Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Other Half"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

The other half of the arguement could disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

eviltwin wrote: »
    Could be worse OP. They could use 'significant other'.
    Omackeral wrote: »
    Or 'hubby'.

Worse still, when referring to them, incorporating their username into it. Myself and Mrs.eviltwin were out last weekend. Die!!!
    Or the one those desperate housewives use on their online forums, 'my DH'? It stands for Dear Husband.

They also have DS (dear son), DD (dear daughter).

Some sociologists have studied this, and they think it's a way of allowing stay-at-home women to criticise their families in public whilst maintaining a kind, maternal self-image. It's a bit sad really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

I had a friend who used to refer to his wife as the auld cu*t. It was not far off the truth but still objectionable. Strangely enough, they are no longer together and he turned into an auld boll1x.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Red21

OU812 wrote: »
    Mmmmm.... I don't know.. you do come off as a little bitter... to seems to bother you because nobody refers to you in that way. It's probably about as far from the truth as possible, but that's the way you come off.

You started the thread about how much you hate it, and in the same post, call out that you're single & it's your choice... that smacks of being bitter.
    Was it the same person who wrote both paragraphs of this post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Doesn't bother me.
    OH is quick to type on boards. Also, I'm with mine too long to call him my "boyfriend", partner feels like it's a business arrangement, and we're not married so he's not my husband. There you have it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

That's how your other half referred to you op is that why you dumped his a##.

Suppose guys say it more as women can be controlling and of course men also.

I for 1 would not go out of my way to upset the oh because the oh would go mental all together and never have I referred to her as my oh so maybe my oh will not hate me for not calling her my oh.

Wow glad got oh out of my system.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BrowmThomas

OU812 wrote: »
    Mmmmm.... I don't know.. you do come off as a little bitter... to seems to bother you because nobody refers to you in that way. It's probably about as far from the truth as possible, but that's the way you come off.

You started the thread about how much you hate it, and in the same post, call out that you're single & it's your choice... that smacks of being bitter.

Definitely not bitter, I ended a relationship that wasn't going to work. No big deal, we will still talk.
    I would NEVER let a guy call me his "other half", I have always been referred to as girlfriend or partner for long relationships.
    I really didn't mean it to come across that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Zippie84

I see it a lot here and also on certain social media sites where people call the person they are in a relationship with their "other half".
    Anybody else HATE it?? I think it is a bit desperate if I'm totally honest. We are all individuals, I don't get why someone feels the need to use it.
    Recently single (my choice) but if I had been with him for 30 years, I would never, ever refer to him as my "other half"!

Detest it. Never had an 'other half' and never will have.

I am a full and complete person in my own right, and I believe it would say a lot about the type of person I am if I was to call another person my 'other half'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

buried wrote: »
    "Other half" to me means the Half a yoke I'm about to take

Pffft half a yoke..Crystal meth is where its at,I dunno whats in it,but by jaysus I can't stop f"#kin smokin it :pac:
    I can't figure out how people can be annoyed about something as trivial. I think its a kinda nice way to describe your partner.I think the op is only acting the bollix to be honest. I've noticed over the years that all the trolls,p1sstakers cranks and nutters seem to be much more abundant on Sundays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

It's irritating but only mildly. It's not something I'd get annoyed about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Online OH doesn't bother me personally as it's shorthand for your partner. Hubby does me head in a bit.

It's hard to choose a name to refer your partner to without coming across as a teensy bit smug, even if that wasn't your intention. I like, "me fella" as boyfriend sounds ridiculous for a grown man of 45. Partner sounds too formal and stiff. It's a toughy.

OP is not bitter for having the audacity to have an opinion as a single person . The idea that all single people are bitter for simply having an opinion on aspects of relationships is stupid - people who come out with that ****e come off really snidey imo and I'd rather be bitter than a snide (well, I wouldn't want to be either but you get my point).

That's how your other half referred to you op is that why you dumped his a##.

Ha, ha, ha. He knew better :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Online OH doesn't bother me personally as it's shorthand for your partner. Hubby does me head in a bit.

It's hard to choose a name to refer your partner to without coming across as a teensy bit smug, even if that wasn't your intention. I like, "me fella" as boyfriend sounds ridiculous for a grown man of 45. Partner sounds too formal and stiff. It's a toughy.

OP is not bitter for having the audacity to have an opinion as a single person . The idea that all single people are bitter for simply having an opinion on aspects of relationships is stupid - people who come out with that ****e come off really snidey imo and I'd rather be bitter than a snide.

For me other half doesn't tick the trivial annoyance box. But himself/herself or hubby are right up there on the TA list

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

eternal wrote: »
    Couldn't give a hair off a donkey's ass about OHs. You're either getting ridden or you're bitter.

You said what we're all thinking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Baby Jane

You said what we're all thinking
    Not me. The "bitter" thing here (not necessarily in other cases) seems a rather mean-spirited way of shutting down opinion.

.I think the op is only acting the bollix to be honest. I've noticed over the years that all the trolls,p1sstakers cranks and nutters seem to be much more abundant on Sundays[/QUOTE]

No need for the bad language thanks.
    Last time I looked, I was allowed to express an opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I say other oh because he's the other half of the couple I'm referring to in a post or conversation. He's not the other half of me, although why anyone would see that as something to be narked over just smacks of political correctness gone mad. Who actually cares, like?

Boyfriend sounds teenagerish (I'm almost 40), partner sounds too formal and we're not married, so what is the correct term to use so as not to cause offence to those people who give a shit about such utterly trivial things?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Doesn't bother me.
    OH is quick to type on boards. Also, I'm with mine too long to call him my "boyfriend", partner feels like it's a business arrangement, and we're not married so he's not my husband. There you have it.

But if you're not married, he is your boyfriend or partner. I fail to see how 'other half' is in any way better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Baby Jane

Matter of opinion on how "partner" sounds I suppose. I think it sounds grand. Does exactly what it says on the tin.

Zippie84 wrote: »
    Detest it. Never had an 'other half' and never will have.

I am a full and complete person in my own right, and I believe it would say a lot about the type of person I am if I was to call another person my 'other half'.

Something a tad co-dependent about it. At least it feels that way for me. Like said, I think I've used it a few times on here out of convention. No more!

I like catallus's post, a couple makes 200%, not 100%. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Baby Jane wrote: »
    Matter of opinion on how "partner" sounds I suppose. I think it sounds grand. Does exactly what it says on the tin.

That sounds very business like to me.

I've decided from now on, I'll just refer to him as my baby daddy.

I like, "me fella" as boyfriend sounds ridiculous for a grown man of 45.

I'll still say "me fella" when my tits are my insoles. So, in about five years or so. :p

OP is not bitter for having the audacity to have an opinion as a single person . The idea that all single people are bitter for simply having an opinion on aspects of relationships is stupid - people who come out with that ****e come off really snidey imo and I'd rather be bitter than a snide (well, I wouldn't want to be either but you get my point).

Especially when the comments about "all the bitterness" come in the third post of the thread. :confused:

And it's not like everyone saying they're not keen on it is single, I'm in a relationship and am having a good ol' bitch about it. :pac:

Thanks Tarzana2, I didn't use it when I was in a long term relationship either!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Anybody else HATE it?? I think it is a bit desperate if I'm totally honest. We are all individuals, I don't get why someone feels the need to use it.
    Recently single (my choice) but if I had been with him for 30 years, I would never, ever refer to him as my "other half"!
    So what did you "feel the need" to call "him"? maybe some people will consider it desperate too.

In the media they might want to avoid calling them boyfriend or girlfriend as some can take offence at that.

I say boyfriend or me fella.

Me fella says girlfriend or the burd.

Burd and fella are our light-hearted monikers. :pac:

rubadub wrote: »
    So what did you "feel the need" to call "him"? maybe some people will consider it desperate too.

In the media they might want to avoid calling them boyfriend or girlfriend as some can take offence at that.

Guy I'm not living with is a boyfriend, guy I lived with was my partner and if I was to marry, he would be my husband.

I'm also quite partial to my "Mr Luvaman" (shabba!) or "Ma Latin-luva" if I'm feeling particularly frisky.

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Especially when the comments about "all the bitterness" come in the third post of the thread. :confused:

And it's not like everyone saying they're not keen on it is single, I'm in a relationship and am having a good ol' bitch about it. :pac:

No it's fine for you to comment, you see. You can't POSSIBLY be bitter and be in a relationship. No sir.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Zippie84

Made similar comments on my feelings on it a while back on the 'How often do you fight with your other half?' thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=94344979

Advertisement