Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl introduce Nespresso compatible capsules

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Poster has been warned. Let's not take this any further off topic.

Thanks,

tHB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Lidl capsule in my experience taste just as well as similar Nespresso branded offerings. Nestle have utilized one of the most amazing marketing approaches in relation to Nespresso one that has resulted in many people purchasing capsules at a very large premium for no real benefit IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,074 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Some people are happy with the Lidl pods and some people are not. Whatever floats your boat. Nobody's right or wrong here IMO. I happen to like them well enoughand consider myself lucky to be able to just to pick them up with my regular shoppping, particularly with this current 3 for 2 offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Where would you pick up the actual nespresso pods usually?

And what would be the best one for cappuccinos?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Where would you pick up the actual nespresso pods usually?

And what would be the best one for cappuccinos?

Brown Thomas, you can try some before you purchase to see which you prefer as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,782 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

54kroc wrote: »
    Brown Thomas, you can try some before you purchase to see which you prefer as well.

They have a huge dedicated Nespresso shop on Duke St. now, saves the trek up the stairs in BT. Still mystified why they don't open concessions in the likes of Dundrum and Liffey Valley though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

So the supervalu capsules say they are nespresso compatiable. I presume then they are fine to use? They wouldn't make that claim otherwise as if they ****ed somones machine up there would be a bit of a backlash to say the least.

There are lots of nespresso 'compatibile' pods in the supermarkets in France, and believe you me, that can get mighty stuck in your machine, despite claiming to be completely compatible with nespresso machines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

loyatemu wrote: »
    They have a huge dedicated Nespresso shop on Duke St. now, saves the trek up the stairs in BT. Still mystified why they don't open concessions in the likes of Dundrum and Liffey Valley though...

Ah only have a BT's down in Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

So the supervalu capsules say they are nespresso compatiable. I presume then they are fine to use? They wouldn't make that claim otherwise as if they ****ed somones machine up there would be a bit of a backlash to say the least.

I find this really surprising. I mean its not like the format of a nespresso machine is a secret. Any engineer could easily reverse engineer a workable pod. I mean I doubt you'd even need to be an engineer. Moreover it was the subject of a case at European level... The law decided Nestle could not stop people from making pods for their machines...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

I find this really surprising. I mean its not like the format of a nespresso machine is a secret. Any engineer could easily reverse engineer a workable pod. I mean I doubt you'd even need to be an engineer. Moreover it was the subject of a case at European level... The law decided Nestle could not stop people from making pods for their machines...

Think it's something to do with the original Nespresso pods being aluminium and the rest plastic. The heat and pressure would show up any defective plastic pods (and there would be a small amount in each batch made thats the nature of plastic manufacturing) as against aluminium ones which would have more tolerance to the heat and pressure. That's what I think anyway!

I wouldn't mind paying for the nespresso pods....it's the hassle of getting them that annoys me.....why do they want to know who I am? Not their business IMO. And BT's and the shop in Duke street strike me as being full of posers.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭wiseoldelf

Anyone coffeemania.ie would be interested to know?

wiseoldelf wrote: »
    Anyone coffeemania.ie would be interested to know?

Those Impresso pods look suspiciously like the Dow Egberts ones you can get in France, under the name of L'Or. What I didn't like about the L'Or pods was that the flat base was made of sellophone rather than foil and they often didn't pierce properly in my machine. They're everywhere in France, but I quickly abandoned them.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Frog Song

I see Aldi have a pretty large range of Nespresso compatible pods now, at least 5/6 including Decaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Allan45121

Frog Song wrote: »
    I see Aldi have a pretty large range of Nespresso compatible pods now, at least 5/6 including Decaf.

Any reviews of these?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Does it bother anyone that these produce massive amounts of non-recyclable waste that will still be hanging around decades after your death? I wouldn't be able to enjoy a coffee that's so wasteful tbh. Waste of money and resources. Really hope they get banned sometime or the company is forced to develop compostable ones. Its really not that much work to get a good cup of coffee without producing a mountain of plastic waste every week.

Thargor wrote: »
    Does it bother anyone that these produce massive amounts of non-recyclable waste that will still be hanging around decades after your death? I wouldn't be able to enjoy a coffee that's so wasteful tbh. Waste of money and resources. Really hope they get banned sometime or the company is forced to develop compostable ones. Its really not that much work to get a good cup of coffee without producing a mountain of plastic waste every week.

Another good reason to use the original capsules, they are fully recyclable! (and taste better)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Sync

Thargor wrote: »

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/mar/04/why-the-man-behind-keurigs-coffee-pods-wishes-hed-never-invented-them

The inventor of them is quite disturbed by it also, majority of people don't give a damn though as long as they get their fix! :pac:

Sync wrote: »
    http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/mar/04/why-the-man-behind-keurigs-coffee-pods-wishes-hed-never-invented-them

The inventor of them is quite disturbed by it also, majority of people don't give a damn though as long as they get their fix! :pac:

These are not the Nespresso capsules it's a different system. I drop my used ones into the new store when getting new ones. In work we get the used (commercial) ones collected. Must find out what happens to them as I think they are recycled in Ireland.

Don't think there is any recycling programme for the compatible capsules?

These are not the Nespresso capsules it's a different system. I drop my used ones into the new store when getting new ones. In work we get the used (commercial) ones collected. Must find out what happens to them as I think they are recycled in Ireland.

Don't think there is any recycling programme for the compatible capsules?

Not being able to recycle the compatible pods is the only thing that bothers me....hopefully we'll be able to recycle at some stage.

Super Valu pods are coming out best for me right now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Another good reason to use the original capsules, they are fully recyclable! (and taste better)

We use lots. How can you recycle them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

Allan45121 wrote: »
    Any reviews of these?

I don't think they are very nice and I've liked everything else I've had from Aldi.

It's not the format, but the materials used that seem to be the problem. All I can say is that the Nespresso capsules have never got stuck but the Lidl one and other ones I've bought in Ardkeen Stores here in Waterford have. I'd love to use them as they're so much cheaper, but I'm afraid of wrecking the machine.

katydid wrote: »

You can either drop them into the boutique or order a recycle bag online when ordering your capsules and then order a collection when they drop the capsules off

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

katydid wrote: »

Nespresso collect them for free when they make your delivery, or else you drop them in to the shop...

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Nespresso collect them for free when they make your delivery, or else you drop them in to the shop...

Ah, I didn't know that. I buy them online, but they are delivered by a courier. I must investigate.

• Advertisement

Bluefoam wrote: »

Now that's impressive.

Advertisement