Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bargain alerts

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Lidl will have their "famous" (well it should be at the price) folding saw back again, Thursday February 26th (iirc €2.99) plenty posted on them already, well worth the money.

Aldi had a stack of Rolson mini multi tool sets. I bought one of the Rolson sets which is a Leatherman style pair of small pliers and a knife set, I'm not sure it was worth the whole €2.50 I spent on it (they were 4.99) but I was about to buy myself a small pocket knife anyway for pencil sharpening and the knife part of the set will do that fine. The quality isn't bad (apart from the cross head scewdrivers which are useless) but anyone used to the Leatherman multi tools will notice that these Rolson copies are heavier and bulkier, but what to you expect for €2.50!

I nearly bought one of the head torches in Lidl today they looked decent enough for €10 but no better than the ones I already have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

Camping items back in Aldi on Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

ShadowFox wrote: »
    Camping items back in Aldi on Thursday

Anything worth getting? Nothing of interest on the website

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

aaakev wrote: »
    Anything worth getting? Nothing of interest on the website

I picked up the rolling water barrel that was about it but there is more either today or Sunday I seen the poster up in my local

Check out Tesco too I heard the cutlery set was 1.75 and the large camp stove gas cans were under 2 Euro

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?id=448

Hiking Heros from Thursday 2nd April

i have the hiking trousers and they are great the rain just runs off them and they are smart enough to wear down the pub too :D

• Advertisement

davycc wrote: »
    http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?id=448

Hiking Heros from Thursday 2nd April

i have the hiking trousers and they are great the rain just runs off them and they are smart enough to wear down the pub too :D

Those micofibre towels are good too.

my3cents wrote: »
    Those micofibre towels are good too.

what would you use them for yourself? i always overlooked them

Microfiber draws water in and drys quickly, very handy if your camping or hiking for a few days because you wont be carrying a wet towel. Thst coupled with the fact they are seriously small when rolled up makes em Perfect for outdoor use

I keep one as an emergency towel, handy to keep with any change of cloths. Rarely use them myself but have lent them to people on the beach to dry kids off that have fallen in and they've worked well. Compare the Lidl prices with some of the brand names http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=microfibre+towel+camping definite bargin at €3.99.

These are a similar size and come in a similar bag http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microfibre-Towel-travel-camping-towel/dp/B00C0C5UWY £11.99!

aaakev wrote: »
    Microfiber draws water in and drys quickly, very handy if your camping or hiking for a few days because you wont be carrying a wet towel. Thst coupled with the fact they are seriously small when rolled up makes em Perfect for outdoor use

thanks i must pick up a couple for my summer camping stash:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Was in an army surplus store in Carlow today. It had some excellent gear in it.

Thanks to theemigrant for tipping me off on this. I was down that part of the country recently and stopped by for a look. It's a big modern warehouse retail unit with all sorts of tools, home-ware, camping and surplus gear. It's nice to have a lot of space to spread out the surplus gear, a big change from the usual small units with everything crammed in. They also have a changing room which helps with Nato sized clothing.

The surplus clothing comes mainly from Britain, Germany and the Netherlands. Jackets, shirts, trousers, hats, pouches etc. The price is on most items, but not all.

What I picked up was:

Stuff sack for the British Army jungle sleeping bag - as new €5
    German Army combats (OG), Grade 1 - €10
    British Army 'Norgie' top, Grade 1 - €10
    German army poncho, Grade 2 - €15 (no leaks or cuts, just old)
    British Army goretex bivvy bag - Grade 1* €50

* now the British army OG bivvy bag used to be a bargain you could pick up for £20, but nowadays it's getting rarer and more expensive as stocks dry up. So when I picked one up that looked in good condition I found it hard to put it back :D. In the shop everything looked fine with the bag, but when I got it home I did discover a few small nicks in the cover that will need repair.

So the bivvy bag wasn't a bargain, but the rest I'm happy with. I'm not paying sterling prices with a euro credit card and I don't have any P&P charges either.

I spoke at some length with the guy behind the counter, a decent bloke and he threw in the stuff sack for free when I winched over the price on the bivvy bag.

It's worth a trip if you're in the area, but I wouldn't travel any more than an hour out of my way to stop there. Genuine surplus gear is a small market in Ireland and it's always good to support your local shop if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Thanks to theemigrant for tipping me off on this. I was down that part of the country recently and stopped by for a look. It's a big modern warehouse retail unit with all sorts of tools, home-ware, camping and surplus gear. It's nice to have a lot of space to spread out the surplus gear, a big change from the usual small units with everything crammed in. They also have a changing room which helps with Nato sized clothing.

The surplus clothing comes mainly from Britain, Germany and the Netherlands. Jackets, shirts, trousers, hats, pouches etc. The price is on most items, but not all.

What I picked up was:

Stuff sack for the British Army jungle sleeping bag - as new €5
    German Army combats (OG), Grade 1 - €10
    British Army 'Norgie' top, Grade 1 - €10
    German army poncho, Grade 2 - €15 (no leaks or cuts, just old)
    British Army goretex bivvy bag - Grade 1* €50

* now the British army OG bivvy bag used to be a bargain you could pick up for £20, but nowadays it's getting rarer and more expensive as stocks dry up. So when I picked one up that looked in good condition I found it hard to put it back :D. In the shop everything looked fine with the bag, but when I got it home I did discover a few small nicks in the cover that will need repair.

So the bivvy bag wasn't a bargain, but the rest I'm happy with. I'm not paying sterling prices with a euro credit card and I don't have any P&P charges either.

I spoke at some length with the guy behind the counter, a decent bloke and he threw in the stuff sack for free when I winched over the price on the bivvy bag.

It's worth a trip if you're in the area, but I wouldn't travel any more than an hour out of my way to stop there. Genuine surplus gear is a small market in Ireland and it's always good to support your local shop if you can.

Does it carry the british logo still??
    Need a few bits for hunting and wild camping

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Does it carry the british logo still??
    Need a few bits for hunting and wild camping

Didn't notice any, but I mainly checked the collar to see what the label said. There is some "military style" Chinese stuff mixed in with the surplus. But I seem to remember they had the normal camo british army jacket as well as the OG Dutch (German?) jacket too.

http://www.donedeal.ie/camping-for-sale/irish-dpm-85l-rucksack/9055044?offset=2

i bought an identical bag from the same seller a few weeks ago and now he has more in stock- cant go wrong for 20e //

he bought a job lot of these irish combat accessories made bags

is it really 85L+ in size, looks smaller in the picture?

Tabnabs wrote: »
    is it really 85L+ in size, looks smaller in the picture?

yea really are gigantic and apparently part of a trial run made for the IDF a few years ago when they were looking at modernising some of their kit apparently

http://www.donedeal.ie/camping-for-sale/irish-dpm-85l-rucksack/9055044?offset=2

i bought an identical bag from the same seller a few weeks ago and now he has more in stock- cant go wrong for 20e //

he bought a job lot of these irish combat accessories made bags

Is the weight correct??? Over 3 Kilo (6 1/2 pounds) seems a bit heavy without anything in it.

Is the weight correct??? Over 3 Kilo (6 1/2 pounds) seems a bit heavy without anything in it.

yea mine is just under 3kg but for the price i wasnt too worried:D

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

I've the Berghaus vulcan II 100l which is also a little over 3kg.
    It's on the heavy side , build for quality and a long life ,rather than lightness.

If the quality of the Irish dpm rucksack is near as good,20 euro looks a bargain at a fraction of the price.

http://www.simplyhike.co.uk/products/Berghaus/VulcanRucksack-Cedar.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

ShadowFox wrote: »
    Check out Tesco too I heard the cutlery set was 1.75 and the large camp stove gas cans were under 2 Euro

Camping gas reduced in Nenagh under €2.50 and gas cooking stove approx €8.00.

• Advertisement

Wasn't in Lidl today but from the motoring forum spotted they have a handy little torch on offer for €4.99. It looks very similar to one that normally sells for a tenner or more so might be worth checking out. I was thinking of getting one for reading maps.

went a bit crazy today bought 3 of those microfiber towels and a cd player with loads of gargets in lidl:p

then blew the rest of my pension on a shiney rifle scope and mounts :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Feck it if I put anything besides rice crackers in it I won't be able to lift it

then blew the rest of my pension on a shiney rifle scope and mounts :D

Ah come on ya tease, tell me more! What scope and mounts?? What rifle they going on to??

WP_20150402_21_06_10_Pro.jpg

i bought it from the shooting forum here:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057374738

Hawk Nite-Eye 3-9x50mm for sale. Glass perfect, body has a few wear marks but nothing that takes from the scope.
    Red or Green Illuminated Mildot reticle.

i got some sportsmatch 11 mm mounts for it- my rifle is a new cz455 .22lr varmaint heavy barrell thumbhole stock version- just waiting on the licence to come through so picking up a few bits and bobs needed for a first licence -

http://www.shoot.ie/shooting/cz-455-thumbhole.html

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thehippychippy

I bought one of these bags a while back, actually got two for a mate as well. They are a great bag, loads of room but with good winch straps and a long neck so you can carry less gear comfortable. The rocket pouches zip off the main bag and zip together to form a 24l day bag, the yokes are fixed on the pockets so you can't lose them. The stiching is great, all seams double stiched and and extra material stiched where the stress points are. All in all a great bag but for one thing. When I put the bag on, and have it comfortable on my shoulders, the belt is around my belly and the chest strap uncomfortable close to my neck. I'm 5'11" so not overly tall, perhaps the bags where designed for a shorter person? I didn't ask of there were long and short backs but for 20 euro, they're a great deal. I'll just use mine for canoeing rather the long hike camping.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Gooutdoors selling regatta fleeces. 2 for £10 with iscount card in uk. I got 4:)

Wasn't in Lidl today but from the motoring forum spotted they have a handy little torch on offer for €4.99. It looks very similar to one that normally sells for a tenner or more so might be worth checking out. I was thinking of getting one for reading maps.

Wasn't expecting too much of this torch so I was pleasantly surprised when I finally got one.

Seems ideal for what I wanted, reading maps in the car and for finding the stuff you always drop on the floor of the car when you need it most. The main light is from 12x 0.06 Watt LED's and is more than bright enough to read by, in fact you can easily read a map by the single 0.06 Watt front LED.

Build quality is reasonable and the unit seems robust enough to be left to rattle around in a cars glove box or rucksack. Not waterproof. The finish has a sort of rubbery feel and the switch has a positive action that would be difficult to switch on by mistake. With the batteries removed the weight in negligible.

In use it has a positional pen type clip which would allow you to attach it to clothing to work/read with both hands free and the clip also has a strong magnet which holds the torch well on car body work.

Batteries (it takes 3x AAA supplied) are easily changed via the bottom end cap which is held in place with a bayonet type fitting which may in the long term prove a weakness if dropped.

Not totally sure about running times but the 12 LED's are rated at 0.72 Watts as a unit which is much less than some of the cree LED's runing on AAA's which have 1-2 hour run times so I would hope for much longer than 1-2 hours. If restricted to the single LED it should run all night and some.

In Lidl today and spotted Finger Plasters (sensiplast brand) Stretchy or Waterproof box of 24 mixed for €1.99. 4 different shapes for going around fingers and knuckles. Very handy to have around when sawing or cutting anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

Pocket size folding stainless steel alcohol/wood stove. 10.27 euro including postage. Seems like a good price,just ordered one. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/9-8-11cm-Pocket-Size-Multi-Fuel-Stove-Stainless-Steel-Folding-Alcohol-Stove-Outdoor-Camping-Cooking/32290211767.html

Advertisement