Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA people = Cavemen?

Options
  • 22-02-2015 2:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭

Why are some GAA people so blind to reality and stupid?

The typical higher up in a GAA club is a devoted Catholic, acts like every other sport other than Hurling and Football doesn't exist and if someone plays other sports and doesn't play a GAA sport then that sport is for "People who are no good at GAA". In my experience they refer to Rugby and especially Soccer as "The Queen's game" and seem to still be very butthurt over the whose Bloody Sunday event. They have also scheduled GAA training with Soccer training to make people sweat.

I might let it be known that I play both Soccer and Gaelic games and enjoy both thoroughly and I probably spend more time watching GAA matches than Soccer, but in my experience the GAA higher ups are very medieval while the Soccer lads have always been very down to earth. I'm just stating my opinions so if you have any opinions or if you question anything I've said, please feel free to comment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

It's not GAA, its Gaaaaaaaaaa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

I've never experienced anything you've mentioned here in my 15 years playing GAA. You're talking about a very small minority of people as though every club is like that, which isn't the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Oook??

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Fairly sure the OP is bang on.

I refuse to let my kids play GAA as they a bunch of wankbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Never in my life heard of anything called the queens game :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Fairly sure the OP is bang on.

My opinion of the GAA has gotten worse and worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Pocaide

Trolling

Another thing I might mention is that your second name matters in some areas, like mine.

Pocaide wrote: »
    Trolling

I'm not in fairness

Another thing I might mention is that your second name matters in some areas, like mine.

Of course it does!

Otherwise no one would now which Michael they were roaring at!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Pocaide

Oh yes you are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Try playing for your local club for most of your life and then leaving, op. You will NEVER hear the end of it.

Chucken wrote: »
    Of course it does!

Otherwise no one would now which Michael they were roaring at!

Hahahahahhahaha Comment of the thread award goes to.... This guy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

My second name is Rupert.

Now that you mention it nobody with that second name has ever played on the U13 camogie team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

jimgoose wrote: »
    Oook??

Jimgoose is the Librarian. I knew it.

Try playing for your local club for most of your life and then leaving, op. You will NEVER hear the end of it.

We are very similar people then, because I am trying to leave my club

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Worst in really small rural villages. The local Gaaliban get real pissy when you don't bow to the local minor county 'star'.

Hahahahahhahaha Comment of the thread award goes to.... This guy

I'm not a guy :(
    I'm an oldish lady, probably old enough to your grandmother...but I digress.

My grandsons will have a difficult time on the hurling pitch I'd say. Lets just say their surname isnt Irish. ;)

Jimgoose is the Librarian. I knew it.

Somebody is going to pay dearly for that "Pongo" sign. I mean, just 'cos I was a fcukan full-back...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Never in my life heard of anything called the queens game :confused:

Garrison Games is the expression I've heard many times.

Of course you should never mention to GAA heads that their football is an entirely artificial construct, manufactured purely to be something that wasn't English. The effects of this back-of-an-envelope rulebook can still be seen today as it's almost impossible to dispossess an opposition player without fouling them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Hope you enjoy being hassled and asked at local pubs toilet urinals if you're coming back playing...5 years after you left.

I'm not a guy :(
    I'm an oldish lady, probably old enough to your grandmother...but I digress.

My grandsons will have a difficult time on the hurling pitch I'd say. Lets just say their surname isnt Irish. ;)

Well when I say surname, I'm talking about if they're uncles and fathers and grandfathers had the same second name then they'd try not to do anything that would affect that family

Sure you're only a young fella. Can you not just hide on them? Or something?

Hope you enjoy being hassled and asked at local pubs urinals if you're coming back playing...5 years after you left.

Soul mates I'd say, we should PM the juicy details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

come on the royal , up navan, up meath

Well when I say surname, I'm talking about if they're uncles and fathers and grandfathers had the same second name then they'd try not to do anything that would affect that family

Oh my grandsons will be 1st generation hurlers. No comparisons to be made.
    Shouting out their surname on the sideline will be funny though :D

Sure you're only a young fella. Can you not just hide on them? Or something?

Please elaborate on this I don't understand haha

Hope you enjoy being hassled and asked at local pubs toilet urinals if you're coming back playing...5 years after you left.

Hint: they're not talking about hurling or football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Baby Jane

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Pretty harsh to refuse to let children play a sport should they ever want to... and for a dubious reason ("they a bunch of wankbags").

(I have no interest in GAA and never played it by the way).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Ah the old, Stuck-at-home-on-a-Saturday-Night-Because-I'm-Too-Young-To-Go-Out-so-I-Make-Up-A-****-Attempt-At-a-troll-Thread thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement