Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bargain alerts

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Have a look at the fishing gloves aldi have at the moment. I bought a set this evening. There excellent for outdoor work as warerproof. The thumb and forefinger can be slipped out too for when u need to use them.

I keep them as a spare for working in the wet but when its not wet and cold I find them a bit sweaty to wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

my3cents wrote: »
    I keep them as a spare for working in the wet but when its not wet and cold I find them a bit sweaty to wear.

What do you wear everyday then?
    They were great this evening, it was minus two and i was out rooting at the tractor

What do you wear everyday then?
    They were great this evening, it was minus two and i was out rooting at the tractor

Two things I have loads of are gloves and woolly hats. I have a pair of each shoved in a pocket of every outdoor jacket a few spare plus work gloves. One of my favorite pairs for working in has a very heavy dipped rubber finish, can't explain why but they don't feel as sweaty to wear as the neoprene fishing gloves. It might be because the neoprene fishing gloves are a good fit where as the work gloves are much looser. The only problem is those rubber dipped gloves don't last more than a year before they go sticky and the rubber starts coming off. I'm not that keen on leather gloves as the work ones are not that comfortable.

I thought the fishing gloves in Aldi where a great idea when I bought them but just didn't find them comfortable to wear. Back in the Autumn Aldi did some Thinsulate gloves which were really good, comfortable and warm but not really work wear.

As a joke a neighbor who was a mad knitter knitted me a pair of fingerless gloves out of green garden string. The front and palms were string and the back was wool. Best pair of gloves I ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thehippychippy

I got a pair of framers gloves in mc quilluans a while back. The thumb, index and next finger are fingerless for nails, screws and the like. Great work gloves but also great for camping. Well made, leather, good padding and grips. Cost €25 but worth every penny. Have the same gloves by dewalt too. Got them free but they don't look anywhere near as cool!!

I got a pair of framers gloves in mc quilluans a while back. The thumb, index and next finger are fingerless for nails, screws and the like. Great work gloves but also great for camping. Well made, leather, good padding and grips. Cost €25 but worth every penny. Have the same gloves by dewalt too. Got them free but they don't look anywhere near as cool!!

stick up a pic mate, I used to buy something in mcquillans every friday during my apprenticeship

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

15 euro 65% off @ jdsports

Voltage Long Sleeve Top

€15.00

Get long-lasting comfort and dryness with this men's Voltage performance top from The North Face. Crafted with FlashDry technology, the tee helps to wick away sweat from the skin keeping you dry and comfortable.
    Material:
    -100% Polyester

http://www.jdsports.ie/048535/048535-voltage-long-sleeve-top

wolfeye wrote: »
    15 euro 65% off @ jdsports

Voltage Long Sleeve Top

€15.00

Get long-lasting comfort and dryness with this men's Voltage performance top from The North Face. Crafted with FlashDry technology, the tee helps to wick away sweat from the skin keeping you dry and comfortable.
    Material:
    -100% Polyester

http://www.jdsports.ie/048535/048535-voltage-long-sleeve-top

Says 25 on the website

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

Its 20 stg in the uk site.15 euro in the irish site.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thehippychippy

stick up a pic mate, I used to buy something in mcquillans every friday during my apprenticeship

Here ya go

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

to divert a bit, are there any alternatives to paracord that you'd suggest? It's not available everywhere.....apart from that, having made a few knick-knacks from it, I have no experience of using it in the field. is it still fit to be used after being bound up in a wristband or as a strap?

regards
    Stovepipe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Stovepipe wrote: »
    . is it still fit to be used after being bound up in a wristband or as a strap?

regards
    Stovepipe

yes thats the reason for making the wristbands, it allows you to carry a good lenght in only a few inches neatly held round your arm in case you need it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Stovepipe wrote: »
    to divert a bit, are there any alternatives to paracord that you'd suggest? It's not available everywhere.....apart from that, having made a few knick-knacks from it, I have no experience of using it in the field. is it still fit to be used after being bound up in a wristband or as a strap?

regards
    Stovepipe

Also have a look at dyneema cord. Far stronger than parachord and easily available online from sailing equipment suppliers. Any rope used for dinghy or yachts will be strong and non-stretch (especially when used for the rigging).

If you need a cheap item to bring your Amazon order up to the £25 needed for free delivery then these Water Purification tablets are a good price plus of course Fulfilled by Amazon so part qualifying for free delivery.

41gwwHur7NL._SY355_.jpg

Price: £4.95 for 100.

Forgot to say thats 2 packs of 50.

Army style woolly pulleys in Aldi masquerading as fishing jumpers. Can't find a link as I think they must have been last weeks offer but €16.99 each isn't a bad price, 50/50 wool/acrylic with elbow and shoulder patches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

Army style woolly pulleys in Aldi masquerading as fishing jumpers. Can't find a link as I think they must have been last weeks offer but €16.99 each isn't a bad price, 50/50 wool/acrylic with elbow and shoulder patches.

Seen them today. They also have a brown/green fleece for €20. Comfortable fit and quite warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

Picked one up on the way to work. will give it a test and review in the morning :)

djflawless wrote: »
    Picked one up on the way to work. will give it a test and review in the morning :)

Sorry ;)

I put one on outside the shop when I got back to the car to check the size and have been wearing it since - not in bed obviously :o

For the money good value and reasonably warm, the patches are some form of synthetic suede affect material. The genuine article has a much more ribbed knit these are a finer flatter rib. I have long arms and the X Large fits fine with enough materiel to turn the cuffs back and the body length (I'm 6'1") is also generous. The neck is open enough to get your hand in easy to a shirt top pocket. The "wool" is a 50/50 wool/acrylic mix which is a good trade off for warmth against durability and cost. It still should be hand washed or washed on a cool wool wash in a washing machine using a mild detergent because the wool will shrink if washed too hot. I mention washing because your average jumper nowadays doesn't have any wool in it and we are used to just chucking them in a washing machine without a second thought.

There was a choice of crew neck or a collard neck with a zip, I wear enough gear with collars which builds up around the neck to the extent I sometimes can't do the top button up on outer layer jackets so I went with crew neck.

Depending on what you want to use these for there is a trade off between weight and warmth. I have much heavier all wool jumpers that are warmer but they are much heavier and far more bulky. This Aldi "Fishing" jumper is the sort of jumper I'd wear backpacking because its on the lighter side while still providing warmth.

There were three sizes by chest measurement, Medium 38-40ins Large 42-44ins and X-Large 46-48ins and I'd recommend as this isn't a fashion item getting a size bigger than you need partly to allow room for thick shirts and extra garments underneath. I'm only a 42 chest but the x Large is a good fit and doesn't look big on me.

^^^^^^^
    Exactly what I was going to say to be honest ;)

I wore mine out shooting this morning.
    I always wear a hoody out under the shooting jumper/jacket.not going to harp on as *ahem* thats been done :)
    Good wearing jumper
    Zip pocket on arm seems a lot better than conventional Velcro.
    Flexible to move around in.can only see 1 hooked thread after pure hardship thru fences and ditches.
    Anyhoo.would highly recommend one to ye if ye get yer hands on yer size!

^^^^^^^
    Exactly what I was going to say to be honest ;)

I wore mine out shooting this morning.
    I always wear a hoody out under the shooting jumper/jacket.not going to harp on as *ahem* thats been done :)
    Good wearing jumper
    Zip pocket on arm seems a lot better than conventional Velcro.
    Flexible to move around in.can only see 1 hooked thread after pure hardship thru fences and ditches.
    Anyhoo.would highly recommend one to ye if ye get yer hands on yer size!

You have the version with zips in it. There are two versions (maybe more?) mine was the plain no zips crew neck one.

You have the version with zips in it. There are two versions (maybe more?) mine was the plain no zips crew neck one.

Now that I didn't know :)
    Mines crew neck aswel but the pocket on upper sleeve has zip instead of Velcro/button

• Advertisement

Now that I didn't know :)
    Mines crew neck aswel but the pocket on upper sleeve has zip instead of Velcro/button

So that means there are at least three versions, I didn't see the one with the pocket might have bought one if I had.

Its the same with the fishing gloves if you search through them you can find different combinations (about 4) of fingers that have bits that can be removed for working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

So that means there are at least three versions, I didn't see the one with the pocket might have bought one if I had.

Its the same with the fishing gloves if you search through them you can find different combinations (about 4) of fingers that have bits that can be removed for working.

The week before the fishing promo they had the green jumpers in the work wear section. I'd imagine ye have one of each. They still have both in my local store.

hexosan wrote: »
    The week before the fishing promo they had the green jumpers in the work wear section. I'd imagine ye have one of each. They still have both in my local store.

I think I took the only two X Large left with a crew neck so think along with a couple of good charity shop jumpers I got recently that's me sorted for a while.

Need some beer later so will take another look, I could always use a spare :o

Keep an eye out on the reduced section of Lidl they seem to have some sort of sale on atm and have a load of stuff with those 2, 5 and 10 stickers on them. Mostly rubbish but I found a couple of 5m x 4m "tarpaulins" for a fiver each so might be worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

aaakev wrote: »
    Saw this on BA and had to post it here. Less than €3 delivered for an led torch with a reported 500lm. I just ordered 2 through PayPal so if they don't arrive iv comeback

Use discount code b64c337de3

http://m.tmart.com/CREE-Q5-508-5W-500LM-100m-Range-Aviation-Aluminum-Alloy-Flashlight-Black_p190814.html

Just going back to this. They arrived today and I have to say im impressed! Iv only used them with an aa battery and not the 3.7v but even with the aa they are more powerful than any of the other small torches i have round the house on both spot and flood and the spot tightens to a very tight spot. Going to pick up some 3.7v batteries over the next few days and see how they fair then

Another Amazon.co.uk low cost item for anyone needing a small item to bring an order up to £25 for free postage Hultafors SK 203mm Safety Knife.

Lidl Thursday 19/02/15 Trek it out offer. Not a lot of interest but I'll be taking a look at the LED Headlamps just in case. There's also some handy binoculars which are OK for the money, some walky talkies no idea what they are like and some small rucksacks which might make good small Bug out Bags. Plus loads of cloths but past experience is Lidl clothes are nothing special.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Lidl currently have large bow saws for €5.99.

Another Amazon.co.uk low cost item for anyone needing a small item to bring an order up to £25 for free postage Hultafors SK 203mm Safety Knife.

Sorry to quote my own post but saves typing :)

Order with the Knife has just arrived and its well worth the money!

The only safety part of the knife is that there is no point but otherwise its just a good solid sharp carbon steel blade on a comfortable (large) plastic handle.

The plastic sheath is well fitted to the knife and the knife fits deeply in the sheath and clips in place making it difficult to loose. The sheath also makes it difficult to cut yourself when pulling the knife out.

The blade is only 2.5mm thick and if you look closely on the back edge you can see that edge isn't finished at all but the business side is quite sharp. Not a knife for splitting logs but its lightweight so you'd hardly know you were carrying it.

Overall length is 203mm and blade length is 86mm (3 3/8") max depth is 18mm. In sheath its 212mm

A couple of good reviews at Hennie Hays and a good suggestion - Use it for all the cutting tasks you wouldn't want to use an expensive blade for.

• Advertisement

Just to add to the above (too late to edit) the tang (part of blade in handle) goes halfway down into the handle so no fear of the blade coming loose - tested with a magnet.

Advertisement