Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marriage Equality Referendum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

All those “No” people/organisations are based in affluent south Dublin. The better for access to RTÉ y’know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

gravehold wrote: »
    I live in the limerick countryside and there is way more yes posters on the poles, how can the yes side afford more posters then theno campaign?
    It's nothing to do with money - maybe the yes group in the area are just more active than the no group.

I have noticed in my own area that there are yes posters in housing estates but no posters on the main roads - they just seem to have targeted different areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Vojera wrote: »
    It's nothing to do with money - maybe the yes group in the area are just more active than the no group.

It kind of does though. Posters don't come cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

J_E wrote: »
    It kind of does though. Posters don't come cheap.
    The YesEquality campaign have been fundraising for quite a while to pay for these posters.

You also need to consider that all the major political parties are campaigning for a yes vote, which means that there are YesEquality, Fine Gael, Labour, Sinn Féin, Fianna Fail and Anti-Austerity Alliance groups all putting up posters (and those are just the groups I've seen).

On the contrary, I've only seen no posters by Mothers and Fathers Matter.

So that's six groups of yes posters and one group of no posters. I don't consider that being about money, just that proportionally there are more groups in favour of a yes vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

National canvass day on Saturday for the Yes vote at 11am.

Search facebook/twitter for your local Yes Equality branch if you want to get involved :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,055 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I live in the limerick countryside and there is way more yes posters on the poles, how can the yes side afford more posters then theno campaign?

I don't believe you

Yes Equality bought 50,000 posters.

Mothers and Fathers Matter bought 450,000.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Shocking difference.

It pays to have money!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,505 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There are multiple Yes campaigns erecting signs - YesEquality, Labour, FG, FF, SF, AAA. Many of them are fairly simplistic, two colour jobs (FF and some AAA ones particularly)

There is one No campaign erecting signs, hower they are using large, full colour posters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

Unbiased answers from Judge Kevin Cross of the Referendum Commission: http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/confused-what-you-need-to-know-about-the-marriage-referendum-1.2212840

Hoping this reaches a few undecideds and maybe even shows some nos the mistruths they've been fed.

Prime Time right now is doing much the same thing - explaining that the No side is scare-storying about things that are not affected by the referendum at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Anyone catch the Drivetime segment/debate? Yer man from "Keep Marriage" -- though are these "different" no orgs meaningfully distinct, anyway? -- Barry Jones was pretty full-on. He didn't quite say "vote no because God says so", but everything but. Voting yes would be "putting a lie into the constitution", and such like. Wow.

The fellah from the "separate" outfit "Mothers and Fathers Matter" was obviously trying to play good cop, in contrast. Or at least, tendentiously legalistic cop. Usual stuff about a "right" to surrogacy arising -- which if it were true, would be a better argument against the status quo, than it would be on the referendum measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Aard wrote: »
    ETA: one of the Prime Time debates highlighted that to the Iona chap. That most references to gay couples were to gay men and not women. I think there is a crack there that shows both a homophobic and sexist attitude towards men.
    Not to get too hung up on semantics and exercises in definism, I'm not sure I'd call this "sexism", which is almost to imply a net disadvantage to gay men as against lesbians across the board. (Or to men as against women more broadly, even.)

But there's definitely a massive genderedness to the homophobia going on here. I'm reminded, perhaps inappropriately, of an Aaron Sorkin character saying "I’m homophobic in the way that makes sense." Male-male relationships are seen as personally threatening and destructive to the social order in a way that female-female relationships are not.

It's of course all bound up in gender roles and gender stereotyping more generally, in a way I couldn't begin to try and unpack at this hour... or probably even given a few decades at it.

It all mostly unwraps to a disgust of two men holding hands or the image of them having sex. Females get erased because they're not as icky.

J_E wrote: »
    It all mostly unwraps to a disgust of two men holding hands or the image of them having sex. Females get erased because they're not as icky.

Bingo. One of the Burke's even tried to drag a radio debate down to discussing actual sexual intercourse - but only between men.

Trying to push the "ewww, icky" line to heterosexual men rather falls apart if its two women, based on what the media has told them for 20+ years!

In other news, an explanation of why Ursula Halligan hasn't been doing coverage for TV3:

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/ursula-halligan-referendum-pointed-me-towards-telling-the-truth-about-myself-1.2212960

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

Maureen Gaffney has the Catholic purists up in arms as she calls a spade a spade. Aplogies for the posting being from a Catholic rag.....

http://www.catholicireland.net/anger-psychologist-likens-voters-nazis/

and a well known journalist comes out

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/ursula-halligan-referendum-pointed-me-towards-telling-the-truth-about-myself-1.2212960

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Not to get too hung up on semantics and exercises in definism, I'm not sure I'd call this "sexism", which is almost to imply a net disadvantage to gay men as against lesbians across the board. (Or to men as against women more broadly, even.)
    I never implied anything about gay men being globally more disadvantaged than gay women. Men can still suffer from sexism, even if women suffer from more often.

It boils down to – yuck, men kissing each other. Or yuck, two men as parents.

Lesbian parents and the idea of two women holding hands in the street doesn't come up as often as something objectionable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭opus

Was this in provincial Ireland or the big cities?

Hopefully I won't draw the ire of any Corkonians but I wouldn't class Cork as a big city ;)

I've since procured the same badge for myself as it happens & noticed one of neighbours sporting the 'Yes' version of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

You could simplify it further.

When men 'choose' to be gay they are disgusting and irresponsible.
    When women 'choose' to be gay, they're just being silly.

The bible informs us that women can always be shook or slapped into 'seeing sense' by a responsible and caring father or husband. Their homosexuality is not as corrosive to a healthy and normal society; it's just a sign that a male disciplinarian has neglected his duties to this woman and allowed her to run away with herself. It's a domestic issue rather then a social one.

But when a man chooses to be gay? well he should know better, how disgusting the things he gets up to.
    What a disgrace to society.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Ash885

Fair play to Ursula!

Yep, great piece by her in the IT. Wonder how it will go down with the “undecided” voters.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

You could simplify it further.

When men 'choose' to be gay they are disgusting and irresponsible.
    When women 'choose' to be gay, they're just being silly.

The bible informs us that women can always be shook or slapped into 'seeing sense' by a responsible and caring father or husband. Their homosexuality is not as corrosive to a healthy and normal society; it's just a sign that a male disciplinarian has neglected his duties to this woman and allowed her to run away with herself. It's a domestic issue rather then a social one.

But when a man chooses to be gay? well he should know better, how disgusting the things he gets up to.
    What a disgrace to society.
    no-one chooses to be gay its genetic

I think Aurongroove was implying that certain people (homophobic maybe?) sincerely do believe that being gay is a choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭gravehold

There is no gay gene though, gentic isn't the right word to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

In case you're not Trolling, I was very obviously quoting the word 'chooses'.

Yes of course the earth is round, yes of course we are the result of evolution, and yes of course nobody chooses to be gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Ursula's story is so sad but with a positive ending if she can influence others in her generation to come out.

She seems like a lovely, gentle person. I was really moved by her Anton Savage interview. How could anyone deny her the right to get married?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Even wee Daniel is on board! That might just make Donegal break tradition and actually pass a referendum for once in their lives!

With this, the various independent bodies (RefCom and Adoption Agency) rubbishing the No side's claims, not to mention Ursula Halligan's heartbreaking piece in the Irish Times today, the past few days have been very good for the Yes side, especially after the whole non-story about Accord (they also cut the funding to Barnardos, but that wasn't reported at all) not to mention the appalling egging of that child at some No event in Meath earlier on in the week. I didn't even know the state funded Catholic marriage courses until this came out, if I lived in Ireland and someone came to my door asking me for their vote I would be asking them would they get rid of the funding for such a thing, because I don't believe that religion and the state should mix.

Having Daniel O'Donnell saying yes is a big plus, no doubt about it, that might be enough to persuade the older and more conservative voter to change their mind - here's hoping anyway!

There will be a poll published tomorrow (it's that time of the month for the RedC tracking poll, although they're doing it slightly earlier than usual this month obviously with the referendum), in one sense I don't want the Yes side to be too far ahead, if it was tight it would persuade the Yes side to do all they can as it would remove any complacency, though it could equally be argued that if it looks close tomorrow it will give the No side a real boost.

Either way, the biggest danger by a country mile is complacency and if the poll tomorrow says the Yes side will walk it then my worry is a lot of people (especially younger voters, whose turnout is absolutely critical in getting this passed) will think there's no point in voting and we could end up with a shock defeat. Polls can, and do, get it wrong, as the British General Election has shown.

The UK poll was within a margin of error - FPTP makes minor changes violent. However we've bad history of late swings here in referenda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Good news, the Yes side is still well ahead in the latest Irish Times poll. It will be interesting to see if this is backed up by the RedC poll which will come out around 6 pm (possibly a little before that).

The BIG danger is complacency and people thinking they don't need to vote because it's going to be carried! Young people are most in favour but traditionally don't vote in big numbers. Older voters are less supportive and they are more likely to vote! There's still a big debate on Prime Time on Tuesday night, not sure who's on it, but I hope the Yes side presents its case well. If there are a few nutters from the No side (e.g. someone from 'Mandate for Marriage') or Paddy Monaghan (the man who said 'gays have equality as they can marry someone of the opposite sex :eek: :D), then all the better. Hopefully we'll see someone like Noel Whelan or Una Mullally out for the Yes side.

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/editorial/marriage-referendum-good-news-for-yes-campaign-1.2214430

Advertisement