Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Well that's me not travelling so. I was willing to spend the 2+ hours up and back to Galway to see how the lads are progressing after the Dublin game but I won't stir an inch now that Kelly is reffing it. I would end up crashing on the way home after thinking of all the crazy decisions he awarded against us and probably Galway too and I don't want to see the kind of game Kelly refs.

Presume this is just tongue in cheek. At this stage I just laugh at these decisions, especially at this time of year. I think Kelly's crown has been stolen by Lyons from Cork after the JJF decision against the dubs. Good to read that the appeal has been made. I doubt it'll be deliberated on for too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

I see Colm Lyons is not in action this weekend, looks like he has been sent to the naughty step!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

may indeed but a joke but Kelly's refereeing specifically as far as KK is concerned is a joke. He has reffed KK matches since 2001/2002 and in many of these I have been uneasy about his one-sidedness. He will probably show it again against galway but that is the mark of the man. It should not stop us trying to win though - as we have in most of the matches he has reffed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

*some* of the Kilkenny paranoia over Barry Kelly is absolutely mental. Not going to games, not going to All Ireland finals :rolleyes:, pre empting mistakes and going to games waiting on him to make a mistake so they can crow "he is out to do us". A lot of counties have hang ups on referees (Galway and John Denton, Wexford and MacSuibhne, etc) but this thing with Kelly is beyond anything I have ever seen before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭deadybai

That's because he is so blatantly one sided against Kilkenny. Thought he was a disgrace last year in the drawn game. And I'm not just talking about the free at the end.
    Now I wouldn't go as far as not going to a game just cause he is officiating. That is really silly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Kenajonn

We need to stop obsessing about referees. Kilkenny have won more than anybody else so they cannot be too bad. If this continues not only will we look bad losers. We will also lose the respect of all other Gaa supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Unfortunately I'm not joking I usually don't slate a ref I might disagree with one about a decision but Kelly boils my blood. My time is precious enough as I do a lot of volunteering as well as my job and watching hurling is one of the few times I take for myself. I'm working until Saturday evening and flying out of Dublin on Monday morning and I was going to spend my 1 day off going to the match but with Kelly reffing. I' love to see how the lads are progressing and to see any of the new guys get their chance. I've missed the Cork game and will miss the Clare game due to work.

I really wanted to go to this game and was all up for it until I heard Kelly is reffing. Some will say I'm stupid, crazy, lazy or whatever but I can cite far too many instances in every game I've ever seen him ref and not just Kilkenny games that I don't agree with and multiple instances in every game. The game will be stop and start and you'll hear the whistle more than anything else. If he doesn't ref the game that way it'll be the first time im aware off that he'll have reffed differently. Unfortunately that's not the kind of hurling I want to watch so I'm not going to spend 4+ hours driving to watch that type of game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Kenajonn wrote: »
    We need to stop obsessing about referees. Kilkenny have won more than anybody else so they cannot be too bad. If this continues not only will we look bad losers. We will also lose the respect of all other Gaa supporters.

By the way I don't think Kelly has a vendetta against Kilkenny although I can see the reason why people do, he has made some huge calls against us and rarely have they gone our way but I think this is more a result of his style of reffing which clashes with our style of play and not that he has anything personal against our lads. I don't object to him personally, it's more I object to his style of reffing, which is know is personal. I hope you get my meaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

dcrosskid wrote: »
    Proved right???

You missed out on arguably the greatest game of hurling that has ever been played.

Yes, but also a game that would have become an utter farce If Bubbles had scored that last free. Kelly came within two inches of depriving Kilkenny of an
    All Ireland. That it happened twice in All Irelands in the past three years is not just coincidence. He has a bias against Kilkenny and his refereeing reflects it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭andyman

It should never, ever determine whether you go to a game though.

If anything, if there's a one-sided referee that's when the players need the supporters more.

• Advertisement

Kenajonn wrote: »

If this continues not only will we look bad losers. We will also lose the respect of all other Gaa supporters.

You obviously didn't see any of the comments after the Dublin match...

By the way I don't think Kelly has a vendetta against Kilkenny although I can see the reason why people do, he has made some huge calls against us and rarely have they gone our way but I think this is more a result of his style of reffing which clashes with our style of play and not that he has anything personal against our lads. I don't object to him personally, it's more I object to his style of reffing, which is know is personal. I hope you get my meaning.

I also believe Kelly does not have a vendetta against us but he has made some big calls against us in big matches. Maybe it was just wrong place, wrong time and if it wasn't him, we'd be giving out about someone else. I have it on pretty good authority that BC was scathing about Kelly at the homecoming (after the replay) hence the 'criminal' comments. I think the attitude to Kelly among KK supporters has gone overboard and at this stage he's a focal point for general disenchantment with referees.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

^^^^^
    Well said citykat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭dzer2

citykat wrote: »
    I also believe Kelly does not have a vendetta against us but he has made some big calls against us in big matches. Maybe it was just wrong place, wrong time and if it wasn't him, we'd be giving out about someone else. I have it on pretty good authority that BC was scathing about Kelly at the homecoming (after the replay) hence the 'criminal' comments. I think the attitude to Kelly among KK supporters has gone overboard and at this stage he's a focal point for general disenchantment with referees.

You wont find a comment from me on refs only for BK I can take a bad ref, a Fat and slow ref, A ref that blows for everything and one that doesn't blow at all. But one that has the ability, intelligence and where with all to be sly corrupt and down right bias that's where I draw the line. Enough on this fool and while I will not travel this week end I will still follow KK and will be back at the next game please God

As was expected, Farell's red card has been rescinded.

From the Hogan Stand:
    A statement released today by the Central Hearings Committee explains: “Seán Seosamh Ó Fearail was ordered off for striking with his hurley with minimal force.
    “A Hearing was requested as he chose not to accept the proposed penalty.
    "On the basis of the video evidence provided, the Hearings Committee found that the Infraction was not proven and directed that the Disciplinary Action be at an end.”
    The ruling means the player is eligible to line out against Galway this weekend.

As was expected, Farell's red card has been rescinded.

From the Hogan Stand:

That is the 3rd red card a Kilkenny player has had rescinded in the last 4 years.. t'would be enough to nearly make you paranoid!

I wasn't sure what our record in Galway over last the while was, so I've looked it up.

Our away results against Galway, during the Cody era isn't too great. KK have won 2, but lost 4.

2013: Galway 3-11 - 0-17 Kilkenny
    2011: Galway 4–14 – 3–13 Kilkenny
    2009: Kilkenny 1-20 - 0-12 Galway
    2006: Kilkenny 1-16 - 0-10 Galway
    2004: Galway 0-18 – 1-12 Kilkenny
    2002: Galway 0-15 – 0-9 Kilkenny

That is the 3rd red card a Kilkenny player has had rescinded in the last 4 years.. t'would be enough to nearly make you paranoid!

How does that compare to other counties?

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dcrosskid

Shefflin was another, who was 3rd that I can't remember?

I think it's fair that Farrell's card was rescinded. I couldn't make out what he was adjudged to have done.

Still don't agree with the Shefflin red being rescinded. By the rule book Kelly was well with in his rights to have given 2 yellows and they really undermined him by overturning that red and also raising further questions of bias on Noreside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

I think it's fair that Farrell's card was rescinded. I couldn't make out what he was adjudged to have done.

Still don't agree with the Shefflin red being rescinded. By the rule book Kelly was well with in his rights to have given 2 yellows and they really undermined him by overturning that red and also raising further questions of bias on Noreside.

What was the offence that Shefflin committed that warranted a yellow card in your opinion when he struck Lorcan McLoughlin's hurl (which the Sunday Game confirmed through analysis of the incident)?

• Advertisement

Eddie Brennan down in Waterford in the league in 2011.
    What was Shefflin's first yellow for?

How does that compare to other counties?

Struggling to think of many others in recent years other than Horgan's against Limerick in 2013 Munster Final.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dcrosskid

What was the offence that Shefflin committed that warranted a yellow card in your opinion when he struck Lorcan McLoughlin's hurl (which the Sunday Game confirmed through analysis of the incident)?

Well if the Sunday Game said so....

Seriously though, from what I recall he got the 1st yellow for dangerous use of the hurley i.e. slapping down across McLoughlin. The fact that he hit his hurley as opposed to his hand is meaning less.

2nd yellow was high and he was playing with fire at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

No need for conspiracies......these are all individual cases.

In this case, a player received a red card for striking, appealed, and under review there was no evidence of any strike.

Do you think it would have been a different result for any other county?

No need for conspiracies......these are all individual cases.

In this case, a player received a red card for striking, appealed, and under review there was no evidence of any strike.

Do you think it would have been a different result for any other county?

That is my point, it is not just one case, there's been 3 cases in recent years involving the same county. How many incidents can you think of involving other counties?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

Well if the Sunday Game said so....

Seriously though, from what I recall he got the 1st yellow for dangerous use of the hurley i.e. slapping down across McLoughlin. The fact that he hit his hurley as opposed to his hand is meaning less.

2nd yellow was high and he was playing with fire at that stage.

It still amazes me that there are people who can justify that yellow for something that probably happens dozens of times per game without even a free, and in the context of what Kelly let go/missed that day, it makes the decision all the more farcical. I dare say they'd have a different opinion of the decision if it involved a player from their own county.

Anyway, I'm not going to say any more on this, there's little point in raking over old coals now

That is my point, it is not just one case, there's been 3 cases in recent years involving the same county. How many incidents can you think of involving other counties?

My point is that it may add up to 3 cases in 4 years. But they are INDIVIDUAL cases......

Players get red cards, feel they're injust, and appeal.

If other counties don't take advantage of the appeals process, how is that Kilkenny's fault?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Struggling to think of many others in recent years other than Horgan's against Limerick in 2013 Munster Final.

off the very top of my head:
    Diarmuid Connolly AI semi final v Donegal
    Michael Murphy V Cavan
    Eoin Cadogan v Armagh
    Graham Canty v someone I cant remember
    Lee Keegan v Kerry
    Some Meath footballer recently too.
    Westmeath minor Israel Ulungu

and I know there is a heap more I cant remember right now

I know they are mostly football, but its rare enough to have red cards in hurling. The JonJo Farrell decision was absolutely baffling at the time. But there is no conspiracy. Its ridiculous that it is even thought of.

Add

Pearse O'Neill - Cork
    Ciara McKeever - Armagh
    Dan Gordon - Down

Don't forget Andrew Shore who's just had a 48-week ban lifted after blatently breaking the rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

bruschi wrote: »
    off the very top of my head:
    Diarmuid Connolly AI semi final v Donegal
    Michael Murphy V Cavan
    Eoin Cadogan v Armagh
    Graham Canty v someone I cant remember
    Lee Keegan v Kerry
    Some Meath footballer recently too.
    Westmeath minor Israel Ulungu

and I know there is a heap more I cant remember right now

I know they are mostly football, but its rare enough to have red cards in hurling. The JonJo Farrell decision was absolutely baffling at the time. But there is no conspiracy. Its ridiculous that it is even thought of.
    The fact that Kilkenny play more games as well as they're consistently at the business end of the championship must come into it.

Decisions go for and against teams all the time. The decision by McGrath (I think) not to send off Donal O'Grady was a shocking decision last year against Kk but Delaney could have walked by the letter of the law (a harsh rule it must be said) for pulling Dowling's face guard in the first half.

You can look at every decision in a game if you want. Kelly reffed two limerick games last year. Dowling had a goal disallowed by Kelly for playing the Hurley which was widely debated. Could have cost us the game. Bonner Maher whilst probably being fouled took a heap of steps for his goal. That's a debatable 6 point swing. Refs make mistakes. To think refs have it in for Kk is very clare in the 90s under loughnane esque.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement