Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

m17 wrote: »
    There are 3 roundabouts been put in tuam 1 at the west wing 2 before Parsons garage turn off for dunmore 3 Milltown side of Parsons garage

Youve lost me
    How many altogether ?

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

D Trent wrote:
    Youve lost me How many altogether ?

There will be 2 on the bypass, one at westwing, second at Parsons end. There is however a third roundabout being built at the Dunmore, Kilcloughans (spelling) intersection, so not really on the actual bypass.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭f2

Blasting due to start in Corofin next Tues 9

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

I have taken more pics around corofin lots of plant have landed

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Very good pictures - well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭busyatwork

They are getting ready to shift the bog at tuam and draw in rock
    once they bog is clear them dumptrucks will be gone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

How many minutes will this shave off a Tuam-Galway journey?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,401 ✭✭✭✭kippy

How many minutes will this shave off a Tuam-Galway journey?

It depends what point in Galway you are going to and whether you'd be taking the motorway or staying on the N17.

This road (M17) joins the M6 the city side of Athenry. So you'd have to come in with all the traffic coming in that way onto the M6 junction then take whichever route suits.
    It could be possible that the increase in traffic on this side of what is already pretty congested in the morning would mean that for many it may be just as "fast" to go on the old road as the new road would probably take a portion of traffic off the old road and may in fact lead to quicker journey times on the N17, even if the speed limit is dropped to 80K.

It all depends on traffic, where you are going too etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,950 ✭✭✭threeball

What's the big chasm in IMG182?

Road closure at ballinaphuil corofin from 08/06/15 to 28/02/16

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

threeball wrote: »
    What's the big chasm in IMG182?

id say thats a "face" for the blasting process ...when the dynamite is detonated it will cause the earth/stones to move in that direction ..the path of least resistance. the further away from the face the later* the detonations occur.

*when i say later im talking fractions of seconds later :)

kippy wrote: »
    It depends what point in Galway you are going to and whether you'd be taking the motorway or staying on the N17.

This road (M17) joins the M6 the city side of Athenry. So you'd have to come in with all the traffic coming in that way onto the M6 junction then take whichever route suits.
    It could be possible that the increase in traffic on this side of what is already pretty congested in the morning would mean that for many it may be just as "fast" to go on the old road as the new road would probably take a portion of traffic off the old road and may in fact lead to quicker journey times on the N17, even if the speed limit is dropped to 80K.

It all depends on traffic, where you are going too etc etc
    would be leaving tuam at 3pm. Leaving galway (ballybrit) at 11.30pm

I have been in two minds as to whether it would be worthwhile to go this route....

I have been in two minds as to whether it would be worthwhile to go this route....

For you, at those times, it will likely work out the same timewise. One will be a further distance but higher speed limit.

This will have a major impact on those used to 40 min tail backs in Claregalway or spending 20 mins trying to get through Tuam during peak times

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Thanks M17, those are great photos. :)

Time will tell. There are a lot of variables at play.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Motorway is 7-10 times safer than S2 road. For what its worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

A very badly taken photo at Kiltiernan where they are building the new structure

And other looking at the motorway back to Gort

They have started work on the bridge at mahanagh corofin

Motorway is 7-10 times safer than S2 road. For what its worth.
    Your a fountain of knowledge. :D

They're not running parallel to each other. One runs straight(ish) from Tuam to Galway. The other will involve clocking up a lot more miles - Tuam-Athenry-Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Claregalway at the time you'd be hitting it inbound would not be fun 9 months of the year. Direct home at 11:30 is unlikely to be overly delayed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

They're not running parallel to each other. One runs straight(ish) from Tuam to Galway. The other will involve clocking up a lot more miles - Tuam-Athenry-Galway.
    its more, but whether its a "lot" is debatable.

Direct from Ballybane to Tuam via Claregalway (so a common commute) is 34km and according to google should take 36min with very little traffic. With traffic, more like a shade under an hour is realistic.
    Via the new motorway will be about 40km. Taking a point 40km down the M6 (so equivalent to M6+M17 to Tuam) would take 25min journey time so a saving of 10minutes despite the longer distance.

NOW, you can go the old road, and take 10min longer on a good day, 30min+longer on a bad day, but for the sake of 6km extra I think the new road is not a bad alternative.

EDIT, should the old road get an 80kmh limit then the time difference will be greater again, in favour of the new road.

its more, but whether its a "lot" is debatable.

Direct from Ballybane to Tuam via Claregalway (so a common commute) is 34km and according to google should take 36min with very little traffic. With traffic, more like a shade under an hour is realistic.
    Via the new motorway will be about 40km. Taking a point 40km down the M6 (so equivalent to M6+M17 to Tuam) would take 25min journey time so a saving of 10minutes despite the longer distance.

NOW, you can go the old road, and take 10min longer on a good day, 30min+longer on a bad day, but for the sake of 6km extra I think the new road is not a bad alternative.

EDIT, should the old road get an 80kmh limit then the time difference will be greater again, in favour of the new road.

I think you miss the point that the time advantage of the new road will be directly impacted by the number of commuters that decide to use it.
    Essentially if EVERYONE that currently uses the N17 decides to use the M17 ALL the traffic that came into town via that road will be forced to use the existing M6 junction and merge with all of the traffic coming in from the south of the city which is quite a substantial amount. Unless there people use other arteries to come into town.
    Same for going home essentially although there are so many variables it would be difficult to call.

I suppose as someone mentioned earlier there is also the safety aspect to take into account. Travelling on motorway is much safer than standard roadway and that, to someone who would commute daily may be a major consideration as well as potential time savings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Well, dunno about the M17/18/6....but Kilternan to Ballymun "direct" (through the city) is 22km and takes about an hour at 10am; via the M50 it is 45km and takes about 30 minutes.

I'd always use the motorway.

@munchkin_utd/kippy: Thanks for that. I wasn't sure how it would pan out. Other road becoming a nuisance for speed detection (and that's before they pull it down to 80KM/hr.) - driving on it at otherwise quiet times. Between the slight time saving and ease of driving, will be happy to take m'way instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

As Munchkin_utd pointed out its only 6km longer, over the 34 km old route.

It's much quicker to go from Loughrea to Galway on the new n65/m6 than the old road, even though its longer

Got a letter from roadbridge about bridge construction

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Czhornet

Got a letter from roadbridge about bridge construction

Thats for the earth retaining walls forming part of the bridge face. They are precast and are finished ready to be installed, kinda like a huge jigsaw puzzle.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭severeoversteer

As Munchkin_utd pointed out its only 6km longer, over the 34 km old route.

It's much quicker to go from Loughrea to Galway on the new n65/m6 than the old road, even though its longer

ihave to disagree with the loughrea to galway statement

I travel that route a few times a day and the old road wins hands down theres about 7 minutes of a difference in favoiur of the old road

as long as the old road stays at 100kph ill be going the old road.

• Advertisement

There are alerts up at Kiltiernan that there will be road works commencing Wednesday June 15th. Serious progress over the last few weeks there.

Advertisement