Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which is safer and better Manual or Automatic Transmission cars?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

jimgoose wrote: »
    Duly noted, chief - I'll hand in my license on Monday morning. :):):)

I only meant it in the sense that an auto is less likely to roll or conk out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I only meant it in the sense that an auto is less likely to roll or conk out.

That is true. Whatever you drive, be safe out there kids. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 491 ✭✭Dozer Dave

Neither is safer, the granny box is an easier drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

In other words, you almost have to relearn how to change gear as the gate is different and you sometimes end up in second instead of fourth, and as for finding reverse.... :mad:

Can understand the reverse bit, but 2nd and 4th? Nothing against you personally but every single conventional gearbox "auto centres" the stick between 3rd and 4th. I don't get how people actually move the stick left or right when they want 3/4. No matter what gear you're in if you push the stick fwd without any sideways pressure you'll get 3rd, back for 4th. Only other gears require left/right movement.
    Says something against most people having a licence without driving lessons (cause I think a lot of drivers don't know this).

flyguy wrote: »
    Can understand the reverse bit, but 2nd and 4th? Nothing against you personally but every single conventional gearbox "auto centres" the stick between 3rd and 4th. I don't get how people actually move the stick left or right when they want 3/4. No matter what gear you're in if you push the stick fwd without any sideways pressure you'll get 3rd, back for 4th. Only other gears require left/right movement.
    Says something against most people having a licence without driving lessons (cause I think a lot of drivers don't know this).

An old car I once drove had a three speed box with reverse where first should be and a gate that required a jiggle to move from first to second, very easy to get wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Not a fan of the auld bosca prundál meself. I don't think one is safer than the other

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

I'll never forget when I got my first car as a learner driver, some old eejit asked "is it an automatic". I felt like hitting the old c_ nt. Did I look that stupid or like a handicap that I should be in an automatic car. Just because his wife couldn't drive and he was driving her every where. All women must be stupid. ...............

lets us know when audi give you a quattro to play with

• Registered Users Posts: 13,682 ✭✭✭✭josip

All this talk of manual giving more control reminds me of those silly arguments about whether it was better to use a computer using comand line commands or just clicking on an icon.

At the time most of the bluster was for the purity of the command line, the better connection with the program, etc.

Manual drivers are Luddite's just like Dos users were. Learn to keep up with progress.

My automatic has all wheel drive so is better on ice than both front and rear wheel drive. Keep up - or are you too busy playing with your stick?

Most IT professionals and "power users" would be fairly comfortable using the command line and would usually be more efficient than using a GUI.
    GUI users tend to be happy to use a computer within a narrower spectrum of capabilities and not require as much from a computer.
    Like manual and auto.

I say "usually" and "tend to" because there will always be some exceptions

I drive a manual, taught by a Mk I Fiesta.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 969 ✭✭✭JacquesDeLad

Automatic frees up a hand for whatever you might need to do with your hand that doesn't involve driving.:)

You'd be amazed the things you can get done in a traffic jam if you're driving an automatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭blingrhino

EazyD wrote: »
    It all depends on the car in question. A large luxobarge needs an automatic, anything remotely sporty should be a manual. Neither is better or worse for concentration (and if it is you shouldn't be driving).

I have a golf R dsg - absolute heaven and quicker than the manual version .

Still no one can come up with a sensible argument for manual over auto .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

Manual all the way...why? because i love the connected feeling to the machine!

and **** it give me 2 gearboxes a 2 stroke diesel and some jake brakes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU3gZGUInd4

Automatics are better when you have a clutch fail! :mad:

Advertisement