Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S4 thread - See Mod Warning in Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

I'm having some trouble with my S4 today. The phone was working perfectly this morning with the battery at 100%. I went to use it then around 10am and the screen was blank. Tried using the power key but nothing happens. When I take the battery out and put it back in, the phone vibrates and the screen shows Galaxy S4 but then goes blank again. This happens every time you replace the battery. I've tried plugging in the charger now when I got home but there is still nothing happening. I've found some troubleshooting guides online and tried soft resets etc but still nothing. Has anyone got any suggestions?

I have the phone 2 years, so it's probably time for an upgrade but I was trying to hold off until after the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭paska

markc1184 wrote: »
    I'm having some trouble with my S4 today. The phone was working perfectly this morning with the battery at 100%. I went to use it then around 10am and the screen was blank. Tried using the power key but nothing happens. When I take the battery out and put it back in, the phone vibrates and the screen shows Galaxy S4 but then goes blank again. This happens every time you replace the battery. I've tried plugging in the charger now when I got home but there is still nothing happening. I've found some troubleshooting guides online and tried soft resets etc but still nothing. Has anyone got any suggestions?

I have the phone 2 years, so it's probably time for an upgrade but I was trying to hold off until after the summer.

Had similar problem and boothed in in safe mode. After that it was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

paska wrote: »
    Had similar problem and boothed in in safe mode. After that it was fine.

Thanks for the suggestion, I have tried getting the phone to boot in safe mode but once the phone turns off I can't get it to come back on using the power button and when I replace the battery to power it that way as soon as I press the volume key for safe mode it knocks off again.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kc56

Lollipop 5.0.1 roll for the S4 has started at least by eMobile/Meteor.

First impressions are a speed up of the device and lower battery consumption. The phone does not get as hot as it did with 4.4.2.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

What custom ROM is everyone using at the moment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

What custom ROM is everyone using at the moment?

I'm just using vanilla Clockworkmod , makes the phone look like a stock Google Lollipop phone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I'm just using vanilla Clockworkmod , makes the phone look like a stock Google Lollipop phone

Clockwork isn't a rom?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

My son broke the screen on his S4 a little while ago. Anyone know a good place to get replaced in Cork area. Any idea of price. tks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Having updated my meteor s4 with the latest software at 6pm today, I am now stuck with a phone that keeps switching itself off within 30 seconds of turning it on. Anyway to do undo the update on the phone or any solutions?

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Clockwork isn't a rom?

Sorry - Cyanogenmod!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

duffman13 wrote: »
    Having updated my meteor s4 with the latest software at 6pm today, I am now stuck with a phone that keeps switching itself off within 30 seconds of turning it on. Anyway to do undo the update on the phone or any solutions?

I had this too and you just have to bite the bullet and do a full reset. It happened a second time too but 3 times a charm and it's going OK now for 2 weeks or so

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Sorry - Cyanogenmod!

Is it any good?

Is it any good?

I like it. It's simplistic in design, and pretty customisable too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

My S4 is asking me (annoyingly at this stage) to update.
    I presume it's to lollipop 5.0x or something!

I'm quite happy with the phone as is, only (minor) issue is the battery. I have the Solo launcher and I'm very happy with it.

Should I update ?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kc56

My S4 is asking me (annoyingly at this stage) to update.
    I presume it's to lollipop 5.0x or something!

I'm quite happy with the phone as is, only (minor) issue is the battery. I have the Solo launcher and I'm very happy with it.

Should I update ?!?

The update to 5.0.1 for my S4 was an improvement over 4.4.2. Faster operation and better battery life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭markc91

Lads ive had the phone 2 years in july and i think its on its last legs battery wise it wont last me through an 8 hour shift in work with wifi and flight mode on and moderate use. In the halfhour between unplugging it and getting to work its already down 10%.... Any tips on getting the most out of it until i can upgrade???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭south

Buy a new battery. Or even a few of them!
    https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10005213/1414104-3-8v-2600mah-replacement-li-ion-battery-for
    Bought a few of these myself and they work fine. Delivery can take a few weeks but for the price I don't see much difference between them and the original one

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Ofc buy a new battery Mark, that is the whole advantage of the models that you can change the battery!!
    Why the S6 lost a few fans, that option was taken away!!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭KazDub

I wasn't too pushed about upgrading to Android 5 until my phone broke and I borrowed an S4 running 5. Wow, what a difference. The battery lasted hours longer than my phone running 4 and I love the look and feel of 5. This is where I ran into a problem though, with my rooted S4 which I have again. I rooted it last year using Towel Root. Trying to upgrade using the OTA or Kies doesn't work. OTA stops installing at 29% and Kies just tells me that it can't do it. I had since uninstalled TowelRoot to free up space so installed it again in the hope that I could use it to temporarily re-root the phone. Now TowelRoot tells me that my device is not currently supported. I've tried SuperSU, Clockwork Mod, Titanium and a few others I've since forgotten.
    Does anyone know of a way that I can either install Lollipop on my current set up or temporarily re-root the phone so that the OTA or Kies will allow me to upgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Anker batteries are very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

KazDub wrote: »
    I wasn't too pushed about upgrading to Android 5 until my phone broke and I borrowed an S4 running 5. Wow, what a difference. The battery lasted hours longer than my phone running 4 and I love the look and feel of 5. This is where I ran into a problem though, with my rooted S4 which I have again. I rooted it last year using Towel Root. Trying to upgrade using the OTA or Kies doesn't work. OTA stops installing at 29% and Kies just tells me that it can't do it. I had since uninstalled TowelRoot to free up space so installed it again in the hope that I could use it to temporarily re-root the phone. Now TowelRoot tells me that my device is not currently supported. I've tried SuperSU, Clockwork Mod, Titanium and a few others I've since forgotten.
    Does anyone know of a way that I can either install Lollipop on my current set up or temporarily re-root the phone so that the OTA or Kies will allow me to upgrade?

I have the exact same problem, haven't found a fix anywhere so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭NegativeOne

I have the exact same problem, haven't found a fix anywhere so far

Is it not possible to return it to stock with something like this?

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

Is it not possible to return it to stock with something like this?

Link

Yes it is. I moved to 5.x using this method ( UK variation with an additional update) because of 3's heel dragging. Previous was 4.3 rooted.

>Sol

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭KazDub

akaSol wrote: »
    Yes it is. I moved to 5.x using this method ( UK variation with an additional update) because of 3's heel dragging. Previous was 4.3 rooted.

>Sol

I'm following the steps and am just wondering what file this refers to:
    "Step 4) unzip the downloaded firmware, u will get a tar file."
    I'm obviously supposed to have downloaded something from somewhere before getting to this stage (Vodafone stock rom?). Can this be downloaded or what am I supposed to be doing?

Ordered the Zerolemon 7500mah extended battery over the weekend on Amazon.. Looking forward to seeing how it performs!

Ordered the Zerolemon 7500mah extended battery over the weekend on Amazon.. Looking forward to seeing how it performs!

Keep us updated!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭rabwaygal

I am only after noticing my battery has swollen up. Its pushing out the back of the case and even lifting up a small portion of the front of the screen.

The battery life dropped off massively in the last few weeks (full charge without use would only last a few hours / phone would turn off after dropping below 40% etc)

I was using a car charger a lot of the times so this may have caused it? But will drop the phone into the store to see what happens.

Has anyone else had the same issue (I had this phone since launch).

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

rabwaygal wrote: »
    I am only after noticing my battery has swollen up. Its pushing out the back of the case and even lifting up a small portion of the front of the screen.

The battery life dropped off massively in the last few weeks (full charge without use would only last a few hours / phone would turn off after dropping below 40% etc)

I was using a car charger a lot of the times so this may have caused it? But will drop the phone into the store to see what happens.

Has anyone else had the same issue (I had this phone since launch).

There is a known issue of Samsung S4 batteries swelling - Samsung have in the past replaced them FOC but considering a new S4 battery is <€15 look to purchase a new one ?

>Sol

have you a link to it on amazon found one but won't ship to dublin?

• Advertisement

markc91 wrote: »
    have you a link to it on amazon found one but won't ship to dublin?
    This is the one I used

http://www.amazon.co.uk/warranty-ZeroLemon-Protection-Compatible-International/dp/B00CXZI3DQ

Cost 48.80 in total.

Its in Chicago now according to the tracking

Advertisement