Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we make a correlation between Jack Charlton and Joe Schmidt?

Options
  • 15-02-2015 5:26pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭

So he devised a simplistic, banal style of football, that required massive levels of fitness as all the players did was run like workhorses for 90 minutes and feed off scraps in the attack.

Watching Ireland under Schmidt against the top teams, we play a very unadventurous game, very pedantic in possession, a huge fear to be expansive.Rumbling forward in a 12 man game and feeding off penalties conceded by the opposition.

While in defence we play like lions and are very disciplined, considering the amount of pressure we put ourselves under.

This might be successful and may be the best option considering our player pol, but to mis-quote Pat Spillane, are Ireland playing 'Puke Rugby'?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Ah for fucx sake.

No. Just no.

I'm gonna say no

Did you watch this match at all?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Black Menorca

I'm talking about the trend since Schmidt took over. There has been a gradual closing of ranks, a minimalist approach.

First and foremost do not expand because that will put your own try line in danger. Keep it close, play ultra conservatively, feed off scraps and don't give an inch in defence.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,138 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Was Jack Charltons winning rate with Ireland over 90%

QED.....

Nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,024 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

The only co-relation that they have is that neither man was born in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The only co-relation that they have is that neither man was born in Ireland.

They both like wearing hats too

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

CatFromHue wrote: »
    They both like wearing hats too

Any particular colour?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

In the first quarter yesterday Ireland did play expansively, however the French were up very quickly in defence (legally or otherwise) which cut down a lot of attacking options. The French tacklers also seemed very slow to move in the ruck as well which helped slow our ball down and again limited what we could do.

Last week we were limited but we had an inexperienced 10 and to be frank didn't need to do anything more than what we did do, which was wear the Italians down. But for a downpour in the last quarter we may well have broken loose and won by more than 23 points away from home with a third of our first team missing...

There is a bizarre air of negativity amongst some posters which is strange.

We just beat the French at home for the first time in 6 years. We have won 9 tests in a row to equal our record. We have created more depth than ever before. We are the defending Six Nations champions. We have key players who have been injured and are now just back from injury and are unlikely to have peaked.

We're in a good place, let's stop looking for negatives that just aren't there.

Negativity is an Irish trait, we do not hold the mantle of champions well.

Also we have a brand new backline. It's eady to forget this, but only three of the current backs played in last years Six Nations. Henshaw and Payne are new to the team and Bowe and Zebo were injured or just not selected. It isn't going to click overnight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

bilston wrote: »
    In the first quarter yesterday Ireland did play expansively, however the French were up very quickly in defence (legally or otherwise) which cut down a lot of attacking options. The French tacklers also seemed very slow to move in the ruck as well which helped slow our ball down and again limited what we could do.

Last week we were limited but we had an inexperienced 10 and to be frank didn't need to do anything more than what we did do, which was wear the Italians down. But for a downpour in the last quarter we may well have broken loose and won by more than 23 points away from home with a third of our first team missing...

There is a bizarre air of negativity amongst some posters which is strange.

We just beat the French at home for the first time in 6 years. We have won 9 tests in a row to equal our record. We have created more depth than ever before. We are the defending Six Nations champions. We have key players who have been injured and are now just back from injury and are unlikely to have peaked.

We're in a good place, let's stop looking for negatives that just aren't there.

It is totally bizarre and completely ridiculous, I said it in the match thread, but there are literally no circumstances where people won't complain

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Was Jack Charltons winning rate with Ireland over 90%

QED.....

Nonsense.

There are far more draws in football than rugby.

Ireland in the Charlton era had a huge amount of draws.

Thanks for that, but nothing at all to do with my point.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

marco_polo wrote: »
    Any particular colour?

Dark and with a peak

inpho_00864328.jpg

_73577364_90999499.jpg

There seems to be a knee jerk reaction to jump all over anyone who may not like aspects they see in the Schmidt regime.

Why the ultra defensiveness?

Being a Nordie I'm not a Republic of Ireland supporter, but I do remember Italia 90, USA 94 and have very vague memories of Euro 88 but did you not all go wild getting to those finals? Was it not a great time to be a supporter?

I suppose my point even if Ireland did bore us all to tears with their brand of rugby (which I don't think they do anyway) but won a GS and WC, would anyone in Ireland care?

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Thanks for that, but nothing at all to do with my point.

I was correcting your original premise.

bilston wrote: »
    Being a Nordie I'm not a Republic of Ireland supporter, but I do remember Italia 90, USA 94 and have very vague memories of Euro 88 but did you not all go wild getting to those finals? Was it not a great time to be a supporter?

We went ballistic. We'd never qualified for World Cups before so of course we lived the moment.

But if you look back on Ireland v Romania, Ireland v Egypt, Ireland v Italy. They were p*ss poor games as visual spectacles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Can't see what's wrong with doing the essentials right, keeping things from getting needlessly complicated and everyone rigorously sticking to their task.

Ok, the attacking aspect may not have fired on all cylinders yet but the discipline in defence has made this team very very hard to break down.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

There seems to be a knee jerk reaction to jump all over anyone who may not like aspects they see in the Schmidt regime.

Why the ultra defensiveness?

Can't speak for everyone but from my POV, if you build a time machine and grow up watching Ireland vs France games in the late 80s/90s you'd understand. :)

• Advertisement

the discipline in defence has made this team very very hard to break down.

I agree 100%.

Just like Ireland under Big Jack.

I'd compare us more to Chelsea anyway!

Great coach who produces a winning gameplan for a functional and hard to beat team but with players capable of brillance when required.

marco_polo wrote: »
    Can't speak for everyone but from my POV, if you build a time machine and grow up watching Ireland vs France games in the late 80s/90s you'd understand. :)

So, like Charlton in his pomp, is Schmidt not to be criticiesd or questioned? Has he become exempt?

So, like Charlton in his pomp, is Schmidt not to be criticiesd or questioned? Has he become exempt?

Of course you can criticise him! For example I think he has got his No.23 wrong. It should be Earls or Fitzgerald.

Still you and others can criticise and others can defend him too if they like.

No you have a perfect right to criticism of the coach, as do I to find it a little bit puzzling based on a couple of admittedly scrappy recent games

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Are we not allowed to argue that you might actually be completely wrong?

We actually started off fairly expansivly yesterday it wasn't working so to me it is the hallmark of a good coach to recognised this and tweak the gameplan as France were killing us with turnovers out wide.

I was correcting your original premise.

You didn't provide any figures.

But i will. His win rate was 50%.
    Very good to get us to championships. Not good enough to win them.

Brian kerrs rate is 55% by the way.

Anyways that beside the point. There is no co relation between these two very distinct people in two distinct sports.

Charltons style may have been banal, but the performances whipped the nation into a frenzy between 88 and 94. I was a teenager of this period so i remember it very well. Performances did not matter, winning games and getting results were all that mattered.

We got to a world cup quarter final while not winning a game in 90 mins. ... did people complain that they werent been served champagne football. ... did they fcuk.

Whereas we are winning championships, beating BIG teams, and not just being "proud Ireland" who did well for sixty minutes before being rail roaded.

I remember THOSE horrible days of the eighties and nineties as well.

Respectful debate is healthy. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

I think the broader picture is that the game has evolved to the point where size and power are more important than skills.
    Ireland are playing the correct tactics.
    We are choosing to kick rather than get smashed by 16-19 stone backs in our own half.

Advertisement