Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl introduce Nespresso compatible capsules

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

Slightly off topic but was in the new boutique on Duke Street today, well worth a visit. Nice tasting section right at the front!

I was there today myself and bought some capsules upstairs and had a coffee while I was there. They had various goodies to go with the coffee like chocolates and shortbreads etc.

What's the story with the tasting section at the front compared to where they made me a coffee upstairs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

nc6000 wrote: »
    I was there today myself and bought some capsules upstairs and had a coffee while I was there. They had various goodies to go with the coffee like chocolates and shortbreads etc.

What's the story with the tasting section at the front compared to where they made me a coffee upstairs?

They were making up recipe coffees, so I got a very nice espresso macchiato using the new Cubania blend with a shot of brown sugar, very tasty!

They were making up recipe coffees, so I got a very nice espresso macchiato using the new Cubania blend with a shot of brown sugar, very tasty!

Were they charging for these? :confused:

nc6000 wrote: »
    Were they charging for these? :confused:

Nope, all free. It's the same in their boutique in Regents St in London.

Don't think I would have gotten 2 though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,786 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Anywhere in Ireland selling the Carte Noire capsules?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Allan45121

I read somewhere that folks were unable to use nespresso capsules after using the lidl ones.. Is this the case? Do they damage the machine?

Allan45121 wrote: »
    I read somewhere that folks were unable to use nespresso capsules after using the lidl ones.. Is this the case? Do they damage the machine?

My machine is fine after using the Lidl pods but I did usually have to use some pressure to get the lever on top down.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭indabunka

Allan45121 wrote: »

I have been using the LIDL capsules for the past two or three months now with the occasional use of nespresso capsules every now and again. No issues with the coffee other than it is not a smooth as the nespresso. There is a definite difference in capsule size as it requires additional pressure on the lever when loading the capsule. There is also a marked difference in the amount of liquid that ends up in the waste compartment compared to using the nespresso capsules and as of today I find that the nespresso capsules no longer work in my nespresso machine. The problem appears to be on the foil side of the capsule which is not being pierced when the capsule is loaded.

So do the LIDL capsule damage the machine?, it would seem so. The machine that I have is a Krups CITIZ

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Ellen Cam

Interested to know if anyone has tried an original Nespresso capsule after using the Lidl capsules?

I have a 2010 Citiz and it now won't pierce the capsule. Not good. €116 to repair...
    I also have tried a proper Nespresso capsule after a Lidl one. Machine worked fine (Lidl capsule did stick a bit). I have a Citiz 2013 year. I won't be risking a broken machine to save a couple of cents (and get a poorer taste).

Nespresso capsule defo tasted better!

I have also had issues with Lidl capsules - used them exclusively for the past 4 months and then when we tried to use Nespresso capsules at the weekend they wont work. Capsule is crushed and wont puncture so no coffee comes out. We've had to re-buy a Nespresso machine (€89 in Debenhams) as not worth repairing.

I'm contacting Lidl about this!

Ellen Cam wrote: »
    I have also had issues with Lidl capsules - used them exclusively for the past 4 months and then when we tried to use Nespresso capsules at the weekend they wont work. Capsule is crushed and wont puncture so no coffee comes out. We've had to re-buy a Nespresso machine (€89 in Debenhams) as not worth repairing.

Please keep us updated on how Lidl deal with this query! I have a Citiz and the Lidl capsules don't fit exactly in it (and they taste crap). So sticking with Nespresso original as would need to drink 40 coffees a day to make back the saving!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I quite like the Nespresso coffee (lots of choice & flavours) & I don't drink enough to need to save on the cost + theses three Nespresso shops close to home... Just sayin'

I'll stick with the original pods

• Registered Users Posts: 32 dave da rave

Ellen Cam wrote: »

I have seen a solution to this, albeit a fixer-uper.
    take a small elastic band (thumb sized diameter) and place around the collar of the genuine nespresso capsule below the lip of the foil top). the elastic should maintain the water seal but it thickens up the lip section and ensures the nespresso capsule engages fully. Should work, elastic is reusable. This fixes the front puncture plate, I assume the dome section of the capsule is being punctured (3 slits)? This is straightforward and not a major deal, still not desirable though.

if you do as above and the front is now punching but the back is not then you would have to do the following:
    insert capsule, close leaver, open leaver, remove capsule, place rubber band, reinsert capsule, but place one of the slits to 12 oclock position, close leaver and make coffee. this would be unfortunate but again would work as a short term solution. I see you bought a new machine ayway.

but yeah its kinda crappy, 4 months is shorter than I would have thought. The compatibles are thicker at that section and do not crush like the nespresso ones. thus it's like putting a wedge in the machine, over time it must force the cylinder/puncture plate slightly further apart than designed. I wonder if the compatable companies knew this would happen, then locked into non nespresso coffee. Note though it is not just lidl, I just bought Robert Roberts from Dunnes, same deal thick at collar and harder to close leaver than usual. The Robert Roberts coffee is excellent though.

are there any foil compatible capsules, ie made the same as the nespresso ones?

I have seen a solution to this, albeit a fixer-uper.
    take a small elastic band (thumb sized diameter) and place around the collar of the genuine nespresso capsule below the lip of the foil top). the elastic should maintain the water seal but it thickens up the lip section and ensures the nespresso capsule engages fully. Should work, elastic is reusable. This fixes the front puncture plate, I assume the dome section of the capsule is being punctured (3 slits)? This is straightforward and not a major deal, still not desirable though.

if you do as above and the front is now punching but the back is not then you would have to do the following:
    insert capsule, close leaver, open leaver, remove capsule, place rubber band, reinsert capsule, but place one of the slits to 12 oclock position, close leaver and make coffee. this would be unfortunate but again would work as a short term solution. I see you bought a new machine ayway.

but yeah its kinda crappy, 4 months is shorter than I would have thought. The compatibles are thicker at that section and do not crush like the nespresso ones. thus it's like putting a wedge in the machine, over time it must force the cylinder/puncture plate slightly further apart than designed. I wonder if the compatable companies knew this would happen, then locked into non nespresso coffee. Note though it is not just lidl, I just bought Robert Roberts from Dunnes, same deal thick at collar and harder to close leaver than usual. The Robert Roberts coffee is excellent though.

are there any foil compatible capsules, ie made the same as the nespresso ones?

Seriously you wouldn't be arsed doing all that to save 10cent per coffee!!

I haven't seen any aluminium compatible capsules and think this is either because Nespresso got some stipulation in court that compatibles couldn't be made of aluminium (think I read that somewhere) or also that it would prove that bit more expensive to use aluminium in place of plastic thereby increasing the cost up the the same as Nespresso

I haven't seen any aluminium compatible capsules and think this is either because Nespresso got some stipulation in court that compatibles couldn't be made of aluminium (think I read that somewhere) or also that it would prove that bit more expensive to use aluminium in place of plastic thereby increasing the cost up the the same as Nespresso

Ah not really expecting you to do it. That's what you can do if the machine breaks like yours and you want to use official nespresso capsules. I'm in the same camp, not worth breaking machine just to save 15c, think i'll be ordering nespresso online delivery once I finish the 20 Roberts capsules I have. That's the problem Galway has no nespresso store.

all the compatible companies need to do is make the collar/lip section a little thinner and it would be fit the same as the nespresso ones.

you might find this an interesting read: (2nd last post)
    singleservecoffeeforums.com/citiz-not-puncturing-capsules-just-get-water-t8266.html

I meant to ask: when you made a coffee with the lidl capsules, did you always eject the last pod or regularly leave pod in the engaged position, until next coffee?

Just wondering as my parents have been using the lidl ones exclusively for about the same time.

I meant to ask: when you made a coffee with the lidl capsules, did you always eject the last pod or regularly leave pod in the engaged position, until next coffee?

Just wondering as my parents have been using the lidl ones exclusively for about the same time.

I always eject the capsule after each use, never leave it in the engaged position as I would imagine this would put pressure on the mechanism.

I always eject the capsule after each use, never leave it in the engaged position as I would imagine this would put pressure on the mechanism.

Yep my thoughts exactly. I was hoping you hadn't ejected every time. Better get the folks to check if they can still run genuine nespresso capsules.

Hi all, I too always eject the capsules after every use to clean out the machine.

Update from my issue ( coffee machine not working after using Lidl capsules) - I contact Lidl who are sending out some forms to me to complete regarding the model of my machine and any other info, they are looking into it, funnily enough they had the same complaint from someone else that day also (they told me as they thought it might have been my husband as complaint was from the same area and they wanted to make sure wasn't the same complaint). Id imagine this is all going to take some weeks to complete but I will keep you posted, not going to let it go as I think I have a valid issue here.

Thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭indabunka

Update from my position. I contacted Nespresso and was upfront about the issues. They stated that there is nothing they can do as I used capsules other than nespresso. Had the machine gone faulty under warranty they would have fixed it free of charge and sent a replacement machine in the interim. As my machine is out of warranty they will fix it for 79.00 stg and send a replacement machine in the interim. 6 month guarantee on the replacement parts only. They state that the issue is probably a slight strain in the plunging mechanism caused by the lidl capsules not being compatible. The strain means that there is not a perfect seal when I put a nespresso capsule in the machine. They also claim that if the capsule is left in the plunger (which I regularly do through forgetfulness) the coffee in the capsule swells and can damage the plunging mechanism.
    Rather than paying the 79 stg to have it fixed I have taken the hit and purchased a DeLonghi Lattissima and can honestly say that because I like milk with my coffee the DeLonghi appears to be far superior in every way for my tastes. So no more Lidl capsules and no more leaving the capsule in the plunger
    Lesson learnt!

Indabunka, I would follow up with Lidl as I have. It is through their false claims that their capsules are compatible that we have run into these issues, I haven't even contacted Nespresso as it is no fault of theirs.

I am expecting compensation for the fact that I had to purchase a new machine.

The more that complain to them the better.

• Advertisement

Yep my thoughts exactly. I was hoping you hadn't ejected every time. Better get the folks to check if they can still run genuine nespresso capsules.

Just following up on this. Bought some nespresso capsules, tried them in my parents machine (Magimix CitiZ). works no problem. Definitely easier to close the leaver.

My parents have been using the lidl brand for the past 5+ months (basically since they came out) 90% of those have been the blue longo capsule. I made 3 different flavours in a row all worked no issues punched fully back and front.

To my shock they also are the very sort to leave the capsule in the chamber after the last coffee is made! So, this is really the worst case scenario and all works perfectly, no damage to report.

Maybe just some machines are affected, a slight variation in the machine manufacturing/tolerances of the chamber mechanism. I don't think in anyway nespresso is liable, you might be on to something re lidl, they claim they are compatible, I suppose they are but the caveat is you may be stuck running compatibles only from then on.

Lidl: "try our nespresso compatible capsules, once you do you'll never look back" (because you can't! shhh)

It's not just lidl, the Robert Roberts compatibles are just as hard to close and are as expensive as nespresso but available in Dunnes.

2 REQUESTS:
    1) To Nespresso: Make the damn capsules available in more locations I don't always wanna spend €70 to avail of free postage. I can receive postage at work but not all can. Also who the feck buys coffee via postal service??? I mean seriously!

2) To Compatable capsule manufactures: Buy a nespresso machine! Make the plastic lip thinner!!! Test until the closing action feels the same (perhaps use a force gauge to measure and allow for an acceptable amount of standard deviation), stop breaking our machines, this is basic engineering 101.

Just following up on this. Bought some nespresso capsules, tried them in my parents machine (Magimix CitiZ). works no problem. Definitely easier to close the leaver.

My parents have been using the lidl brand for the past 5+ months (basically since they came out) 90% of those have been the blue longo capsule. I made 3 different genuine nespresso coffees (all different flavours) in a row, all worked no issues, punched fully back and front.

To my shock they also are the very sort to leave the capsule in the chamber after the last coffee is made! So, this is really the worst case scenario and all works perfectly, no damage to report.

Maybe just some machines are affected, a slight variation in the machine manufacturing/tolerances of the chamber mechanism. I don't think in anyway nespresso is liable, you might be on to something re lidl, they claim they are compatible, I suppose they are but the caveat is you may be stuck running compatibles only from then on.

Lidl: "try our nespresso compatible capsules, once you do you'll never look back" (because you can't! shhh)

It's not just lidl, the Robert Roberts compatibles are just as hard to close and are as expensive as nespresso but available in Dunnes.

2 REQUESTS:
    1) To Nespresso: Make the damn capsules available in more locations I don't always wanna spend €70 to avail of free postage. I can receive postage at work but not all can. Also who the feck buys coffee via postal service??? I mean seriously!

2) To Compatable capsule manufactures: Buy a nespresso machine! Make the plastic lip thinner!!! Test until the closing action feels the same (perhaps use a force gauge to measure and allow for an acceptable amount of standard deviation), stop breaking our machines, this is basic engineering 101.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Hi all, a few posters mentioned there was a quick fix solution using a rubber band or changing the shape of the nespresso capsules to fix a "broken" machine.
    Unknown to me, someone had been using compatible pods from lidl and I believe it's damaged the machine we have. Original nespresso caps aren't working.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get a genuine capsule to work again using above mentioned methods. Can someone post a how to or picture?
    I'd really appreciate it. Otherwise the machine goes in the bin.

Cheers,

• Registered Users Posts: 17,074 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Only just happened on this thread. I have a pixie, and for most of its life (2 years) it has been operated with compatible pods from France. Having tried several brands, the one I favour is Planteur des Tropiques, availabe on Intermarché supermarkets - I like a strong one, €2.39 for 10. For all the world, they look much the same as the Lidl ones which I have also used from time to time. Just put in a proper Nespresso pod, and not problem - worked perfectly. Maybe it depends on the type of Nespresso machine you have.

These Lidl pods are 3 for 2 at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I'm lucky, I quite like the nespresso range... So no damaging my machine...

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I'm lucky, I quite like the nespresso range... So no damaging my machine...

I like them too, but I find buying them a complete pain in the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,786 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

M&S have their own compatible capsules available now as well. More expensive than actual Nespresso pods though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

The people who invented Nespresso must read this thread or ones like it and just spend the rest of the day laughing maniacally rolling around in their mansions filled with coffee smelling money. Ye have been taken in by a marketing ploy albeit a superb one. How I lol at ye getting that little consumerist buzz as ye purchase yer nespresso in BTs.

• Advertisement

The people who invented Nespresso must read this thread or ones like it and just spend the rest of the day laughing maniacally rolling around in their mansions filled with coffee smelling money. Ye have been taken in by a marketing ploy albeit a superb one. How I lol at ye getting that little consumerist buzz as ye purchase yer nespresso in BTs.

Yes I can picture them now. As opposed to every other consumer based product / organisation.

And I'm sure all the Fair Trade Hipster Coffee sellers who get their beans picked at just the right time of the year then transported from the top of the mountain by donkey, then hand cleaned with a device handed down through seven generations, before it is delivered to Ireland via the Steam Packet company to said Hipsters who then are thoroughly disgusted at the prospect of having to accept payment and God forbid make a profit from selling said coffee to the great unwashed. Then have to go home and shower in cold water to wash the stench of consumerism off their furrowed brows.

Get a grip!!

Advertisement