Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA people = Cavemen?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭ngcxt6

ITT: Saddo's with no lifes being bitter about things they perceive wrongly.

I dont even like or play GAA but seriously, grow up and stop being so pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

FURET wrote: »
    Personally, when out of curiosity I looked up the Irish society where I currently live, I felt a bit disappointed that the ethos of it seemed to revolve around the pub, GAA, and Rose of Tralee.

I've decided not to attend any of its events - which is absolutely no loss for the group's members, I'm sure!

I think Irish people in general tend to cluster into groups when abroad and the activities of these groups tend to be very predictable. The same is true for some other nationalities (Filipinos always seek each other out). But Germans and many other northern Europeans seem to eschew each other when abroad. These are purely anecdotal observations, mind you.

What can I say - one of the main reasons I left Ireland was because social life there didn't appeal to me at all; it revolves hugely around alcohol and sport. If you're not into these activities, you are in a minority.

I suspect the Irish abroad fall into two groups:
    • The first and probably largest group is the one that hangs out together and basically tries to replicate life in Ireland through sport and the pub.
    • The second group are more introverted, not very enamored with Ireland, and many may have left Ireland precisely because they wanted to escape from the social life dominance of sport and the pub (and probably the weather). When these individuals go abroad, I guess they tend to avoid other Irish people and gravitate towards other cultures.

Personally I have avoided Irish people where I live. On the few occasions when I have bumped into Irish people, they inevitably try to strike up some banter about the local Irish pub or make some GAA-related remark about the county I'm from. I just get nothing from that at all; it's not how I'd choose to start a conversation, I don't go to the pub and I couldn't care less about the county I happened to be born in, and I know absolutely nothing about its GAA teams. However, I completely understand why many people would try to start a conversation that way. But for me it's very off-putting...it's not as if people ask me "are you interested in hurling?" Usually, they just assume that I am interested and make some quip that goes over my head. It's the way I'm wired.

I suppose more generally I don't like large group activities, teams, and the notion of supporters and fans. I look at large groups of supporters, all bellowing their slogans and wearing their colors, and I see nothing more than a mob. I realize that my perspective is unusual, and I'm fine with that and don't try to get into debates with people about it. I do not wish that deep down I could be like them. I just don't understand the mentality and find it annoying. But the thing about the GAA is that every two-bit dreary old village in Ireland (like the one that I'm from) has its very own mob. And then there are the 32 mobs, one for each county. And this clannishness seeps into politics and gets in the way of sensible planning. That's my considered viewpoint and I'm sticking to it.

This is one of the best posts I have ever read on Boards.ie not giving a flying about GAA and that unvoiced opinion as a teenager that I rarely voiced, but surely made me passive aggressive to no end: "Jesus, is this all you talk about all day, every day, do you have anything else going on upstairs"

Half my childhood was 50% trying to give **** about GAA, and the other half was realising I should have done become myself a lot earlier, a lot of wasted time, but when your in the sticks you don't have many options.

As for them being cavemen, there is a bit of repression mentality/quality or something. One of friends works as a waiter at a local hotel and she had GAA players coming together (happened to stone quarriers) for a night out, and the story made me smirk for how little it changed, it could have been something straight out of my secondary school years. The guys were very mousey and quiet and when ordering their food and drinks, by the time the drinks were in, they were dropping utterly cringy innuendos, to her and have the "lads bants", where as before they'd hardly acknowledge this girl if they passed her on the street. Hell they never even talked to her in school and if they did it would be in the worst of terms. Animals basically, thinking they were H-I-L-A-R-I-O-U-S asking for mayonnaise on that

A pity they wouldn't be such heroes in the morning when it counts. Stereotypes do tend to exist for a reason, they're true.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

No im not. There are tonnes of young gay GAA players who would like to come out but the whole ethos of GAA is still very unsupportive of this and a young man, who doesnt have the wisdom and experience of Donal Og (who didnt come out until quite late in his career, remember), can feel depressed and isolated as a large amount of his team-mates all head off on lads holidays, get married and settle down with the local girl and they can become the brunt of nasty gossip and end up even suicidal, its a lot more common that you think.

Then you have the dyed-in-the-wool GAA board members, practically all family men and church going, who have a lot of influence over who plays and who doesnt etc and they often make comments which can seem hostile to gay men so no support there either. I think the fact that you reference ONE player who came out as evidence that the GAA is not homophobic is naive and short-sighted in the extreme.

You are about 20 maybe 30 years behind everyone else or wherever you live is 20/30 year's behind the times, I am having great trouble trying to get my head around all the stereotypes on this thread,

Hands up... How many of you non gaa people think us gaa folk only visit the capital on all irelands and the 8th of December

I can't get my head around the Catholic Church stuff either do ye still do that kiss the Bishop's ring before a game?

I have played on teams with gay players and never remember them being treated any different than myself, I think most of the stereotypes spoke about doesn't add up not where I am from anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

I grew up playing soccer and rugby. For various reasons I am now heavily involved with the local GAA club. It is true that GAApeople are a bit overly fond of (1) Irish and (2) Religion. However it is a great organisation especially for young people and they will not shove 1 or 2 down your throat in modern Ireland. Some clubs are well run and organised, others are a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

Adamantium wrote: »
    This is one of the best posts I have ever read on Boards.ie not giving a flying about GAA and that unvoiced opinion as a teenager that I rarely voiced, but surely made me passive aggressive to no end: "Jesus, is this all you talk about all day, every day, do you have anything else going on upstairs"

Half my childhood was 50% trying to give **** about GAA, and the other half was realising I should have done become myself a lot earlier, a lot of wasted time, but when your in the sticks you don't have many options.

As for them being cavemen, there is a bit of repression mentality/quality or something. One of friends works as a waiter at a local hotel and she had GAA players coming together (happened to stone quarriers) for a night out, and the story made me smirk for how little it changed, it could have been something straight out of my secondary school years. The guys were very mousey and quiet and when ordering their food and drinks, by the time the drinks were in, they were dropping utterly cringy innuendos, to her and have the "lads bants", where as before they'd hardly acknowledge this girl if they passed her on the street. Hell they never even talked to her in school and if they did it would be in the worst of terms. Animals basically, thinking they were H-I-L-A-R-I-O-U-S asking for mayonnaise on that

A pity they wouldn't be such heroes in the morning when it counts. Stereotypes do tend to exist for a reason, they're true.

Funny but your story applies to just about any group of lads out on the piss/pull whatever. This is hardly the sole domain of GAA players now. Who remebers that sketch with Dermot Morgan and the drunk Rugby lads.

Almost every stereotype being thrown at the GAA here can pretty much apply to any group of lads playing a team sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

From a working class Dublin football playing /supporting perspective they are as elitest as the rugby crowd in their own little way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Some of you here must just be in sh1t clubs. What club in today's world discriminates against anyone for being gay? Never ever seen it, ever. I'm fairly sure that'd be treated just as seriously as racism if brought to the attention of the GAA. Also about playing other sports, I haven't ever seen this being an issue for GAA clubs. A lot of the lads in the local clubs here play rugby and soccer. I've never seen any of them have their GAA club give them an ultimatum about it. This includes every member of the team, from the lads there just to keep fit, to the county stars. Each sport is just a past time, and it's actually generally warmly welcomed for the lads to play more than one sport, because they'll be fitter and stronger from playing over the winter. If there's a clash early in the GAA season then obviously the lads will go to soccer/rugby, because that has been going on much longer, this is never a problem.

Some of the posts here seem like they're being posted from a time machine 30 years ago. Where are you all living that this sh1te still goes on? Or are we dealing with people who are just bitter towards GAA in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Aspiring wrote: »
    Some of the posts here seem like they're being posted from a time machine 30 years ago. Where are you all living that this sh1te still goes on? Or are we dealing with people who are just bitter towards GAA in general.

You'd be surprised - I have witnessed some awful attitudes; see my post above for my own experience though - mainly positive. The people I see with backward opinions tend to be in the 55+ bracket and often the women are the worst :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

The kid will be brought to see Shels from this summer..

Jeez man when you said the young man was going to grow up without exposure to sport i didnt realise you were deadly serious :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Fairly sure the OP is bang on.

I refuse to let my kids play GAA as they a bunch of wankbags.

Bit harsh calling your kids wankbags in fairness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Bambi wrote: »
    Bit harsh calling your kids wankbags in fairness

I've called mine worse in fairness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Are you looking forward to having the Junior Cert out of the way?

Someone's obviously upset, I've the Junior Cert finished Covey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I grew up in the sticks playing GAA football but also athletics/soccer/cycling and never had any issues other than having the time to fit them all in.

My opinion on many things that people have against the GAA is that if it didn't exist, the same issues, parochialism, small-mindedness etc would still be the same in whatever sport would be No 1. Having issues with managers/coaches happens in all sports and is not exclusive to GAA.

I mentioned that I was involved in a number of sports and the one thing all clubs had in common is that they all had their assholes, the GAA just has more as it is the biggest sport in most parts, Law of averages etc.

I have been involved in cycling again in recent years and there are plenty of assholes to go around as it has grown bigger. Indeed there were a number of incidents in our general area last year that were just shocking. Now new clubs are forming out of old clubs because of fights/disagreements. Crazy stuff.

I stopped being involved with our local GAA club because of a few disrespectful comments directed at me by a few assholes. Was it because they were GAA people? No, it was because they were assholes. Period. I still attend games etc and would have no problem getting involved again in the future if I had the time.

I think in rural area especially, the GAA can be a real lifeline for people. I have seen people who as kids barely played or were interested in GAA become followers of the County team and get involved in the local club with their children etc.

At the end of the day, people are people.
    I'd broadly agree with this, the parish I'm from has never had a GAA club (a lot of Donegal is soccer country), but has three soccer clubs, and you see a lot of the same bolloxology and maliciousness from certain committee members in the different clubs as you would between the different codes in other parishes.

Wherever you go, you'll get assholes.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

conorh91 wrote: »
    With respect, every GAA club in the country sees guys like this every season: they don't like taking orders or they see things a different way, and they walk away. Some stop turning up, some storm off.

In my opinion those guys are better-suited to individual sports, if any. In a team situation, people have to commit to a certain amount of discipline. OK so you disagree with the coach, and maybe you are correct, but on a team you're going to need to work as part of the machine. You have your job, he has his.

I don;t think this is particularly a GAA issue. I think it's just that the GAA is so pervasive, people are confusing it with being a GAA problem. Maybe I;m wrong, maybe the GAA sometimes takes discipline for granted, and other sports feel the need to be flexible.

Either way, with an attitude like the attitude you describe, I doubt you were missed.
    Agreed. It really has nothing to do with Soccer or whatever else. It's about commitment to the team. The same happens with duel players who play both hurling and football. Certain coaches/managers want the player to choose one or the other.

I never had an issue with playing different sports while playing Gaelic Football, I played tennis, badminton, soccer and athletics at one point without any issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Lapin wrote: »
    Spot on. Gaelic Football is shíte. Hurling rocks though.

Tho OP is talking bollox though for the vast majority of GAA players.

True there are still a few old dinosaurs left on committees around the place, (mainly up North and in Cork). But they are few and far between anymore and most of them will be dead in a few years.

But in fairness, it's not unique to the GAA. Most sports have their share of ould farts at admin level.

Every single sport in the world is a manufactured sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

I don't mind watching the hurling in the summer for the sake of socializing in a bar with friends, it's a very skillful and enjoyable sport to watch, the only one I'll bother watching. I don't follow every single local club game, like who in the f**k has time to follow that? I always wondered. I like the sport but I never understood the whole worship mentality about it and being looked at like I have two heads if I don't follow every single game, you get more of this stuff if you live out in the sticks.

Never liked playing GAA as a kid in school, thought it to be very bandwagon-ish and they made people play that didn't have the co-ordination or real passion for playing it, I know I didn't anyway, there was kids in my class that were playing it as soon as they were out nappy's, where I only got to hold a hurl for the first time at like age 9 or something, so everyone else had a few years on me.

Always used to begrudge the hurlers in school because they often got away with misbehaving in school because they were representing the school, pissed me off to no end, they also got off classes early and given a free ride with a lot of stuff, a lot of them that I knew growing up slowly grew into arrogant douchebags.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭ShakerMaker91

I'm a football man and I have to laugh at some of the GAA heads round my neck of the woods they saunter around the place thinkin their superstars while looking down their noses at everyone else... Years back a few of us were playing the foreign game on the local GAA pitch when one of the committee lads came in off the road and told us to **** off the pitch with that foreign game (he was wearing a Manchester United cap) or he'd call the guards on a bunch of young lads playing football!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Years back a few of us were playing the foreign game on the local GAA pitch when one of the committee lads came in off the road and told us to **** off the pitch with that foreign game (he was wearing a Manchester United cap) or he'd call the guards on a bunch of young lads playing football!!

I reckon you're telling porkies, mate.

Dont forget the homophobia. Its almost a guarantee that devoted GAA players/managers have little to no experience of gay men, having come from a rural isolated town where such things never happen....

Its shocking to see in 2015 the degree of anti-gay talk from players, parents of players and managers that still goes on.

2 very high profile Gaelic Games players have come out as gay in the last few years and it hasn't caused an ounce of fuss.In fact most people have acted completely indifferently ,which is the correct way to act in this situation as a players sexuality is nobody elses business.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭ShakerMaker91

wish I was man he was actually driving at the time he saw so he had to pull in and park the car. He then got out of the car and told us to vacate the pitch using more colorful language... Some GAA heads round me are chronic for this kind of thing

• Advertisement

Random thought: Only caught the second half of Kilkenny and Dublin, bored me to tears. Not trolling, just saying it was a sh1te match.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Figerty

Random thought: Only caught the second half of Kilkenny and Dublin, bored me to tears. Not trolling, just saying it was a sh1te match.

It was a contest right to the end. 15 against 13, skills, toughness, and fitness of the highest order in February. Monumental effort by KK to come back from the dead.
    Let's be honest it's trolling you are at or perhaps you can't appreciate the finer things in this sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭feichin

Every sport and every code has it's share of idiots - on the pitch, on the sideline, in the committee room and in the TV analysts studio. Having said that most sports people enjoy all sports whether their preference is Soccer, Rugby Gaelic football or Hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭otto_26

I hate when something bad happens and on the papers its all about how the person was a member of the local GAA club meaning they must of been lovely. The majority of the most disgusting people I have met in my life are all GAA heads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wVF3aDeCWs

Absolutely hate these #TheToughest ads on TV. Colm Cooper has the most boring voice that would drive you to drink that is similar to Ronan O'Gara's and they try their damnedest to promote the All-Ireland Club Championship.

Another thing that annoys me is the people who think that Gaelic Games are the greatest sports on earth. You know, the people who can't talk about Hurling without mentioning that it is the fastest sport on grass. They love talking about how dedicated their players are compared to the Premiership players saying things like "Oooh look at these players, they train 7 days a week and still hold down a job #Dedication #FastestSportOnGrass".

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Yeah and why do Sky Sports always refer to the Premier League as 'the greatest league in the world' it's almost like they want you to watch it or something.

Yeah and why do Sky Sports always refer to the Premier League as 'the greatest league in the world' it's almost like they want you to watch it or something.

Because it bloody is!

Because it bloody is!

UEFA's coefficients seem to disagree with that theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Figerty

Because it bloody is!

Was great today there was about 4 hours of hurling on TV today. Didn't even realise the Premiership was on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

I played both for years. Got considerable stick from people in my gaa club because I and a few others wouldn't give up 'soccer' when the gaelic season started.

Games rarely if ever clashed so I didn't think it necessary.

The gaa then decided to have training at 11 every Sunday morning the same time as we played football in attempt to force players to quit the 'foreign game', which unfortunately most did.

After years of getting grief for playing football from gaa people I decided that was the last straw and I haven't stood in a gaa ground since. That was 6 years ago.

I coached a minor gaelic side around the same time and received a few phone-calls from club members informing that players were also playing 'soccer'. They were quite angry when I said I didn't care and I was told I should 'ban them' from playing it.

This type of attitude is quite common in numerous clubs that I know of in Sligo and Leitrim, (can't speak for other parts of the country) and the only thing that annoys me more than that attitude is gaa people denying that it exists.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement