Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA people = Cavemen?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Played both Gaa and rugby for years.

used to get ****e from gaa coach's for playing rugby but never from rugby coach for playing Gaa.

Still play rugby , havent played Gaa in 3 or 4 years ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

http://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaa-bans-ref-from-wearing-rainbow-gay-pride-wristband-at-croker-31048906.html
    A referee was tonight banned from wearing a sweatband in the gay pride colours as it was seen as a political act. Quite an outdated, caveman attitude to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

http://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaa-bans-ref-from-wearing-rainbow-gay-pride-wristband-at-croker-31048906.html
    A referee was tonight banned from wearing a sweatband in the gay pride colours as it was seen as a political act. Quite an outdated, caveman attitude to take.

Is anyone here really surprised at that? GAA still belongs in 1950's rural Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Referees should dress as referees for the match and leave emblems etc in the locker room. It also sets a precedent so the GAA were right to say no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

pauliebdub wrote: »
    Referees should dress as referees for the match and leave emblems etc in the locker room. It also sets a precedent so the GAA were right to say no.

Yeah seems fair enough. I think players/officials making political points at a game isn't on. And the ref said that it was a political act! Can you imagine a ref wearing a political party logo in the run-up to a general election?!

Still, won't stop the usual types claiming this is ignorance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

I'd never pass up an opportunity to knock the gaa, but this isn't one.

Given that the referendum is only a couple of months away then it could well have been perceived as a political statement,even if that wasn't the intention.

They were right not to allow it on those grounds. Keep politics out of sport

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Yes they're all stuck in the 50's :rolleyes:

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=233188

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭fed up sick and tired

People whine about the GAA for numerous reasons.

1. They were ****e at it themselves.
    2. They are then attracted to games of lesser skill, like soccer.
    3. By fetishising wendyball, their urban working class credentials are affirmed.
    4. They didn't like Irish in school.

Wimps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Not sure if srs..

It's unfortunate that a human rights issue is also a political one, that is that there is opposition to the referendum passing. But such is life, and so it was probably the right decision.

• Site Banned Posts: 13 GerryAdams10

My priest was giving off about GAA training being scheduled for Sunday mornings at mass last week.

I like the GAA but even if I didn't like it I would still like it to thrive as it is a strong piece of Gaelic heritage that the Protestants up here in Northern Ireland despise. If the GAA introduced Scottish shinty to the organisation they would still hate it.

Soccer is a foreign game that clowns up in Derry city and Belfast play. I do watch soccer but it has no place in rural Gaelic communities

• Advertisement

Lapin wrote: »
    Spot on. Gaelic Football is shíte. Hurling rocks though.

Tho OP is talking bollox though for the vast majority of GAA players.

True there are still a few old dinosaurs left on committees around the place, (mainly up North and in Cork). But they are few and far between anymore and most of them will be dead in a few years.

But in fairness, it's not unique to the GAA. Most sports have their share of ould farts at admin level.

Quit your nonsense, ulster GAA should be praised given the amount of abuse we receive by willie frazer sorts, only last year a GAA shirt was banned from EastEnders and it turned out to just be an o'neills PE shirt. We should be praised at how we have kept Gaelic culture alive in essentially an anti irish-catholic state

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Jaysus I can hardly hear myself think with all the sweeping generalisations around here.

There are assholes in the GAA.
    There are assholes in the IRFU (man could I tell stories on this one in particular. But what's the point. There are plenty of others who are fine representatives of the sport).
    There are assholes in the FAI.

etc etc etc.

Forcing your kids into particular sports so that they'll avoid GAA is as bad as the so-called "cavemen" forcing kids to play Gaelic football and/or hurling instead of other sports. The irony of that seems to be lost on a certain poster around here.

Can't believe this thread is still open to be honest.

nah, I'm the same with my 10-month old, he'll never darken the door of a gah club.

He'll join Litte Kickers at 18 months, Soccer. And he'll join the kids cricket team down in the Phoenix Park when he's able.

Thing is, we live in Dublin and he's not a Catholic, so he wont be indocrinated from an early age by some bogger teacher - he's registered in the local Educate Together, and his name is down in the 12-kids-in-a-class Protestant school too, so hopefully gah isn't even on his radar, it'll never be on tv in this house anyway.

This is from a guy who used to be brought to see Heffo's Army with his dad, and grew up in the 90s with Dessie Farrell as a local hero, but then the gah got greedy and started to act like bollixes. Want nothing to do with them ever again.

Martin O'Neill the manager of you're countries soccer team was a bog catholic gaa player and played county

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

Soccer is a foreign game that clowns up in Derry city and Belfast play. I do watch soccer but it has no place in rural Gaelic communities

That is a such a ridiculously ignorant attitude. Who gives a rats arse where a sport originated? Pizza is a 'foreign food' does that stop you eating it? The majority of movies screening in Irish Cinemas are 'foreign' does that stop you watching them? Do you not do, eat, wear, read, watch or play anything with 'foreign' origins at all? If not you must live a hideously boring, narrow, closed minded life. I'm sorry but that sort of attitude is definately caveman/redneck, no doubt about that. Thankfully I have encountered nothing of the sort at the local GAA club where my son plays.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Fairly sure the OP is bang on.

I refuse to let my kids play GAA as they a bunch of wankbags.

That's not a very nice thing to call your children! But I guess you know them best.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

kub wrote: »
    Is anyone here really surprised at that? GAA still belongs in 1950's rural Ireland.

LOL-so if next week a referee wants to wear an armband showing his opposition to Gay marriage, do you think he should be allowed to wear it too?

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    That is a such a ridiculously ignorant attitude. Who gives a rats arse where a sport originated? Pizza is a 'foreign food' does that stop you eating it? The majority of movies screening in Irish Cinemas are 'foreign' does that stop you watching them? Do you not do, eat, wear, read, watch or play anything with 'foreign' origins at all? If not you must live a hideously boring, narrow, closed minded life. I'm sorry but that sort of attitude is definately caveman/redneck, no doubt about that. Thankfully I have encountered nothing of the sort at the local GAA club where my son plays.

Maybe you missed the point where I said that I watch soccer, I actually used to attend games when I lived in England but still I would not like to see soccer and rugby become a major sport among rural communities

• Registered Users Posts: 13,683 ✭✭✭✭josip

Og ici plof ti ra nisi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

"Soccer" or football as it is known by most, is a world wide game, not a foreign game. It is played in every town and city and has far more active participants than GAA will ever have.

I've never managed to understand the draw of Gaelic sports, football in particular. Hurling is a skilful game but GAA football hasn't a lot to offer. As for the people who follow it, I'm sure that most are decent hard-working open-minded folk but I have come across some utter morons, with a very sad view of those of us who chose not to follow their sports. The GAA does have a ridiculously strong hold on the media and schools in this country. The amount of GAA coverage on RTE is a joke. I'd like to see minority sports get a slice of that media coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

Maybe you missed the point where I said that I watch soccer, I actually used to attend games when I lived in England but still I would not like to see soccer and rugby become a major sport among rural communities

Well the rugby club is massive in the rural community where I live. My child plays both GAA and Rugby. Why do you think people in rural communities should not have a choice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

How come your not in Derry tonight paying homage to Kim Jong-UN,Sorry-Gerry Adams,?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

And turn down £100,000 a week because they prefer GAA. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Some on this thread have it out that the GAA reject gays.

In reality when I do imagine it must be hard to be in a dressing room and hear these slurs most guys out there get on with it. A past example for instance Cork's Donal og Cusack. A great goalkeeper, nobody cared if he was gay or not, keeping the ball out of the net was the main thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Things I have learned from this thread:

People in the GAA are a bunch of wankbags.
    Rugby is the queens game.
    Nobody with the second name Rupert has ever played on the U13 camogie team.
    You cannot leave your local club.
    Forrest Gump played GAA but ran off.
    The typical higher up in the GAA are small minded, holier than thou, smug bullies.
    Bogger Teachers indoctrinate catholics from an early age.
    The "World Cup" of gah is, literally, a makey-uppy game played against disinterested Australian thugs that usually ends up in a fight.
    Iggle Piggle plays hurling for the Vatican.
    GAA warriors plough up pitches to stop soccer teams from using them.
    The GAA is actually the Gahlliban, explains the reappearance of beards lately.
    Gah parents are Mad Mullahs.
    Garth Brooks, enough said.
    Most soccer fans have no great love for the IFA.
    The GAA are brainwashing people in France, Spain, Italy and Abu Dhabi although they also have a soccer team, golf society and a drama group.
    Gaa players/crowd tend to be dog ignorant with a misplaced arrogance.
    They play golf in Cavan.
    There is a gayness test for Cricket.
    Gah football is just a poor concept which is only popular in regions of Ireland where the Catholic Church is strong and the people are, in general, stupid.
    Devoted GAA players/managers have little to no experience of gay men.
    GAA players no longer kiss the bishops ring.
    Willie Frazer abuses Ulster GAA.
    Pizza is a 'foreign food’
    Britvic has something to do with the GAA.

Someone will have to explain oook and wrinkly raisin w*nker, lost on me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

Haha Gall. You forgot:

Soccer and rugby people love when you play GAA, but the GAAliban will shoot you in the face if they catch you playing any other games during the GAA season. Including board games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I live in Abu Dhabi and the GAA World Games were held here this weekend. There were teams from all over the world- the Middle East, Africa, Australasia, North and South America, Asia, Europe. They were hundreds of players and thousands of spectator and supporters in attendance on both days. Pat Spillane, Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh, Eoin Kelly, Marty Morrissey, and a whole host of other GAA stalwarts were in attendance. I'm not particularly into the GAA, but it was an absolutely brilliant event. Everyone was so approachable and so friendly. You'd just be wandering around looking at the games and chatting to Pat Spillane or Eoin Kelly, and then end up having a random drink with Marty Morrissey that night. There were players from all over Ireland obviously, but lots too from other countries who wouldn't exactly have a big GAA heritage. One of the teams was made up entirely from South Africans, and they looked like they were having a brilliant time.

Anyway, say what you like about the GAA, and I'm sure some of the criticisms here are valid, but they really flew the flag for Ireland this weekend, and it was great to be part of. I doubt whether the FAI or the IRFU could have put on such an inclusive, welcoming event as I witnessed at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

To put it quite simply,

GAA people think that they have the right to dictate to you what you can and cannot do with your free time.

Football and rugby people know that they most certainly do not have that right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Pulled my kid out of the local GAA football team because a reported incident of racism that wasn't dealt with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Einhard wrote: »
    I live in Abu Dhabi and the GAA World Games were held here this weekend. There were teams from all over the world- the Middle East, Africa, Australasia, North and South America, Asia, Europe. They were hundreds of players and thousands of spectator and supporters in attendance on both days. Pat Spillane, Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh, Eoin Kelly, Marty Morrissey, and a whole host of other GAA stalwarts were in attendance. I'm not particularly into the GAA, but it was an absolutely brilliant event. Everyone was so approachable and so friendly. You'd just be wandering around looking at the games and chatting to Pat Spillane or Eoin Kelly, and then end up having a random drink with Marty Morrissey that night. There were players from all over Ireland obviously, but lots too from other countries who wouldn't exactly have a big GAA heritage. One of the teams was made up entirely from South Africans, and they looked like they were having a brilliant time.

Anyway, say what you like about the GAA, and I'm sure some of the criticisms here are valid, but they really flew the flag for Ireland this weekend, and it was great to be part of. I doubt whether the FAI or the IRFU could have put on such an inclusive, welcoming event as I witnessed at the weekend.

You nearly had me until you mentioned Marty Morrissey. He would melt if he went anywhere near Abu Dhabi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Figerty

Pulled my kid out of the local GAA football team because a reported incident of racism that wasn't dealt with.

That is very loose talk. Did it actually happen or was reported to have happened. You know if you are in management of any organisation dealing with issues like the is fraught with danger.
    You should have gone above the local club rather than pull out. What have you achieved by pulling out?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement