Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

This post has been deleted.

I think this requires a media campaign rather than a political one.

The current narrative in the national media is that Cork Airport is merely suffering the effects of the end of the Celtic Tiger and lack of demand.
    (we already established this was a fallacy in the previous thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95017871&postcount=912)

The media decouple various symptoms into separate stories,
    i) dire state of regional roads
    ii) lack of capital spending in the regions
    ii) Cork Airport strangulation by the DAA

Yet they're all just sub-issues of the 1 overarching issue;
    i.e. the lack of local government powers under an archaic model inherited from the British and lack of a National Planning Framework to deal with that model's shortcomings

It's like a doctor diagnosing a patient having chronic fatigue, then chronic diarrhoea, then pneumonia, without ever understanding they stem from the fact that the patient has AIDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Talks of getting a Cork Dusseldorf services under the IAG agreement..would be welcome from a business side anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Rumour doing the rounds that Prague and Ibeza have been cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Did either route actually get off the ground before being cancelled?

Not that I'm aware of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭corkonion

From today's examiner...
    New Cork Airport routes in doubt before first flights take off
    Monday, June 01, 2015
    By Eoin English
    Irish Examiner Reporter

There are fears for the future of two key summer routes at Cork Airport which are facing the axe even before the first flights take off.
    CSA Czech Airlines last night blamed poor advance bookings for its decision to review the planned launches within weeks of its Cork to Prague and Cork to Ibiza routes.
    The airline said that it will announce within days whether it plans to proceed with the routes or not.
    The Cork to Prague route, which was announced last November, was due to operate twice weekly on Friday and Mondays from Cork and Thursdays and Sundays from Prague.
    It would have added 13,000 seats available to and from Cork Airport over the summer.
    CZA then announced plans in March to launch a twice weekly Cork to Ibiza service, operating from June 11 to late September. It would have added 8,000 seats to the airport’s schedule.
    Both route announcements were hailed as positive developments for the airport, which has seen passenger numbers plummet in recent years.
    However, concerns about the future of the Prague service emerged last month when its mid-May launch date was pushed back.
    Concerns about the Ibiza route emerged over the weekend.
    Despite confusion of social media over the weekend, the Irish Examiner has confirmed that the planned launches of both routes are “under review”.
    In a statement last night, CSA said: “The advanced bookings for both routes in Ireland and the Czech Republic has not yet matched our expectations for the new services.
    “Czech Airlines’ management is currently analysing the situation and will make a decision about the Cork-Prague and Cork-Ibiza services during the first half of next week.”
    Cork Airport said that it was disappointed at the decision.
    “Both services are eligible for Cork Airport’s new route incentive scheme, meaning Czech Airlines pays no passenger charges at Cork during the first year of the new route,” a spokesman said.
    “A marketing support fund was also made available by Cork Airport to Czech Airlines to advertise and promote the new services.”
    Fianna Fáil councillor Tom O’Driscoll said the review decision was disappointing but not surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,055 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

roundymac wrote: »
    Rumour doing the rounds that Prague and Ibeza have been cancelled.

I had a look into the Prague one and thought the prices were quite dear tbh. I also think people down here are just conditioned to check out flights from Dublin first and just don't even consider what's available in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

Also from today's Examiner.
    An opinion piece by the DAA's chief executive Kevin Toland.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/viewpoints/analysis/its-time-to-get-cork-airport-flying-again-333857.html

Here he has a cut at Shannon.
    Short-term tactics by one airport operator are clearly distorting the market at present.
    I know from my days in the dairy industry that operators with ageing facilities will often discount heavily and use alternative income streams to support a business. But, ultimately, quality and a better business always wins out.

Also makes a good point about lack of co-ordinated tourism efforts.
    There is no doubt that we need more targeted and better promotion of Cork and the south of Ireland region overseas. Google ‘Cork tourism’, for example, and you’ll get competing websites from Cork City Council, Cork County Council, a West Cork tourism site, and a link to Fáilte Ireland’s local information office in Cork city. Search for ‘visit Ireland south’ and it’s no better.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    I had a look into the Prague one and thought the prices were quite dear tbh. I also think people down here are just conditioned to check out flights from Dublin first and just don't even consider what's available in Cork.

I'd say they're also conditioned to just look at what Aer Lingus and Ryanair offer from Cork rather than any other operator. Apart from long haul and package holidays, most Irish people forget that other options might be available, especially as there are so few alternatives to the big two outside of Dublin - I can only think of flybe at Knock (and Cork if it gets going) and VLM at Waterford.

bang on there cosmo Yes a lot of people I know only ever check those two websites for flights.

Also to the airport marketing team need to do more there is a social media presence for both the airport and a fly cork facebook/twitter account.....these don't be used much to make people away of flights esp those operated by other carriers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

Apart from long haul and package holidays, most Irish people forget that other options might be available, especially as there are so few alternatives to the big two outside of Dublin - I can only think of flybe at Knock (and Cork if it gets going) and VLM at Waterford.

Which brings us back to the disgrace that was Ryanair forcing Wizz Air out of Cork.

They had their only Irish hub here doing four or five flights to Eastern Europe. They did it without any fanfare or flight launches and everybody seemed happy.

Ryanair came in, undercut them, forced them out and then ****ed off to Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

So its official now that Czech Airlines have cancelled Prague and Ibiza before they even started.That is embarrassing on epic levels.Some serious $hit needs to be done and fast.I'll say it again,Cork politicians are failing the people badly.The whole region is losing out.NOT GOOD ENOUGH.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,464 ✭✭✭highlydebased

The statement:
    "Earlier today, after thorough analyses, Czech Airlines Management has decided not to launch operations of two-planned new services from Cork, i.e. not to operate the Cork–Prague and the Cork–Ibiza routes. Passenger volume development and advanced bookings for the routes and markets the Czech and the Irish, despite intensive marketing and business support did not match our expectations and wasn't in line with the original estimates and calculations. On the basis of bookings development launching operations on the routes wouldn't be economically viable from the Czech Airlines’ perspective. Czech Airlines authorizes free refund of unused or partially used OK validated tickets provided under condition they were issued for one of the above-mentioned flights."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

So its official now that Czech Airlines have cancelled Prague and Ibiza before they even started.That is embarrassing on epic levels.Some serious $hit needs to be done and fast.I'll say it again,Cork politicians are failing the people badly.The whole region is losing out.NOT GOOD ENOUGH.:mad:

the rot has already set in, I fear. Most people I've spoken to already bypass cork when looking for flights and just search out of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,055 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

And the message this gives other airlines considering Cork is....AVOID!

http://www.therouteshop.com/profiles/cork-airport/

Cork advertises over 30 unserved routes as being available and viable on the above aviation advertising website, including Prague. However, I would question how many of the listed European routes would be viable to any carrier other then Aer Lingus and Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

Where did the Dusseldorf rumour come from actually?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Where did the Dusseldorf rumour come from actually?

One of the possibly, maybe, hopefully IAG routes announced by the government at the Aer Lingus sale, iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭kub

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    One of the possibly, maybe, hopefully IAG routes announced by the government at the Aer Lingus sale, iirc

So a politician said it.......must be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Maxmelay

I actually booked a ticket to go to Prague. Did someone get any refund already from Czech Airlines?

• Advertisement

If you are flying out of Cork with Aer Lingus between 6am and 8am you can now check in your baggage the day before between 4 and 7pm. I used this facility out of Dublin last year and found it great. Only one person need turn up but must present tickets/boarding cards and passports for all.

Reports Cityjet are to announce a cork London city service....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭.red.

3 times a day supposedly!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

.red. wrote: »

Mash them together and you'd probably have something decent.

KC is way above any of them, but there are some awful presenters on both stations, the less said about the same 5 lads tweeting the Opinion Line everyday the better.

razorblunt wrote: »
    Mash them together and you'd probably have something decent.

KC is way above any of them, but there are some awful presenters on both stations, the less said about the same 5 lads tweeting the Opinion Line everyday the better.

Lol.
    this is the cork airport thread, not the 96 fm V Red fm thread!

Actually a guy from Cityjet was on radio one yesterday morning.he was asked about the AIG takeover and the effects on shannon and cork.said they see great protential for cork never mentioned shannon. Heres hoping the london city services is promoted well and is a success and it would encourage them to launch a few new routes

There was a few cityjet bigwigs due in this motlrning to announce the routes and times. Think its 19 times a week?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Flights are available to book on their website - just checked.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/cityjet-annouces-new-cork-london-service-684553.html

Just as an example: not much difference in price between Aer Lingus and Cityjet for the weekend of 4-7 December - 96e (cityjet) versus 107e (Aer Lingus) - but then different airports. Ryanair is the cheapest to Gatwick at 47e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭kooga

fantastic to be flying into london city, as i travel to greenwich a couple of times a month..........so this is the business

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Lol.
    this is the cork airport thread, not the 96 fm V Red fm thread!

Ha, whoops! You know I went looking for this the other day in the other thread and couldn't find it. Thought I was going mad!
    Too many tabs open ... too many tabs!

Advertisement