Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The CIMA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Crybabygeeks

I did a course and didnt find it hugely beneficial to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

Hey all,

Would love to know peoples reasons for doing CIMA over ACA or ACCA?
    Also is their anything you could not do after qualification, that ACA or ACCA accountant could?
    Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Meursault

I did the course in DBS but didnt think it added much value, was only three weekends and they weren't too sure what it was going to be like either, the answer "I really dont know, you're the guinea pigs" was said a lot over those weekends!

Was tough getting used to a different format, I'd recommend knowing the pre seen inside out beforehand to save you having to refer back to it constantly.

And I know its a small thing, but it felt anti climactic afterwards, finishing on your own rather than with 100 or so people who just did the same exam as you

That's what I'm worried about. How much could they possibly know, given the recent course change? Unless CIMA have given them a lot of details on what to expect from the exam

Hate the idea of doing this on computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭julyjane

MRTULES wrote: »
    Hey all,

Would love to know peoples reasons for doing CIMA over ACA or ACCA?
    Also is their anything you could not do after qualification, that ACA or ACCA accountant could?
    Thanks in advance.

In my own case, I started with a BA in Accounting (Waterford IT) that gave exemptions from all of the accountancy bodies. I just found myself more interested in Management Accounting and saw myself working in industry rather than practice.

I worked in a few different companies and it wasn't always a bed of roses either, I am working in the not for profit sector now and enjoy it more. I feel like CIMA taught me a lot that are also applicable to other sectors not just manufacturing/costing.

julyjane wrote: »
    In my own case, I started with a BA in Accounting (Waterford IT) that gave exemptions from all of the accountancy bodies. I just found myself more interested in Management Accounting and saw myself working in industry rather than practice.

I worked in a few different companies and it wasn't always a bed of roses either, I am working in the not for profit sector now and enjoy it more. I feel like CIMA taught me a lot that are also applicable to other sectors not just manufacturing/costing.

On a related topic, how transferable are these qualification to potential jobs in other fields? For example, making a transition to teaching, marketing, banking, financial services or whatever?

I have always worked in finance in industry. I can't see myself putting up with countless month ends for the rest of my life. It would be interesting to hear if any qualified CIMA posters here are in completely different lines of work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Just passed E3! I failed on the old syllabus, I was very worried about the new format and higher pass rate.

The new format does make you learn each chapter inside out, there's no bluffing anymore! So, it's probably a better form of testing. I don't see why they can't give you an exact result though!?

I'd agree with a previous poster about missing the buzz from a full UCD, there was something a bit epic about it! Where I did my exam was in a tiny room, on a really old computer and no smile from your man behind the counter.

Looking forward to getting stuck into the strategic case study now!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

hey guys, looking for a bit of advice.

Weighing up some options between a Masters (not in acc) and some CIMA modules, looking at DBS for the CIMA course and their students seem to do well each year, im assuming there's a few people on here who've attended, any feedback?

I'm still a bit confused by each CIMA site i look at,

Can i do E1 for example and then E2, or do i need to complete all the level ones before i go to level 2?

Also are there sample questions available online?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

hey guys, looking for a bit of advice.

Weighing up some options between a Masters (not in acc) and some CIMA modules, looking at DBS for the CIMA course and their students seem to do well each year, im assuming there's a few people on here who've attended, any feedback?

I'm still a bit confused by each CIMA site i look at,

Can i do E1 for example and then E2, or do i need to complete all the level ones before i go to level 2?

Also are there sample questions available online?

Hello there.
    with the new structure, you need to finish each level before you move to the next one.
    so it's E1-P1-F1 - when you pass all 3 you sit the case study for the level- when you pass the case study you move to the next level and it's the same process.
    There are sample questions online, not sure how big the sample is (haven't checked it myself), you can find some in the CIMA website and (possibly) at the Pearson Vue website (they are their exam partners).

I am doing classes at DBS. With the old syllabus, their pass rates were quite good (much better than the average pass rate) and this was down to their method-totally exam focused. Can't really comment on how things will be with the new syllabus, as these first few months is almost like an experiment. I will say that I am generally happy with how they do the classes now, but have to wait until the exams to see how this will play out.
    A good option for classes, I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Irish Aris wrote: »
    at the Pearson Vue website (they are their exam partners).

pearson vue host a sample exam for each subject - the full 60 questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Rusty Rothar

Best of luck to all getting results today

• Advertisement

passed strategic case study! Delighted.

well done Crybabygeeks! going to sit the May 2015 strategic case study. how did you find it? I hear it it is weighted heavily towards E3 - is this true?

if you have any advice at all, that would be great. i am doing the live online classes with Kaplan and apparently the exams and exam markings are a total disaster for the new syllabus. the tutors are finding it very difficult to get anything out of CIMA in terms of how they mark the papers and the major reasons for failing. all of which makes me slightly nervous for May

anyway, well done again. at least you're finally done! get back to me if you can think of any tips at all. cheers

Congrats, passed this as well on Tuesday, very surprised, thought I made a mess of the exam

Meursault wrote: »
    well done Crybabygeeks! going to sit the May 2015 strategic case study. how did you find it? I hear it it is weighted heavily towards E3 - is this true?

if you have any advice at all, that would be great. i am doing the live online classes with Kaplan and apparently the exams and exam markings are a total disaster for the new syllabus. the tutors are finding it very difficult to get anything out of CIMA in terms of how they mark the papers and the major reasons for failing. all of which makes me slightly nervous for May

anyway, well done again. at least you're finally done! get back to me if you can think of any tips at all. cheers

Hi Meursault,

I studied through DBS for this and it was the same situation, they didnt really have any idea how it would go. It was very heavily weighted towards E3 though, in the exam I didnt have to do any calculations.

I reckon that they are still finding their feet with the exam so its difficult to gauge, just be aware that they are looking for a decent amount of real world examples as back up to answers so try to quote stuff if you can. We were recommended to read plenty of the FT and Telegraph in the few weeks coming up to the exam and the feedback i've got since is I scored highly in this.

In the exam itself I honestly thought I had done well on Q1 and made a total mess of 2 & 3, was convinced I had failed so was very surprised I passed, and got a good mark which was more surprising. So no matter how its going on the day just stick with it.

Be prepared for a weird feeling afterwards though, very different to doing this in an exam hall with a couple of hundred others doing the same exam so you have no one to do a post mortem with afterwards.

Best of luck with it.

RR

Hi Meursault,

I studied through DBS for this and it was the same situation, they didnt really have any idea how it would go. It was very heavily weighted towards E3 though, in the exam I didnt have to do any calculations.

I reckon that they are still finding their feet with the exam so its difficult to gauge, just be aware that they are looking for a decent amount of real world examples as back up to answers so try to quote stuff if you can. We were recommended to read plenty of the FT and Telegraph in the few weeks coming up to the exam and the feedback i've got since is I scored highly in this.

In the exam itself I honestly thought I had done well on Q1 and made a total mess of 2 & 3, was convinced I had failed so was very surprised I passed, and got a good mark which was more surprising. So no matter how its going on the day just stick with it.

Be prepared for a weird feeling afterwards though, very different to doing this in an exam hall with a couple of hundred others doing the same exam so you have no one to do a post mortem with afterwards.

Best of luck with it.

RR

Thanks for the advice RR.

i must start looking at the FT, etc, so.

Yeah i sat my last strategic exam under the new format and it was strange alright.

Weird that there was no numbers/calcs to do. Not to second guess CIMA but i wonder will they do the same again? Calcs could potentially be a nightmare on computer.

Anyway, well done, you are finally finished!! Must be a great feeling

any idea of the pass rates for March or is it too early yet to know?

Weird that there was no numbers/calcs to do. Not to second guess CIMA but i wonder will they do the same again? Calcs could potentially be a nightmare on computer.

Anyway, well done, you are finally finished!! Must be a great feeling

any idea of the pass rates for March or is it too early yet to know?

Thanks, ya delighted to have all that over (still have to submit my practical experience essay though :eek:)

We were told you were unlikely to get any complex calc questions, so it would probably be just some ratio analysis. This was partially due to the fact you wont be allowed to use your own calculator going forward, you will have to rely on the one they provide there.

No idea what the pass rates were, interested to see though, I dont think I've been as unsure about an exam result before so would be interesting to see what the overall was.

I reckon there was a much smaller number doing these in March than normal so maybe the "bell curve" made a bigger difference

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Jotiz

Hi guys. I just got exemptions from the cert level and hoping to start the first professional level. Can't afford tuition for classes as of now, so planning to study alone at home and hope to pass. Is anyone doing this too? I'm hoping together a study buddy based in Dublin.

Also, which study materials would you recommend? If anyone has the new syllabus study materials for P1, E1 & F1, and has no need for them, I'd be happy to buy them at a reasonable price.

And since the new syllabus has only started and is at its experimental stage, do you think now is a good time to attempt cima exams for the first time and hope to pass? I hope to attempt all 3 exams between now and Oct, 2015 and possible do the November, 2015 ICS if all goes well.

Thanks for your replies:-)

Hey! I think it's more heavily weighted towards e3 in terms of the concept of e3 - the exam is all about making strategic decisions and having convicttion to stand over them on the day. One piece of advice id give is don't Waste time on calcs - we were told min calcs would be required and I didn't use my calacator once in the exam!! Also another thing is to really think as the finance manager and tailor your answer for that. I kept thinking - what would I do? What impact would this have on my colleagues customers shareholders etc. and just reference that thinking in the exam! Display an awareness of the impact of your decisions/recommdation and that'll bring u a long way.

Any other questions just PM me... Happy to help if I can. Best of luck - almost there :)

Jotiz wrote: »
    Hi guys. I just got exemptions from the cert level and hoping to start the first professional level. Can't afford tuition for classes as of now, so planning to study alone at home and hope to pass. Is anyone doing this too? I'm hoping together a study buddy based in Dublin.

Also, which study materials would you recommend? If anyone has the new syllabus study materials for P1, E1 & F1, and has no need for them, I'd be happy to buy them at a reasonable price.

And since the new syllabus has only started and is at its experimental stage, do you think now is a good time to attempt cima exams for the first time and hope to pass? I hope to attempt all 3 exams between now and Oct, 2015 and possible do the November, 2015 ICS if all goes well.

Thanks for your replies:-)

Hey,

I did the cert level exams over the latter half of last year and recently passed F1.

I did the cert levels using kaplan books only.
    I signed up to BPP online for F1 and ended up principally using the book they supplied. They had access to online exams and waymarkers which were useful and also had 3 'focus' sessions which were v.useful. I didn't have any success with the routine lectures which were available.

I signed up for Cimastudy for E1. I have given up on it and bought the book.

In terms of 'hoping' to pass, by rights they have established a question bank and each exam is randomly generated within defined parameters. That being the case the exams shouldn't have easy marking built into them. Your timelines seem achievable, they mirror my own. But I've just had a 'soft' month and am suddenly pushed for my august ICS (with E1, and P1 still to do).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Hi, has anyone done the SCS this week? How'd it go?

• Advertisement

just sat the SCS today

I found sitting the exam on computer pretty tough, to be honest. I was constantly clicking back to the previous screens to look at the questions again, so I definitely was not taking in the questions as quickly as i would have, on the traditional format

also, it is strange sitting it in those Pearson centres.

the questions themselves were reasonable, in fairness, but 60% is a tall order (for me at least), given that all my previous results were all in around the 53% mark.

it is impossible for me to say at this moment whether i have a chance of passing. i can barely remember some of the questions. maybe it will come back to me tomorrow when i have a had a good nights sleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Geraldo

My two cents on the new syllabus. First off, if you're the type to gloss over a course and then waffle through on the day then you'll get nowhere with these exams. Take it from one who usually does that.
    The material is not tricky but as we all know, it has enough to catch you out if you're unprepared.
    If you're a home study person (like me), the only option is to know the text inside out and be very comfortable with all sections. Also, sit the practice exam. The real ones differ a bit from the cima books so best not to find that out on the day.
    In short, very few people will fly through these doing home study. They're of course do-able but they require doing things the long way. But hey, it'll be worth it right???

Geraldo wrote: »
    My two cents on the new syllabus. First off, if you're the type to gloss over a course and then waffle through on the day then you'll get nowhere with these exams. Take it from one who usually does that.
    The material is not tricky but as we all know, it has enough to catch you out if you're unprepared.
    If you're a home study person (like me), the only option is to know the text inside out and be very comfortable with all sections. Also, sit the practice exam. The real ones differ a bit from the cima books so best not to find that out on the day.
    In short, very few people will fly through these doing home study. They're of course do-able but they require doing things the long way. But hey, it'll be worth it right???

I'm waiting for the case study to prove this to me. I've done E1 & F1 at home and struggled with sections of F1 in particular. P1 now is the same, text is tough, questions which follow less so. The MCQ nature, despite my 'waffley' nature has been ok so far. I'm concerned that the broader inspection of the case study and the need to generate the concepts rather than answer a specific question in context is going to prove problematic.

Which presumably is the point of how it has been set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 littlepudding

uberwolf wrote: »
    I'm waiting for the case study to prove this to me. I've done E1 & F1 at home and struggled with sections of F1 in particular. P1 now is the same, text is tough, questions which follow less so. The MCQ nature, despite my 'waffley' nature has been ok so far. I'm concerned that the broader inspection of the case study and the need to generate the concepts rather than answer a specific question in context is going to prove problematic.

Which presumably is the point of how it has been set up.

Hi, I am going to start studying E1 and F1 at home too, I was wondering which books did you use? Because I am trying to decided to get the Kaplan ones or BPP ones.

Thanks!

Used Kaplan for the Certificate & BPP for the Operational level ones. Moved to BPP only because I signed up for their online classroom, the price of which included books.

HI All

did anyone get results this morning? I managed to pass the Strategic Case Study, so I am finally finished, thank God.

best of luck to any of you expecting results today

Also, if anyone is interested, I am selling my text books from the Strategic level and the case study - both for the new syllabus. If anyone is interested PM me

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 littlepudding

uberwolf wrote: »
    Used Kaplan for the Certificate & BPP for the Operational level ones. Moved to BPP only because I signed up for their online classroom, the price of which included books.

Thanks for your help! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

I am sitting the operational level case study on Friday, has anyone done this? Any tips? Haven't done a case study before, passed E1 F1 and P1 easily enough so should have the subject knowledge ok

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Have done any course or going it alone?

There are lots of analysis videos on YouTube

• Advertisement

I'm meant to be sitting it but won't be.

Advertisement