Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three weeks. 3,000kms.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

So finish with the stats, what did you get done, climbing too.
    Well done and enjoy the family time!

The snooker is on! I'll close it off tomorrow.

Here are the final stats:

Total distance covered: 1,450.1kms.
    Total meters climbed: 13,604m.
    Total time: 55 hrs 31 mins.
    Number of rides: 21.

Before I started this I had only cycled a total of 261.5kms since the beginning of December so I am not surprised that the distance fell away after the effort of the first week. I note that the thighs are still tight when I move in a certain way (sitting on the ground with my legs under me almost kneeling but legs bent double under my bum).

Hopefully, I now have a nice base from which to build to the rest of the season, which includes 4,100m of climbing in Italy in July over 140kms and the club league and an open race or two. In particular, I'd like to have a bash at the Wexford two day event with the club.

Thanks for reading and for the comments!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

That's pretty impressive, basically you did a Mille Failte 1200 and then some.
    You did really well, esp when you knew you wouldnt reach the target, there are no levels of surrenderer, you either surrender or you don't, and you didn't. I hope this pays dividends for a long time to come.
    Chapeau!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Here are the final stats:

Total distance covered: 1,450.1kms.
    Total meters climbed: 13,604m.

You've severely undermined my faith in thread titles. Whatever next, they *do* even pay road tax, Joe? Outrageous!

My outrage is fickle though, it's secretly impressed that you managed to average almost 500km per week, and with an impressive total for metres climbed thrown in too - fair play!

doozerie wrote: »
    You've severely undermined my faith in thread titles. Whatever next, they *do* even pay road tax, Joe? Outrageous!

Back to your mild musings thread with you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Your original goal was akin to doing a Grand Tour with no training.

I'm impressed that you're not permanently disabled by the attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Fair play to you, you nut. I am shaking my head in awe at your stats. A fantastic effort. Your my kind of crazy, I wish I could give that much time to the bike. Best of luck next time!!

Right. It's that time of year again. The missus is away for two weeks from yesterday. I've a head cold that I need to shift before I can get out on the bike again but the improvement from last night to this morning is promising. I might be able to get out tomorrow hopefully.

The thing is, what challenge will I set myself this time around? Any suggestions are welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Try covering 1549.9km (see where I got that from??)

Edit - do not attempt this - too much for two weeks. Head out for some enjoyable spins, mix up short and long, try some new routes.
    Target is to enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

This years challenge is to find a challenge that you can actually complete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Do the strava / hells500 Everest challenge of just under 9000m of climbing. Very doable over 2 weeks and get a few quid off your mates for Nepal.

...so I'll just cycle and post up my progress as I go!

Today was an easy evening ride as I have not been well for the past few days. Fairly flat and completely in the small ring all the way just spinning and enjoying the evening.

Distance: 61.8kms.
    Average speed: 29.2kms/hr.
    Climbed: 358m.

Strava data: https://www.strava.com/activities/310253346

29kph and easy ride? Does not compute.

Raam wrote: »
    29kph and easy ride? Does not compute.

Genuinely it was. I was spining at tempo all the way and not pushing. The terrain and weather helped. You are just still at square 1.1 that it seems not an easy ride to you!

Genuinely it was. I was spining at tempo all the way and not pushing. The terrain and weather helped. You are just still at square 1.1 that it seems not an easy ride to you!

Riding tempo is not really riding easy. Maybe you mean something else.

Raam wrote: »
    Riding tempo is not really riding easy. Maybe you mean something else.

Well I'm not knackered after it and I was never out of breath, etc. Call it what you want but I rode it and it was easy!

Well I'm not knackered after it and I was never out of breath, etc. Call it what you want but I rode it and it was easy!

I hear you. I think if you are trying to recover from illness then you should ride easier again or not at all.

A young girl in Balbriggan this evening commented on my "leggings" while I was stopped at a traffic light:

"Nice leggings" she said.

"Thanks" I replied.

The lights then went green and I moved off when she replied:

"Shame about the ass. It's all about the ass"

WTF!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

A young girl in Balbriggan this evening commented on my "leggings" while I was stopped at a traffic light:

"Thanks" I replied.

WTF!
    She should have asked "Why the tights on a balmy evening at the end of May?" :p

She should have asked "Why the tights on a balmy evening at the end of May?" :p

Of course, she would have realised her mistake and imagine her shame when I told her I was wearing shorts and knee warmers!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

"Thanks" I replied.

WTF!

She's right. You clearly need to work harder.
    Here is some cheesy pop misogyny for you to aspire to:*

You have foud your aim for the two weeks - go forth and ass!

*your soul and senses may not survive the watching of said video. You don't need them for cycling anyway :P

Gah! Must unsee!

The chest/head cold is nearly gone. Felt good this morning so went out for a spin. 20-ish kms solo and then 65ish kms with two others to Howth and back. I was marshalling at the Ras finish to had no time for anything longer than that today.

Distance: 88.4kms
    Average speed: 27.6kph
    Climbed: 493m

Strava data: https://www.strava.com/activities/310895145

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,324 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Deal confirmed on the streets of Skerries this afternoon

Lusk_Doyle has committed to the Race around Ireland this year as preparation for the Ras next year....

Beasty wrote: »
    Deal confirmed on the streets of Skerries this afternoon

Lusk_Doyle has committed to the Race around Ireland this year as preparation for the Ras next year....

Haha. Your hearing still ain't what it used to be since before the "you know what"!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,324 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Haha. Your hearing still ain't what it used to be since before the "you know what"!
    I have no doubt over what I heard - maybe it's your memory that's failing ....

Beasty wrote: »
    I have no doubt over what I heard - maybe it's your memory that's failing ....

I said that I'd love to be able to do the ras within 5 years. Not so sure if it will happen however but it would be a nice thing to have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I said that I'd love to be able to do the ras within 5 years. Not so sure if it will happen however but it would be a nice thing to have done.

Seeing the legend that is Robbie Staunton become a Man of the Rás really shows that alot of us, if we put in the training, might be able to get round as well. Food for thought anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Inquitus wrote: »
    Food for thought anyways.
    Which means you are currently putting a training plan for next year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Some clubmates are muttering about Race the Ras next year....

Advertisement