Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marriage Equality Referendum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭feardeas

We don't really know what his views are, or reasons are, if he didn't give them. Without knowing his reasons its hard to say its down to closed mindedness or anything else in particular.

True enough. Some people hold views and articulate them with all the certainty of a evangelical preacher.
    I'm finding this referendum is a good barometer of assholery. You get a real sense of what people are really like, and who sits where on your naughty and nice list.

Sometimes it just confirms what one knew. Sometimes people can pleasantly surprise you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Know of one person who said she's voting no. She's extremely religious, and a good friend so I didn't have it out with her about it, Im fine with her views. But I asked her to please just not vote at all instead of voting no, just because she feels against it doesn't meant she has to deny other peoples rights.

I also asked her her reasons why she was against it and she said ' i think its unfair that a child can be deprived of either a mother or a father '... I told her that gay people can already adopt and this is an entirely unrelated matter. But anyway she wasn't having any of it..looks like the No sides dirty 'think of the children tactics may have worked :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

wakka12 wrote: »
    I also asked her her reasons why she was against it and she said ' i think its unfair that a child can be deprived of either a mother or a father '... I told her that gay people can already adopt and this is an entirely unrelated matter. But anyway she wasn't having any of it..looks like the No sides dirty 'think of the children tactics may have worked :rolleyes:
    I think they'll catch on to the extent that they'll give people already predisposed to vote 'no' language to articulate it. To themselves, if no-one else. I'm not particularly worried at the idea of them actually changing anyone's mind. Mainly about whether people bother their arse to vote at all if they're a "soft yes". Or a "meh".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Yeah the "won't you please think of the children" campaign really just serves to justify the position of people who would have voted no anyway, but weren't able to say *why* they were voting no. Now there's a reason to vote "no" that you shouldn't feel ashamed about. Because you're protecting children. Or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

Is anyone else starting to feel the emotional toll of all the lies and bull****? I try to rise above it but this isn't some political to and fro, this is my actual life and other people's lives being debated. I feel like locking myself in a dark room until the 22nd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

It's pretty stressful, but on the bright side compared to "civil movements" of the past at least it's opinions that's opposed.

I've heard some nasty **** from people over the last few weeks, but in years gone by this is exactly the kind of thing that people would have been physically assaulted and killed over.

For those areas internationally where the "backwards" thinkers are winning, think about the amount of places that are becoming accepting. Pretty soon there is going to be more places that accept gay people as equal human beings then not, better opportunities and places to ****ing escape too, for refugees of homophobia.

I just hope Ireland proves to be on the right side of the line, in a sense, I kind of trust it to be, but it'll be nice once that trust is expressed, rather then a.... yeah......sure it'll pass....(nervous laugh)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

I've heard some nasty **** from people over the last few weeks, but in years gone by this is exactly the kind of thing that people would have been physically assaulted and killed over.
    Points. Pass on a softer hit, I suppose.
    I just hope Ireland proves to be on the right side of the line, in a sense, I kind of trust it to be, but it'll be nice once that trust is expressed, rather then a.... yeah......sure it'll pass....(nervous laugh)
    I'm not at all confident. I suppose if I were, I wouldn't be involved at all, because I'm a lazy arse myself.

But I do think the exercise ultimately serves the cause, whichever outcome we wake up to on the 23rd. If it passes, yay. If it doesn't... I think it will, in the medium term, serve as a wake-up call. The proverbial bucket of cold water over the head of a drunk. It's silence and smug hypocrisy that would be the worst outcome. "Ah sure, we're grand as we are." Forcing it to the decision rules that option out.

It's pretty stressful, but on the bright side compared to "civil movements" of the past at least it's opinions that's opposed.

For those areas internationally where the "backwards" thinkers are winning, think about the amount of places that are becoming accepting. Pretty soon there is going to be more places that accept gay people as equal human beings then not, better opportunities and places to ****ing escape too, for refugees of homophobia.

I just visited madrid and was happily surprised by just how accepting the city is! Stayed 3 nights and saw at least 8 different gay couples walking the streets holding hands and looking happy and comfortable, nobody even took a second glance at them.Saw another gay couple kissing in a restaurant, nobody took any notice except one old lady who patted one of the guys on the back lol. And saw another couple kissing and hugging on the metro, nobody was staring there either except me! It seemed so natural, like they were so comfortable with each other.
    It was pretty wonderful to see, homosexual couples seem to be accepted like hetero couples in madrid, well in the city centre at least.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

At 33 this will be my first time voting for anything..

Expect it to pass,but small enough margin

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭jamie124

So I am 17 and underage to vote , But if i could i would give it a BIG FAT YES!!!
    I have nothing against gay marriage and I am also gay myself so... :) Hope it gets a YES and goes ahead successfully!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭feardeas

Not a big fan of Noel Whelan but this podcast is good. He is discussing the issue with Breda O Brien. Now Breda is Breda but he is very good. Great points made and very clear. He made one point that worried me and that was turnout of below 35%. HE talks about the shape of turn out being more important than the figure. Now have to say if 9 o clock news were reporting that low a turn out on the 22nd I'd loose all reason altogether and maybe do Kenya on it and not bother counting the bloody things!!

I'd imagine turnout would be higher. There appears to be engagement by people I know and an intention to vote, mostly Yes but maybe I'm in a bubble. I wonder if polling\focus groups are hinting that along with a soft yes there may be a soft no. You know people that are uncomfortable and conflicted and because they dont want to cause offence not vote at all. His comments on mens' attitude is interesting although I have to say that there are a good number of young men voting yes.

On another issue it might be nearly time to put a few posters up around the country. Also I've been wondering if anyone could do an Eoghan Harris [General Election 07] on it on the inevitable discussion on the Late Late. Having listened to Whelan he might be a good bet if people could forget his FF past.

Anyway here's the link if people want to have a listen.
    https://soundcloud.com/irishtimes-politics/inside-politics

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Im voting yes and voting no for lower the age of president candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭MarriedButBi

Aard wrote: »
    Yeah that's literally not what I said.

It kind of is, exactly. This is what you said.
    The realisation that one holds a minority view could be enough to turn somebody's vote. Or indeed, encourage them not to vote at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭LadyAthame

I find if you stick the legal reasons it's easier and exposes how much people voting no don't understand why we should focus the debate on the constitution ...because we are voting on the constitution. There is nothing in the constitution about gay adoption. So they just legislated for it through statutory law. It seems to go over the no sides heads.

I would LOVE to see a real legal debate about this on Radio or T.V ..just once ..just for the craic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Posters are going up around my area. I actually stopped in my tracks when I saw my first No poster. I had seen them all online but I'm surprised at how much it hurt me to see them in person.

Vojera wrote: »
    Posters are going up around my area. I actually stopped in my tracks when I saw my first No poster. I had seen them all online but I'm surprised at how much it hurt me to see them in person.

Same. I was just shy of breaking down, to be honest. I've been avoiding any and all media since (and this is the only boards thread about it I'm clicking into anymore). I feel so awful for any vulnerable teens (or adults!) who are really taking it to heart. I'm not too far off it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,052 ✭✭✭gazzer

Same. I was just shy of breaking down, to be honest. I've been avoiding any and all media since (and this is the only boards thread about it I'm clicking into anymore). I feel so awful for any vulnerable teens (or adults!) who are really taking it to heart. I'm not too far off it myself.

Are there any YES posters around in your area. Where I am there are absolutely zero but there are tons of NO posters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭gravehold

gazzer wrote: »
    Are there any YES posters around in your area. Where I am there are absolutely zero but there are tons of NO posters

Why not get involved and put up some yes posters and canvas your area?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

Do I have to be an Irish citizen to vote in this>??

• Advertisement

Do I have to be an Irish citizen to vote in this>??

Yes thankfully

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/fintan-o-toole-hello-same-sex-marriage-bye-bye-mammy-could-be-no-campaign-message-1.2114313

Good article by Fintan outlining the way in which the No side is conducting their Campaign with comparisons to the Divorce Referendum back in the early 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

I was at a residents association meeting this evening & it heartened me no end go see one of the older ladies wearing one of these badges.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT0Rl5ejPMUyzevSO8SzOLNZPcvWlT4XJ72SMWb_UVx5c5jttTK

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Blogatron52

gravehold wrote: »
    Why not get involved and put up some yes posters and canvas your area?

Can anyone put up posters?! If so, do you know where to get them? Or how to get involved in canvassing?! I never know how people go about getting involved in these kinds of things!!

Can anyone put up posters?! If so, do you know where to get them? Or how to get involved in canvassing?! I never know how people go about getting involved in these kinds of things!!

I think they have some kind of big canvassing events on every so often that you can join and they give out posters at those or something :)

Talk to the council for the rules on where to place them, money is you main thing. You can get them printed at any print shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Blogatron52

wakka12 wrote: »
    I think they have some kind of big canvassing events on every so often that you can join and they give out posters at those or something :)

Thanks, sounds cool! I must look in to it! I sound like I live under a rock, I know! :-O

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Posters No

Canvassing Yes

http://www.yesequality.ie/canvass/

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Don't know if I'm being hyper sensitive at the moment, but a radio station seems to be taking the píss by planning a Wedding Ceremony in June and advertising it now, under the guise of a 'social experiment'. Their intent is to see if they can hook two people up on personality alone as opposed to looks.

http://threestrangers.com/ Seems a bit too much of a gimmick to me with the Referendum this month and convenient, being one of the busiest times of the year for Wedding Planning and all.

If I'm overly thinking this, let me know.

Advertisement