Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The CIMA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭sallymomo

For the hard work that was obviously put in, Congratulations Aris on your incredible F1 result!
    You must have received a very high ranking for that?

Ger

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

sallymomo wrote: »
    For the hard work that was obviously put in, Congratulations Aris on your incredible F1 result!
    You must have received a very high ranking for that?

Ger

Thank you very much, mate.

I haven't heard anything regarding the rankings, but talking to my teacher at DBS (where I do classes), he thinks that I will probably be in the global top-20 and Ireland's top-5.
    Similar story with P1.

Apparently there are prizes for the highest ranking students, didn't know that, wouldn't mind it either :)

Anyway, next step for me now the managerial level.
    I will try to complete the level this year, actually would like to sit the case study in August.
    I willl see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Well done unfortunately the prize is only a certificate

kilburn wrote: »
    Well done unfortunately the prize is only a certificate

well, it isn't that important anyway.
    The main thing I wanted was 70+ marks for psychological reasons alone, you know, that it can be done.

Obviously the new exam format will be completely different, but it was a boost of confidence anyway.

Edit: speak of the devil-just got the letter of acknowledgement from CIMA. First in Ireland in F1, third in Ireland in P1. Happy days indeed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

Hi all,
    Has anyone got information on the recommended report format for the new T4 Case Study? Also, any changes of emphasis in the report or marking compared to previous?
    If anyone has any info from lecturers it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭sallymomo

Irish Aris wrote: »
    well, it isn't that important anyway.
    The main thing I wanted was 70+ marks for psychological reasons alone, you know, that it can be done.

Obviously the new exam format will be completely different, but it was a boost of confidence anyway.

Edit: speak of the devil-just got the letter of acknowledgement from CIMA. First in Ireland in F1, third in Ireland in P1. Happy days indeed!!!

Again, many congrats Aris, you must be thrilled! I'd say Gerry and Ian are too..

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Geraldo

Has anyone sat any of the new computer based exams so? Thinking of booking p2 or f2 for about a months time. Not sure if it's realistic though with the new 70% pass mark.

Geraldo wrote: »
    Has anyone sat any of the new computer based exams so? Thinking of booking p2 or f2 for about a months time. Not sure if it's realistic though with the new 70% pass mark.

Not yet. My plan is to sit them around April/May. I am starting classes in a couple of weeks and finish by end of March.
    As for being realistic? Well, I guess it is up to us to make it realistic.
    If you can prepare for them, go ahead. The only thing I would say is sit the exams a few weeks apart, so you can concentrate on one subject at a time.

Good luck with your exams! and let us know what you thought about them.

Not yet. My plan is to sit them around April/May. I am starting classes in a couple of weeks and finish by end of March.
    As for being realistic? Well, I guess it is up to us to make it realistic.
    If you can prepare for them, go ahead. The only thing I would say is sit the exams a few weeks apart, so you can concentrate on one subject at a time.

Good luck with your exams! and let us know what you thought about them.

Cheers, I have P2 booked for the 12th of February anyway. Fingers crossed now!

Cheers, I have P2 booked for the 12th of February anyway. Fingers crossed now!

Good luck, buddy!!! Hope you have a great start!!

• Advertisement

Are you guys still using old text books?

kilburn wrote: »
    Are you guys still using old text books?

No, using the new ones now.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Meursault

No, using the new ones now.

Same here but to be honest I don't see any differences?

Meursault wrote: »
    Same here but to be honest I don't see any differences?

in most cases, there aren't, there are a few movements between papers i.e. I am preparing for P2 and there are parts of P1 and E3 that have moved to P2.

It's mainly the change in the exams that drive the changes-even if th study texts are the same, we have to change the way we are studying now.

in most cases, there aren't, there are a few movements between papers i.e. I am preparing for P2 and there are parts of P1 and E3 that have moved to P2.

It's mainly the change in the exams that drive the changes-even if th study texts are the same, we have to change the way we are studying now.
    Those computer exams are bloody tough! You really need to be supremely confident in the syllabus before bothering. You don't get the exact result either at the end.

Those computer exams are bloody tough! You really need to be supremely confident in the syllabus before bothering. You don't get the exact result either at the end.

How did it go Geraldo? Did you pass?

From what I understand, on your CIMA profile, they will update some more details on how we did on each part of the paper, but I don't think they will give us the exact mark - which can be weird: how would I know if my fail was a marginal one or an epic one?? :)

How did it go Geraldo? Did you pass?

From what I understand, on your CIMA profile, they will update some more details on how we did on each part of the paper, but I don't think they will give us the exact mark - which can be weird: how would I know if my fail was a marginal one or an epic one?? :)

Booked my last exam for 14th Mar lads. E3. A bit worried now, having read the comments above!

I don't like the fact that multiple choice questions will have 3 correct answers,and you have to get all three to get no marks.

Booked my last exam for 14th Mar lads. E3. A bit worried now, having read the comments above!

I don't like the fact that multiple choice questions will have 3 correct answers,and you have to get all three to get no marks.

Failed. Is it true about not getting the exact result? I was really hoping to get that so I could gauge how it went. I say that because I haven't got a clue to be honest! There's a whole load of multiple options and they're the worst.
    Meursault, best of luck with the study. To be fair, the usual applies. Just know the whole syllabus because studying for banker questions is a thing of the past with the new exams. You really need to know the whole syllabus and to get 70 you need to know it pretty well too.
    Really wish I'd been able to get more done last year now!!

Failed. Is it true about not getting the exact result? I was really hoping to get that so I could gauge how it went. I say that because I haven't got a clue to be honest! There's a whole load of multiple options and they're the worst.
    Meursault, best of luck with the study. To be fair, the usual applies. Just know the whole syllabus because studying for banker questions is a thing of the past with the new exams. You really need to know the whole syllabus and to get 70 you need to know it pretty well too.
    Really wish I'd been able to get more done last year now!!

**** that's very worrying. Sorry to hear you didn't get it. Hopefully the experience will count the next time.

**** that's very worrying. Sorry to hear you didn't get it. Hopefully the experience will count the next time.

Cheers man. I'm sure if you get the head down you'll be grand. One tip, get yourself ready to sit the practice exam a week or so in advance at least. That'll give you a good heads up about how the exams go and leave you with time to brush up wherever necessary. Best of luck man!!!

• Advertisement

will keep that in mind. cheers

Anyone sitting any case studies ?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Crybabygeeks

Sat the strategic case study last week. Very strange - hard to know how I did.

Well done either way Cbg. You're nearly there. When you find out the result?

Sat the E3 exam on Saturday and the provisional result is a pass. I assume I have nothing to worry about in terms of the official result?

Also I was thinking of sitting the case study in May. How does it work? Do you have a period of a week where u can sit the exam any day?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Rusty Rothar

Same as, found it very difficult to get used to doing an exam on-line, time management was much tougher as well. My three questions were all about a merger, reckon I repeated stuff in each question

Same as, found it very difficult to get used to doing an exam on-line, time management was much tougher as well. My three questions were all about a merger, reckon I repeated stuff in each question

Did ye find it a lot more difficult than the exams lads? Did ye do any of the courses available or just plough through with no classes, etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Well done either way Cbg. You're nearly there. When you find out the result?

Sat the E3 exam on Saturday and the provisional result is a pass. I assume I have nothing to worry about in terms of the official result?

Also I was thinking of sitting the case study in May. How does it work? Do you have a period of a week where u can sit the exam any day?

how did you find the e3 questions? did they relate at all to the exam kit questions?

statss wrote: »
    how did you find the e3 questions? did they relate at all to the exam kit questions?

I did the BPP course for E3. I found their practice exam questions and the free Pearson VUE test pretty close to the mark alright.

I would say about 15-20% of the questions were totally unfamiliar to me though. Then again it wouldn't be CIMA is they didn't do this

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Rusty Rothar

Did ye find it a lot more difficult than the exams lads? Did ye do any of the courses available or just plough through with no classes, etc?

I did the course in DBS but didnt think it added much value, was only three weekends and they weren't too sure what it was going to be like either, the answer "I really dont know, you're the guinea pigs" was said a lot over those weekends!

Was tough getting used to a different format, I'd recommend knowing the pre seen inside out beforehand to save you having to refer back to it constantly.

And I know its a small thing, but it felt anti climactic afterwards, finishing on your own rather than with 100 or so people who just did the same exam as you

• Advertisement

That "guinea pigs" is heard a lot alright, I am doing classes at DBS too for the 3 management level papers and the lecturers try to guess what's gonna happen.
    In fairness to them, CIMA seems to be making the rules as they go and the info coming from them are not very clear.

Good luck with the results everybody!!

Advertisement