Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which is safer and better Manual or Automatic Transmission cars?

Options
  • 28-02-2015 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

I think Automatic cars are better as they leave both hands free to concentrate on the steering wheel. What do u think?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭CJ Haughey

If the blade and track motors are on the same end its a death trap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Manual for the drifting laaaddd

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Depends on the driver and their ability to react.

Imo automatics lead to a false sense of security and I've driven both

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

People who can't operate a gearshift should ride the bus instead.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Prefer manual, but im just used to that,

I could be wrong, but arnt the automatic/ all wheel/ rear wheel cars, just sh*te in winter? They cant really handle snow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Aren't cars great though Ted?

Manual for the drifting laaaddd

Welded diff ftw.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Manual's more fun and much better if you live in an area where you can actually drive a car. But, if most of your time driving is spent in rush hour, stop-start traffic and you're not using automatic, you're doing it wrong.

CJ Haughey wrote: »
    Welded diff ftw.

If the crossroads empty, give her plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Manual, better fuel economy, more control over the car. Makes you more engaged in the driving process instead of leaving your other hand free to text while driving as in an automatic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

cars14 wrote: »
    I think Automatic cars are better as they leave both hands free to concentrate on the steering wheel. What do u think?

Automatic Certainly makes it easier to fap when driving that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭cars14

''blade and track motors are on the same end'' C J Haughey; what does this mean?

No fun to be had driving the granny box.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Prefer manual, but im just used to that,

I could be wrong, but arnt the automatic/ all wheel/ rear wheel cars, just sh*te in winter? They cant really handle snow.

They need snow tyres more than a manual where you can adjust to handle it most of the time.

''blade and track motors are on the same end'' C J Haughey; what does this mean?

Most cars have a death blade attached to the front of the tracks, could cause injury if improperly used

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Automatic rules

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

if you actually enjoy driving a car choose manual

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

In theory, I llike automatics. In practice, in 25 years I've never driven one that didn't annoy me. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

automatic is the next step up from cycling

Years driving = 35
    Manual = 34 11 months
    Automatic = 1 month

I'm more used to manuals, as it was the first time I ever drove an automatic was in the late 70s and then the brake pedal was wide ??? so you could brake with your "clutch" foot.

Have you ever put your foot down on the "clutch" in an automatic car! It stops rather quickly. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I'll ask my chauffeur which he prefers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

I don't know which is statistically safer. Is there any data?
    I suppose the one which reduces deaths and injuries is the best.

P.S. I can't drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

First time I ever drove an automatic, I was always instinctively groping for the clutch with my left foot. It annoyed me no end. I couldn't get used to it at all. Plus, it just felt like driving a dodgem or something. I much prefer manual. Easier on the juice and gives a feeling of being involved in the driving process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

Men drive manual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I like manual and the feeling of more control.

If your safety behind the wheel is dependant on the type of transmission, maybe don't drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

househero wrote: »
    Men drive manual
    Does this mean????

Is this thread REALLY about cars?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

cars14 wrote:

if you are not able to concentrate on driving and changing gear maybe you should stick to the bus??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Panda_Turtle

Manuals are so much better on hilly roads and just generally driving along Irish roads.

But If there is lots of traffic and wide flat streets then maybe automatic is easier hence the popularity in the USA etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

Years driving = 35
    Manual = 34 11 months
    Automatic = 1 month

I'm more used to manuals, as it was the first time I ever drove an automatic was in the late 70s and then the brake pedal was wide ??? so you could brake with your "clutch" foot.

Have you ever put your foot down on the "clutch" in an automatic car! It stops rather quickly. :eek:

My first time driving an automatic was in my friends brand new Honda Accord.I took off with him in the passenger seat and at nearly 20mph i jammed my foot down on the "clutch".We were on gravel so the car went on a bit of a slide...I let him take the driver seat again straight away :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Manual for proper sports cars, but Auto for everything else.

I like big v8 luxury saloons, so auto all the way for me.

Advertisement