Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your default lane for driving on M50 or other 3 lane road

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Ush1 wrote: »
    You can also undertake when the car ahead is turning right.

Not if a solid white line to your left though, ie, one seperating a cycle lane, fine though if the line is broken. This is glued in my memory, as it was the only question I got wrong on my theory.

Amazingly how many I people I see not aware of this, or just choose to ignore it.

Not sure if same rule applies to bus lanes but I'm sure it would.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Ush1 wrote: »
    You can also undertake when the car ahead is turning right.

Doesn't apply to motorways. Only where a car has to stop to turn right.

And yes to eamo....I'm sure it's only supposed to be when the lanes are crawling along, not where drivers nip into the inside lane to skip around a slower driver because they couldn't/didn't want to get into the outside lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,788 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

eamonnq wrote: »
    I think the key thing is here is the 'more slowly' bit, it does not say slower it says 'more slowly' which I would take it would mean that it only applies when in slow-moving traffic.

Exactly.. as usual with most laws it's sufficiently vague to allow it to be interpreted whatever way a judge, Garda wants but yes the context would be say a traffic jam where you may leapfrog a car to your right... as I said earlier, you won't get away with that defence on a motorway in normal heavy but moving traffic.

Regardless of that though, undertaking is incredibly dangerous - particularly on the M50 where cars will dart across multiple lanes at the last minute to get to an exit.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

An example of driving on a carriageway with 3 lanes (nothing actually happens in this video)
    There are usually some who drive correctly, but they are usually the exception.
    (at all times, I was driving below the limit of 120 km/h and waiting to overtake slower moving traffic)

Bonus: The guy at the beginning who doesn't appear to know where he's going!

awaits the barrage of criticism for something I didn't do correctly..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

could you put a disclaimer that tells people that nothing actually happens in this video.

I want those 3 minutes of my life back.

• Advertisement

1:02 - plenty of time to move left
    2:03-7 - Weaving
    2:32 - empty lane to your left

You asked :)

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    1:02 - plenty of time to move left
    2:03-7 - Weaving
    2:32 - empty lane to your left

You asked :)

1:02 - As I was driving below the limit, had I moved in and drove at the limit, I would have been forced to undertake
    2:03-7 - correctly changing lanes using indicators? whats wrong with that?
    2:32 - had I moved in, I would have had to almost immediately move out again, or as you call it, weaving.

could you put a disclaimer that tells people that nothing actually happens in this video.

Done.
    I want those 3 minutes of my life back.

That I'm afraid, I cannot do.

1:02 - As I was driving below the limit, had I moved in and drove at the limit, I would have been forced to undertake
    2:03-7 - correctly changing lanes using indicators? whats wrong with that?
    2:32 - had I moved in, I would have had to almost immediately move out again, or as you call it, weaving.

1:02 - I'm just saying.. there was time to move in and to be fair the guy @ 1:18 should have been in lane 1 all along
    2:03 - You were in the middle lane for about 4 seconds before moving out again (too early as well IMO)
    2:32 - You could have been in lane 1 for about 20 seconds before needing to move again (and again moved out very early IMO)

But that's me. That's also the M1 at a fairly quiet period by the look of it. The M50 would be busier than that most of the day.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    1:02 - I'm just saying.. there was time to move in and to be fair the guy @ 1:18 should have been in lane 1 all along
    2:03 - You were in the middle lane for about 4 seconds before moving out again (too early as well IMO)
    2:32 - You could have been in lane 1 for about 20 seconds before needing to move again (and again moved out very early IMO)

But that's me. That's also the M1 at a fairly quiet period by the look of it. The M50 would be busier than that most of the day.

I agree,
    Sometimes the constant lane changing gets a bit head wrecking when you have to keep going around the idiots!
    I'll always try and stay as far left as possible, but if the cars in that lane are spaced out enough that allows me back in, even for a few seconds, I'll probably just not bother.

It was Saturday, so fairly quiet, and nothing like how bad the M50 can be!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

default to the left most lane where possible.
    under heavy traffic, the rule book might as well go out the window, as people seem to try to stay or get into the lane that is moving. I drive most of the M50 every day, its like now laws apply. I gave up caring a long time ago though. In most cases, staying in the "fast lane" in heavy traffic on the M50 will take the longest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭crisco10

The M50 is 100% the wrong way around most of the time.....Outside lane is the slowest, centre lane is slightly quicker then left lane is quickest!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I stick left and have no problem undertaking although I try not to do it around exits and if it's a large vehicle I'll try overtake.

The way I see it if I'm doing the speed limit in the correct driving lane and I happen to undertake you then that means that you're a moron dawdling in the middle overtaking lane. And as we all know; two wrongs make a right ;)

During rush hour I don't even bother trying to get out of the left lane as people slowing and braking to switch lanes are the main contributors to the jam in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭neil_

The last time I drove on the M50, traffic in the leftmost lane was barely moving, traffic in the middle lane was moving at 60-100km/h, and the right lane was moving along more or less at the speed limit. So I sat in the right lane for half an hour; it would have been incorrect for me to be in any other lane. I moved left when the traffic had cleared up to the point that I could drive at the speed limit in the left-er lane.

I've never experienced this supposed phenomenon of the right lane being jammed with near-stationary traffic while the middle and left lanes are empty. It seems to me that if Dublin was really so full of cut-throat drivers willing to risk life and limb for a 2 second gain then.... Those drivers would just go into the middle and left lanes in that situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

Option 4, I get bad cases of road rage and want to kill everyone especially in rush hour traffic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

murpho999 wrote: »
    What if you were driving at night time when road is empty?

I've driven M50 late at night when it's very quiet and you still see people driving in Lane 3 whilst 1 & 2 are empty.

Well if the road is empty I won't be overtaking anyone so would be in the left lane.

Irish drivers are poor on motorways but I've not seen many much better. Germany on unlimited Autobahns was good but with light traffic. In France and Belgium I've seen lorries blocking 3 lanes as they try to skip a queue on a junction which is as bad as anything I've seen here. Nordie drivers don't seem to have much respect for which lane is meant to be which, weaving in and out however they fancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

iDave wrote: »
    Middle lane, happy medium sandwiched between terrified Micra drivers on the left and egotistical tailgating BMW/Audi driving w@nkers on the right.

Audi marketing department will be so delighted at this post and finally having their customers perceived as w@ankers. They have coveted that market previously forward slashed BMW/Merc for years.
    Big bonuses all round.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Left unless overtaking
    Idiots driving on the rightmost overtaking lane on an empty road makes me cross
    "but the middle lane is the driving lane too"
    No it isn't. It's been reduced to that but it's not officially that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Er? trick question, there is only one driving lane on the m50 or 3 lane road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kilmac1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Lane three as I'm either always overtaking or lane two when someone faster is coming up or it's clear for a while.

People are so slow. Well apart from the Mayor of Cork, I think he got pissed off one night when I was following his car at 140+ and he had to slow down because if I got pulled he it was obvious I was gonna say he was going the same speed. That said maybe he has diplomatic immunity or something?!

I drive a Fiat 500 with engine problems, why is everyone doddering about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Kilmac1 wrote: »
    compared to the mainland.

Where ?? :eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

eamonnq wrote: »
    I think the key thing is here is the 'more slowly' bit, it does not say slower it says 'more slowly' which I would take it would mean that it only applies when in slow-moving traffic.

More slowly and slower are the same thing.

If you're in the left lane and the cars to your right are moving slower than you, it's perfectly legal to over take on the left. It's not called under taking either, not such offense exists.

No ambiguity exists here. I honestly don't understand the confusion. The law is quite clear. You've applied some sort of qualification to "more slowly" which doesn't exist. It doesn't just apply in slow moving traffic or it would say so. Your interpretation is wrong, no interpretation is actually needed.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

...why is everyone doddering about.

Why is everyone in such a hurry?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Brian? wrote: »
    More slowly and slower are the same thing.

If you're in the left lane and the cars to your right are moving slower than you, it's perfectly legal to over take on the left. It's not called under taking either, not such offense exists.

No ambiguity exists here. I honestly don't understand the confusion. The law is quite clear. You've applied some sort of qualification to "more slowly" which doesn't exist. It doesn't just apply in slow moving traffic or it would say so. Your interpretation is wrong, no interpretation is actually needed.

More slowly and slower are not the same thing. More slowly would mean that something is going slow and something else is going slower again (more slowly).

Whereas slower would just mean anything slower than than anything else, if someone is driving at 200mph in the middle lane and someone in the left lane is driving at 240mph, the middle lane is moving slower, but not slowly, nor more slowly.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I wonder would express lanes work - i.e. lanes that start at one point and you can only leave it at another point well down the road. Used in the States a lot with some success

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Hermy wrote: »
    Why is everyone in such a hurry?

If you're not in a hurry why are you in the car?

Get a bus, take the train, go on a nice bike ride.

If you're not in a hurry why are you on the motorway, take a nice scenic drive.

But most of all, if you're not in a hurry why oh why are you in the outside lane!

Point taken though and tbh I stick my flat cap on anywhere else I just like to give it some welly on the motorway as thats the only place it has any :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,738 ✭✭✭✭josip

Use them all, the M50 isn't a motorway.
    It's a slowly moving car park.
    You can drive wherever you want.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭the nikkei is rising

Left lane is for cowards who think that 100km/h is 'close enough'
    Right lane is for those of use that understand that 132km/h is the actual speed limit.

Advertisement