Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marriage Equality Referendum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,980 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Gravehold banned - don't bother responding

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭tomato1234

Everyone! Free taxis to your polling stations! No excuses!

http://blog.uber.com/dublin-votes?fb_ref=Default

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

Nice to see that #VoteYes is the number 1 trending topic WORLDWIDE this morning on Twitter.

Go on ye good thing!

Oh, and today is Harvey Milk day in the USA. How apt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Weather holding up in this area thankfully. I've voted and I'm excited about tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Good luck to you all :). #Yes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I'm so excited and so nervous. I'm finding it very hard to focus on anything and I'm all trembley. My facebook and twitter news feeds are just brimming with love and support so I can only hope that translates to votes.

Any idea what time-ish we can expect a result tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Ash885

Logged back onto Twitter in what seems like a month ago and the support and love is astounding!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Vojera wrote: »
    I'm so excited and so nervous. I'm finding it very hard to focus on anything and I'm all trembley. My facebook and twitter news feeds are just brimming with love and support so I can only hope that translates to votes.

Any idea what time-ish we can expect a result tomorrow?

Official result about five. Strong indications - early afternoon from the tallies.
    Get the champagne cold.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Also some gay couples are godparents. In that situation its the will of the natural parents for them to step in if the parents die. But Iona think they know best.

You might mean Guardians? Godparents are a religious thing - they have no automatic right to a child in law should anything happen to the children.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

News report saying that Ireland is looking like it will be the first country in the world to legalise SSM with a comfortable majority rather than narrow victories like there were in the other countries where it is legal.

Ireland, leading the way as usual! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Cyclonus

I was voting in Tyrrellspass polling station and I couldn't help notice that they had a bible on the table beside the people overseeing it. When we asked why it was there, they said that if they didn't recognise anyone or if they thought they "looked funny" they'd have to swear on the bible before they could vote. The said that this was standard. When my mum said she never saw a bible at any election before, they said they always have one there. We thought this was a way to influence people to vote no, so we complained. They just put it on the next table. Does anyone know if bibles are supposed to be at polling stations?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Cyclonus wrote: »
    Does anyone know if bibles are supposed to be at polling stations?
    Yep, the woman is right. Although they're not necessarily always out on the table, every ballot box comes with a bible, so that anyone without photo ID can swear on the bible (LOL) about who they are.

It's a massive fraud hole that they need to remove.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Cyclonus

I didn't have any photo ID and they didn't ask for any of the ID I did have. It was just on the news that other people have been complaining about it as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

It's just for some light reading material before you cast your vote... in case you're undecided. ;)

Don't worry, some chapters aren't really relevant! (It's the part about burning in eternal firey hell that'll pique your interest) lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I've voted. Woohoo! I asked I'm the polling station and they said they hit about 30% turnout around 6pm whereas they'd normally be lucky to get 20% there for elections, so people are certainly mobilising.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

This is worrying. No vote odds shortening on Paddypower. Was 9/1 now 7/1 ! Would have expected the opposite of it's to be a Yes. This is exactly what happened with the senead referendum

No need to post across multiple threads.

I wouldn't pay any attention. Bookies also shorten odds if there's a high uptake in betting, and afaik nobody is conducting an exit poll of note (happy to be corrected on that) so we really won't know what the story is until tomorrow, even the tallies can be ignored unless they indicate a very clear result.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭moneymad

No need to post across multiple threads.

I wouldn't pay any attention. Bookies also shorten odds if there's a high uptake in betting, and afaik nobody is conducting an exit poll of note (happy to be corrected on that) so we really won't know what the story is until tomorrow, even the tallies can be ignored unless they indicate a very clear result.

It's only shortening because people are putting money on it. Doesn't mean it will be a no vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I've honestly never seen engagement in anything to this scale in Ireland before and to be honest, most of it has been amazingly positive.

I would be gutted if this were a no, but I think it has been an unprecedented opportunity for the mainstream of Ireland to actually meet LGBT Ireland and discover they're actually the exact same as the rest of this somewhat bonkers island's inhabitants.

Unlike the recent French experience, which was horrendous and divisive and that wasn't even a referendum!
    I really do think Ireland's changed a bit in the last few weeks and very much for the better.

There've been a lot of fear and self-imposed taboos broken by suddenly discovering that most people are actually 'grand'.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Lads and lasses, best of luck with this one. I voted yes to this, most people I know have too.

You deserve the same rights I have.

I'm going to call it - 76% in favour ... If I'm bang on pints will be gladly accepted ;)

I've been close enough with previous predictions ...

I just want to stick it on the record somewhere to see if I'm in a Twitter / boards bubble or not.

My fingers, toes and anything else that I can cross is crossed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Won't be that high, but with such a good turnout, especially in the urban areas, very unlikely to be less than 60% in favour of a Yes vote now. I know the polls said one thing, but I would have said Yes would have been doing well to pass by 55% yesterday (I've absolutely no doubt that there are many people who would say Yes in public but No in private and the no argument of being 'victimised' gained some traction). Could pass 65%, but a win is a win is a win!

60/40 would be a phenomenal result to be honest.

Question - I'll be in Dublin tomorrow and I'm not usually based there.
    Where would one head to celebrate a Yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

SpaceTime wrote: »

They'll probably be spilling out onto Capel street between Nealons and Pantibar.

SpaceTime wrote: »

If you are there early you can chance your arm and get into Dublin Castle which will probably be packed upstairs for a vote count.

Just feel an urge to get out tomorrow night ... (tonight rather)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Either the George with Vinny, or Capel St. The latter is likely to be (slightly) less packed and more fun.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Text from the Kildare count implies a landslide yes from here and even in Wexford tallies are still suggesting a decent %

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Going to be passed - the question now is by how much. I'd say it will be over 60% - not something in my wildest dreams I thought was possible! Even many of the rural constituencies look like they're going to pass it, which is great to see and again not something I would have expected. So much for having to rely on Dublin to get it through, though obviously the vote is higher in Dublin! I've heard as few as 3 counties will vote no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Early tallies are looking really positive though mostly from urban areas. It's making me slightly more cautiously optimistic :D

Advertisement