Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Other Half"

Options
  • 08-03-2015 3:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

I see it a lot here and also on certain social media sites where people call the person they are in a relationship with their "other half".
    Anybody else HATE it?? I think it is a bit desperate if I'm totally honest. We are all individuals, I don't get why someone feels the need to use it.
    Recently single (my choice) but if I had been with him for 30 years, I would never, ever refer to him as my "other half"!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 491 ✭✭Dozer Dave

Its a trivial annoyance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

The bitterness in this thread is awfully high :(

U ok Hun?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭calanus

People Think A RelationShip Makes You Whole, That It's Two 50%'s Coming Together To Make 100% When It Should Be Two 100%'s Making 200%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

To the Internet it's Probably discrimination to Siamese twins !!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BrowmThomas

No bitterness. Being single was my decision and I'm happy with that. Just a term I don't get.
    True Calanus :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭buried

"Other half" to me means the Half a yoke I'm about to take

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

What is going on? Has AH suddenly become a manual to political correctness?

I sometimes say "my other half", but I still know I'm an individual. It's just a casual and light-hearted way of pointing out that you make the decisions of your household jointly with another person.

jesus christ. Is this really the kind of thing people are worried about?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭buried

conorh91 wrote: »
    What is going on? Has AH suddenly become a manual to political correctness?

I sometimes say "my other half", but I still know I'm an individual. It's just a casual and light-hearted way of pointing out that you make the decisions of your household jointly with another person.

jesus christ. Is this really the kind of thing people are worried about?

Probably. There's another thread up in here filled with people worrying about other folk that are drinking beverages that don't advertise in the champions league or the heineken cup

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

You are entitled to an opinion as I am.
    Nothing to do with political correctness, just saying it is a term I personally hate and wondered if others did too.
    It is something I have noticed more and more.
    I lived with an ex boyfriend for a few years and he was that, a boyfriend. We shared lots and split things equally but as a couple.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Couldn't give a hair off a donkey's ass about OHs. You're either getting ridden or you're bitter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭SoftMicro

I find people that refer to their 'other half' as kind of under valuing themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Best course of action is to refer to yourselves always as 'we', a bit like the Borg.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

I was going to go to Sebenhams and buy my OH a hanky but I thought Browm Thomas would have nicer ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

[QUOTE=BrowmThomas;94591737Anybody else HATE it?? [/QUOTE]
    No.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

People use OH as shorthand for partner on the internet, I've never heard anyone say it in real life.

Partner is easier than gf/bf/wife/husband/personI'mseeing so there's no specific label on it.

But why type partner when you could use OH?

Glad you realised the name is taking the p eternal!
    No offence Littlekittylou, agree to disagree.

I have heard lots of people use it in person aswell as on Internet.
    Just something that makes me roll my eyes when I hear it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

The bitterness in this thread is awfully high :(

Yours was only the third post. :confused:

I've used it a few times on boards, I think, out of convention but yeah, I don't like it either, OP. It's a bit needy. I usually use 'BF'.

But why type partner when you could use OH?

Because it takes probably less than a second more to type the longer version? I've heard tonnes of people use 'other half' in real life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Hate is a very smelly word.

• Advertisement

eternal wrote: »
    I despise OP. Everyone should type out: the person who posted the original post that created the thread that I refer to.

It being an acronym isn't the point. The long version was brought up also and criticised. But I'm sure you know this. Well, I hope you do anyway. Otherwise ----> :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

I honestly couldn't care less, i usually see it used in a jokingly way.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Could be worse OP. They could use 'significant other'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Interesting that you needed to point out that it was your choice to be single...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,726 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Polo necks are gay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Davidius wrote: »
    Best course of action is to refer to yourselves always as 'we', a bit like the Borg.

Yeah, but which one is one of two?

OU812 wrote: »
    Interesting that you needed to point out that it was your choice to be single...

I was called bitter earlier.
    Just clarifying why I'm not.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

eviltwin wrote: »
    Could be worse OP. They could use 'significant other'.

Or 'hubby'.

Worse still, when referring to them, incorporating their username into it. Myself and Mrs.eviltwin were out last weekend. Die!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

I was called bitter earlier.
    Just clarifying why I'm not.

Mmmmm.... I don't know.. you do come off as a little bitter... to seems to bother you because nobody refers to you in that way. It's probably about as far from the truth as possible, but that's the way you come off.

You started the thread about how much you hate it, and in the same post, call out that you're single & it's your choice... that smacks of being bitter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Red21

I think it's used when other words may misrepresent someone, say you and your "other half " were in their mid fifties and only just got together you'd be slow to say BF/GF as it might give the wrong idea or say you were in your early 20's had been with someone for a year and are now married, you'd be slow to use wife/husband. Partner suggests long term but not married with the possibility of kids.
    Maybe i'll warm to it but I hate using "my wife" it's kinda got a ball&chain ring to it.

Advertisement