Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which is safer and better Manual or Automatic Transmission cars?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

autobahn automatic

bog-road manual

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

How come aeonghus van pompous hasn't rocked in yet with the intricacies of the new Mercedes E class vs his very expensive 7 series with leather engine cover ?

Thread disappoints

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

flyguy wrote: »
    VAG group make a lot of cars, from Skoda & Seat to Lamborghini & Bugatti. Not all cars from same maker are the same, this would equally apply to gearboxes form the same manufacturer...

nah, same yoke , they must have sold millions by now -

http://www.zf.com/eu/content/en/great_britain/corporate_uk/news_uk/press_releases_corporate/press_release_corporate.jsp?newsId=22061416

i was waiting for aeonghus van to make an appearance too

How come aeonghus van pompous hasn't rocked in yet with the intricacies of the new Mercedes E class vs his very expensive 7 series with leather engine cover ?

Thread disappoints

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Auto clearly is the better user interface. Therefore no contest wrt road safety.

People who think they need 'the extra control' when nipping down to centra for a carton of milk or on their daily commute seem a bit delusional to me.
    The best are the guys who buy a 520d that you can only operate between 1100 and 1700 rpm but insist on a manual :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Boskowski wrote: »
    Auto clearly is the better user interface. Therefore no contest wrt road safety.

People who think they need 'the extra control' when nipping down to centra for a carton of milk or on their daily commute seem a bit delusional to me.
    The best are the guys who buy a 520d that you can only operate between 1100 and 1700 rpm but insist on a manual :pac:

Hmm. The only slushbox user-interface that didn't annoy me that much was the older Jaguar "J-Gate" setup. It's better again combined with the six-speed ZF unit, as opposed to the Ford 5R55N 'box used with the V6 before 2003. Personally, I find autos either change too early, too late or too "down" when I put down the boot. :pac:

Oh and, have a look at the torque-curve for the F10 520d. You'll notice that it makes well over 350 ft.lb. between 1,600 and 3,400 RPM. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭happy_knome

Prefer manual, but im just used to that,

I could be wrong, but arnt the automatic/ all wheel/ rear wheel cars, just sh*te in winter? They cant really handle snow.

i found that out today , you cant slow down the speed of a car in an automatic by dropping a gear like you can with a manual

that said i love my automatic for the most part , ireland has one of the lowest percentage ownerships of automatics in the world , we tend to avoid them like the plague

i found that out today , you cant slow down the speed of a car in an automatic by dropping a gear like you can with a manual...

Nearly all of them have a semiauto mode. And decent traction control and ABS makes much more of a difference in ice and snow than manual vs. automatic transmission, by the way.

cars14 wrote: »
    dolanbaker; are u saying an automatic doesn't select the correct gear?

it does but in extraordinary conditions , an automatic is too slow to shift gear , the advantage of a manual is that you the driver dictates the pace , this is a good thing in icy conditions etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I know it was hyperbole on the F10 but I've been told the manual experience on them is horrendous.

akura wrote: »
    If your brakes fail in a manual you can use the gears to slow down, I don't know what you'd do in an automatic.

crash like i did this morning

• Advertisement

Boskowski wrote: »
    I know it was hyperbole on the F10 but I've been told the manual experience on them is horrendous.

I wouldn't say that, the brother has a 2010 F10 520d with a six-speed manual. The shift is slick and sporty and overall it's not the most unpleasant piece of equipment I've ever used by any means.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭LeBash

Automatic Certainly makes it easier to fap when driving that's for sure.

+1

I always wondered how could i drive and pleasure myself. No for the average man driving on a long empty motorway its fine. But i like to do it in busy traffic while passing the 80's plus bingo hall.

Since then i have rated my automatic as my number 1 sex aid and my battery opperated vagina is now second fiddle

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I certainly prefer driving a manual car in snow and ice. Nothing worse than an automatic deciding that it wants to change gears for you as you drive up an ice covered hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

What are the terminally dull clarskonite hordes going to do when fully automated cars come in? Won't even be able to drive their jammers into a lake and end it all

Bambi wrote: »
    What are the terminally dull clarskonite hordes going to do when fully automated cars come in? Won't even be able to drive their jammers into a lake and end it all

Not a fan of manual, then?? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Manual for me.

Just don't like automatics.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Thread disappoints

He drives a bmw, well he says he does anyway.

Valetta wrote: »
    Manual for me.

Just don't like automatics.

I do like early-'60s American yokes like the delightfully ridiculous Buick Dynaflow, a two-speed unit with the torque converter doing most of the actual transmission ratio work thus knocking the crap out of the ATF. These are great crack coupled with the contemporaneous 7 and 8-litre engines. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

He drives a bmw, well he says he does anyway.

I always assume that anytime someone with an obviously forced and unfunny persona shows up that its the notorious ****ehawk flutterinbantam re-regging

anncoates wrote: »
    I like manual and the feeling of more control.

If your safety behind the wheel is dependant on the type of transmission, maybe don't drive.

You are incorrect with that statement, an automatic box keeps the car in more control than an manual.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

jimgoose wrote: »
    I do like early-'60s American yokes like the delightfully ridiculous Buick Dynaflow, a two-speed unit with the torque converter doing most of the actual transmission ratio work thus knocking the crap out of the ATF. These are great crack coupled with the contemporaneous 7 and 8-litre engines. :pac:

Mine's a 2.1L 6-speed with reverse left and up.

That's as technical as I get. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

We have an automatic. OH had driven a manual for the past 13 years and only got an automatic because I cannot drive a manual. He swears he'd never go back and has no issue with the transition back into a manual if he has to.

As for myself, I spent a solid year doing lessons and trying to drive a manual, and it was all to no avail. Car was constantly cutting out, I could never get going on a hill and general panic over gear-changing made me a danger on the road. Was fully confident and competent after two days driving the automatic. Left me free to concentrate on mirrors, traffic, pedestrians and my general direction without having to think about gear changes and a clutch (which I could never, ever, ever get to work right).
    Can say plenty that people who can't drive manuals shouldn't drive, but end of the day some people who can't drive manuals don't have public transport at their disposal and it's that or resign yourself to a jobless life in a semi-rural area :p

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

I've driven both, and got my license for an automatic. I done many lessons in a manual, but I found myself forgetting the gears, and for the life of me I just couldn't get "the bite point", ever! And I cut too many times to count at junctions, and put the fear of God into me!!

I'm a lot more relaxed in an automatic, and I can concentrate more on the road than worry about listening for the bloody revs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

I always said manual and sneered at those who drove automatics until some life circumstances stuck me in an auto back in the noughties and I would never go back to a manual now, not a chance and the main reason is: traffic jams. If I lived somewhere that traffic was not an issue (Nevada, Leitrim etc) then sure, but once you experience an auto in Dublin's 8am to 10am / 4.30pm to 6.30pm madness, you will never return to a manual. Having to change gear so often in traffic is hell. Now I just stretch out my left leg (wasn't amputated or anything, don't worry) and chill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

SMJSF wrote: »
    I've driven both, and got my license for an automatic. I done many lessons in a manual, but I found myself forgetting the gears, and for the life of me I just couldn't get "the bite point", ever! And I cut too many times to count at junctions, and put the fear of God into me!!

I'm a lot more relaxed in an automatic, and I can concentrate more on the road than worry about listening for the bloody revs!

I can't get the biting point either. I actually had one disgruntled instructor refuse to deal with me any more because I was hopeless!

They should bring back the double clutch.

The real double clutch I mean.

The father had an old Seddon Atkinson low-loader years ago with an Eaton Twin-Split. Now that was a gearbox that separated the men from the other men. :pac:

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I can't get the biting point either.

The biting point in a daysul is alot more forgiving.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Wossack

once the age starts to accumulate, and the hip starts to go.. driving becomes a tedious chore, and while stuck in traffic, I find I need both hands to whiteknuckle the steering wheel in quiet desperation at the pointlessness of it all - then maybe Ill consider a white-goods automatic

till then, Ill stick with happy-go-lucky manuals thankyouverymuch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭pcardin

Well, it's difficult to stall one at the lights I suppose and it does (usually) select the correct ratio for the speed and acceleration.

Ever heard of adaptive automatic gearbox? Steptronic? Shiftronic?

Manuals are last century and really belong to museums. Fine for culchies as on open road once the highest gear selected there's no difference. Can't imagine what fun you can have in city rush hour constantly jerking the lever. :confused:

• Advertisement

jimgoose wrote: »
    The father had an old Seddon Atkinson low-loader years ago with an Eaton Twin-Split. Now that was a gearbox that separated the men from the other men. :pac:
    I once had a Triumph Herald with a broken gearbox, drove it for several months before swapping it out (the gearbox not the car).

Changing into second was an experience that only an "old school" driver may remember as the crash box required the engine revs to match the speed of the road wheels to engage gear. I often needed both hands to get it into gear!

Advertisement