Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The CIMA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

tony1980 wrote: »
    Well lads, I had intended on starting my CIMA exams 4 years ago but a new job which was very stressful at the beginning and starting our family gave me the perfect excuse to put it off :pac:

I have now decided that I need a kick up the h**e to just get going!

I have to sit two certificate level exams first, Financial and Management Accounting. I heard that maybe a good month on studying both should be good enough for the exams if you have a good base already.

Has anything changed recently on how these exams are done?

Is there new course material I should be aware of and where is the best place to buy these?

Cheers for the tips lads :)

Hi Tony,
    finished the certificate level a few months ago.

The exams are still computer based and you can book them at your convenience in one of the official centers (Dublin, for example has 4 or 5 different options).
    It took me approximately a month to study each of them, but I wasn't in a hurry. I believe that it can be done quicker, especially if you have practical experience.
    I bought the books from Kaplan, not sure what other options there are (BPP maybe?)

Good luck with it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Geraldo

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Hi Tony,
    finished the certificate level a few months ago.

The exams are still computer based and you can book them at your convenience in one of the official centers (Dublin, for example has 4 or 5 different options).
    It took me approximately a month to study each of them, but I wasn't in a hurry. I believe that it can be done quicker, especially if you have practical experience.
    I bought the books from Kaplan, not sure what other options there are (BPP maybe?)

Good luck with it!!
    The cert exams can definitely be done quicker alright. I did them over a weeks study or so myself. But I wouldn't recommend this to be honest. Particularly if you're studying at home. The exams themselves can be tricky in the sense that you're either right or wrong, there's no marks for attempt. So they can easily trip you up but even more so it's good to get as strong a knowledge base as possible. My advice would be to take you're time if you can. In any case, the new syllabus next year should enable you to sit another exam a month rather than 2 or 3 at a time to try and get them done quick. I'd much prefer that myself!
    Either way, best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Meursault

Hi All, does anyone have any of the strategic level CIMA textbooks for sale?

I am based in Cork, so if you are interested in selling them let me know

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭grange mac

I'll have a look to see if I have any that may help you.

thanks again grange mac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Maka18

Hi All

based in cork just wondering does anyone have the

C01 – Fundamentals of Management Accounting
    C05 – Fundamentals of Ethics, Corporate Governance and Business Law

textbooks for sale? The publisher is Kaplan.

Any advice about these 2 exams would be appreciated also.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 PJP

Has anyone heard that Independent Colleges has/is being sold?

Good luck to all getting results today. I scraped P1 but narrowly missed out on E2. Ah well, August is only next month I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Crybabygeeks

Hi everyone. Best of luck to all getting results.

Anyone have any recommendations for good lecturers for Strategic level in Dublin? Particularly, F3 and P3? thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

Same, best of luck to everyone getting results today.

Got past E2 and P2 so strategy next but wont be about for the November exams so no exams till next May! Dunno if that's a good or a bad thing though since I'll have to do this new syllabus.

• Advertisement

Same, best of luck to everyone getting results today.

Got past E2 and P2 so strategy next but wont be about for the November exams so no exams till next May! Dunno if that's a good or a bad thing though since I'll have to do this new syllabus.

Congrats guys, I passed E2 also, so I am on to Strategic in November

I am hearing that the pass rate for the new syllabus is 70%!!!

Extra motivation (if I needed any) to try get as many as possible out of the way in November

Meursault wrote: »
    Congrats guys, I passed E2 also, so I am on to Strategic in November

I am hearing that the pass rate for the new syllabus is 70%!!!

Extra motivation (if I needed any) to try get as many as possible out of the way in November
    boo!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Passed E2 aswell, so I am due to sit Strategic Level in Nov 2014

However I don't think I can commit to studying 3 subjects at the same time properly, with my current work/life commitments. I was thinking therefore I'd sign up for 2 subjects (as I've always done) and made a stab at the 3rd via home study, (expecting to fail it). At least this way, at 1 Jan 2015, I'd (hopefully) only have 1 objective test and the 2015 strategic case study to complete.

Alternatively, I could just wait till 2015 and start the strategic level fresh under the new syllabus, doing 1 at a time. I reckon the new syllabus will be harder to pass though, so I'm not sure what the best approach to take it is.

What's everyone else's plan?

I'm going to try and get all strategic done this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭CassieManson

PJP wrote: »
    Has anyone heard that Independent Colleges has/is being sold?

Yes it has been sold..http://www.independent.ie/business/media/inm-sells-education-division-including-independent-colleges-30390044.html

Not sure what the impact is to courses, if any

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Mrs W

Hi I'm looking for books for C-05 if anyone has them? I'm in Dundalk but can travel!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ElkayIR

Hi,

I'm looking for study texts for CIMA C01 to C05 if anyone in or near Dublin has them for sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Was thinking of doing P2 and F2 in august and E2 in november. Just wanted to get an idea off people who have done these together as to the volume of work. I'm trying to motor on through the exams but it's complicated by baby number 3 due in november. Obviously study time will be less so hence 2 in august. Do people think it's feasible to get through these in a short space of time?

• Advertisement

Geraldo wrote: »
    Was thinking of doing P2 and F2 in august and E2 in november. Just wanted to get an idea off people who have done these together as to the volume of work. I'm trying to motor on through the exams but it's complicated by baby number 3 due in november. Obviously study time will be less so hence 2 in august. Do people think it's feasible to get through these in a short space of time?

Have you sat P2 and F2 already? I am in a similar position myself (2 kids) so I understand how little free time you have (plus the constant tiredness from early mornings/late nights!).

Maybe you should go for it, but you do risk failing both in august? its an awful lot of work to get through. but if you have sat these exams already (which i assume you would have, given that you are taking the extra sittings) you might manage it.

You'll be exhausted come December though!

I had paid to do them in May but didn't do them because I ended up changing jobs and found I couldn't focus at all. Yeah it's plenty of work alright but if I don't do them this year I'll be left with an extra case study in 2015. I figure that's something to be avoided!

Geraldo wrote: »
    I had paid to do them in May but didn't do them because I ended up changing jobs and found I couldn't focus at all. Yeah it's plenty of work alright but if I don't do them this year I'll be left with an extra case study in 2015. I figure that's something to be avoided!

thats true. its a lot of work but hopefully between aug and nov you will clear the three. best of luck

I also have cima books (F2, P2) for sale if anyone wants to buy them? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭sallymomo

Hi all
    I have both E1 & F1 books for sale, €60 euro for the lot.
    If you are interested PM me.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Rusty Rothar

E2, F1 & F2 books for sale. €20 each. You wont find better books anywhere else. (Disclaimer: unless you deal with someone else selling the same books.)

PM me if you're interested, I'm in the Dublin area but can also do Mayo this weekend due to my culchie roots.
    Cheers

Apparently the pass mark for the 2015 computer based exams is going to be 70% Blimey! That'll be rock hard!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Danae1

Hi there, does anyone on here still have books for E1 and F1 still for sale? Cheers for any info...

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Danae1

sallymomo wrote: »
    Hi all
    I have both E1 & F1 books for sale, €60 euro for the lot.
    If you are interested PM me.

Thanks!

Sallymomo are these still for sale? If so are you in kerry/cork/limerick areas by any chance? Which edition books (or pic of front?) are they please?

• Advertisement

Hi Danae 1

Iamin the Cork area, and have these books if you need them?To be honest, €10 each is fine.They are in perfect condition.

Advertisement