Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

Heard positive reports from the challenge match at the weekend against Galway, apparently a challenge against Waterford upcoming at some stage this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭slegs

Heard positive reports from the challenge match at the weekend against Galway, apparently a challenge against Waterford upcoming at some stage this week?

http://m.limerickleader.ie/sport/limerick-sport/limerick-hurlers-begin-championship-countdown-with-galway-challenge-game-1-6698748

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

slegs wrote: »

Interesting to see Fitzgibbon and POB at midfield, with GOM going to 6. Not great in the air, wouldn't have the physicality of Wayne for the position, but with Mc and Condon on either side of him that mightn't be such a huge issue. Would bring bags of hurling to centre-back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Interesting team, big positive is Hannon with 5 from play, lots of subs for both sides so you couldnt read a lot into it.

Will they have another challenge before club championship?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Interesting to see Fitzgibbon and POB at midfield, with GOM going to 6. Not great in the air, wouldn't have the physicality of Wayne for the position, but with Mc and Condon on either side of him that mightn't be such a huge issue. Would bring bags of hurling to centre-back.

I would say that Gavin is probably better than Wayne or Condon in the air, although he isn't particularly dominant himself.

It is only a challenge match obviously but it is good to see Hannon on form after a shocker against Dublin. But the chances of Browne & Jim-Bob not being at midfield for the Clare game are close to zero, I would imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

I can only speak myself but I critsed tj many times management role as imo fully justified in under twenty one and senior terms

As regards the rumours I for one you will find said I wouldn't believe them until evidence and I heard nothing say there's trouble in camp
    I many times praised tj as great full back and outside jj would be one heroes along rock, as said before many times but you choose ignore that
    Is tj playing now
    No
    What is he manager limerick senior hurling team
    That he deserves be judged solely on and he's record after failing get promoted deserves be questioned

Jbm has nothing do with this but adds less value to your debate when you use it as means here
    Tj was point debate in record limerick management
    Now if you tell me what he's won as manager senior intercounty deserve total confidence fair enough
    Just for interest I have questions some jbm calls many times and even now cork thread like others done the same
    I don't turn a blind eye to things if think there wrong

So tell me, why JBMs record is off the table and TJs is being slated. One a manager in his first full season the other on the back of two stints going back too 1999. So tell us please what this great record of JBMs is that gives any Corkonian the right to slate another counties manager. You should have enough on your plate to worrying about with your own team and your own manager who by the way has been found wanting a lot in the past three years. Tipp did not wipe Limerick off the pitch last year like they did to Cork or perhaps you conveniently forgot that little fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Can ye not bother please, why dont we leave any serious discussion of management till the end of year or at least until after a c'ship game, its fair to say we know where everybody stands at this stage, nothing to be gained.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Can ye not bother please, why dont we leave any serious discussion of management till the end of year or at least until after a c'ship game, its fair to say we know where everybody stands at this stage, nothing to be gained.

I'm not sure I know whether TTM thinks TJ is a good manager or has tactical nous yet, I'd love to find out his opinion on it.... ;)

Anyway, interesting half back line, with wayne and condon either side of o'mahony. Paudie posted at midfield instead of wing back thank god. Lynch corner forward, also good to see imo, chipping by in with three.

It's going to be more difficult than it has been in quite a while to pick/predict the team this year.

I don't think Gavin can play the archetype centre back role holding the middle. But he could do incredibly well in the position in the same style Dodge did in 2012, sweeping up all over the place. He's probably our best distributor of the ball out of the backs too so makes sense to get him being the one sweeping up or taking passes and sending it forward. Would require massive cover from midfield and half backs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

So tell me, why JBMs record is off the table and TJs is being slated. One a manager in his first full season the other on the back of two stints going back too 1999. So tell us please what this great record of JBMs is that gives any Corkonian the right to slate another counties manager. You should have enough on your plate to worrying about with your own team and your own manager who by the way has been found wanting a lot in the past three years. Tipp did not wipe Limerick off the pitch last year like they did to Cork or perhaps you conveniently forgot that little fact.
    Look this is limerick thread not cork thread
    Go cork thread you want ti discuss it
    I clearly questions jbm many times certainly calls but you choose see what you want
    Fact with jbm is better manager than Ryan as cork beat limerick last year and maybes I'm wrong but I guess only manager unbeaten by great cody in championship with two wins in management is jbm
    Now no way jbm as greatest as cody and never will be but he many fans I'm sure would say better than Ryan and given as manager huge glory cork something Ryan in management hasn't done or even come close to showed any signs capable doing
    When Ryan has done anything close to jbm it's fair to compare

And again it's not slating a manager have I not many times here past praised him as a player
    What I'm down is judgements on he's skillset
    What he done as a player does not give him immunity as a manager
    Would kilkenny do it , no
    Did cody slate Charlie carter when or many other he dropped field play
    No he did not, he judged them purely perfect on the field
    Limerick were any limerick fans I think be fair expected be promo this year as limerick hurling deserves an all Ireland

You should look up David Williams a free lance journalist , huge fan limerick hurling, a clare man last year said wanted limerick do well but said great players but tj he didn't think was man win limerick all Ireland senior title and had fears before were beaten even and said limerick had huge talent coming through

Is that slating no
    He like me had an opinion judging the manager on performance on field play in senior and under twenty one with limerick when he's team were destroyed despite being very good limerick team two years ago

I hsve no intention going toe with toe you as it's well known your dislike cork
    Fair enough your entitled top your view, totally respect it but I disagree
    Just final point jbm has proven senior all Ireland and minor as coach and got limited injury ridden cork team all Ireland final
    Again what has tj done in intercounty management
    Nothing yet and after poor league as many limerick fans have are well entitled questions management record
    This does not take away from he being a great full back and imo one of the best full-back of all time
    But he's now managing
    There's just my opinion a difference

Now he certainly made poor calls and you will do well remember anyone cork thread will tell you I blamed jbm after tipp game last year awful team selection and questions him regards dualism and even sullivan affair today cork thread
    In cork there are some fans who are not postive or negative just call it as it is imo

But jbm ten times manager tj will ever be
    I again critics like other limerick fans tj Ryan purely as manager and have always huge interest in limerick gaa at all level
    As I said point is here tj Ryan I was talking about after limerick failure be promoted
    You want to discuss jbm with cork I'll do that on cork thread no problem at all

This is limerick gaa thread

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I would say that Gavin is probably better than Wayne or Condon in the air, although he isn't particularly dominant himself.

It is only a challenge match obviously but it is good to see Hannon on form after a shocker against Dublin. But the chances of Browne & Jim-Bob not being at midfield for the Clare game are close to zero, I would imagine.

Heard hannon was briefly winning ball also not just scoring and imo puts end this trial he's centre back when he's not but outstanding half forward intercounty
    Worry imo is limerick half back line past year will start again and imo won't do v clsre who have pace real pace and won't pump high ball down to limerick unit but will run at them

Hannon would make most intercounty teams as a forward

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

An All Ireland title would be one, a Munster title 3 years into his second reign and only marginally away from an All Ireland title in 2013, beating Kilkenny for the first time since 2004 having lost to them 3 times since then I think. In fact, he has more championship wins against Cody's Kilkenny than any other manager as far as I know (2).

Fair enough, TJ might be getting a bit of harsh criticism though scrutiny is valid but there's no comparison between him and JBM.

Heard a report from limerick game last night and there was some postive I'm told but a some negative too

Apparently after half time Galway went went in to a huge lead and only last few minutes limerick put gloss on it
    Also limerick im told hit route one long ball down Galway backs time and again so nothing changes style play

It's only a challenge but cause Galway are not great loss them imo not great on top league disaster for confidence
    Unlike challenge v KK imo where you could loose but say learned bout few players in up against great opponent not sure same said v Galway in challenge

Imo limerick last two years had kind under radar no favourite tag and underdog drive them on as limerick do better as under dog with no expectations than favourite
    I think that the scenery has completely changed in this regard in look at two opponents they could face
    Clare with their bit trouble been relegated won't be overly confidence and they like limerick need a performance too so they have huge drive in them as like limerick have a cause

Tipperary now are under huge pressure after Sunday and o shea last year so play limerick limerick won't be underdogs either but point is tipp and clare have points to prove and while both have problems in teams facing limerick is game they know they can win and imo limerick huge advantage last few years going in backs to wall nobody give them chance and it drives them on, they now could find themselves playing opponents with same scenario them last few years so intensity bound be up and hunger also

If limerick hunger intensity matched they have to then have tactical game plan or better team to win v clare and tipp if they meet
    Tipperary imo won't beat KK but seriously good team and all eyes now on redemption against clare or limerick
    I'm told limerick half back line dominated the air but when Galway ran at them they opened up huge space
    As far as I'm told no sweeper either team were deployed

I wouldn't want to see us play with a sweeper.

We've a lot of injuries at the moment and even if guys start or play in the clare game it's unlikely that hickey, dodge or dowling will be 100%. A good performance and the likes of them and downes to get a bit more hurling into them and get back into the team and a run through the qualifiers may be the best thing for us. Possible addition of a few lads after finishing the leaving cert too which might add options from the bench especially when games open up a bit.

I wouldn't want to see us play with a sweeper.

We've a lot of injuries at the moment and even if guys start or play in the clare game it's unlikely that hickey, dodge or dowling will be 100%. A good performance and the likes of them and downes to get a bit more hurling into them and get back into the team and a run through the qualifiers may be the best thing for us. Possible addition of a few lads after finishing the leaving cert too which might add options from the bench especially when games open up a bit.
    I respect your opinion totally but based on numerous example past games I have to disagree with this refusal players a sweeper in offaly wexford Waterford all dominated limerick route one as good as Downes is Ryan etc win ball air clare swarming middle third will mean high ball meat and drink them

Look at Waterford sweeper beating tipp orthodox style
    Limerick simply have no choice play one v clare
    If they don't they will loose have no doubt
    As for ronan lynch come in fray etc great prospects but realistic wise won't be main impact this year no league training behind him cian lynch will be absolutely great bonus though

The limerick half back line mahony and Wayne too easy to run at limerick need sweeper with o grady playing that role
    I still am amazed at yet another league failure years upon years of old style being shown up limerick still some want to play that way
    Waterford be fair least embrace new way
    Limerick have no choice but to change ways like kerry football last year
    From traditional ways and kerry had won all Ireland old way something limerick haven't done in an age
    This geuinely is not meant sound harsh but look facts no all Ireland forty years counting don't lie I'm sorry to point out

I respect your opinion totally but based on numerous example past games I have to disagree with this refusal players a sweeper in offaly wexford Waterford all dominated limerick route one as good as Downes is Ryan etc win ball air clare swarming middle third will mean high ball meat and drink them

Look at Waterford sweeper beating tipp orthodox style
    Limerick simply have no choice play one v clare
    If they don't they will loose have no doubt
    As for ronan lynch come in fray etc great prospects but realistic wise won't be main impact this year no league training behind him cian lynch will be absolutely great bonus though

The limerick half back line mahony and Wayne too easy to run at limerick need sweeper with o grady playing that role
    I still am amazed at yet another league failure years upon years of old style being shown up limerick still some want to play that way
    Waterford be fair least embrace new way
    Limerick have no choice but to change ways like kerry football last year
    From traditional ways and kerry had won all Ireland old way something limerick haven't done in an age
    This geuinely is not meant sound harsh but look facts no all Ireland forty years counting don't lie I'm sorry to point out

Cork have greater need of a sweeper than Limerick, limerick have better backs.

Cork have greater need of a sweeper than Limerick, limerick have better backs.

I agree in limerick have the now best full back in the game and cover if needed
    Cork don't even come close
    However as regards the half back line I'd say cork are at least equality and possibly better and corner backs are equal

Cork half back line has more pace and more hurling and won't be run at as easily as limerick
    Problem limerick have is while full back line is good half back line won't get a foothold in the game if clare flood the half forward line and with clare who scored high scores against KK twice and always do in games they can outscore limerick from distance

While limerick have superb forward talents the problems are they won't get the space and possession to score if in certain areas clare win the possession stakes not due to limerick players not being good enough but simply due to the sheer weight of numbers

Game has gone the way of sweeper and almost every team plays it
    Cork have no choice play that game v Waterford
    Teams simple have no choice if opponents set up in a sweeper role you can't go orthodox you have to run out with the ball, break your ist tackle, short possession game to get runners in to space around half forward line to score

Limerick plan is go long and direct which suits a sweeper
    Forget about injured players, offaly should been beaten with even those out
    But as soon as the man went off offaly played a sweeper and limerick couldn't cope

Now compare that game to the league last year in cork that limerick were brilliant and should won and fully deserves to with key players out in cork
    As soon as the man went off they forced to a sweeper and short stick passing and sheer movement at pace they drew and were brilliant all cause o grady short game was ideal for that's scenario
    Cork who were orthodox then couldn't cope

Now fast forward a year, no way down a man even with injured players should limerick lost home to offaly when drew with cork away
    With greatest respect to offaly they are a poor team

Difference was the difference in play in limerick bombed ball after ball down to offaly sweeper where the year before limerick moved the ball in to space away from contact
    Tj style is run in to contact and against a team like clare it won't work

Minor footballers came from 8 down at the break to win against Waterford. Late goal proved crucial, but scored something like 1-4 or 1-5 without reply at the end. Great fighting spirit.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

I agree in limerick have the now best full back in the game and cover if needed
    Cork don't even come close
    However as regards the half back line I'd say cork are at least equality and possibly better and corner backs are equal

Cork half back line has more pace and more hurling and won't be run at as easily as limerick
    Problem limerick have is while full back line is good half back line won't get a foothold in the game if clare flood the half forward line and with clare who scored high scores against KK twice and always do in games they can outscore limerick from distance

While limerick have superb forward talents the problems are they won't get the space and possession to score if in certain areas clare win the possession stakes not due to limerick players not being good enough but simply due to the sheer weight of numbers

Game has gone the way of sweeper and almost every team plays it
    Cork have no choice play that game v Waterford
    Teams simple have no choice if opponents set up in a sweeper role you can't go orthodox you have to run out with the ball, break your ist tackle, short possession game to get runners in to space around half forward line to score

Limerick plan is go long and direct which suits a sweeper
    Forget about injured players, offaly should been beaten with even those out
    But as soon as the man went off offaly played a sweeper and limerick couldn't cope

Now compare that game to the league last year in cork that limerick were brilliant and should won and fully deserves to with key players out in cork
    As soon as the man went off they forced to a sweeper and short stick passing and sheer movement at pace they drew and were brilliant all cause o grady short game was ideal for that's scenario
    Cork who were orthodox then couldn't cope

Now fast forward a year, no way down a man even with injured players should limerick lost home to offaly when drew with cork away
    With greatest respect to offaly they are a poor team

Difference was the difference in play in limerick bombed ball after ball down to offaly sweeper where the year before limerick moved the ball in to space away from contact
    Tj style is run in to contact and against a team like clare it won't work
    Limerick were also terrible against Offaly in league 2014 and only got a draw against them...also got hammered in the quarter final where O'Grady dropped Richie McCarthy, an all star, so it's not all black and white, at least we have players in the correct positions now...

Mehapoy wrote: »
    Limerick were also terrible against Offaly in league 2014 and only got a draw against them...also got hammered in the quarter final where O'Grady dropped Richie McCarthy, an all star, so it's not all black and white, at least we have players in the correct positions now...
    Valid points but at best yere looking at all Ireland Semi final if yere lucky imo
    How can ye push for all Ireland bridge gap when ye done nothing to say improvement last year this year league
    Plus this year league ye had four awful performance so the new Zealand school thought of mind I can't help but think once is an acdcident more than once is a trend
    Congratulations on yere minor football win I'm glad limerick under age football doing work for future
    They played well v Cork and have good management imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Minor footballers came from 8 down at the break to win against Waterford. Late goal proved crucial, but scored something like 1-4 or 1-5 without reply at the end. Great fighting spirit.

Travelled out to the game tonight. As I've said before, NCW is a fine venue and vastly underated. Pitch immaculate again and facilities second to none.
    Brilliant second half display after being down 3-06 to 0-07 at half time.
    Waterford scored first point of second half to go 9 ahead, but then the Limerick fightback began. Wingback Murphy moved to centre-back in a direct swap with Ivess and this proved a crucial move. Murphy was at the centre of most of Limerick's good play and it was fitting that he scored the deciding goal near the end. Ivess was a different player too in the second half with a fine contribution and full-back O'Connell of Mungret was immense as the game went on.
    Midfield finally came to terms with the hugely influential Conor Prunty of Ballinacourty who had been running Limerick ragged.
    Up front, White and Morrissey of Rathkeale were outstanding and local man Kelly caused the Waterford defence big problems.
    Incidentally, Limericks first goal was scored by our other wing back Wallace of Glin who was rewarded for his constant forward runs.
    Fine win that keeps interest going in this competition for Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭N20

some job to pull that one out of bag - fair dues

washman3 wrote: »
    Travelled out to the game tonight. As I've said before, NCW is a fine venue and vastly underated. Pitch immaculate again and facilities second to none.
    Brilliant second half display after being down 3-06 to 0-07 at half time.
    Waterford scored first point of second half to go 9 ahead, but then the Limerick fightback began. Wingback Murphy moved to centre-back in a direct swap with Ivess and this proved a crucial move. Murphy was at the centre of most of Limerick's good play and it was fitting that he scored the deciding goal near the end. Ivess was a different player too in the second half with a fine contribution and full-back O'Connell of Mungret was immense as the game went on.
    Midfield finally came to terms with the hugely influential Conor Prunty of Ballinacourty who had been running Limerick ragged.
    Up front, White and Morrissey of Rathkeale were outstanding and local man Kelly caused the Waterford defence big problems.
    Incidentally, Limericks first goal was scored by our other wing back Wallace of Glin who was rewarded for his constant forward runs.
    Fine win that keeps interest going in this competition for Limerick.

Much of a crowd there? It's probably better to keep matches like this out west where a large amount of the panel are from.

Is Andrew White related to Paul White?

Are they well-coached? Anyway, it's good to get a win at this level after so long, it'd be nice to back it up with a big performance against Clare.

Did either Alan Ryan or Dylan Corrigan get a run?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Much of a crowd there? It's probably better to keep matches like this out west where a large amount of the panel are from.

Is Andrew White related to Paul White?

Are they well-coached? Anyway, it's good to get a win at this level after so long, it'd be nice to back it up with a big performance against Clare.

Did either Alan Ryan or Dylan Corrigan get a run?

Good enough crowd. Certainly much bigger that what it would be in Gaelic Grounds. More importantly, a good atmosphere out there.
    12 of the starting team from the West division.
    Ryan and Corrigan both subs, numbers 20 and 25.
    Think one came on in second half but cant remember which.
    McSweeney of G/Griffins on at half time and did well as did Hayes from Senans in second half.
    Would be fairly sure the Whites are brothers.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

washman3 wrote: »
    Good enough crowd. Certainly much bigger that what it would be in Gaelic Grounds. More importantly, a good atmosphere out there.
    12 of the starting team from the West division.
    Ryan and Corrigan both subs, numbers 20 and 25.
    Think one came on in second half but cant remember which.
    McSweeney of G/Griffins on at half time and did well as did Hayes from Senans in second half.
    Would be fairly sure the Whites are brothers.
    Good win for the minor footballers, will be tough to win against Clare away, it looks like limerick waterford and Clare are on one level with tipp, cork and Kerry a level above, ridiculous that's the first win for minors since 2010, we really have dropped the ball at underage levels...saw on clare site that minor hurlers beat their minors well, dunno what kinda teams were out so may not have any bearing, hopefully they've learned a lot from cork game, we should be trying to get tougher games though...

Mehapoy wrote: »
    Good win for the minor footballers, will be tough to win against Clare away, it looks like limerick waterford and Clare are on one level with tipp, cork and Kerry a level above, ridiculous that's the first win for minors since 2010, we really have dropped the ball at underage levels...saw on clare site that minor hurlers beat their minors well, dunno what kinda teams were out so may not have any bearing, hopefully they've learned a lot from cork game, we should be trying to get tougher games though...
    I'd agree with all that
    I was delighted for yere football team
    But to be fair to daly KK were played already few week prior to cotk it so and there playing wexford this weekend so we're unavailable, as is cork a no go in a challenge and tipperary being the only other possible team available so I wouldn't blame them now for the clare game
    Clare are not great but I don't think there's many other teams available now currently to play
    What they should do is pick out club senior side from Galway or cork who are preparing for championship and play them soon as for preparation for Waterford
    To be fair I heard some limerick lads played well and training has upped a level, the key will be the team named and as you said have lessons being learned from cork
    They have to increase pace in to the team and balance the physical side of it as against cork it was not correct nd flanangan has to be half forward surely

Wasn't at it but on Waterford thread limerick beat Waterford one thirty to 3-17 senior challenge tonight and by post Waterford no starters from last Sunday limerick were full strength
    Hard to know until I hear a report however. Conceded three goals just scoring won and seven point win with apparently full strength team going by poster to Waterford second team hardly hugely convincing following up from Galway results Saturday
    It will be interesting to see who limerick play next
    I'm not sure but I heard limerick trying get KK in challenge if true
    That would to be fair be a good challenge if it came to pass

http://m.limerickleader.ie/news/local-news/miraculous-recovery-as-limerick-s-daragh-goes-from-coma-to-gaa-glory-1-6705668
    He is making such a great recovery it is great to see.
    I am delighted for him like any gaa fans even outside of the county.
    For a young man he has showed a lot of courage and commitment.
    A fine hurler, I rated him highly last year and only for Paddy o loughin being so good he probably would been full back.
    When fully fit he definitely is good enough for the under twenty ones.
    I wish him nothing but the best in he's continued recovery and he's Leaving Cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭Browney7

http://m.limerickleader.ie/news/local-news/miraculous-recovery-as-limerick-s-daragh-goes-from-coma-to-gaa-glory-1-6705668
    He is making such a great recovery it is great to see.
    I am delighted for him like any gaa fans even outside of the county.
    For a young man he has showed a lot of courage and commitment.
    A fine hurler, I rated him highly last year and only for Paddy o loughin being so good he probably would been full back.
    When fully fit he definitely is good enough for the under twenty ones.
    I wish him nothing but the best in he's continued recovery and he's Leaving Cert.

Hear hear. Well said.

Lucky to be alive but the lad is trucking on despite the adversity. Fair play to him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Lynch started corner forward again yesterday, Gavin at 6 again. Sean O'Brien moved to the wing with King in the corner. If I were a betting man I'd say TJ will pick the following for the Clare game;

Murphy; Walsh, McCarthy, Condon; McNamara, O'Mahony, Morrissey; Ryan, P.O'Brien; Breen, Hannon, Browne; Mulcahy, Dowling, Tobin.

If Hickey fit, then he starts at 4, in which case a straight fight between Condon and Morrissey for the number 7 jersey. I'd hope Morrissey gets the nod, but I'd suspect Condon will get the nod as TJ has tended to be conservative.

Browne at wing forward the last two games suggests a straight swap with O'Grady, seems to be tradition to have one more defensive minded player in the half forward line (O.Moran, Hickey, Geary, O'Grady). I'm surprised it's Browne and not Ryan who is being tried there, Ryan is a bit more proven in the half forward line. If O'Grady is fit, then I'd imagine he'll go back in the wing, with Paudie O'Brien dropping out.

Even if Downes is available it's hard to see him being used in any role other than as a sub for the time being, but what a nice option to have.

Cian Lynch; I think 2015 is a year too soon in terms of him being a starter but I'd imagine he'll get a bit of time from the bench as well.

• Advertisement

Lynch started corner forward again yesterday, Gavin at 6 again. Sean O'Brien moved to the wing with King in the corner. If I were a betting man I'd say TJ will pick the following for the Clare game;

Murphy; Walsh, McCarthy, Condon; McNamara, O'Mahony, Morrissey; Ryan, P.O'Brien; Breen, Hannon, Browne; Mulcahy, Dowling, Tobin.

If Hickey fit, then he starts at 4, in which case a straight fight between Condon and Morrissey for the number 7 jersey. I'd hope Morrissey gets the nod, but I'd suspect Condon will get the nod as TJ has tended to be conservative.

Browne at wing forward the last two games suggests a straight swap with O'Grady, seems to be tradition to have one more defensive minded player in the half forward line (O.Moran, Hickey, Geary, O'Grady). I'm surprised it's Browne and not Ryan who is being tried there, Ryan is a bit more proven in the half forward line. If O'Grady is fit, then I'd imagine he'll go back in the wing, with Paudie O'Brien dropping out.

Even if Downes is available it's hard to see him being used in any role other than as a sub for the time being, but what a nice option to have.

Cian Lynch; I think 2015 is a year too soon in terms of him being a starter but I'd imagine he'll get a bit of time from the bench as well.

You think Morrissey is better than Condon? I like Condon, I think he has to play tbh, and he'd be good at wing-back.

Considering that King & O'Brien have both featured recently though, I think that TJ will keep Condon on the wing and play one of those corner-backs rather than Dan if Hickey misses out. I really hope Hickey doesn't miss out, we'll need him imo.

I like Paudie at midfield, but Browne at wing-forward doesn't make much sense to me tbh. Browne is just a quality midfielder... now if we're playing a 3rd midfielder then fair enough, it's just Browne doesn't offer much of a ballwinning option really... I'd have kept Browne/Ryan and moved Paudie further forward if anything.

And also the fact that Lynch has been playing at 15 ahead of Tobin for both games implies to me that Lynch is being given the loose forward role which would suit him brilliantly and could also be a puckout option. Tobin is probably less suited to that role (Mulcahy would be the best man for it imo, but he's also a top-notch inside forward).

How about Downes? Supposed to be back soon. Could be an option in the half-forward line.

Not sure about Gavin at 6 either. But we don't really have anyone that jumps out, sadly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement