Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freeman Megamerge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

cobhguy28 wrote: »
    The Hub Facebook page recently announced that they had a Top Irish Barrister Rosta Fanning working for them. When it was pointed out that there was no barrister by that name they deleted the Post and put this up instead.

"The Hub – Ireland made an attempt at an April fools joke: a barrister, free, four days a week: we got you all: the Hub’s motto, first up – best dressed. Watch out for Wednesday then."
    As in a deliberate play on Rossa Fanning?

I don't get it:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

The Hub Facebook page recently announced that they had a Top Irish Barrister Rosta Fanning working for them. When it was pointed out that there was no barrister by that name they deleted the Post and put this up instead.

"The Hub – Ireland made an attempt at an April fools joke: a barrister, free, four days a week: we got you all: the Hub’s motto, first up – best dressed. Watch out for Wednesday then."

A little early for Aprils Fools pranks, no?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Rosta Fanning B.L. Wasnt he the barrister that represented the Constant Marcewitz in his injunction against British Water charges back in the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭whippet

its amazing how every week there seems to be a 'charity' case who the Hub finds to donate their donations to. It is as if they need to get rid of the cash in their collection box on a regular basis and have a steady stream of hard luck cases to give it out to - no questions asked - just empty the bucket.

This week it is a woman sleeping in a car in tesco's carpark ... so they gave her money for petrol, b&B and phone credit, rather than bringing her to one of the city's homeless charities. I am sure all donations in and out are recorded meticulously and transparent.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

whippet wrote: »
    its amazing how every week there seems to be a 'charity' case who the Hub finds to donate their donations to. It is as if they need to get rid of the cash in their collection box on a regular basis and have a steady stream of hard luck cases to give it out to - no questions asked - just empty the bucket.

This week it is a woman sleeping in a car in tesco's carpark ... so they gave her money for petrol, b&B and phone credit, rather than bringing her to one of the city's homeless charities. I am sure all donations in and out are recorded meticulously and transparent.

Interesting, if they are soliciting donations and subsequently proclaiming these donations are dispersed to worth causes are they operating as a charity? The
    Hub are not listed as a registered charity at http://www.charitiesregulatoryauthority.ie

According to the Charities Regulator:

All charities operating in Ireland must apply for registration if your organisation is any of the following...
    • a charitable trust;
    • a body corporate that promotes a charitable purpose only and must, according to its own constitution or rules, use all of its property to advance that purpose;
    • an unincorporated body of persons that promotes a charitable purpose and must, according to its own constitution or rules, use all of its property to advance that purpose;

If they are not a charity, are they a Limited company or is one or more of the individuals involved declaring the donation income somewhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Graham wrote: »
    Interesting, if they are soliciting donations and subsequently proclaiming these donations are dispersed to worth causes are they operating as a charity?

If they are not a charity, are they a Limited company or is one or more of the individuals involved declaring the donation income somewhere?

Artists rendering of The Hubs premises...

SIMPSONS-I_cant_believe_its_a_law_firm.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Two points to be fair to them.

The Charities Regulator office is only setting up and a lot of bodies may not be aware of it just yet or in the process of registering.
    If they are just collecting cash and distributing it to random causes then it may not apply to them.

That said, would you be assured in the knowledge that they are are doing what they say they are? :)

Graham wrote: »
    Interesting, if they are soliciting donations and subsequently proclaiming these donations are dispersed to worth causes are they operating as a charity? The
    Hub are not listed as a registered charity at http://www.charitiesregulatoryauthority.ie

According to the Charities Regulator:

All charities operating in Ireland must apply for registration if your organisation is any of the following...
    • a charitable trust;
    • a body corporate that promotes a charitable purpose only and must, according to its own constitution or rules, use all of its property to advance that purpose;
    • an unincorporated body of persons that promotes a charitable purpose and must, according to its own constitution or rules, use all of its property to advance that purpose;

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Recently, another group of Paddy Angrymen, Integrity Ireland decided to make a holy show of themselves at the Mayo County Registrar's Court in Castlebar. Their prime mover is a chap called Stephen Manning who's quite the prolific lay litigant.

They've summarised their list of complaints here.

Highlights of their adventures include:
    • Not really grasping what a County Registrar does
    • Not knowing how the amicus curiae process works but thinking that it gives them some kind of carte blanche to shout as loudly as they can
    • Wanting to rely on a European Directive that hasn't yet been transposed (and doesn't need to be for some months yet)
    • Thinking their Constitutional rights are absolute
    • Wanting Gardai to consent to being arrested by them (but wisely decide against laying a hand upon said Gardai)

It also signs off with this almighty piece of woo, culminating in the usual unilateral demands for cash money if everything isn't to their satisfaction.
    Caveat of affirmation: I respectfully assert my statutory right to fair and equitable treatment, and reserve the moral right to disengage communication with any individual or agency who, through the means of misinformation, evasiveness, obfuscation, deception or other disingenuous tactics, contrives to avoid fulfilling their mandate to the public [as defined in the Constitution, respective codes of ethics, oaths of office and/or terms of service] other than where I am legally obliged to do so. I further affirm my right to note, report, record and/or publish any communications sent or received for the purposes of transparency, due accountability, and in the interests of natural justice. I further reserve the right to hold responsible under the law any individual, agent or agency I deem responsible for deliberate civil, criminal or constitutional breaches, and to bill any such agents or agencies for time and costs incurred. I do not deal with anonymous, pseudonymous, allonymous or imaginary entities. Annotated emails are accepted under certain exceptional or pre-agreed circumstances, but important or legal correspondence must also be sent as hard copies, duly signed. Unsigned correspondence that is not ascribed to one authorised individual will not be responded to and may be returned for signing, with costs billed to the source thereof. Please be advised.

Full of freeman crap!!

I loved this bit - "who are acting as a McKensie friend for" ......... "Who...for? ... All the ... All the .. the distressed people in there"

What a bunch of time wasting clowns

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Another Jerry Beades success story.

Meanhile, DDI's Ray Hall has been promising to pay back his mortgage sometime in the next 31 years with his homemade promissory note. Seems legit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SpaceSasqwatch

brilliant trolling page in fairness :pac:

This post has been deleted.

That's some quality trolling, I notice a lot of the usual suspects from the "WhereverSaysNo" and Anti-Everything movements falling for the bait quite nicely.

Further to Jerry Beades' last smackdown in the Court of Appeal, his "client" has decided to play nice with the receiver and purge his contempt, thus securing the freedom that Jerry was unable to deliver. Full marks to Hunt J for not allowing indulging Beades with a right of audience.

I'd be looking for a discount if I was the farmer and hadn't received the "representation" that was promised...if any money changed hands and I'm not implying that it did.

Missed it a couple of weeks ago but there was a weekend piece in the Times profiling the Land League West and their glorious leader Gerry O'Boyle. One time helicopter-ownin', BMW-drivin', insurance-defraudin', driving-licence-forgin' Gerry O'Boyle, man of the people that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Robbo wrote: »
    Full marks to Hunt J for not allowing indulging Beades with a right of audience.
    When Land League activist Jerry Beades on several occasions on Wednesday attempted to “assist” Mr O’Shea in addressing the court, he was directed by Judge Hunt to step away.

“You have no connection with the matter,” the judge said.
    Proper order too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,336 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Further to Jerry Beades' last smackdown in the Court of Appeal, his "client" has decided to play nice with the receiver and purge his contempt, thus securing the freedom that Jerry was unable to deliver. Full marks to Hunt J for not allowing indulging Beades with a right of audience.

I'd be looking for a discount if I was the farmer and hadn't received the "representation" that was promised...if any money changed hands and I'm not implying that it did.

Contempt purged, but not end of story it seems.

https://www.facebook.com/thelandleague/posts/1572499059693154
    Spokesperson for the The New Land League
    Tuesday Morning, 8AM Dublin,
    The siege of Paul O'Shea private residence took a new turn at 2 AM this Morning.
    Security men and hauliers acting on the instructions of Receiver George Maloney again tried to access the private entrance to Paul's house,
    The receiver has his own entrance to the lands which he has court orders over,
    He continues to attempt accessing up the private driveway ,
    A large crowed gathered at 2 AM at the gates along with Mrs O'Shea and a stand off ensured ,
    Jerry Beades

Own a timber frame house? Well apparently it can't be repossessed...for reasons. How? Well they can't tell you on the internet but if you talk to the wallet inspector at Hub HQ they'll fill you in...

Own a timber frame house? Well apparently it can't be repossessed...for reasons. How? Well they can't tell you on the internet but if you talk to the wallet inspector at Hub HQ they'll fill you in...

I saw that earlier alright ... what a bunch of planks !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭relax carry on

whippet wrote: »
    I saw that earlier alright ... what a bunch of planks !

Shouldn't that be "worthless" planks like the "worthless" timber framed houses? :-) Don't worry I'll see myself out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

They probably set fire to it. "Reclaim this!"

• Advertisement

That's some Grade-A stupid right there.

The Hub, apparently helping those who cannot afford their homes (and I use that lightly), invite you to a night out in an expensive city centre boozer, whereby they will extract further funds from you....https://www.facebook.com/events/1599198297035940/
    You don't have to be able to sing , Come along to have fun, or become the singer you always wanted to be, Perform in costume, as an individual or as a group, just come along and raise some money for The Hub-Ireland.
    Entries have to be in by Wednesday 27th of May email thehubfundraiser@gmail.com more details.
    Prices to perform is 5 Euro and 8 Euro for spectators on the day.
    Dont worry it'll be a great night to remember, lots of entertainment on the day.
    Why fund The Hub – Ireland:
    The Hub is there to lend a hand to anyone in mortgage difficulties; we are a non-profit organisation that relies on donations. Our ethos has always been “how can you charge someone that is in fear of losing their home and are at the lowest ebb of their lives”.
    We are looking to raise enough money to have a fund available to those who are in the courts with their banks; specifically, those that have an eviction orders against the family home and are unable to afford the court fees to file an appeal.
    The Hub would either fund their cause or loan the money to put in the necessary paperwork to file an appeal to whatever court is necessary and if need be: end up in the European Courts.
    The cost of filing an appeal in the High Court is €65.00 for a notice, €20.00 for the affidavit and €10.00 to swear the affidavit, then 3 books of appeal and the production of which is around €120.00. The appeal itself is then €250.00, most people fighting eviction have no means of obtaining such cash and that’s why we would like a fund to help those in need.
    The Hub Ireland: 01 534 9118

• Registered Users Posts: 40,286 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The Hub, apparently helping those who cannot afford their homes (and I use that lightly), invite you to a night out in an expensive city centre boozer, whereby they will extract further funds from you....https://www.facebook.com/events/1599198297035940/

Heartwarming

all to go in to the donation jar in the office which randomly gets tipped in to a 'helpless' person's purse who just wanders in to the office looking for help .. 'cos they are sound like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Those guys provide so much entertainment already, why would we need to pay to see them sing...?

Why can't they just stick to the comedy they're so good at....?

I was reading this recent judgment which involved the sorry tail of barramundi fish being farmed on land (!). Here the defendant company claimed they had no money for representation and thus had to be represented by one of their directors. This is rarely allowed (and indeed is the reason the first Attack-the-Tax "action" failed) and wasn't allowed in this case.

On further reading, there were a certain few tell tale signs of the Freemen about this. The first clue was the rambling nature of matters:
    Although Mr Flynn complains in the affidavit that he swore on the 23rd April 2014 to ground the present application that its contents may not be complete due to the shortness of time available to him for its preparation, I note that it runs to approximately 55 pages and comprises 175 numbered paragraphs of closely spaced type. No doubt, Mr Flynn would borrow a phrase from Blaise Pascal in submitting that he made his affidavit very long because he did not have the leisure to make it shorter.
    Then we have the nature of the defence raised:
    Instead, in broad terms the defence comprises: first, a series of complaints alleging procedural unfairness and a want of form in the progress of the proceedings to date; second a series of technical objections to the validity of the mortgage deed upon which the bank relies; third, a series of technical objections to the validity of the loan agreement between the company and the bank; fourth, a series of technical objections to the validity of the demand for repayment of the loan made by the bank; fifth, a bare assertion that the bank’s solicitors acted for both the bank and the company in the relevant transactions, thereby creating a conflict of interest; sixth, a bare assertion that the company had a collateral agreement with the bank whereby it was only required to make repayments on its indebtedness for a period of one year; seventh, a bare assertion that the bank was negligent in lending to the company; eighth, a series of technical objections to the bank’s locus standi to bring or maintain the proceedings; and ninth, a bare assertion that “Land and Conveyancing Act 2009 unconstitutional.” Mr Flynn submitted that this was only an outline defence and sought to reserve the company’s right to enter a full and proper defence if he is granted permission to act as the company’s legal representative.
    A bit of Googling gives a chap with the same name from the same part of the world who would appear to be a "client" of Ben Gilroy and has similarly fishy interests which might align with those of a land-barramundi farmer.

Meanwhile, Lord Byron of Jenkins has been serving proceedings on those who now hold his large and subprime debts.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭cobhguy28

Anyone listen to this http://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/The_Pat_Kenny_Show/The_Pat_Kenny_Show_Highlights/85702/ tom D'Arcy says that, that barrister is working with him however I am finding it hard to find any information on him except a suspicious LinkedIn account

Anyone listen to this http://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/The_Pat_Kenny_Show/The_Pat_Kenny_Show_Highlights/85702/ tom D'Arcy days that, that barrister is working with him however I am finding it hard to find any information on him except a suspicious LinkedIn account

That's Colm Lyons. Interesting that an English "barrister" practicing in Germany (where they don't have barristers) chose to use an Irish form of his name. Only ever come across him connected to the loony groups. Certain acts from 2009 prevent me from expressing more of an opinion in an open forum...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

That's Colm Lyons. Interesting that an English "barrister" practicing in Germany (where they don't have barristers) chose to use an Irish form of his name. Only ever come across him connected to the loony groups. Certain acts from 2009 prevent me from expressing more of an opinion in an open forum...

Why does Pat Kenny continue to provide airtime to these guys?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

my friend wrote: »
    Why does Pat Kenny continue to provide airtime to these guys?
    Because he got stuffed in a lawcase over a certain plot of land! :P

Advertisement