Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Meadows and Byrne .... That's just homeware no ?

Walking distance in Bunratty there is not much to do other than pubs and the castle without a car:
    http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Attractions-g212526-Activities-Bunratty_County_Clare.html#MAPVIEW

No. Upstairs in one side of the building is homeware. Downstairs on that side is crystal, souvenirs, belleek pottery etc. On the other side, downstairs is Clothing (men and womens) and upstairs is a very nice cafe. It is a busy spot and a stop off point for a lot of coach tours. There is also a garden centre at the side. If you want something else to do, you can go to Bunratty Winery.

You asked for something to do with 15 minutes by taxi. The bus is available, but you asked for a 15 minute taxi ride. I gave you one with lots to do. And if you've been to Bunratty, everything there is walking distance. Its a village.

Bunratty is also a stop off point for a lot of tour operators, and a lot of US visitors and EU visitors start or end their Irish visit their or in the area when going through Shannon. If you have a car, there is a lot more to do within 15 minutes and within an hour or so you have the Burren, Loop head, Cliffs of Moher. You are pretty much bang smack on the Wild Atlantic Way. As close as any airport will get to an attraction.

Shannon town itself is limited, but its an industrial town with a lot of multi nationals in the main Industrial Estate, Smithstown industrial Estate and more recently, but just as important the Westpark campus. Multinationals like Molex, Intel, Element Six, E.I, Genworth, Zimmer, Pepper Group, GE. Shannon Aerospace, Lufthansa, Eirtech etc etc. There is a lot of people employed in Shannon.

The idea that there is nothing in the immediate Shannon area is utter nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

http://www.transportforireland.ie/taxi/taxi-fare-estimator/

Shannon Airport to the Strand Hotel Limerick - 1 Passenger

€31.40 to €41.60
    Please note: the above fare is an indicative estimate only and should not be taken as a guaranteed fare.
    Distance 23.8 km
    No traffic (26 min)
    Heavy traffic (47 min)

4 passengers on the Night rate with a booked taxi:

€44.20 to €55.60
    Please note: the above fare is an indicative estimate only and should not be taken as a guaranteed fare.
    Distance 23.8 km
    No traffic (26 min)
    Heavy traffic (47 min)

Cork Airport to the River Lee Hotel Cork - 1 Passenger

€11.60 to €18.00
    Distance 8.1 km
    No traffic (15 min)
    Heavy traffic (28 min)

4 Passengers on the Night rate with a booked taxi:
    €19.20 to €26.40
    Distance 8.1 km
    No traffic (15 min)
    Heavy traffic (28 min)

Cost for a taxi from Limerick Center to Shannon Airport by Taxi is too much and the time is too long.

You never factored in the cost to walk from the 2 hotels at Cork Airport to the terminal building :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

vkid wrote: »
    No. Upstairs in one side of the building is homeware. Downstairs on that side is crystal, souvenirs, belleek pottery etc. On the other side, downstairs is Clothing (men and womens) and upstairs is a very nice cafe. It is a busy spot and a stop off point for a lot of coach tours. There is also a garden centre at the side. If you want something else to do, you can go to Bunratty Winery.

It's not really a selection though, its bit on the expensive side, in the same realm as Blarney Woolen Mills.

TK Maxx, Brown Thomas, Debenhams and a few independent stores would be better for some selection.
    You asked for something to do with 15 minutes by taxi. The bus is available, but you asked for a 15 minute taxi ride. I gave you one with lots to do. And if you've been to Bunratty, everything there is walking distance. Its a village.

Bunratty is also a stop off point for a lot of tour operators, and a lot of US visitors and EU visitors start or end their Irish visit their or in the area when going through Shannon. If you have a car, there is a lot more to do within 15 minutes and within an hour or so you have the Burren, Loop head, Cliffs of Moher. You are pretty much bang smack on the Wild Atlantic Way. As close as any airport will get to an attraction.

Shannon town itself is limited, but its an industrial town with a lot of multi nationals in the main Industrial Estate, Smithstown industrial Estate and more recently, but just as important the Westpark campus. Multinationals like Molex, Intel, Element Six, E.I, Genworth, Zimmer, Pepper Group, GE. Shannon Aerospace, Lufthansa, Eirtech etc etc. There is a lot of people employed in Shannon.

The idea that there is nothing in the immediate Shannon area is utter nonsense.

You missed my question, something interesting to do without a car on my last day/night in Ireland, Bunratty is a small village with a Castle, it doesn't have have many things to do over the course of a day.

Why exactly do you bring up Business Traveler, It's already well known there are Industrial estates in remote areas all over Ireland.

By the way, I am an EU Visitor.

Point being there is no City near Shannon, there's a town near it that exists because of the Airport and a City kind of near it (Limerick) like Dusseldorf (Weeze), Brussels (Charleroi), Barcelona (Girona)

Myself I would recommend a person to take a rental car from Dublin and do a one way rental to Cork with a flight back from there, then they can do the good amount of the Wild Atlantic Way (over west, then south and back over toward cork through Kerry), see all the sights you mentioned and have access to a wide variety of high street stores for shopping, The Opera House, the Everyman Theatre, Cork City Gaol, Finn Barres Cathedral at the end of their trip.

They could even take in the Ring of Kerry, the Old head of Kinsale and stop off in the Pink Elephant along they way.

I wouldn't tell them to drive all the way back up to Shannon to stay the night in Limerick or Bunratty, wouldn't make any sense.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you, it's not really convenient unless your visiting that area of the country for some reason and even then, Ireland is so small in European Terms that a trip around the country is quite easy, just people prefer to spend a night in a larger City like Dublin or Cork on their last night.

I wouldn't exactly pick Limerick as a tourist destination either being from Tipperary.

It's not really a selection though, its bit on the expensive side, in the same realm as Blarney Woolen Mills.

TK Maxx, Brown Thomas, Debenhams and a few independent stores would be better for some selection.

You missed my question, something interesting to do without a car on my last day/night in Ireland, Bunratty is a small village with a Castle, it doesn't have have many things to do over the course of a day.

Why exactly do you bring up Business Traveler, It's already well known there are Industrial estates in remote areas all over Ireland.

Point being there is no City near Shannon, there's a town near it that exists because of the Airport and a City kind of near it (Limerick) like Dusseldorf (Weeze), Brussels (Charleroi), Barcelona (Girona)

Myself I would recommend a person to take a rental car from Dublin and do a one way rental to Cork with a flight back from there, then they can do the good amount of the Wild Atlantic Way (over west, then south and back over toward cork through Kerry), see all the sights you mentioned and have access to a wide variety of high street stores for shopping, The Opera House, the Everyman Theatre, Cork City Gaol, Finn Barres Cathedral at the end of their trip.

They could even take in the Ring of Kerry, the Old head of Kinsale and stop off in the Pink Elephant along they way.

I wouldn't tell them to drive all the way back up to Shannon to stay the night in Limerick or Bunratty, wouldn't make any sense.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you, it's not really convenient unless your visiting that area of the country for some reason and even then, Ireland is so small in European Terms that a trip around the country is quite easy, just people prefer to spend a night in a larger City like Dublin or Cork on their last night.

I wouldn't exactly pick Limerick as a tourist destination either being from Tipperary.

You got your answer, and you are just being pathetically difficult now. Work away. I am not engaging in your nonsense any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Figerty

Sounds like you have never been in the Folk park. There is a full days worth of visiting there and the Banquet at night. It's not a 'small village' it's a major tourist destination.

The reality of this forum is that Cork Airport is in trouble. Cork people won't like this, but Cork isn't that attractive as a tourist destination. The places you have listed as attractions aren't exactly in the same realm as Temple bar, Kilmanhim Jail or the Guinness store house.When the Queen came to Cork she bought fish...

Neither is Limerick a tourist Mecca, but Corporate guests have plenty to choose from and Shannon Industrial Zone is massive in terms of employment and growing. These industrialists don't worry about taxi fares.

• Advertisement

Figerty wrote: »
    The reality of this forum is that Cork Airport is in trouble. Cork people won't like this, but Cork isn't that attractive as a tourist destination. The places you have listed as attractions aren't exactly in the same realm as Temple bar, Kilmanhim Jail or the Guinness store house.When the Queen came to Cork she bought fish...

Wasn't it in the Lonely Planet top 10 ?
    Neither is Limerick a tourist Mecca, but Corporate guests have plenty to choose from and Shannon Industrial Zone is massive in terms of employment and growing. These industrialists don't worry about taxi fares.

Exactly, I agree with you it's not attractive for a tourist, I never mentioned anything about Corporate Guests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

You got your answer, and you are just being pathetically difficult now. Work away. I am not engaging in your nonsense any further.

It's no more ridiculous than suggesting that Bunratty and Cork offer the same amount of entertainment, or that there are as many multinationals in Shannon as Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

What's with the bickering between Cork and Shannon. They're all viable airports. Shannon serves West, Cork serves South. Dublin serves East, Belfast North.

There's population, employers and tourism in ALL areas which should be plenty to support a decent airport in each.

I don't know enough about how flights are organised to comment on if someone is doing something wrong. Dose the airport sit passively and wait for airlines to approach it with flights? Or is there a marketing manager at the airport who approaches airlines and asks for the service?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Here we go again ....previous thread was closed because it had started going off topic and become a bickering session with people spending more time reporting each other than posting on the thread.

This is not a Meadows & Byrnes v Blarney wooden mills thread, whilst I see the relevance of local retail/ attractions, I think that's been exhausted so back to the main topic please.

I'll leave the thread open or God help I'll be accused of conspiracy, political agenda etc ( just for interest, I actually work at Cork Airport so it's massively in my interest to improve traffic through it & also a reason I'm not posting much as I'm biased). BUT we have agreed that rather than close we will issue bans for those causing arguments for the sake of it. Just remember boards rules, don't take the thread off topic & you can comment on another post, but cannot make a comment about the person posting it.

If anyone isn't clear, PM me

Thanks

It's no more ridiculous than suggesting that Bunratty and Cork offer the same amount of entertainment, or that there are as many multinationals in Shannon as Cork.

No-one suggested that at all. The poster asked for something to do to spend their last day/night in Ireland within 15 minutes of Shannon by taxi. They were given an option which many tourists use as their start /end point in Ireland and didnt seem to like the answer...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

Long time lurker, blah blah, etc.

It would be nice to have a discussion about Cork Airport without the usual tiresome business of Cork v. Shannon catchment area, greater metropolitan population, industry, tourism turning into the usual boring over and back slagging match.

I think there is a key issue with unequal treatment by the state of each airport. An inequity of policy which should not be the case. Both airports have population, industry, tourism etc. to support them and should on that basis, be able to compete on an equal footing. So let's get the equal footing sorted and have at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Site Banned Posts: 638 ✭✭✭imurdaddy

ORK experienced a false growth when SNN was under DAA controlled decline, Cork picked up the mid west pax who had no choice of routes ex Shannon and now are flying SNN, honestly anyone who thinks a person in south Galway Clare Limericks & nort Tipp would chose to go to DUB or ORK is crazy, if your local airport offers the destination your after thats where you'll fly from. SNN is reclaiming local pax that had used ORK previously and as long as it offers the destinations it wont change,

I use ORK as much as SNN, and, let me tell you ORK needs to worry about the DAA not an airport serving a different area, be it Shannon Dublin or Knock.

pwurple wrote: »
    What's with the bickering between Cork and Shannon. They're all viable airports. Shannon serves West, Cork serves South. Dublin serves East, Belfast North.

There's population, employers and tourism in ALL areas which should be plenty to support a decent airport in each.

I don't know enough about how flights are organised to comment on if someone is doing something wrong. Dose the airport sit passively and wait for airlines to approach it with flights? Or is there a marketing manager at the airport who approaches airlines and asks for the service?

The Mayo lads are going going to be upset now!

Or have the rental companies not apply a non return charge for picking up in one airport and returning in another. Wild Atlantic Way deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Or have the rental companies not apply a non return charge for picking up in one airport and returning in another. Wild Atlantic Way deal.

Do they charge one?

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Do they charge one?

Depends on your rental company. Moot point anyway, nobody is going to fly to Ireland to travel the Wild Atlantic way and only do a quarter of it. They are more likely to start in Cork and finish in Belfast. If they just wanted to visit munster only then flying into Cork and out of Shannon or Kerry would work, but they're probably too close to each other for that to matter.

Mod: You were already told not to post in this thread again. Do it again and you're banned.

Depends on your rental company. Mute point anyway, nobody is going to fly to Ireland to travel the Wild Atlantic way and only do a quarter of it. They are more likely to start in Cork and finish in Belfast. If they just wanted to visit munster only then flying into Cork and out of Shannon would work, but there probably too close for that to matter.

No there's no one way fee, I often fly to Dublin, pick up there and drop off in Cork and fly from there.

With Belfast you have to pay a cross border fee which is pretty expensive.
    Wild Atlantic way is a gimmick anyway, people were already doing it, just now there's a bunch of brown signs with a jagged blue line on it.

Most people I know start in Dublin and Finish in Cork or the other way around as they want to see the Capital at some point.

Dropping off in Cork is nice though, only a 50 meter walk to the terminal, rather than that rental depot where you have to get a bus back to the Airport in Dublin.

Depends on your rental company. Mute point anyway, nobody is going to fly to Ireland to travel the Wild Atlantic way and only do a quarter of it. They are more likely to start in Cork and finish in Belfast. If they just wanted to visit munster only then flying into Cork and out of Shannon or Kerry would work, but they're probably too close to each other for that to matter.

Mods if you can make that image smaller please do.

I have relations that do it every year. Fly into Cork, and onward up the west coast, sometimes back to Shannon, sometimes onto Knock.

So... it aint a moot point. I have done something similar in the Us. Fly into LA, fly out of San Fran after driving the Pacific Coast Highway. Ireland's coast line is as impressive.. and the water is a lot warmer.

The whole point of the Atlantic way is to give a planned route to tourist. They pick up the trail where appropriate and do which ever bit they want. The broader Idea is to facilitate this by making flights, car hire etc. joined up thinking where the 3 day stopover or 5 -10 stopover etc. has purpose and ease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭.red.

The prague route has now been cancelled for the first 5 weeks it was meant to operate. I think its coming now when the ibiza route starts up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,094 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Was the Prague route not meant to start yesterday/today? I thought the first week was still going ahead?

Mod: you were told once not to post in this thread, you ignored it and were banned from the forum for a week and now the week has passed and what is the first thing you do - you post here again. I'm passing this onto someone else cos I'm just not dealing with you anymore.

I'm also closing this thread cos it's not serving any purpose anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

So it looks like the government are going to get €350m from the sale of Aer Lingus,and I have'nt heard one Cork politician say yet that Cork Airport needs to be made independent and the debt wiped on the spot,when the sale goes through.

What are they at???:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

I heard Ciaran Lynch (lab) state that the money will be ringfenced and go into a transport fund which can be used to help Cork Airport as well as the other airports. And I was thinking of voting for him in the next election.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

So it looks like the government are going to get €350m from the sale of Aer Lingus,and I have'nt heard one Cork politician say yet that Cork Airport needs to be made independent and the debt wiped on the spot,when the sale goes through.

What are they at???:confused:

Coveney has said the money can't be spent on wiping off the debt.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/aer-lingus-cork-on-high/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Pitcairn wrote: »
    Coveney has said the money can't be spent on wiping off the debt.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/aer-lingus-cork-on-high/

EU rules mean they cant write off/partly write off the debt??.

What the hell?.:confused:

I thought the EU was all for competition.An airport being controlled by its competitor.What a laughing stock.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Oh dear, have politicians crystal balls or something? The days of political appointees to the board of Aer Lingus are long gone, now that EI is been sold off there is only 1 thing that will keep or improve their routes and that is demand. As in business levels and basic economics not bloody politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

There was an article in the indo recently "Growing gridlock in Dublin 'a threat to economic recovery"

Based on the figures we've seen in this thread and the last, the government could get something like a quarter of a million cars from South Munster alone off Dublin roads, just by tackling the Cork Airport issue, and that's a fairly conservative estimate.
    The response no doubt, will be to increase infrastructural and transport funding for Dublin rather than a Cork Airport resolution or Motorway to Limerick.

Still no sign of the National Planning Framework; Irish governments continue to push the regions/hubs down the priority list over and over, thereby perpetuating the problem.

It's now in Dublin's interest for Cork to push hard for stronger local government once the council issue is resolved, because the imbalance is now becoming mutually damaging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭corkonion

As a Corkman I would love to see more destinations and choices available from Cork. However some of the points on this thread seem irrational, We have already established from official sources that Airport charges in Cork are extremely competitive and lower than similar airports across europe. If Cork was seen as an economically attractive destination to Airlines then they would be queuing up to land here.... but they are not.
    At the moment Cork is just emerging from a horrendous economic beating and is starting to rebuild itself. With the city center revamp including the old Capitol cinema revamp, the brewery quarter event center and desirable city center business space under construction, I think that Cork will have a lot more to offer as a destination. When the port of Cork move the bulk of their operations to Ringaskiddy and the docklands become attractive it will be unrecognisable and then the Airport will right itself.
    A decade or two ago Newcastle was an industrial city without any quantifiable tourist potential.. it has transformed itself and has numerous new full hotels week in and week out.. Hopefully Cork is going the same direction.

Advertisement