Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8th Amendment

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Black Menorca

inocybe wrote: »
    Sorry to burst your bubble, Ireland is most certainly not abortion free. Denying the reality of the need for a safe service won't make it go away.

We can engage in semantics if you like.

The facts are abortion is a serious crime in this country and the 8th still provides protection to unborn babies.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,427 ✭✭✭✭ted1

fits wrote: »
    I will vote labour if they make this referendum happen.
    A personal contact had to travel to abort a much wanted but fatally abnormal foetus. There is no way she could have carried to term. They brought foetus home in boot of car to bury. Current system is absolutely cruel and heartless.
    These decisions should be between woman, partner and doctors and noone else.
    If the option was to allow abortion where the child won't survive, mothers life is in immediate danger , or the mother was rapped or is below a certain age I would vote yes.

If the option was to allow abortion in general I'd vite no

ted1 wrote: »
    If the option was to allow abortion where the child won't survive, mothers life is in immediate danger , or the mother was rapped or is below a certain age I would vote yes.

There's the thing. Removing the 8th will remove the status and protection for unborn babies in this country. Then, with the introduction of limited legislation, its only a matter of time before we become as liberal as the UK.

Sure as night follows day.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

The facts are abortion is a serious crime in this country and the 8th still provides protection to unborn babies.

So you'd like to jail women who take the abortion pill then?
    What about women who try a dangerous herbal remedy, legally available to buy?
    What about women who smoke and drink to excess hoping to cause an early miscarriage because she doesn't have 1000 euro to pay for a safe abortion?
    Where exactly does that crime begin and end?

So you'd like to jail women who take the abortion pill then?
    What about women who try a dangerous herbal remedy, legally available to buy?
    What about women who smoke and drink to excess hoping to cause an early miscarriage because she doesn't have 1000 euro to pay for a safe abortion?
    Where exactly does that crime begin and end?

Who sad anything about jailing anyone?

Ireland has made a choice to protect unborn life. I am proud of that and will continue to advocate for such a status, despite the abortion regimes in other countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,299 ✭✭✭✭fits

I dont think its going to be that simple in reality though. Eight amendment has to be removed first, and then replaced with some sort of legislation.

To be quite honest and forthright, I am for abortion on demand below 10-12 weeks, I just think there are too many grey areas to legislate for. But if the majority of the public agree with those restrictions being put in the place, well we are a democracy, and that is fair enough. Retaining the eighth amendment without a referendum would be completely undemocratic in my view. It barely passed in 1983, and definitely should not be there now.

don't you want to jail people who commit serious crimes?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Should we re-visit the divorce decision every 20 years also? Lisbon, Childrens' rights, the Right to Travel etc?

Nah. Just get rid of it, and let each adult faced with that difficult decision make their own mind up according to their own circumstances, personal beliefs, and conscience. If somebody I don't know and will never meet wants a termination, it's none of my business.

fits wrote: »
    I dont think its going to be that simple in reality though. Eight amendment has to be removed first, and then replaced with some sort of legislation.

To be quite honest and forthright, I am for abortion on demand below 10-12 weeks, I just think there are too many grey areas to legislate for. But if the majority of the public agree with those restrictions being put in the place, well we are a democracy, and that is fair enough. Retaining the eighth amendment without a referendum would be completely undemocratic in my view. It barely passed in 1983, and definitely should not be there now.

67% voted for the 8th.

don't you want to jail people who commit serious crimes?

I don't see jailing a mother would do any good whatsoever to be honest. Maybe you do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

67% voted for the 8th.

None of whom now face the issue on the most personal and direct manner today.

P_1 wrote: »
    None of whom now face the issue on the most personal and direct manner today.

I'm just clarifying up the confused opinion that the 8th was barely passed in 1983.

I don't see jailing a mother would do any good whatsoever to be honest. Maybe you do.

Because it's not a crime!

Do I have to quote the X Case legislation for you?

Do I have to quote the X Case legislation for you?

Thankfully it's one that a blind eye is throw towards. It's happening now, legislate for it so people can go through a traumatic event in as much comfort as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

Next year or 2017 hopefully. And it should be repealed of course.

Thankfully it's one that a blind eye is throw towards. It's happening now, legislate for it so people can go through a traumatic event in as much comfort as possible.

What blind eye?

Lets be honest and accurate here folks.

Abortion is a crime in this country, and to my knowledge not one unborn baby has been intentionally killed in the womb since the passing of X legislation last year.

Abortion on demand is a misleading term.
    In most countries where abortion is legal, on-demand is only possible to around the 12th week of pregnancy during the embryonic stage. Calling embryos children is emotive and plain wrong. And the vast majority of abortions occur much sooner.

Unfortunately I don't think the legislation will even be that brave after the amendment is repealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Again, no. Abortion was a serious crime here, until the 8th amendment made our anti-abortion law unconstitutional.

And it only protects "babies" whose mothers are poor, or in an institution, or have dodgy visa status.

Ordinary voting middle class folks just take a "city break", and that's that, which is the reason this ridiculous charade has gone on for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Not only is it not a crime, we passed an amendment guaranteeing access to abortion information and another guaranteeing that the state would not interfere with travel for abortions.

We like abortion just fine, as long as it happens under someone else's roof .

• Advertisement

OK lads and lasses. If you're going to debate the issue, at least do so knowing the basics.

Intentional taking of unborn life is a crime in this country. A fact clarified in last years X Case legislation.

Destruction of unborn human life
    (1) It shall be an offence to intentionally destroy unborn human life.

(2) A person who is guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable on indictment to a fine or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 14 years, or both.

'unborn human life' is such a weird expression

Icepick wrote: »
    'unborn human life' is such a weird expression

I prefer unborn baby myself.

But the legislation is crystal clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,094 ✭✭✭volchitsa

But the legislation is crystal clear.

Except it's not is it? As the family of the young woman who so tragically died late last year discovered to their cost.

volchitsa wrote: »
    Except it's not is it? As the family of the young woman who so tragically died late last year discovered to their cost.

What are you referring to?

What are you referring to?

The woman who was kept on life support despite being in a state of decomposition due to the fact that she was in the early stages of pregnancy I'd imagine

The woman who was kept on life support despite being in a state of decomposition due to the fact that she was in the early stages of pregnancy I'd imagine

Tragic case indeed.

A proper decision was made to turn off life support to the mother.

Tragic case indeed.

A proper decision was made to turn off life support to the mother.

One that would have been made a lot quicker and made an awful situation easier for all concerned if it weren't for the omnishambles of a law that our politicians are too spineless to allow us to have a vote on

One that would have been made a lot quicker and made an awful situation easier for all concerned if it weren't for the omnishambles of a law that our politicians are too spineless to allow us to have a vote on

So on the basis of this case you would delete the 8th? Just like that? Wow.

• Advertisement

So on the basis of this case you would delete the 8th? Just like that? Wow.

Ever heard of the phrase involving camels, straws and damaged vertebrae?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement