Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JOBS IN WATERFORD.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,981 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

It's fairly hard go get a bar job if u don't have experience or know a bar owner

I'd say its simple enough work and plenty of opportunities

If there was a bar course I'd deff do it

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭JourneyMan8

PTH2009 wrote: »
    It's fairly hard go get a bar job if u don't have experience or know a bar owner

I'd say its simple enough work and plenty of opportunities

If there was a bar course I'd deff do it

totally agree - why there aren't bar courses around ill never know(even FAS don't do them as far as i know) there's an idea for someone on here - im sure there would be alot of takers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

totally agree - why there aren't bar courses around ill never know(even FAS don't do them as far as i know) there's an idea for someone on here - im sure there would be alot of takers.

I could be wrong but i think fas or another agency used to them in the jute factory and the WIT do a hospitality course

I could be wrong but i think fas or another agency used to them in the jute factory and the WIT do a hospitality course
    Yeah there was one a few years ago but I wasn't accepted to it. I done tourism in wit which is run next to a hospitality and culinary course. I just wish a stand alone bar course ran full or part time. I think failte Ireland stopped the bar course in favour of the full time courses

A standard bar job I'd say you would learn on the job but a bar which sells cocktails and all that you need training.

The moneys not great but I'd say it's a handy enough job

If you don't have a third level qualification its very hard to get any job nowadays. I have 2 worthless fetac certs (Waterford college of further education is a waste of time Imo unless you're doing beauty courses). Plus Jobs bridge schemes have also wrecked meaningful employment . Also in Ireland it's who you know not what you know or if your good looking you're sorted lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,732 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I have took the option of emailing places asking to do a few months internship. Companies don't mind a bit of free work you are showing you want to work in that company and if you do well their is a chance you will get hired. If you don't get a job you will get experience which will help you find a job. I think this is far better than being stuck on Jobsbridge for 9 months its also better than doing a FAS course or sitting around doing nothing.

• Advertisement

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I have took the option of emailing places asking to do a few months internship. Companies don't mind a bit of free work you are showing you want to work in that company and if you do well their is a chance you will get hired. If you don't get a job you will get experience which will help you find a job. I think this is far better than being stuck on Jobsbridge for 9 months its also better than doing a FAS course or sitting around doing nothing.

what is the reaction of this now that JobBridge is around, knowing that companies get incentives to take people on for JobBridge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

As was mentioned above, there was one a few years ago. I done it and it was mostly geared towards working in hotels etc. It involved more waiting on tables taking orders etc. If you were after that kind of work then its a good course to do but if its just pub/club work then its not really any help imo. The way to get started working in bars is if you know some one or if you apply to a pub/club and work the floor first then move into the bar. Most places hire train new bar staff that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Wouldn't exactly say a bar job is handy, handy if you're up for hard work maybe, theres a lot of it required, you need to be on your game constantly, its not all pretty work either, cleaning toilets, moving kegs, stocking fridges/ice, cutting fruit, cleaning broken glass/sick/whatever else people do isn't pleasant to do but if you're willing to work as hard as you can you'd enjoy it, not so much if you're not up for that.

No amount of bar courses can teach you how to deal with drunken people either. Its extremely hard to get into a bar in Waterford, that I can say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Today is closing day for applications so the most you will have by now is an acknowledgement of the app being filled out.

anyone heard anything back yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

anyone heard anything back yet?

Probably sifting through the couple of 1000 Cvs they received

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Same crowd that runs the edison in cork staff have been hired with weeks im afraid...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Little bit off topic, but Ive been looking through the job adverts online and was just wondering what are internships?
    They seem to just be normal jobs but for some reason the employer only has to pay 50 euro a week but people keep their social welfare? Thats hardly great is it, Im sure lots of people would rather just be paid for their work doing and not have to collect their allowance still?

deise_girl wrote: »
    Little bit off topic, but Ive been looking through the job adverts online and was just wondering what are internships?
    They seem to just be normal jobs but for some reason the employer only has to pay 50 euro a week but people keep their social welfare? Thats hardly great is it, Im sure lots of people would rather just be paid for their work doing and not have to collect their allowance still?

Its Jobsbridge...a government scheme to keep the unemployment figures down.

obezyana wrote: »
    Its Jobsbridge...a government scheme to keep the unemployment figures down.

also the business get a chunk for taking you on, its a good (ish) scheme but the pay is ridiculous to be fair. you get more for doing a pointless course in FAS.

also the business get a chunk for taking you on, its a good (ish) scheme but the pay is ridiculous to be fair. you get more for doing a pointless course in FAS.

Oh I'm not knocking it at all. If I were after a certain job and Jobsbridge was a way in I would gladly do it. I'm sure there has been plenty of success stories and its a shame we only hear about the bad things that are happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

Just applied for a job with edrive. Hard to find much info about the company online. Anyone know anything about this company?

Just applied for a job with edrive. Hard to find much info about the company online. Anyone know anything about this company?

http://edrivegroup.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 33 blaagirl03

I also applied. Emailed them a week ago and no acknowledgement they received my application...hate that!!!! Think they fit security camera systems to commercial vehicles. Must be a new expanding co. Never heard of them before!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

Anyone know anything about Zenith Ideas? They've just expanded into Waterford it seems. I've an interview there on Thursday - anyone know if it's all door sales and that sort of thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 GenGenie

Hi,

Do you know of any accountancy jobs going in Waterford city ? I have multi-national experience and am looking to move from galway to Wexford.

Thanks,
    Regina

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

GenGenie wrote: »
    Hi,

Do you know of any accountancy jobs going in Waterford city ? I have multi-national experience and am looking to move from galway to Wexford.

Thanks,
    Regina

Pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Anyone who applied to Hasbro hear back from them?

Not yet no (well I've not heard anything!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

STIG83 wrote: »
    Anyone who applied to Hasbro hear back from them?

Haven't heard anything back either!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭burkey85

Think hasbro filled positions already

• Registered Users Posts: 2 griffy93

A friend of mine got a call and an interview from Hasbro on Tuesday, got the job yesterday. I applied well before her but got no call. She was one of the last to apply I'd say too. They could have gone through who they wanted already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 griffy93

A friend of mine got a call and an interview from Hasbro on Tuesday, got the job yesterday. I applied well before her but got no call. She was one of the last to apply I'd say too. They could have gone through who they wanted already.

griffy93 wrote: »

Yep they are filled, got e-mail today (which was a reply to one I sent in querying situation)

Yep they are filled, got e-mail today (which was a reply to one I sent in querying situation)

Hard luck. I wonder how many of these new workers are related to higher ups or other workers there. I must of done something bad that anytime I apply for a job nobody gets back to me . Makes u wonder why do u even bother

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Hard luck. I wonder how many of these new workers are related to higher ups or other workers there. I must of done something bad that anytime I apply for a job nobody gets back to me . Makes u wonder why do u even bother

I worked in Hasbro for a while and I know people working in there now. I can assure you that people getting jobs in there is not through having relatives in there.

Advertisement