Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we make a correlation between Jack Charlton and Joe Schmidt?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,598 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Well another mind numbing display. But 10 wins in a row. Far better than Charlton ever achieved.

the most stupid thread I've read on boards gets re-opened - Jaysus - can we not enjoy a 10 in a row victory , without re-hashing rubbish about a different game, a dour football coach and the best coach in world rugby - ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Well another mind numbing display. But 10 wins in a row. Far better than Charlton ever achieved.

up the gicker -- you know your rugby :eek::eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

England kicked just as much as Ireland. There were plenty of half breaks by both teams that both teams defensively shut down. You're entitled to your opinion and all that, but my opinion is that your opinion is nonsense.

Murray and Henshaw broke that both led nowhere near to a try scoring opportunity. Box kicking it every 2 mins. Very much the rugby version of long ball. England knocked it on so many times, good job their handling wasn't the best.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,138 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

To gits bone and black menorca

Lads, give it up, you really haven't a clue.... if you think that game yesterday was a kick fest and boring id suggest you really don't know much about the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Paul Wallace actually used the Jack Charlton comparison on Friday on TLW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭OldRio

Gits_bone wrote: »
    Murray and Henshaw broke that both led nowhere near to a try scoring opportunity. Box kicking it every 2 mins. Very much the rugby version of long ball. England knocked it on so many times, good job their handling wasn't the best.

I see you stopped posting your drivel on the match thread following our try. Never mind. It takes all sorts.

OldRio wrote: »
    I see you stopped posting your drivel on the match thread following our try. Never mind. It takes all sorts.

It was a kick sure. And we continued to kick it.

O Shea talked about it, Hook talked about it. It was a kick fest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Did you close your eyes and ears when they also talked about the effectiveness of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭OldRio

Bye bye. Button pressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Folks first and last warning. Be civil or don't post at all.

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »

Lads, give it up, you really haven't a clue.... if you think that game yesterday was a kick fest and boring id suggest you really don't know much about the game.

So Conor O'Shea hasn't a clue?

OldRio wrote: »
    Bye bye. Button pressed.

Oh

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Did you close your eyes and ears when they also talked about the effectiveness of it?

Sigh.

Once again I never said it wasn't effective. In fact you'll find posts where I said it was effective.

So Conor O'Shea hasn't a clue?

Are you Conor O Shea?

If not, then the point still stands.

Are you Conor O Shea?

If not, then the point still stands.

I had the same viewpoint as COnor O Shea before analysis began.

Great defence. "Are you Conor O'Shea?" Lol.

Don't fool yourself, you did not have the same viewpoint ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Black Menorca

OK. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Black Menorca

Paul Wallace actually used the Jack Charlton comparison on Friday on TLW.

The bugger is robbing my lines. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

There is definitely some similarities between them which is a little strange, as Schmidt had leinster playing a nice brand of rugby.
    Not so with Ireland. The ball is up in the air as much as Charlton had it, not sure which boys got more height when hoofing the ball up in the air.
    Both were canny and set up their teams first and foremost as being difficult to beat.

Schmidt is much more media friendly.

He'd probably be closer to Tony Pulis in the modern game. Great in defence and full of workhorses.

• Advertisement

This is such utter nonsense. Last year we won 3/5 of our six nations games by 22, 23 and 39 points with a plethora of tries in all of them. It actually annoys me how people are trying their hardest to belittle the consistent success of this team.

This is such utter nonsense. Last year we won 3/5 of our six nations games by 22, 23 and 39 points with a plethora of tries in all of them. It actually annoys me how people are trying their hardest to belittle the consistent success of this team.

Like I said before the English game; people remember your last 2 games in international rugby and base that as your assessment. Short memories and all that... In truth we have been deploying a kicking game over the last few games, including some of the AI games, but it wasn't long ago before we were cutting France apart from the halfway line with ball in hand. The ability is there, but in tight games we're always going to play to our strengths, and with two best kicking halfbacks why not?

At times we looked to open up England with ball in hand, I thought our game was very varied. I think it's a little overshadowed that literally all our points came off the boot or result of the boot. But that scrum under the posts with the decoy runners off the scrum and then back into Kearney was sublime. England don't get enough credit for their defensive display - any other team and that would've been a try under the sticks, and it would've been a sublime try.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

In one way I think it's great that the team are winning and yet people aren't happy.
    We're getting used to winning and demanding so much more of the team.
    And I think it's the same for the lads on the pitch.
    There would have been a time when any win was a cause for celebration.
    Now the celebrations are less exuberant - kind of like 'job done, next please'.
    I don't know about comparisons with Charlton but I think under Schmidt there's good reason to demand more and I think we'll see that against Wales and in the World Cup.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Well there has been a big fall off in try scoring in this years Six Nations. Only 12 tries if you leave out the Italy games. Leaving out Italy in the years since 2000, 2013 only had 24 tries. 2015 looks as if will be 20-22 tries the lowest year of any year since 2000. In the 00's we had a level of try scoring amongst the five nations teams (minus Italy) in the 40's n 50's. This actually suits us as we're the best in the kicking game/set pieces/rucks/mauls/breakdown. Those five facets of play I'd say it's a gap to second place.
    Hence in the low scoring rugby we see now it's much more likely to be us coming out on the winning side.

Hermy wrote: »
    In one way I think it's great that the team are winning and yet people aren't happy.
    I don't know about comparisons with Charlton but I think under Schmidt there's good reason to demand more and I think we'll see that against Wales and in the World Cup.

Mine is merely an observation rather than a criticism. And in Schmidt's favour, top level rugby is going that way as a whole. Big men, leading to crash, bang, wallop.

Tactics change you know.

The level of kicking this year is insane. Also 4/5 players have changed from 11-15.

Hermy wrote: »

Thing is, from what I've read, it's not that people are demanding more, it's that they just don't like the way we're going about it. The step up in another gear is probably there, but that doesn't equal to sexy running rugby, which is seemingly what people want.

I thought that English victory was the sweetest of them all. How many times have they done that to us?

Tactics change you know.

The level of kicking this year is insane. Also 4/5 players have changed from 11-15.

Northern hemisphere rugby is devoid of ideas.
    Australia play the nicest brand of international rugby. Would be good to see them win the W Cup for this reason alone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

.ak wrote: »
    Thing is, from what I've read, it's not that people are demanding more, it's that they just don't like the way we're going about it. The step up in another gear is probably there, but that doesn't equal to sexy running rugby, which is seemingly what people want.

I thought that English victory was the sweetest of them all. How many times have they done that to us?
    That's the thing - winning rugby isn't always pretty. Sometimes it's an arm wrestle from start to finish.

And I don't mean to play down the English win - it was a sweet, sweet victory.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Rightwing wrote: »
    Northern hemisphere rugby is devoid of ideas.
    Australia play the nicest brand of international rugby. Would be good to see them win the W Cup for this reason alone.

Ah jaysus... I think I'll drop out of this debate entirely. You only have to look at the line out and maul defence to see all sorts going on.

Advertisement