Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Other Half"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Baby Jane

I think it's a cultural phenomenon where people just want to pretend they are young forever, as if there is something wrong with being middle aged or old.
    There's the other extreme too of people saying/acting as if they're getting old when they're 20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Zippie84

Baby Jane wrote: »
    There's the other extreme too of people saying/acting as if they're getting old when they're 20.

Or 10 :D

(It happens unfortunately.)

eternal wrote: »
    Which was in reply to my post. Jesus I can't keep up.

Cool, I missed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

fergus1001 wrote: »
    What's half the average life expectancy for ireland there lies your answer

Your can say your 80 and middle aged but it don't mean **** time waits for no man or woman

I think the average is 78 for men and 82 for women so middle age would be 39 and 41 respectively

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I don't mind OH too much, I use it the odd time. I don't know what else to say really. I feel a bit too old to be saying boyfriend.

It's the DD, DS etc that does my head in!

• Advertisement

Lia_lia wrote: »
    I don't mind OH too much, I use it the odd time. It's the DD, DS etc that does my head in!

thankfully never came across it once anywhere except on this thread. do people actually say these things in conversations with others?

Zippie84 wrote: »
    thankfully never came across it once anywhere except on this thread. do people actually say these things in conversations with others?
    It's a "mums" discussion forums thing - to prefix son, daughter, husband, partner with "Darling" (because that's how we all talk naturally) and then abbreviate it.

Baby Jane wrote: »
    It's a "mums" discussion forums thing - to prefix son, daughter, husband, partner with "Darling" (because that's how we all talk naturally) and then abbreviate it.

Cool, so still online acronyms, as opposed to things people say as such.

While I'm unlikely to ever say it, at least darling daughter (if I had one) would be more factually accurate than other half :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

I think the average is 78 for men and 82 for women so middle age would be 39 and 41 respectively

Sorry Harry and others, Middle age is not a point in time, it is a period of time.
    If the starting point is 39, you are living to 117. Personally, i have just entered middle age, hence i will live to 144.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Because it takes probably less than a second more to type the longer version? I've heard tonnes of people use 'other half' in real life.

To satisfy you is it?

People can type the way they like.

Well you must be moving in circles completely different to mine!

• Advertisement

Well, according to the collins dictionary, middle age is 'the period of life between youth and old age, usually (in man) considered to occur approximately between the ages of 40 and 60'

http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/middle-age

Sounds reasonable.

Wikipedia mentions: 'various attempts have been made to define this age, which is around the third quarter of the average life span of human beings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_age#cite_note-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

To satisfy you is it?

People can type the way they like.

No shít. :pac:

Of course people can type the way they like.

And other can not like it. :)

No shít. :pac:

Of course people can type the way they like.

And other can not like it. :)

Thanks for clearing that one up honey.

I see your :) and I raise you ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I don't get the hate for it
    Other half of the relationship like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

OP keeps pointing out she's single & "my choice" ~ me thinks the lady doth protests too much ;)

You've been dumped OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Thanks for clearing that one up honey.

I see your :) and I raise you ;)

You SUCK at that.

LOVE when people roll out the passive-aggressive terms of endearment, it means a nerve has well and truly been hit. :pac: :D

You SUCK at that.

LOVE when people roll out the passive-aggressive terms of endearment, it means a nerve has well and truly been hit. :pac: :D

Okay :)

Sweetheart :)

:)

OP keeps pointing out she's single & "my choice" ~ me thinks the lady doth protests too much ;)

You've been dumped OP?
    Maybe, but I think her defences are up a bit too, due to other people calling her bitter, barely at the start of the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BrowmThomas

You've been dumped OP?

No. I don't see the point staying in a relationship that you know won't work out longterm. I am comfortable being on my own and independent enough to be on my own.
    Just answering other posters who said I was bitter. Again, it was my choice. We are both adult enough not to be bitter.

No. I don't see the point staying in a relationship that you know won't work out longterm. I am comfortable being on my own and independent enough to be on my own.
    Just answering other posters who said I was bitter. Again, it was my choice. We are both adult enough not to be bitter.

Personally I don't even quite understand how people make the connection between thinking that someone's opinion on a term that people use to refer to the other person in their relationship if / when they are in one, to thinking the person be single and / or dumped?

Surely people even if they are in a relationship / not dumped can still have opinions on stuff... you know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

(quote="Germany Engineering;94600932"]So middle age only lasts one year. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Yes,exactly a year.Not a day more nor a day less :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    This thread is bit of a free for all,but nine pages in and nobody has mentioned travellers so f*%k it I'll get the ball rolling.Life expectancy for a male traveller is a mere 52 years, his other half will fare slightly better and will live until the ripe old age of 56.So,if we apply the logic of some posters above and divide life into three equal time periods with the second period being middle age,then a traveller boy is essentially middle aged while still legally a child :confused:

(quote="Germany Engineering;94600932"]So middle age only lasts one year. :rolleyes:

Yes,exactly a year.Not a day more nor a day less :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    This thread is bit of a free for all,but nine pages in and nobody has mentioned travellers so f*%k it I'll get the ball rolling.Life expectancy for a male traveller is a mere 52 years, his other half will fare slightly better and will live until the ripe old age of 56.So,if we apply the logic of some posters above and divide life into three equal time periods with the second period being middle age,then a traveller boy is essentially middle aged while still legally a child :confused:[/QUOTE]

oh crap, you just reminded me that serious mental illness reduces life expectancy by 10 to 20 years, so yup... despite just being 31.... I'm probably middle aged after all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Doesn't bother me as much as that "bae" nonsense,sounds like a word teenagers from Beverly hills would use

Zippie84 wrote: »
    Personally I don't even quite understand how people make the connection between thinking that someone's opinion on a term that people use to refer to the other person in their relationship if / when they are in one, to thinking the person be single and / or dumped?

Surely people even if they are in a relationship / not dumped can still have opinions on stuff... you know?

Seems not :-)

Personally when I am single or in a relationship, I still hate the term "other half". That was the point of the thread. I wasn't judging anyone who is or is not in a relationship, just hear a lot of people saying it recently and seeing it more on threads and I wondered was I the only one who thinks like that.

Seems not :-)

Personally when I am single or in a relationship, I still hate the term "other half". That was the point of the thread. I wasn't judging anyone who is or is not in a relationship, just hear a lot of people saying it recently and seeing it more on threads and I wondered was I the only one who thinks like that.

Aw I got that. As did many others.

Just don't who don't make the connection. Whether some people are just small minded and making assumptions, some people are just on the wind-up and having the craic... or whatever... I really don't know :)

Thanks Zippie84

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

The classical expression is "my better half". Personally I prefer The War Office, The Loyal Opposition, or The Person Who Not Only Makes My Day, But My Hole Weak.

Something that I'm not sure had been mentioned before, but... does anyone interpret 'my other half' as that single people, in that they are lacking their other half, are somehow incomplete?

I don't think I have thought of it that way at any point in reading this thread, but am almost certain that I've thought of it that way in the past.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

eviltwin wrote: »
    Could be worse OP. They could use 'significant other'.

It always trips me up when I see the abbreviations 'DD' and 'SO' on forums. After a long career in banking my brain is programmed to read those as Direct Debit and Standing Order.

OH doesn't really bother me, because it's something I've heard people using outside of the internet (other half, not OH) but I can't stand DH, DS & DD. Who the hell uses that in every day life? "Oh, my darling husband is a plumber, my darling son is making his communion this year, my darling daughter has just started playschool." Puke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Doesn't bother me as much as that "bae" nonsense,sounds like a word teenagers from Beverly hills would use

I thought bae was a pisstake word that no one actually uses. Until I overheard two teenagers on the train using it over and over in a normal conversation...it is awful!

Advertisement