Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores Closing in Sligo **mod warning post #720**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

T-Bird wrote: »
    OH read this morning that mchughs owners (who has something to do with o'hehirs? related?) are reopening Source as a pub. Had a quick search on google, but cant find anyhing about it.
    Only the third rumour I've heard about that old Source building in the last fortnight - the others being:
    • Neven Maguire is planning on opening a restaurant there
    • Shells in Sligo is planning to expand to it
    This town is the pits for these sort of rumours at the moment.

Even The Swagman has to put up a message confirming they're not closing on Facebook yesterday as that was another rumour floating around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Basq wrote: »
    Only the third rumour I've heard about that old Source building in the last fortnight - the others being:
    • Neven Maguire is planning on opening a restaurant there
    • Shells in Sligo is planning to expand to it
    This town is the pits for these sort of rumours at the moment.

Even The Swagman has to put up a message confirming they're not closing on Facebook yesterday as that was another rumour floating around.

jaysus i'll miss the swagman

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Tigger wrote: »
    jaysus i'll miss the swagman

But its not closing.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

yeah my housemate came home yesterday saying the same thing and all I could say then was that that was bollix. glad I was right, i like the swagman! shame about chapters too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

I'd imagine that rumour started because the Swagman is owned by O'Hehirs (or their Bank)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭lubie76

T-Bird wrote: »
    OH read this morning that mchughs owners (who has something to do with o'hehirs? related?) are reopening Source as a pub. Had a quick search on google, but cant find anyhing about it.

He has no connection to o'hehirs whatsoever. McHughs had source for fleadh and was a disaster so I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭IrishLad2012

I see Abrakebabra in Sligo is closed, they have a poster up looking for a new franchisee.

I see Abrakebabra in Sligo is closed, they have a poster up looking for a new franchisee.

Been closed for about at least 6 months, maybe 12. Poster was originally they were renovating.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Been closed for about at least 6 months, maybe 12. Poster was originally they were renovating.
    haha seriously first time I noticed today. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭DenMan

Just passed it half an hour ago and saw it! A week ago they still had the sign up that they were re-locating to a new premises and that's gone now! Maybe Abrakebabra have pulled the plug now on their Sligo restaurant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,483 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Aw, now where can I go for violence and food poisoning??

Don't answer, I already know my alternatives.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Aw, now where can I go for violence and food poisoning??

Don't answer, I already know my alternatives.

What should I avoid?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,095 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Feed Up wrote: »
    Sligo Today is running an article saying that O'Hehir's have closed two shops, High Street and Wolfe Tone Street.

Sad news for the O'Hehirs and for the staff.

Where about on Wolfe Tone Street was the shop? Grew up in Sligo but just can't pace it.

Anything to the bakery O'Hehirs?

Ok, other posts suggest that the bakery (who own the Swagman building) also have some newsagents - that's news to me, I didn't know that.

I thought the shop opposite the Friary was called Conways?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Geuze wrote: »
    Anything to the bakery O'Hehirs?

Ok, other posts suggest that the bakery (who own the Swagman building) also have some newsagents - that's news to me, I didn't know that.

I thought the shop opposite the Friary was called Conways?
    they would be and it was.

The ENTIRE mezzanine level of the Quayside is now empty, just noticed the alterations place closed today.

Maybe this level needs a total redesign or thought on what to put in it. Not sure if the place is big enough, or if Sligo has the population to make it a food court.

Maybe a mix of stalls selling craft stuff, with a mix of small independent retailers/sellers and seasonal stuff, with a sandwich and/or smoothy bar.

Either way, its looking pretty bare.

The ENTIRE mezzanine level of the Quayside is now empty, just noticed the alterations place closed today.

Maybe this level needs a total redesign or thought on what to put in it. Not sure if the place is big enough, or if Sligo has the population to make it a food court.

Maybe a mix of stalls selling craft stuff, with a mix of small independent retailers/sellers and seasonal stuff, with a sandwich and/or smoothy bar.

I think it was a bad design from day 1, like its not easy accessible with no direct escalator going to it.

Sad to see it all closed now, would love to see something being done with it.

I think it was a bad design from day 1, like its not easy accessible with no direct escalator going to it.

Sad to see it all closed now, would love to see something being done with it.

I dont recall all of it being there originally. Its nearly like it was an after thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

Who ever designed the entire site appartments and needs a talking too,hard to know if the new owners will revitalise the plce the feeling is no,

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭sgds

As far as I'm aware the mezzanine level was originally built as part of the car park and it was an afterthought to re design it for shops. With the low ceiling in parts and not great access I think it would have been better to remain as a car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭tomhenryford

I wish a M&S would take the the mezzanine level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

sgds wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware the mezzanine level was originally built as part of the car park and it was an afterthought to re design it for shops. With the low ceiling in parts and not great access I think it would have been better to remain as a car park.

Yes your right ironcly it would be making a few pound today if it still was a car park,but a Celtic tiger notion by the owners to try and extract as much out of rents without thinking it trough.

sligono1 wrote: »
    Yes your right ironcly it would be making a few pound today if it still was a car park,but a Celtic tiger notion by the owners to try and extract as much out of rents without thinking it trough.
    Think its an example of how greedy we got during the Celtic Tiger years, I think the fact Michael Fingleton opened Quayside, tells a story of its own.

It would even be a worse layout than Tescos. With it also being used as access to the car park.

:D

If they were to come to Sligo, the Source Building would be nearly perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

The alterations place was on a month-to-month contract. They were finding it tough to negotiate the rent.

Was in there again today, and noticed that off all the units across from TK Max, only one of them is occupied, by a hair dressers/barbers.

If we were to get a M&S in the Quay Side, they would probably have to take over them units as well as the mezzanine units, as well as some of the public space, without risking access to the carparks and toilets. One level being clothing and homeware, with the other being their foodstore.

Saying all that would not like to see existing stores closed for them, unless they were relocated for the same rate as they are on now, assuming the new space was more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭tomhenryford

M&S would be a great employer for the town though, they pay well and the store itself would be a great anchor for Quayside and the town. Like when I consider day-tripping anywhere, I only ever go where they is a M&S and somewhere like a topshop or h&m. We have nothing to offer anyone but penneys and next and river island.

Many towns have their own little boutiques and nice shops etc but people don't know they're there until they actually come to the town and the only thing that brings them in the first place is high street anchors of which we don't have many.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭prodsc

Mary's Discount Store on Castle st has not been open for the last few days. No surprise if its gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

prodsc wrote: »
    Mary's Discount Store on Castle st has not been open for the last few days. No surprise if its gone.

They don't have much items in there really, it's too small!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

There was lads carrying out all of the shelving when I walked past on Monday or Tuesday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

It was too small and cramped. Dealz might have effected them too, its a far bigger, nicer shop selling much the same things and some cheaper I found. I always had a good look around the old Mary's but had no interest in the tiny one.

Advertisement