Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eircode Anomolies

• 14-07-2015 10:55am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭

As we all know the eircodes were launched yesterday. This thread can be used to highlight the anomalies that are being found.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭mayway

I see that Malahide has a code of K36 and Swords has a code of K67.

For some reason the Swords estate of Waterside has a code K36.

I know that was plenty of debate on this in the past but I thought that it was all sorted out.

Also, Portmarnock, which is in Dublin North County and had an address of Co. Dublin has been somehow transferred to D13 thereby lumping it in with Donaghmede, Baldoyle, Clarehall, Bayside, etc. Is this an official change? Or a mistake?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I see ruins- and indeed houses which have demolished for over 15 years- have Eircodes assigned to them. Also- whats the story with 'We have found multiple possible entries for the address input- please choose from the list below'- and then no list is below?

The OS Maps are a nice touch- shame they are so out of date though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

The only anomalies are that some people will see that they have been using the wrong postal address for years and have gotten away with it.

The postal address is often different to the actual address because of the way mail is delivered. I live on a boundary of two mail routes, if I use my actual address then mail goes to the wrong postman and then back the following day to the correct postman who starts work some 25 miles away.

For some people its always been like that now anyone can look up the anomalies that have always been there and make a fuss about it.

My eircode address for example has had another line added to it (a townland/village 10 miles away in addition to the townland/village that I use) which is quite misleading but the postman doesn't and has never needed that information to deliver mail to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

my3cents wrote: »
    The only anomalies are that some people will see that they have been using the wrong postal address for years and have gotten away with it.

O RLLY?
    So the only anomalies are people using the wrong address? Shannon airport is in Limerick after all! :pac:
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-33510924

I don't think so. My house name is on a sign on the gates, and engraved on the letterbox. It's also on the title.

Eircode shows that particular house name to be off down the other end of the street, where my neighbours have a different name on their house. I'm not using the wrong address.... the eircode site has an error.

• Advertisement

pwurple wrote: »
    O RLLY?
    So the only anomalies are people using the wrong address? Shannon airport is in Limerick after all! :pac:

I don't think so. My house name is on a sign on the gates, and engraved on the letterbox. It's also on the title.

Eircode shows that particular house name to be off down the other end of the street, where my neighbours have a different name on their house. I'm not using the wrong address.... the eircode site has an error.

To be fair, it's not eircode put Shannon in Limerick.This has been going on since forever...

shannon.jpg

pwurple wrote: »
    O RLLY?

You've totally missed the point which is the POSTAL ADDRESS of Shannon Airport is LIMERICK

It just goes to show that An Post treat everyone equally and don't make exceptions for well know locations.

If eircode has an error then the most likely reason is that your address according to An Post was never what you thought it was or that it was wrong on one of the other databases that Eircode consulted to create their database. Mail has got through for years on the bases of the postman knowing where everyone lived. So all you needed to use was an address that got your mail to the correct postman.

We have a name on the gate but not sure how old the name is (house is min 165 yo and probably 200 or more) and Eircode have missed it off our official address. No big deal at the end of the day its still the postman that delivers most of our mail and he'll still be going by our family name.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,233 ✭✭✭✭ted1

mayway wrote: »
    I see that Malahide has a code of K36 and Swords has a code of K67.

For some reason the Swords estate of Waterside has a code K36.

I know that was plenty of debate on this in the past but I thought that it was all sorted out.

Also, Portmarnock, which is in Dublin North County and had an address of Co. Dublin has been somehow transferred to D13 thereby lumping it in with Donaghmede, Baldoyle, Clarehall, Bayside, etc. Is this an official change? Or a mistake?

isn't the whole point of eircode to do away with the address. It's assigning a unique identifying code that needs no other part. so you can forget about towns and everything else.

to post me a letter just write.
    Ted1
    A96 CA12

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

We have a name on the gate but not sure how old the name is (house is min 165 yo and probably 200 or more) and Eircode have missed it off our official address. No big deal at the end of the day its still the postman that delivers most of our mail and he'll still be going by our family name.

Out of all my relatives, my uncle lives in the most rural and remote (a farm in Mayo). He has a name on the gate which only went up maybe 10 years ago. It's on the eircode as the official name of the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,713 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

ted1 wrote: »
    isn't the whole point of eircode to do away with the address. It's assigning a unique identifying code that needs no other part. so you can forget about towns and everything else.

to post me a letter just write.
    Ted1
    A96 CA12

except that the postman isn't going to know where that is, so the street etc would have to be added at the sorting office.

• Advertisement

loyatemu wrote: »
    except that the postman isn't going to know where that is, so the street etc would have to be added at the sorting office.

Letters seem to be delivered with just eircode it seems https://twitter.com/dp_ie/status/620926138269962240

Out of all my relatives, my uncle lives in the most rural and remote (a farm in Mayo). He has a name on the gate which only went up maybe 10 years ago. It's on the eircode as the official name of the property.

That reminds me of the story about a lot of farms in North Wales marked on the Ordinance Survey maps as "Gwyliwch rhag y ci" or "Caewch y git" which translate as Beware of the Dog and Shut the Gate. Link

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭ablelocks

we've been relocated to a neighbouring parish in Co. Clare, which in turn has been relocated to Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

So the fact that our cottage doesn't have an Eircode assigned to it at all isn't an anomaly?

They don't seem too quick to respond to my emailed query on this matter. Is there any other way of getting hold of them?

So the fact that our cottage doesn't have an Eircode assigned to it at all isn't an anomaly?

They don't seem too quick to respond to my emailed query on this matter. Is there any other way of getting hold of them?

I looked mine up Monday online but it arrived in the post today Tuesday the day after the launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,233 ✭✭✭✭ted1

They only realised them yesterday , how are they not quick. Give them a chance would you ,

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

I looked mine up Monday online but it arrived in the post today Tuesday the day after the launch.

They haven't assigned one to our place at all on their map, so not holding my breath for a postal communication :rolleyes: ....yet a farmer down the road has one for both his house and one of this barns?

Our old house, that was demolished two years ago, has an Eircode. The two houses currently being built where it stood- don't. Sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Our old house, that was demolished two years ago, has an Eircode. The two houses currently being built where it stood- don't. Sigh.

Well, a partially built house would hardly get post ?

If you don't have an Eircode assigned then fair enough that is an anomaly, similarly a barn getting an Eircode is an anomally but if the address that the Eircode is assigned to isn't exactly the same as the one you are currently using then I don't call that an anomaly.

Locally while there are 14 addresses that are non unique and effectively the same there are hardly two houses that use that same address. There's a cross road at one end of the road which is a known landmark so some addresses use "xxxx cross" as part of the address. At the other end of the road there is a bridge so thats become part of other peoples address, some use the old delivery route townland in the address with others using the townland the postman now starts his route and then some use the Irish spelling y instead of i in the area name. None of those 14 addresses is exactly the same as the address used by Eircode but none of them are anomalies because just like urban myths the addresses have just developed over time.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭mayway

Any rude ones out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I also moved county overnight. The border is about 2/3 kms up the road but no matter to eircode it seems.

I also moved county overnight. The border is about 2/3 kms up the road but no matter to eircode it seems.

But which side of the boarder does your postman start his route or pick up the mail? A business I've just been dealing with is in Co. Kilkenny but their postal address is and always has been Waterford because their mail comes from Waterford not Kilkenny.

Moved to the Infrastructure forum from the Accommodation and Property forum. Please note- the charter governing Infrastructure applies henceforth- please familiarise yourself with it, if you intend to post here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

But which side of the boarder does your postman start his route or pick up the mail? A business I've just been dealing with is in Co. Kilkenny but their postal address is and always has been Waterford because their mail comes from Waterford not Kilkenny.

It comes from the Louth sorting office which is about 1/2 a kilometre from the Meath border! It's funny how it suits every government department for the easiest route for themselves yet when it comes to CoCo offices or departments that the general public have to travel to and use then it's their way or the highway - most services for where I live are based in Navan, including the Garda Station which is half an hour away, rather than the Drogheda station which is less than 10 minutes away.

It comes from the Louth sorting office which is about 1/2 a kilometre from the Meath border! It's funny how it suits every government department for the easiest route for themselves yet when it comes to CoCo offices or departments that the general public have to travel to and use then it's their way or the highway - most services for where I live are based in Navan, including the Garda Station which is half an hour away, rather than the Drogheda station which is less than 10 minutes away.

Its the same here, the bridge at the end of the road and the river are a boundary for Garda, nearest station 6 miles but the station that covers us is 20 miles away and same with the post. Even the council road gangs meet at the bridge and each does half way across fixing pot holes, so one side is reasonably maintained and the other is much worse.

Snap. We're the border between South Dublin Co. Co. and Fingal Co.Co.
    Neither really give a damn about where we are- but Fingal set up traffic lights on their side of a bridge- which creates mayhem for all the residents on the SDCC side.......

This country is nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

should we start using these eircodes now?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭plodder

mayway wrote: »
    Any rude ones out there?
    Not sure if would be considered rude, but D11 has a set of codes that begin with D11CK.

Seems to have slipped through the cracks though as they weren't supposed to allow codes that would look like names either.

• Advertisement

guile4582 wrote: »
    should we start using these eircodes now?

Yes its a good habit to get into but you don't have to and An Post don't need them.

I will be using mine on the bases that if an item gets misdirected and its correctly addressed with its correct Eircode then I have good reason to complain.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement