Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your default lane for driving on M50 or other 3 lane road

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

Hermy wrote: »
    Should I commend you for being honest about your bad driving?
    And as you asked the question, what's to be done about it?

And fo what it's worth I drive in the appropriate lane at the appropriate speed for the conditions.
    Just as I thought. The kind of driver you never see on the M50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Middle lane 100klms an hour with a smile on my face. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

The manner he describes is not defensive driving.

It is defensive of your position on the road, which is not at all safe driving. Nobody owns the road, but some drive like they have every right to be doing the full speed limit (or more) at all times. If people drive in the right lane, leaving no gaps so nobody can get in just in case they get slowed down, then nobody in the centre can overtake safely.

The left lane is a write-off for safe driving and can only be used by trucks, people entering and exiting, and folks unwilling to enter the fray (but being prepared for ar5eholes who have tried to zoom past the group of slow movers just before their exit and pull left dangerously.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Falcon L wrote: »
    Just as I thought. The kind of driver you never see on the M50.

No you wouldn't cause I'd be keeping my distance.:)

Genealogy Forum Mod

The manner he describes is not defensive driving.
    My driving record speaks for itself. Never had a point on my licence, never had an accident. I've driven in every European country and many more. I've driven every class of vehicle. I've nearly 43 years of experience under my belt.

I am an adaptive driver. I drive to the conditions and as safely as possible. If I leave a gap that allows certain drivers to zip in and leave me on their bumper, then I'm in a dangerous situation and need to open a gap again. As said before, this frustrates the drivers behind and leads to even more dangerous situations. Driving too close is the best of a bad situation and one that I'm not happy with. But, those are the conditions and I will adapt to them.

Which brand do you drive then? BMW? Audi? :pac:

• Advertisement

That's just not possible in the middle lane. I'll be driving it tomorrow at about lunchtime, and can guarantee that I won't be doing 100k unless I have to overtake in the right. Thank fcuk for turbo engines. I used to drive a micra (I know, I know) at the same speed I go now and you become very aware of the fact that the crumple zone starts at the front bumper and ends at the back :(

If I leave a gap that allows certain drivers to zip in and leave me on their bumper, then I'm in a dangerous situation and need to open a gap again. As said before, this frustrates the drivers behind and leads to even more dangerous situations.

The point being that nobody should be driving in the right lane, so what does it matter if the drivers behind are frustrated? They should only be overtaking in it.

Shrap wrote: »
    The point being that nobody should be driving in the right lane, so what does it matter if the drivers behind are frustrated? They should only be overtaking in it.
    Yeah, but that misses my point.

I agree, in a perfect world, nobody should be in the outside lane besides drivers while overtaking. But that isn't the real world, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Poll only proves that people lie in anonymous online surveys. I drive almost entirely in the left lane. I am usually undertaking the slow moving traffic in the middle and outer lane. I am often doing this without speeding with traffic in the other lanes moving 20-40+ kph slower in a lot of cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Which ever lane lets me do 160kph. I duck and weave, overtake and undertake to get ahead.

• Advertisement

Yeah, but that misses my point.

I agree, in a perfect world, nobody should be in the outside land besides drivers while overtaking. But that isn't the real world, is it?

No, of course not! And I get your point, but it does rather highlight that the whole problem with the M50 is impatient drivers who think they have the right to do the speed limit and so stay right (or undertake) in order to achieve this at everyone else's expense.

BTW, I have 4 points for "speeding" as I drive mostly in rural areas, ie. 50k speed limits starting a mile outside a town with entrapment spots that the vans sit in. I'm now one of those annoying drivers who actually do the 30k limit through a town. Not in Dublin though, that would be suicidal!

...never had an accident...

Off topic for a sec but about two weeks after I got my licence (which is a long time ago now) I was stopped at a traffic light and allowed my car roll into the car in front of me. The cost of repairs was small but the lesson I learned about how easily accidents can happen was invaluable. The man who never made a mistake never made anything and all that.
    ...I drive...as safely as possible...

You don't as you've already admitted to driving too close to the car in front.
    Which brand do you drive then?

I used to drive a taxi!:o

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Irritating but honest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

I'm generally in a continuous overtaking motion so will spend most of the time in the middle or right lane and rarely get back to the left because its going too slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I'm generally in a continuous overtaking motion so will spend most of the time in the middle or right lane and rarely get back to the left because its going too slow.

What if you were driving at night time when road is empty?

I've driven M50 late at night when it's very quiet and you still see people driving in Lane 3 whilst 1 & 2 are empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

iDave wrote: »
    egotistical tailgating BMW/Audi driving w@nkers on the right.

We might be all tailgaters but we're not all egotistical.....just thought I should point that out

• Registered Users Posts: 17,530 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

When wondering if another driver is going to cut you off, if their car is an Audi, chances are good.

When wondering if another driver is going to cut you off, if their car is an Audi, chances are good.

Beemers also. It's a funny thing, since you really don't see such a high percentage of other high-powered cars cutting you up. I reckon it's an actual attitude towards owning the road that attracts such folks to the brands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I don't drive but I chose middle lane because someone has to be annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

Beemers also. It's a funny thing, since you really don't see such a high percentage of other high-powered cars cutting you up. I reckon it's an actual attitude towards owning the road that attracts such folks to the brands.

Clearly we just know how to drive properly

blacklilly wrote: »
    Clearly we just know how to drive properly
    blacklilly wrote: »
    We might be all tailgaters but we're not all egotistical.....just thought I should point that out

:pac::pac:

Off topic for a sec but about two weeks after I got my licence (which is a long time ago now) I was stopped at a traffic light and allowed my car roll into the car in front of me. The cost of repairs was small but the lesson I learned about how easily accidents can happen was invaluable. The man who never made a mistake never made anything and all that.

You don't as you've already admitted to driving too close to the car in front.

I used to drive a taxi!:o
    Oh, I never said I've never made a mistake. I can assure you that I've made many. Just that they've never led to a coming together. Was it skill? Was it luck? Probably a portion of both.:D

When I said I drive as safely as possible, I meant for the conditions, as I explained later. Best of a bad situation and all that guff.

Funny how taxi drivers are the same the world over. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    This defence won't hold up - "slower moving traffic" is intended as meaning crawling traffic, not cars doing 70-100 km/h. Overtake on the right. The only other time it's permitted to pass on the left is if cars are stopped to turn right.

Have heard that, but if everyone was overtaking legally, the left lane would be empty due to middle and right lane hoggers.

As for doing 70-100 on the M50. Last time I got that speed on it, it was 2 in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

People hogging the middle and overtaking lanes is one of my biggest hates on Irish roads.

Why is overtaking on the left considered dangerous?

Everybody is supposed to check mirrors and blindspots before moving into a new lane anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

eamonnq wrote: »
    Not very bad, but could be dangerous. It may well be illegal.

The danger is the driver in the lane to the right of you not looking or indicating and just moving into the lane you are in.
    Pedro K wrote: »
    People hogging the middle and overtaking lanes is one of my biggest hates on Irish roads.

Everybody is supposed to check mirrors and blindspots before moving into a new lane anyway.

Supposed to................

Pedro K wrote: »

Q14 When can you overtake on the left or on the inside.?
    A. When traffic is moving more slowly in the lane to your right

http://www.drivingschoolireland.com/answers.html

You actually can overtake on the left. Usually dangerous if someone is changing into the left lane from the centre and won't be expecting a driver coming up faster than they're going from their left. Although yes, mirrors are where it's at.

Oh, I never said I've never made a mistake.
    Didn't mean to suggest that.
    Funny how taxi drivers are the same the world over. ;)

Maybe not.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

You actually can overtake on the left. Usually dangerous if someone is changing into the left lane from the centre and won't be expecting a driver coming up faster than they're going from their left. Although yes, mirrors are where it's at.

You can also undertake when the car ahead is turning right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

I think the key thing is here is the 'more slowly' bit, it does not say slower it says 'more slowly' which I would take it would mean that it only applies when in slow-moving traffic.

Advertisement