Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

no mention of them doing new routes from what I can see but hopefully its a success and encourage them to launch some

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

no mention of them doing new routes from what I can see but hopefully its a success and encourage them to launch some

It is a new route in that it will be serving London City Airport. The city airport is by far the closest airport to Central London with connections to the underground/overground via Docklands Light railway in about 15 mins.

Definitely worth considering instead of Gatwick/Stansted if you factor in the rail fare from those airports.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Cork-Dusseldorf will be announced on Monday operating 2/3 weekly and will allow weekend breaks with a Mon/Fri schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

Excellent news, hope it's up and running soon. Will provide much needed competition for the Cork - Ams route :D

Any clue which carrier?

Excellent news, hope it's up and running soon. Will provide much needed competition for the Cork - Ams route :D

Any clue which carrier?

Aer Lingus and I believe around 26 October.

• Advertisement

Pity, they're going to fix the prices like they do with Duss - Dub Ams - Dub then. Still very happy with that route though, was badly needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

delighted with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

It is a new route in that it will be serving London City Airport. The city airport is by far the closest airport to Central London with connections to the underground/overground via Docklands Light railway in about 15 mins.

Definitely worth considering instead of Gatwick/Stansted if you factor in the rail fare from those airports.

Yep even if the route itself is ~£30/£40 more, the convenience alone if you're staying in the City is worth it. As it's primarily a "business" airport the security lines are extremely efficient too.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

leahyl wrote: »
    Flights are available to book on their website - just checked.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/cityjet-annouces-new-cork-london-service-684553.html

Just as an example: not much difference in price between Aer Lingus and Cityjet for the weekend of 4-7 December - 96e (cityjet) versus 107e (Aer Lingus) - but then different airports. Ryanair is the cheapest to Gatwick at 47e.

If the times suit though, city jet makes the most sense. If you fly into Stansted or Gatwick with ryanair you end up paying a huge amount on the train to actually get to London. And it's not always possible to know that you may have to travel so sometimes you don't get the advantage of booking in advance and get fleeced.

City jets fare includes a check in bag too. All things considered city jet seems to offer by far the best value for money.

Ryanairs offering is poor enough to be honest, and I've noticed recently the cost of their flights to London from cork is creeping up, it's often around 60 return if you book in advance, and you still have to factor in that the airports are miles out.

Aerlingus' offering would be good if you are only bringing hand luggage in all fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

FrStone wrote: »
    If the times suit though, city jet makes the most sense. If you fly into Stansted or Gatwick with ryanair you end up paying a huge amount on the train to actually get to London. And it's not always possible to know that you may have to travel so sometimes you don't get the advantage of booking in advance and get fleeced.

City jets fare includes a check in bag too. All things considered city jet seems to offer by far the best value for money.

Ryanairs offering is poor enough to be honest, and I've noticed recently the cost of their flights to London from cork is creeping up, it's often around 60 return if you book in advance, and you still have to factor in that the airports are miles out.

Aerlingus' offering would be good if you are only bringing hand luggage in all fairness.

Yeah, you are right. I had no idea that cityjet offered free check in luggage before I posted that! And complimentary food and drink!! Yes, it is the better option by far if you factor in the travelling to and from the city also. Think I will definitely be organising a trip to London soon :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Will we be able to get connecting flights from LCY to other destinations with Cityjet.?

New DUS route starts May 2016 and 2 weekly.
    Will we be able to get connecting flights from LCY to other destinations with Cityjet.?

Cork tweeted a list of 12 connections available.

So it seems the Fly From Cork Facebook page has announced the Cork Dusseldorf flight..... starting in May 2016. Absolute joke, better off not saying anything.

was flicking through the channels there sunday and there was an add on UTV Ireland by cityjet promoting the cork to London city route.... good to see it promoted and might help bring cork airport to people attention esp those in the surrounding counties

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Pity the Dusselforf flight isn't starting earlier, still better than nothing. Great destination and really opens up Central Europe from Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Did I hear the Minister announced €1m Marketing Fund for the Airport. Heard on Radio so have no further info on same.

Anyone got a link to this Fund.....is it DTTAS monies or Cork money??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Masala wrote: »
    Did I hear the Minister announced €1m Marketing Fund for the Airport. Heard on Radio so have no further info on same.

Anyone got a link to this Fund.....is it DTTAS monies or Cork money??

€1m marketing fund through Tourism Ireland.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/stakeholders-who-sold-cork-help-secure-major-air-route-341106.html

This is a load of nonsense from Paschal Donohoe anyway.We are still down 1 million passengers just to get back to where we were in the first place.When asked the other day on 96fm about making Cork Airport independent,he just brushed it aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭thomil

€1m marketing fund through Tourism Ireland.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/stakeholders-who-sold-cork-help-secure-major-air-route-341106.html

This is a load of nonsense from Paschal Donohoe anyway.We are still down 1 million passengers just to get back to where we were in the first place.When asked the other day on 96fm about making Cork Airport independent,he just brushed it aside.

And it originally took three years to get from 2 million passengers to 3 million, and that was back in the boom years of the Celtic Tiger. I just checked the statistics myself. Also, some people tend to forget that the Cardiff route, the London City route, and the new route do Düsseldorf were all secured by the same marketing team that is accused of failing or selling out Cork Airport.
    These routes don't pop up overnight, that is a planning process and sales pitch that can last months, if not years until an airline is ready to announce it.
    I think it is high time we cut the DAA some slack here. The important part is that we get more connectivity here in Cork, and it should be irrelevant who lands the deals.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

EMC pulls one of it's departments from Cork over lack of air connectivity.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/emc-looks-to-uk-amid-connectivity-concerns-341542.html

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

Alot of this is on the back of the storage solution that Aerlingus went for roughly 2 years ago. EMC were in the running for the solution and Tegile won out here.
    I think with City Jet this may change, although in the back i don't know who the vendor behind the storage is.

• Advertisement

Alot of this is on the back of the storage solution that Aerlingus went for roughly 2 years ago. EMC were in the running for the solution and Tegile won out here.
    I think with City Jet this may change, although in the back i don't know who the vendor behind the storage is.

Aer lingus don't have ownership of Cork airport. Are you hatching some conspiracy theory where Aer Lingus dislike EMC so much that they both use different hardware for storage AND stop their ability to fly their workers around?

pwurple wrote: »
    Aer lingus don't have ownership of Cork airport. Are you hatching some conspiracy theory where Aer Lingus dislike EMC so much that they both use different hardware for storage AND stop their ability to fly their workers around?

Where did i say that?

Hope this will be a wake up call to the powers that be but I doubt it. Yes its 20 positions but apart from the loss of revenue they bring its not a good story on a wider scale for attracting business to Cork. Hopefully with the increase of connectivity to London with cityjet, it may go some way in addressing the issue....

The jobs been moved is nothing more than an "excuse".

Clearly DUB connections didn't meet their needs.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

In fairness there is a big difference between Cork and London airports for connectivity, no contest.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    The jobs been moved is nothing more than an "excuse".

Clearly DUB connections didn't meet their needs.....

I guess I'm old enough to have some buddies long in the tooth in EMC. They constantly mention the problem getting flights out of cork. It's a pain in the backside. Same for any of the other global companies in cork. Apple, j&j etc. the issue has high visibility in corporates.

Direct flights to heaps of business destinations just do not exist anymore, or are scheduled at utterly pointless times/dates for work. Look at that Brussels flight for goodness sake. Useless times.

And then there's the new fiasco of flights being announced, and the route pulled again a few weeks later. Prague, Ibiza for recent examples. It makes the airport seem very unreliable.

What business people want is pretty simple. a flight in the morning, and a flight back in the evening, so they can catch a couple of meetings. It doesn't have to be every day, two or three days a week would do.

Driving to Dublin, getting a flight from there, fly back there, and drive home again is unreasonable for that kind of work.

Where did i say that?

I'm struggling to see the link between air lingus storage decisions, and EMC's inability to fly from the airport. You said it was on the back of that.

Join the dots there for me?

pwurple wrote: »
    I'm struggling to see the link between air lingus storage decisions, and EMC's inability to fly from the airport. You said it was on the back of that.

Join the dots there for me?

Aerlingus is the sole airline running between the primary hub, Heathrow and cork. EMC now use, when possible, BA between Heathrow and Dublin.
    Being in cork, and most of the flight options being with aerlingus this makes this fragile relationship with emc difficult.

I'm not saying the lack of Air services to Cork is not part of the problem but them leaving Cork for London is realistically an excuse. DUB has major air links and that wasn't suitable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    I'm not saying the lack of Air services to Cork is not part of the problem but them leaving Cork for London is realistically an excuse. DUB has major air links and that wasn't suitable.

Moving the EBC to Dublin wasn't an option, they only have a handful of people in a sales office there. They already have an EBC and full operations in London. Their clients weren't happy with a 3 hour trek down to Cork from DUB or even the shorter drive from Shannon. EMC are putting the squeeze on for a direct Boston flight once a week.

Advertisement