Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which is safer and better Manual or Automatic Transmission cars?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭CJ Haughey

I wasn't driving.

That is because i was, ease up on the sauce lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Can't run start an automatic.

Not unless you have Usain Bolt pushing it anyway.

Can't run start an automatic.

Not unless you have Usain Bolt pushing it anyway.

Cant run start most modern manual cars now either, you will ruin the dmf. The old carine e could take some abuse though.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

cars14 wrote: »
    I think Automatic cars are better as they leave both hands free to concentrate on the steering wheel. What do u think?

Slowing down in a panic is safer in a manual.
    Downshifting is a natural method of taking momentum gradually from the vehicle.
    In an automatic all you can do is jam on the breaks....after that the car just slides

CJ Haughey wrote: »
    Cant run start most modern manual cars now either, you will ruin the dmf. The old carine e could take some abuse though.
    Good excuse for sticking in a solid one.

If car manufacturers stopped trying to make yocks more like your living room comfy chair there'd be less eejits on the road.

• Advertisement

If car manufacturers stopped trying to make yocks more like your living room comfy chair there'd be less eejits on the road.

A solid and dual mass has no bearing on comfort as you drive unless your 1.9tdi is hanging, in which you need to repair your vehicle. The dmf was an unnecessary invention.

Volvo has a reputation of building the safest cars on the road, Volvo drivers have a reputation of being the biggest pricks on the road as they believe that they're safer (less likely to get hurt) than other motorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I learned to drive in a manual and drove one for about eight years. I live in the States now and drive an automatic because my husband and I swap cars and he can't drive stick.

I remember driving on the freeway about two years ago. The car in front of me slammed on the brakes and the feeling of panic when I braked in response but didn't have a clutch or a lower gear to drop in to... I thought the car would never stop and felt like I had no control.

I've always felt you have more control over a manual so that would be my preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I'm driving a car with a 'hybrid' gear box. When I'm going up a steep hill, I throw into manual and down gears. When I'm on a highway or in traffic, I have it in automatic

Volvo has a reputation of building the safest cars on the road, Volvo drivers have a reputation of being the biggest pricks on the road as they believe that they're safer (less likely to get hurt) than other motorists.

And how does driving a car with a solid flywheel or dmf make that difference?

• Advertisement

And how does driving a car with a solid flywheel or dmf make that difference?
    I was replying to a different post? :confused:

A solid and dual mass has no bearing on comfort as you drive unless your 1.9tdi is hanging, in which you need to repair your vehicle. The dmf was an unnecessary invention.
    They should bring back the double clutch.

The real double clutch I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Some old fashioned ideas about auto gearboxes here. Most modern cars with autos made by decent car makers (Audi, BMW etc) are actually more economical and faster (0-60mph) than their manual equivalent (tested by professional drivers so average joe would be much slower in a manual).
    The only reason not to get an auto is if it's a real sports car, only other reason would be price. As for safety, autos tend to be found in the more high end, high spec cars which usually are better equipped on the safety side as well.
    Most auto gearboxes have a manual option for (down)hill driving, engine braking etc, shame most drivers don't know how to use them.
    Anyone buying a BMW 5 series F10 and not opting for the magnificent 8-speed auto needs their head examined...

I was replying to a different post? :confused:

He was replying to mine :confused:

He was replying to mine :confused:
    Tighten your belt CJ.:P

Solid flywheel is way more comfy for in one respect anyway, the wallet one.

I've only had to replace two clutches in my life, and both were because of dmf failure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Manual is much safer than automatic given the ability to control your gears. I drive an automatic and I'm not all that partial to it tbh

Especially when driving in snow

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Prefer manual, but im just used to that,

I could be wrong, but arnt the automatic/ all wheel/ rear wheel cars, just sh*te in winter? They cant really handle snow.

I had a constant 4WD Mazda 323f Automatic (Jap import) a few years back during the really heavy snow and it was the best car I ever had in the snow.
    Heavy snow, packed ice, didn't matter, it just went wherever I aimed it.

It also had that engine braking mode as well. Which meant all 4 wheels dug in for easy stopping as well.

Never lost control once in the snow, great fun ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

An automatic box is far more intelligent than the average human being,

Being able to automate car gears successfully is possibly a slightly reductionist distillation of human intelligence.

anncoates wrote: »
    Being able to automate car gears successfully is possibly a slightly reductionist distillation of human intelligence.

Do you know how an automatic gearbox works?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Not intricately but I can vouch for the human intelligence side.

I suspect you are an angry automatic gearbox that has somehow achieved sentience and found an internet connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭HardenendMan

Meh depends hugely on the driver. For me it doesn't make a difference. Have driven manuals mostly. Latest is an auto because I do a lot of miles per annum and have gotten lazy.

TBH when you drive a manual your whole life the action of changing gears becomes "automatic" and sub conscious. Minimal effect on concentration.

I do I do ask me ask me!

anncoates wrote: »
    Not intricately but I can vouch for the human intelligence side.

I suspect you are an angry automatic gearbox that has somehow achieved sentience and found an internet connection.

Your surmise is incorrect, do you always overcompensate?

I do I do ask me ask me!

Ok how does it work in less than 138 words.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    I had a constant 4WD Mazda 323f Automatic (Jap import) a few years back during the really heavy snow and it was the best car I ever had in the snow.

It also had that engine braking mode as well. Which meant all 4 wheels dug in for easy stopping as well.

It's rare we get to exploit automotive tech such as this in ireland. You become really appreciative of it when it gets you out of a hole indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

K.Flyer wrote: »

I'm currently in Canada, driving an automatic on all-season tyres made for 8 degrees and warmer, in weather regularly 25 below... now THAT'S great fun

Ahem

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

flyguy wrote: »
    Some old fashioned ideas about auto gearboxes here. Most modern cars with autos made by decent car makers (Audi, BMW etc) .....

ZF make the gearboxes etc for lots of them , sameish yoke in the Iveco Daily

ZF 8HP70 BMW 7 Series (F01), BMW X5 (E70),Iveco Daily, Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 & diesel Range Rover Sport (2012), Rolls-Royce Phantom, Maserati Quattroporte (2013–)

Ok how does it work in less than 138 words.

Wow I feel like I'm tweeting with that word limit :-)

Torque converter. Planetary gear arrangement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

gctest50 wrote: »
    ZF make the gearboxes etc for lots of them , sameish yoke in the Iveco Daily

ZF 8HP70 BMW 7 Series (F01), BMW X5 (E70),Iveco Daily, Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 & diesel Range Rover Sport (2012), Rolls-Royce Phantom, Maserati Quattroporte (2013–)

VAG group make a lot of cars, from Skoda & Seat to Lamborghini & Bugatti. Not all cars from same maker are the same, this would equally apply to gearboxes form the same manufacturer...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Wow I feel like I'm tweeting with that word limit :-)

Torque converter. Planetary gear arrangement.

Now explain it in a haiku.

Advertisement