Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marriage Equality Referendum

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

There's no official record of individual boxes. It would potentially compromise the secrecy of the ballot tbh.

I wouldn't dwell on it too much tbh. It's been an amazing few weeks. I honestly think a good % of the no votes are fairly soft. This referendum has been quite an education for a lot of people.

One of my elderly relatives was in tears saying that she never knew how many ppl had been hidden away! I was fairly taken aback by that. I think a lot of people completely underestimate our older generations - they went through hell and back under the thumb of deep conservatism here and are actually very much more open minded than I think we've ever given them credit for.

This came from a woman in her 80s with grandkids.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

There is records of all the boxes. The tallies.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

There is records of all the boxes. The tallies.

They're just guesstimates based on observation though and not available in all areas.

Officially there are only what the various count centres produce as a constituency total.

In reality though a referendum is counted as one national constituency. The constituency totals are just informational. All the votes are added together.

I've seen a few comments where people seem to think it's it's an electoral college system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

So is there a place to get info on local tallies within constituencies? Personally looking for the Laois/Offally results.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

So is there a place to get info on local tallies within constituencies? Personally looking for the Laois/Offally results.

I know they didn't do a full tally, it was mostly just Laois, and two Tullamore boxes returned 60 and 61% (I was more interested in the Offaly end). If you find a breakdown let us know!

• Advertisement

SpaceTime wrote: »
    They're just guesstimates based on observation though and not available in all areas.

Some of them are extremely accurate though

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Ask Yes Equality Laois and Yes Equality Offaly

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Ask Yes Equality Laois and Yes Equality Offaly

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Some of them are extremely accurate though

Having watched tallymen from the other side of the barrier for several years there is a huge mix of experienced/non experienced people doing it.

Generally once they know what to do, they are very accurate.
    They normally work in pairs with one calling the vote.
    Votes are placed on the tables to allow them to be viewed easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

Re: Offaly I read on twitter that Clara said yes; Clareen said no; Birr said no ( :( my town) and Kinnitty was 75% no. Couldn't find much beyond that.

• Advertisement

Having watched tallymen from the other side of the barrier for several years there is a huge mix of experienced/non experienced people doing it.

Generally once they know what to do, they are very accurate.
    They normally work in pairs with one calling the vote.
    Votes are placed on the tables to allow them to be viewed easily.

The issue with the tallies on these is that outside of the major cities, the tallies were quite poor as the parties didn't have troops on the ground in a lot of cases.

Outside of a general election scenario, it's quite difficult to get accurate tallies.

I've never been so glad that I'm an atheist :

Vatican Cardinal calls Irish referendum a ‘defeat for humanity’

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/vatican-cardinal-calls-irish-referendum-a-defeat-for-humanity-1.2226957

How could any organisation spew this stuff and still get taken seriously?

Really ... Just have no words left!

The yes vote was entirely about humanity and a massive victory for humanity, empathy, compassion, understanding and acceptance.

Is "love thy neighbour" actually "judge and condemn thy neighbour" all of a sudden?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

Was it a defeat for humanity when they covered up child sex abuse and offered help to hide Nazi's after WW2?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

because they publicly know what's best for everyone.
    It's only in private they rape children, cover up assault/murder, and stall academic advancement. (sorry had to vent that)

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Oscorp

Heh, one Irish Church that will accomodate same-sex weddings

http://www.thechurch.ie/a-church-wedding-with-a-twist/
    However we’re no conventional church. Where there’s a will there’s a way. After the ceremony this is the one church that definitely will be ready to help all newly married couples celebrate their union in style. Our doors are open to all.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I don't think you could actually have the service there - there's very specific rules about the room being suitable.

The Unitarian Church has already stated they will (on their Facebook page) and the Quakers might as they currently do civil partnerships.

Advertisement