Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vehicle Gallery - Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

foreign wrote: »
    The remaining Mondeo's wouldn't have been main cars. They wouldn't be on the road 24/7 so are taking longer to hit the 300k limit. Saw a 07 Avensis the other day.

I saw a 2003 unmarked avensis the other day on the Lucan bypass. It was the horrible saloon model. Only one i've even seen..

She was grey and very,very rough looking.. Probably do another few years :D:D

In all fairness they bought a lot more Mondeo's than avensis..

carzony wrote: »
    I saw a 2003 unmarked avensis the other day on the Lucan bypass. It was the horrible saloon model. Only one i've even seen..

She was grey and very,very rough looking.. Probably do another few years :D:D

In all fairness they bought a lot more Mondeo's than avensis..

They bought a huge amount in 07. That deal featured in a Comptroller & Auditor Generals report. I'd say they just got a great deal with the 08 model coming into stock for Ford at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Has the 2003 marked mondeo gone from dublin city?

They still have a lot going around alright but them Mondeos are good.

That the traffic one ? If so I haven't seen that in about a year. Saw a regular marked one a couple of months back out near the airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

rocky911 wrote: »
    Still a 06 Mondeo going on the North Side of Cork City..they are bullet proof!

They are and they aren't lot of them are prone to piston rings going on them.

They are and they aren't lot of them are prone to piston rings going on them.

I think on the diesels the injectors are well known to give trouble also. All in all a good car though and you still see many 01 mondeo's been driven about by the general public..

I also love the focus of that era.. I don't think Garda bought many of them though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Seems like an odd limit - 300 k in the city would be a lot different to 300k in rural mayo - or even 300k in commuter belt -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

I also love the focus of that era.. I don't think Garda bought many of them though.

Oh they did

• Registered Users Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭source

There's a few of that model focus left in Limerick, unmarked though. Don't think I've ever even seen a marked one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Terenure and Rathmines still have an 04 Focus and an 07 Mondeo, the latter of which is in excellent condition (on the outside at least).

• Registered Users Posts: 42 DAVE1972

northside cork city has a marked up 06 corrolla h/b perfect condition , a new arrival recently a kind of spare or compol car

• Advertisement

DAVE1972 wrote: »
    northside cork city has a marked up 06 corrolla h/b perfect condition , a new arrival recently a kind of spare or compol car

A handful of those are still about.. many unmarked though..

yes theres actually an unmarked 06 metallic shiny blue there aswell

It's a pity no big transits are being bought anymore.. They seemed to have lasted long enough and as far as I know there a good, reliable van..

My neighbour has one that colour stands out to much :eek:

My neighbour has one that colour stands out to much :eek:

ya can be spotted a mile away , the vans around are very old 05 ducato ive seen

i've seem lots of 03 transits still about aswell as 07's. I think Kilmainham has a 05 dutaco aswell.

i've seem lots of 03 transits still about aswell as 07's. I think Kilmainham has a 05 dutaco aswell.

the oldest ive seen around is an 02 transit in co cork and an unmarked 04 corrolla saloon in cork city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rocky911

Thats stationed in Graun at the moment, the marked h/b corolla came from Cork North afaik. There is one large transit left in the city to best of knowledge which is attached to Mayfield but pretty sure she is close to the graveyard also.

Also a few i40s are being sent out at the moment, a saloon has been sent to the northside and an unmarked estate in Midleton both still not up to the job hah

ive seen unmarked 140 saloon in blackpool when i checked up engine size on cartell it says 1.7d comfort saloon and also says on it that it is a garda car. ! very strange i thought

ive seen unmarked 140 saloon in blackpool when i checked up engine size on cartell it says 1.7d comfort saloon and also says on it that it is a garda car. ! very strange i thought

Correct, nothing different in here bar the lights fitted..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Capri wrote: »

Mad story that. I'd imagine this is not the only times money has been wasted like this..

Mad story that. I'd imagine this is not the only times money has been wasted like this..

If we only knew the half of it.. vaguely remember them fixing up an oul mondeo worth less then the repair costs after it hit a horse a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Mother of god - will someone at Ford ever learn how to rustproof vans at the factory - 2008 is ridiculously new to be having corrosion serious enough to put a vehicle fit only for scrap

Old diesel wrote: »
    Mother of god - will someone at Ford ever learn how to rustproof vans at the factory - 2008 is ridiculously new to be having corrosion serious enough to put a vehicle fit only for scrap

Well, one was a Fiat.

Well, one was a Fiat.

Few ducatos in cork too at the moment, the dog unit have a 05 one that was sent in last year for rust also but came back after 2 months like "new". In the mean time they had a 02 terrano which was as rough as a badgers hole

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Well, one was a Fiat.

Good point - a 2005 I think - still very poor - but 2008 is really bad.

Thing is - the need for it to be scrapped suggests REALLY BAD corrosion - in say a structural area of the van - on parts NOT easily replaced or repaired properly.

For example - if the door was rusty - you could replace it easily - but bad corrosion on the chassis is a different ballgame

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I would guess it's life beside te sea and been close to the north and colder weather would have a huge affect.

Old diesel wrote: »
    Good point - a 2005 I think - still very poor - but 2008 is really bad.

Thing is - the need for it to be scrapped suggests REALLY BAD corrosion - in say a structural area of the van - on parts NOT easily replaced or repaired properly.

For example - if the door was rusty - you could replace it easily - but bad corrosion on the chassis is a different ballgame

I've seen 2011 Transits with rust around the doors and particularly around the shocks which is why most are scrapped. They are well known for it since the 90's at least.

it's a wonder the Mondeo doesnt suffer the same problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Vans were never treated as well as any car as their life span is usually low as they are trashed around and put up big miles in short timeframes not all of course but most.

A modern police force really should have better vehicles then the criminals and there is plenty of money in Ireland they just love to pi8s it away on rubbish.

Advertisement