Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl introduce Nespresso compatible capsules

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

Why do you say that?

<lovin' the direction this thread is headed>

Well in my opinion and personal experience the shops have 2 different target markets and demographics. I find that there is usually a difference in the income levels of the people who shop in the two shops. Now this is just my personal experience and opinion.

However I don't think that this opinion is supported by other members of this thread considering people were making comments about me being well off because I said I preferred shoping and purchasing the official nespresso capsules in BTs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Just to clarify the point I was making, while there is of course a crossover in demographics visiting both stores, their target demographics are very different.

There would be a higher crossover of people who visit BT's and Lidl / Aldi for example.

This is based purely on the locations of Dealz vs the location of your average Lidl / Aldi. Lidl / Aldi are both (mostly) destination stores aimed at people who have cars. Dealz are mainly high street locations (and usually based in a lower socio-economic area).

Loosely keeping to the topic of the thread, are the Lidl capsules better than the Dealz's one?? My above theory would suggest yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Curious or not

Interested to know if anyone has tried an original Nespresso capsule after using the Lidl capsules?

I have a 2010 Citiz and it now won't pierce the capsule. Not good. €116 to repair...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Interested to know if anyone has tried an original Nespresso capsule after using the Lidl capsules?

I have a 2010 Citiz and it now won't pierce the capsule. Not good. €116 to repair...

I have. Mine is a Pixie. It's fine.

I also have tried a proper Nespresso capsule after a Lidl one. Machine worked fine (Lidl capsule did stick a bit). I have a Citiz 2013 year. I won't be risking a broken machine to save a couple of cents (and get a poorer taste).

Nespresso capsule defo tasted better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Col_30

I bought the Lidl espresso capsules last night. They worked fine in my Krups CitiZ. I was impressed with the quality of the capsules. They fitted perfectly in the machine and dropped into the dump box no problem. The coffee tasted really nice. I'm not a connoisseur, but I think it's as good as any of Nespresso blends I have tasted. I'm thrilled that I don't have to queue up in BT's anymore to buy coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 nicky5mx

Have tried the Lidl capsule.......no problem working them in the machine.....would rate them 80% as good as original but at 50% of the price they seem good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

nicky5mx wrote: »
    Have tried the Lidl capsule.......no problem working them in the machine.....would rate them 80% as good as original but at 50% of the price they seem good value.

This would pretty much sum me up too. Not quite as tasty - but a whole lot frickin cheaper and easier to get a hold of... All in all, a thumbs up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Dsym74

Exact same thing happened to my 2010 citiz. Not happy. They are clearly not compatible.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hmm... 'New user' registers account to post about their negative experiences with Aldi/LIDL pods. Is this the new Nescafe marketing machine in action?!

• Advertisement

Hmm... 'New user' registers account to post about their negative experiences with Aldi/LIDL pods. Is this the new Nescafe marketing machine in action?!

Or maybe, like quite a few boards users, he searched for problems with compatible capsules and Citiz machines, boards came up. He read the posts, decided he wanted to contribute and registered.

Conspiracy Forum that way :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Interested to know if anyone has tried an original Nespresso capsule after using the Lidl capsules? I have a 2010 Citiz and it now won't pierce the capsule. Not good. €116 to repair...
    Dsym74 wrote:
    Exact same thing happened to my 2010 citiz. Not happy. They are clearly not compatible.
    He read the posts, decided he wanted to contribute and registered. Conspiracy Forum that way :eek:

'He' or 'they'? It's only a conspiracy theory, if it isn't true. :)

'He' or 'they'? It's only a conspiracy theory, if it isn't true. :)

But those on the conspiracy theory forum would tell you that it is only a conspiracy if it is true!!

Anyway, maybe its only the Citiz machine that has this problem as that's what I have and what these two 'nestle' employees also have! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Curious or not

I'm certainly not associated with Nespresso or Nestlé and my Citiz is broken following use of the Lidl capsules, an issue I will be taking up with Lidl very shortly.

I've discovered that placing a ring around the inside edge of the capsule before inserting into the machine allows the capsule to be correctly pierced, but its certainly not a permanent solution.

I've spoken with Nespresso and its either 116€ to repair or 143€ for a new Citiz including delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

My parents have a nespresso and got the Lidl pods. The machine doesn't pierce it without forcing down the lever. I'm not a huge fan off nespresso compared to fresh coffee anyway but the Lidl one (not sure which particular pod it was) tasted almost like instant.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Rudekid

I had exactly the same thing happen to my machine. I used Lidl capsules which seemed fine for the price and easy access, however when i tried to use Nespresso capsules they don't get pierced.

There is also a lot of leakage with the Lidl capsules. My water tray below the empty capsules always floods and my cup only fills 75%.

Have you contacted Lidl yet?

Rudekid wrote: »

Have you contacted Lidl yet?

Good Luck with getting anything out of Lidl for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I purchased the Ristretto pods recently. Didn't like the coffee, but additionally didn't like the amount of packaging and non-recyclability of the pods. Won't purchase again.

Plus, and if don't know if this in is my head or not, but the machine didn't seem to maintain the same pressure levels as when using a Nespresso pod.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭uberalex

dudara wrote: »
    I purchased the Ristretto pods recently. Didn't like the coffee, but additionally didn't like the amount of packaging and non-recyclability of the pods. Won't purchase again.
    It's a problem with many of the unofficial capsules, the plastic ones need to be in airtight packaging. I found the coffee to be ok but not nearly as nice as the real stuff. For the small price saving, I don't see the benefit. The only advantage is being able to pick them up in more locations.
    Plus, and if don't know if this in is my head or not, but the machine didn't seem to maintain the same pressure levels as when using a Nespresso pod.
    I agree, they don't seem to fit properly, and I am not sure they are great for the machine. The pressure thing seems also to be because they don't need to be punctured the way the official ones do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

This happened to me last year. I bought nespresso compatible pods whilst on hols in Portugal thinking that I was making a great saving. They wrecked my machine and I ended up getting a new one. I personally wouldn't use anything other than nespresso pods ever again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Cork Lass wrote: »
    This happened to me last year. I bought nespresso compatible pods whilst on hols in Portugal thinking that I was making a great saving. They wrecked my machine and I ended up getting a new one. I personally wouldn't use anything other than nespresso pods ever again.

there's quite a few different alternative coffee pods... they're not all €rap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    there's quite a few different alternative coffee pods... they're not all €rap.

I never implied that any of them were crap, I simply stated that following my experience last year I wouldn't use compatable pods again. That's my preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'm leaning in the same direction also. I got sent some Carte Noir pods to try and they suffer from the same issues as the Lidl pods. Additional packaging as they're not vacuum-sealed, non-recyclable. The coffee isn't actually too bad but I'd still prefer the Nespresso versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 tele2

I'm using the Lidl pods on a Krups Citiz model and they are working fine. My wife uses Nespresso and we have no problems interchanging. However I did have my Citiz repaired under warranty because of leaks and the Nespresso capsule not being pierced long before I ever used a compatible capsule and the issues with the Citiz model and leaks are widely reported on the net -see coffeemania.ie/faq/. All of the compatible capsules I have used here and in Spain and France use a different design that by passes the need for the capsule to be pierced at the back and only needs piercing at the front. Citiz models seem to have a design flaw where misaligned capsules damage the lever mechanism resulting in the capsule not being pierced at the front. This causes the by pass valve to be activated and hence the leak into the used pod tray. It is recommended on coffeemania that you pull the capsule whether Nespresso or a compatible one to the front of the machine as you pull the lever down to ensure correct alignment. IMO it's not worth paying for a repair when a new Citiz is €179 with 3 yr warranty. Don't forget that failing to descale regularly impacts on the performance also. I'm not advocating Lidl pods over Nespresso pods but I find it hard to believe that a plastic pods could damage a machine made of steel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Are Nespresso pods the same a Dolce gusto pods (will the Lidl pods fit in Dolce gusto machines?)

dickwod1 wrote: »
    Are Nespresso pods the same a Dolce gusto pods (will the Lidl pods fit in Dolce gusto machines?)

No, different systems and not interchangeable

• Registered Users Posts: 14,783 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

SuperValu are now stocking Bewleys and Robt Roberts brand Nespresso-compatible pods. They're no cheaper than the real thing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭jlang

Are there any easily available compatible decaf capsules?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

So far I've tried the Lidl capsules, Bewleys capsules & Carte Noir capsules and have decided to stick with the Nespresso ones. The price difference isn't that big really but I find the original Nespresso pods to be much much nicer.

• Advertisement

Slightly off topic but was in the new boutique on Duke Street today, well worth a visit. Nice tasting section right at the front!

Advertisement