Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Well we're 5th favourites with the bookies for the AI @ 7/1, so there or thereabouts.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I'll say this once only, rumours about private lives of players are not allowed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

What happened in the camp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Jerome O'Connell's been busy tweeting; footballers dealt a blow as Paudie Browne is off to the middle east for the summer and won't be available.

Minor hurling game with Waterford on May 6th switched to Thurles from the Gaelic Grounds and Nickie Quaid is a doubt for the Clare game due to a collar bone injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Jerome O'Connell's been busy tweeting; footballers dealt a blow as Paudie Browne is of to the middle east for the summer and won't be available.

Minor hurling game with Waterford on May 6th switched to Thurles from the Gaelic Grounds and Nickie Quaid is a doubt for the Clare game due to a collar bone injury.
    Why was the minor game changed?
    Limerick deserved home advantage
    It imo does give Waterford more of a chance
    Daly teams imo normally don't tend to play well in huge spaces as he goes for physical teams with little pace

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Why was the minor game changed?
    Limerick deserved home advantage
    It imo does give Waterford more of a chance
    Daly teams imo normally don't tend to play well in huge spaces as he goes for physical teams with little pace

They don't deserve home advantage in my opinion, but I don't know why they changed it.

I don't think there is a game that you could benefit more from having home advantage than a Munster Final, which happened in 2013. The roar from the crowd has to have aided the comeback in the last ten minutes that day. Lets call a spade a spade, whether it was officially considered neutral or not it was a home game. Then the replay is in Thurles, I can accept that though you could make a case for it being in Walsh Park.

But then to decree that the next home/away game between the to fall in Limerick's favour because Limerick played in Walsh Park in 2011 is daft and a case of no application of common sense.

They don't deserve home advantage in my opinion, but I don't know why they changed it.

I don't think there is a game that you could benefit more from having home advantage than a Munster Final, which happened in 2013. The roar from the crowd has to have aided the comeback in the last ten minutes that day. Lets call a spade a spade, whether it was officially considered neutral or not it was a home game. Then the replay is in Thurles, I can accept that though you could make a case for it being in Walsh Park.

But then to decree that the next home/away game between the to fall in Limerick's favour because Limerick played in Walsh Park in 2011 is daft and a case of no application of common sense.
    Fair points ye must be very confident now for that game considering limerick non show past week and Waterford good game v tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Those are the vagaries of the c'ship though, im sure it has gone against limerick in the past and will do in the future - shouldnt be switched imo

Fair points ye must be very confident now for that game considering limerick non show past week and Waterford good game v tipp

I dunno much about them. Hard to know with Minors. Sounds like Tipp under performed, and while it might have been a better showing than expected from Waterford you'd be disappointed that they couldn't win despite being much the better team by the sound of it.
    Those are the vagaries of the c'ship though, im sure it has gone against limerick in the past and will do in the future - shouldnt be switched imo

In 2011, Waterford were in both the Minor and Senior all ireland semis. The way it fell, Waterford were playing Kilkenny as Leinster winners in Senior and supposed to be playing Dublin as Minor winners of Leinster. The minor game was switched so that both Dublin games would be on the same day (they played Tipp in the Senior semi). I would bet any money that it wouldn't have been changed roles reverse, though I guess we'll never know.

We are incapable of holding a Munster final so we will never benefit the way Limerick did. As I said, there is no game as important as that where a team could gain home advantage. And it's not like we've been handed home advantage, it's still in Thurles.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

I'd have to disagree with you there, I know you're coming from it from a waterford point if view but in fairness the match was in limerick because the senior final was fixed for limerick, yes it happened to be limerick but equally if cork got to the munster minor final last year it would have been played in cork regardless of where limerick and cork last met in the minor, the only way to get around that is to have the minor final as a stand alone fixture...if waterford and limerick meet next year in minor where will it be fixed for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

I dunno much about them. Hard to know with Minors. Sounds like Tipp under performed, and while it might have been a better showing than expected from Waterford you'd be disappointed that they couldn't win despite being much the better team by the sound of it.

In 2011, Waterford were in both the Minor and Senior all ireland semis. The way it fell, Waterford were playing Kilkenny as Leinster winners in Senior and supposed to be playing Dublin as Minor winners of Leinster. The minor game was switched so that both Dublin games would be on the same day (they played Tipp in the Senior semi). I would bet any money that it wouldn't have been changed roles reverse, though I guess we'll never know.

We are incapable of holding a Munster final so we will never benefit the way Limerick did. As I said, there is no game as important as that where a team could gain home advantage. And it's not like we've been handed home advantage, it's still in Thurles.
    Ya that's totally unfair about the semi, it definitely wouldn't have been changed for the smaller fry as limerick were in the same position last year and played on 2 seperate days...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Jerome O'Connell's been busy tweeting; footballers dealt a blow as Paudie Browne is off to the middle east for the summer and won't be available.

The loss of Paudie Browne is huge, absolutely massive. I wonder did the management know as I'm pretty sure Browne played every minute of every game and is key at centre-back. It's not an easy role to fill, while we do have other players to play in the half-back line, someone with the experience and defensive ability of Browne is not easy to find. I imagine Iain Corbett will move to centre-back with Cillian Fahy or John Riordan starting at wing-back. Still, can't deny the service Browne has offered to Limerick over the years, fine player.

The switching of the minor game is a blow. I won't say it's unfair, but considering it had been announced for there, it is a blow. Also makes it impossible for me to get to aswell :(

Had heard about Nickie's injury, but hope to God he is fit, a very important player although I'm sure Murphy or Hennessey will do a good job in the meantime.

(1) Aaron Murphy (Fr. Casey’s)
    (2) David Hanley (Ballyteen)
    (3) Luke O’ Connell (Mungret)
    (4) Fionn Murphy (Killteely-Dromkeen)
    (5) John Wallace (Glin)
    (6) Sean Ivess (Newcastlewest)
    (7) Sean Murphy (Newcastlewest)
    (8) Adam Kerins (St.Senan’s)
    (9) Michael Whelan (Hospital/Herbertstown)
    (10) Andrew White (Rathkeale)
    (11) Mikey Morrissey (Rathkeale) (Captain)
    (12) Ed Sheehy (Granagh/Ballingarry)
    (13) Diarmuid Kelly (Newcastlewest)f
    (14) Mark Connolly (Adare)
    (15) James Ryan (Athea)

Minor team for the Cork game tomorrow evening. Got hammered this time last year, and to be fair, Cork have a lot more interest, a lot more resources and a lot better players. I'm not expecting too much this year but I think we are better organised this year... the U-21s put up a fine showing and the impact that the likes of Kinnerk & Gavin are having on getting the best young footballers involved is positive. 3 starters from NCW, 2 from 1 Rathkeale, just 1 from Abbeyfeale.

Anyone know if Diarmuid Kelly is a relation of Stephen and Jamesie?

I don't expect a win but if they put up a good fight, I'll be happy. Anything to get us back on the right track.

Mehapoy wrote: »
    I'd have to disagree with you there, I know you're coming from it from a waterford point if view but in fairness the match was in limerick because the senior final was fixed for limerick, yes it happened to be limerick but equally if cork got to the munster minor final last year it would have been played in cork regardless of where limerick and cork last met in the minor, the only way to get around that is to have the minor final as a stand alone fixture...if waterford and limerick meet next year in minor where will it be fixed for?

I know it was because of the Senior game but you'd agree it was an advantage? Pretty significant to get home advantage in a Munster final, regardless of how it came about, so I'd be thinking compensation is fair enough. That'd be a general principle but no doubt I have a vested interest here and is why I'm arguing the point.

That is an interesting point re where would next year's game be held, because that one is definitely going to divide opinion again. Thinking about it now, it would be even worse from our point of view if they gave this game as a neutral venue and then gave ye home advantage next year. But I'd imagine the approach at the moment is "we'll cross that bridge when it comes to it".

And funnily enough now that Fireball mentions it, it would have suited me for the Minor game to have been on in Limerick I could have gone as well!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

How much work is Kinnerk doing?Does he go into schools or what teams does he coach?

bigpink wrote: »
    How much work is Kinnerk doing?Does he go into schools or what teams does he coach?

Kinnerk is director coaching of football
    Hurlers play Galway Saturday in a challenge
    Under twenty ones meant be playing challenge also apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Cu Baire

Fireball07 wrote: »

Anyone know if Diarmuid Kelly is a relation of Stephen and Jamesie?

Not related but is a fine footballer and even better hurler.
    As far as I know has another year at minor level next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Injuries-

Nicky out for two months
    Downes just returning to light exercise- May make bench but not likely to feature
    Dodge - Same as above - Should make bench at least tho.
    Dowling - minor injury- should be fine

Is Hickey back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Home to galway saturday evening, hopefully we get a match report or two

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Home to galway saturday evening, hopefully we get a match report or two

It's on in galway now. Won't make it myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭chatjunkie

Is this true? Haven't heard anything about it being changed, apart from here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Yesterday Galway 2-29 Limerick 1-29. Wayne at 5 with Gavin at 6. Browne at wing forward. Hennessy and Murphy got a half each.

Wasn't at it but that is the gist of a brief summary I got in a text message.

Na Piarsaigh currently with a 4 point lead over Doon with about 12 minutes left in the under 21 final.

Yesterday Galway 2-29 Limerick 1-29. Wayne at 5 with Gavin at 6. Browne at wing forward. Hennessy and Murphy got a half each.

Wasn't at it but that is the gist of a brief summary I got in a text message.

Na Piarsaigh currently with a 4 point lead over Doon with about 12 minutes left in the under 21 final.

Who won the under twenty one game in kilmallock please?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭chatjunkie

Na Piarsaigh won, 0-22 to 2-07

Who won the under twenty one game in kilmallock please?

Na Piarsaigh won pretty handily in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Fair points and I understand it's not best be always negative
    I find my self in the same boat with cork senior football
    In my case I can't be positive if know it'd going to fail I have be realistic when comes coaching imo coach is either up to it or not at elite level

TJ Ryan is a gentleman who has served Limerick proudly both as a player and as a manager. He left noting behind him in his efforts on the field and wont as a manager.He does not deserve this carry on. He is a very good manager and left alone to do the job he will prove himself. This is his first year having sole charge and has done nothing to deserve the bitterness expressed by some on here.Fair weather supporters and a Corkconian who would be better served having a look at JBM not so impressive record.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭pajoguy

So after seeing todays two semi finals do people believe we can reach the required standard by May 24th?
    I am sure the fitness will improve from the dublin game but what about the hurling and tactics. Any word on how things are going? Its quiet so that can only be a good thing.
    Any word on Hickeys injury.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Today's s-finals make us look even worse... Cork were in the same situation as us but came roaring back in a manner we never even looked like doing. Logically we're no better than 7th in the pecking order.

Fair points and I understand it's not best be always negative
    I find my self in the same boat with cork senior football
    In my case I can't be positive if know it'd going to fail I have be realistic when comes coaching imo coach is either up to it or not at elite level

TJ Ryan is a gentleman who has served Limerick proudly both as a player and as a manager. He left noting behind him in his efforts on the field and wont as a manager.He does not deserve this carry on. He is a very good manager and left alone to do the job he will prove himself. This is his first year having sole charge and has done nothing to deserve the bitterness expressed by some on here.Fair weather supporters and a Corkconian who would be better served having a look at JBM not so impressive record.

I can only speak myself but I critsed tj many times management role as imo fully justified in under twenty one and senior terms

As regards the rumours I for one you will find said I wouldn't believe them until evidence and I heard nothing say there's trouble in camp
    I many times praised tj as great full back and outside jj would be one heroes along rock, as said before many times but you choose ignore that
    Is tj playing now
    No
    What is he manager limerick senior hurling team
    That he deserves be judged solely on and he's record after failing get promoted deserves be questioned

Jbm has nothing do with this but adds less value to your debate when you use it as means here
    Tj was point debate in record limerick management
    Now if you tell me what he's won as manager senior intercounty deserve total confidence fair enough
    Just for interest I have questions some jbm calls many times and even now cork thread like others done the same
    I don't turn a blind eye to things if think there wrong

• Advertisement

Today's s-finals make us look even worse... Cork were in the same situation as us but came roaring back in a manner we never even looked like doing. Logically we're no better than 7th in the pecking order.

Based on 2015 so far, that's fair enough. I do have faith that we'll be a lot better come Championship.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement