Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Island - Bear Grylls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

This series is already 10X as good as the last boring fake whine-fest.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

These women are idiots!
    Boiling water in a can with lid on. Eating snails when there's two pigs literally throwing themselves on the fire. Inability to collect rainwater. Terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Bear trying to justify killing the pigs "it's a matter of survival", no it isn't, you've just given them a "here's one I made before" toolset to start fire.

Did I also see a fishing net in the background during their council of war talk?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Random piglets that just start following them? Hmmm.....

Didn't notice the net in the background but one of them was digging it up at one stage. And why would you go on this show if you were a vegetarian?! Oh and we're all dehydrated - lets throw on the bikinis and sunbath. The mind boggles.

I think the show would be horrendously boring if it was a dozen Laurens on the island. She's like a female Bear Grylls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

SeaFields wrote: »
    Didn't notice the net in the background but one of them was digging it up at one stage. And why would you go on this show if you were a vegetarian?! Oh and we're all dehydrated - lets throw on the bikinis and sunbath. The mind boggles.

But if you were a veggie - its OK to say I don't wan't to kill the pet piglets and I suggest this alternative - berries and roots and whatever - No I'll just go and cry at the edge of the sea and dream of nut cutlets.:confused:

A bit surprised that they killed both together rather than saving one for another day. Anything left over and they'll be in the same position as the men with the croc.

Have the women tried to fish at all?

Bear Grylis keep popping up and stating the bleedin obvious is mildly irritating too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Pulling my hair out watching the womens episode.

What's with having a discussion and then having a vote on what to do about the pigs.
    If I was surviving on 50 calories a day and there were two pigs at my feet, I'd kill them and eat them end of story.
    I wouldn't be waiting on some emotional and tortuously long group decision.
    If others don't like that then tough.

And how does the vegetarian expect to last 6 weeks.
    She should be constantly foraging for food so that she gets enough calories/nutrients.
    And why were unopened coconuts at their first beach camp.

Can't see many of them making it to the end.
    I feel sorry for the few that are trying, having to carry the rest of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

I think you're missing the point of the mens vs womens island. The experiment is to show how men and women deal so differently with survival/life.

Women are not instinctively designed to kill. It is not in their nature. They give life.

Men are hunter gatherers and are instinctively tuned to kill.

The clue is in the fact that on Wednesday night's show even the most ineffective man (the fellah manicuring his feet all day long) didn't think twice about killing the caiman, whereas on Thursday nights episode most of the women were making friends/cuddling/giving names to the piglets.

Women nurture. Men hunt

This is what is fascinating about fly on the wall docs of this type. The women that try to emulate men succumb to their softer side too when put to the test.
    I don't think there was any shame in not wanting to kill the piglets. They just weren't hungry enough.

The fact that the women are whingeing and crying all the time is annoying. It gives women a bad name, but the reality is that's the way way women deal with things. I'm a woman and a lot of the time I'm cringing watching this, but I also understand womankind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Binka wrote: »
    Women are not instinctively designed to kill. It is not in their nature. They give life.

Men are hunter gatherers and are instinctively tuned to kill.
    What's your source for this?
    Women can kill instinctively, Lauren killing the pigs showed that.
    I just think some of them take it less seriously than others and would leave the island before they'd have to do anything that would put them out of their comfort zone.
    The clue is in the fact that on Wednesday night's show even the most ineffective man (the fellah manicuring his feet all day long) didn't think twice about killing the caiman, whereas on Thursday nights episode most of the women were making friends/cuddling/giving names to the piglets.
    If I remember correctly, in the last series of the show Ryan was quite upset over one of the animals being killed.
    I don't think there was any shame in not wanting to kill the piglets. They just weren't hungry enough.
    That said once the pigs were dead their objections quickly disappeared and they tucked into the food.

What's your source for this?

I don't have a source for this. It's just my understanding of humankind and the way it's been taught to me.

I'm not disagreeing with any of your observations either. I'm not disputing the upset that either party felt about the killing of a living creature, my point is that the men's approach is different to the women's and while the men tend to get on with the job in hand the women tend to cry, whinge and become emotional, albeit with less confrontation.

I thought it was interesting that although about half of the women were looking upon the piglets as food from the get go they didn't make a big issue about it and avoided confrontation until everyone was hungry enough to take the vote.

My gut feeling is that if women were left to survive alone in a real situation a vegetarian society would evolve because they'd be making friends with all the animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Can someone pleas explain to me how the fcuk Lauren looks so good?! Some of the women's faces look like they're about to explode but she looks like a goddess?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭bicboy6666

really like the boys one , the girls is a struggle to watch.. so fcking retarded bar lauren.. starving and they decide to become friends with the pigs instead of eating them..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

I'm embarrassed for the women, and all women in general to be honest.

They're failing hard, even when given such conspicuous special treatment.

condra wrote: »
    I'm embarrassed for the women, and all women in general to be honest.

They're failing hard, even when given such conspicuous special treatment.

It is uncomfortable to watch as a woman, that's for sure. They're not showing women in a great light, with poor coping mechanisms.

Unfortunately I think that's what would happen if you left any 14 random women in a tough survival environment like that.

Don't forget a few of the men threw the towel in too, just to put it into perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

BaZmO* wrote: »
    These women are idiots!
    Boiling water in a can with lid on. Eating snails when there's two pigs literally throwing themselves on the fire. Inability to collect rainwater. Terrible.

HA ha yea we had a good laugh about that aswell,clearly the pigs where given to the women.The pigs just should up out of no where and they dont look to wild to me either.
    Im also suspect of the mens island,funny feeling that croc was planted in the trap aswell for the men to kill.I dont understand why they didnt cook all the croc meat.Didnt they realise the meat going to spoil with the heat and bugs.

Overall I enjoy watching it but I think the training wheels are on without them knowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭bren2001

HA ha yea we had a good laugh about that aswell,clearly the pigs where given to the women.The pigs just should up out of no where and they dont look to wild to me either.
    Im also suspect of the mens island,funny feeling that croc was planted in the trap aswell for the men to kill.I dont understand why they didnt cook all the croc meat.Didnt they realise the meat going to spoil with the heat and bugs.

Overall I enjoy watching it but I think the training wheels are on without them knowing.

I doubt they literally gave both camps food in that manner. Bear does say he added stuff to the islands to make sure they survive so I assume the pigs were placed on the female island and it was up to them to find it. Equally, they made sure the crocs on the male islands were not huge (although, hard to do).

Why they didn't bury the meat to keep is cold is stupid. I really don't see how they let their food spoil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Wellyd wrote: »
    Can someone pleas explain to me how the fcuk Lauren looks so good?! Some of the women's faces look like they're about to explode but she looks like a goddess?

Just looking at her bio on c4 website
    She's the youngest at 25 the best age for this type of thing , a nurse and she into adventure sailing clearly tempered both physically and mentally

The beaches are covered in rubbish it was same on first season, I guess shorlines not cleaned by man are now just covered in debris from the plastic stew in the oceans , the new normal . We destroyed the planet 😐

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

bren2001 wrote: »
    I doubt they literally gave both camps food in that manner. Bear does say he added stuff to the islands to make sure they survive so I assume the pigs were placed on the female island and it was up to them to find it. Equally, they made sure the crocs on the male islands were not huge (although, hard to do).

Why they didn't bury the meat to keep is cold is stupid. I really don't see how they let their food spoil.

Bear was only shy of adding a corner shop to the island. The way the women moved and left the pigs, then the pigs followed them, I could just see the producers shooing the pigs after the women

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I dont understand why they didnt cook all the croc meat.Didnt they realise the meat going to spoil with the heat and bugs.
    Even if they did cook it all, there was still a good chance of it going off. Hindsight is a great thing but maybe they should've kept it all cooking in a pot like a stew. The meat would've gotten tough but it wouldn't have gone bad.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Even if they did cook it all, there was still a good chance of it going off. Hindsight is a great thing but maybe they should've kept it all cooking in a pot like a stew. The meat would've gotten tough but it wouldn't have gone bad.

They must of realised time was against them,I know I would have been eating it untill i could eat no more than let it go rotten on the beach,not as much hindsight but rather common sense .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I wonder will they set another caiman trap?
    Last year they used the nets to their advantage. This year it seems like they are catching no fish.
    Really enjoying this season.
    However I could see the women's Island not returning for another season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

This is the show I most look forward to at the minute, they'll have to give it another season judging by the thread over on DigitalSpy.

If you like proper survival shows have a look at Naked and Marooned, where a guy is just dropped off on an island with nothing, no clothes or anything, that was proper survival.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭bren2001

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    I wonder will they set another caiman trap?
    Last year they used the nets to their advantage. This year it seems like they are catching no fish.
    Really enjoying this season.
    However I could see the women's Island not returning for another season.

We don't know how it finishes so it is a bit premature to think they won't get their act together. However, I do agree based on what we have seen. It would be interesting to see two islands with maybe 10 men 4 women and another with 10 women and 4 men to see how the group dynamics change. Although, I would expect just an evenly mixed island.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Binka wrote: »
    It is uncomfortable to watch as a woman, that's for sure. They're not showing women in a great light, with poor coping mechanisms.

Unfortunately I think that's what would happen if you left any 14 random women in a tough survival environment like that.

Im not so sure about that. I think they very carefully selected the women on the show in order to maximize dramatic tension. I mean that lady kate who quit was just completely weak, ditto for Fran. Whereas Lauren is a trooper and very no nonsense. I dont think its a gender issue really, they just selected women who they knew would struggle and crack, which makes for good tv. Someone said if they had 14 Laurens it wouldnt be as interesting and Id have to agree with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

My god I fcuking hate Vic. He is being a total knob.

Vic is definitely stirring the pot.... Oh no Sam is

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Vic's Alpha Male status was crumbled as soon as someone stood upto him and called him out.

Vic is some lad for the fishing though..John West eat your heart out

Lauren in a blue bikini tomorrow night for her fans

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Decent enough episode from the men again.

Not sure what Vic's problem was. He goes fishing all day and comes back to fire and water. Ain't much else to be doing there. He obviously enjoyed fishing and gets to play his macho card. Refusing to fish and going hungry was childish.

The raft event looked very exaggerated. Even though it was absolutely stupid thing to do to go out in a man made raft all the same.

More pig killing from the ladies (i.e. Lauren) tonight it seems.

• Advertisement

SeaFields wrote: »
    Decent enough episode from the men again.

Not sure what Vic's problem was. He goes fishing all day and comes back to fire and water. Ain't much else to be doing there. He obviously enjoyed fishing and gets to play his macho card. Refusing to fish and going hungry was childish.

The raft event looked very exaggerated. Even though it was absolutely stupid thing to do to go out in a man made raft all the same.

More pig killing from the ladies (i.e. Lauren) tonight it seems.

Only half watched the show last night but I think I would have been pissed of like vic to come back to the camp and lads swimming and they couldnt gather a few coconuts.If it wasn't for vic they would stave.Some of the lads there couldnt feed them selfs never mind the whole camp.

Advertisement