Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai proposals to ban firearms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

yubabill1 wrote: »
    They'll probably all get promoted out.

Or they'll retire. Point is, they won't be fired over this, and seeking that is a fool's errand. And probably self-destructive as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭turismo2142

Sparks wrote: »
    Yes. The Law Reform Commission has one, there's one in the appendices of the only textbook on this chunk of law, the NTSA has one, and I did one after the 06 act but it doesn't include the 09 act.

The other 15 or 16 acts that make up the law that governs the use of firearms by licenced owners, however, you're on your own with :D

Thanks, that's relatively up to date. Was using the Legislation Directory tab in irishstatutebook.ie up until now. That makes life much easier. I feel a bit thick that I didn't do a quick google...

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭SVI40

bravestar wrote: »
    Don't want to go off on a tangent again but in the interest of factual information being present on this thread, that is simply not true.

• Instances occur where crime classifications are reviewed by GISC and
    classifications changed by a member either before it was reviewed by GISC or
    in some cases, following sign off by GISC;

According to the excerpt from the GISC report it has happened. Recommendation 4.17

I'm assuming by a member, it is a Garda of any rank, but if I've mis-interpreted it, then I stand corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭LikeTheseOdds

I really think the committee should be presented with the figures in a full breakdown and should demand they be made available as such. I know they've asked in PQs and in writing about different types shotguns, pistols etc but I mean actually submit a format they want filled. Ignore this if they already have an I've not seen.There should able be three data groups making up the figures. Licensed firearms holders, Dealerships & the 3rd is AGS/Army + other professions that require firearms for humane dispatch for example. I made a little spreadsheet that illustrates better what I'm talking about. I'm only in the sport a couple of years now so obviously my knowledge is limited and there's bound to be mistakes but you'll get what I'm talking about if you view the image.

I'll ask a mod post it as I'm under 50 posts.

http://i.imgur.com/fBsv5DR.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

SVI40 wrote: »
    • Instances occur where crime classifications are reviewed by GISC and
    classifications changed by a member either before it was reviewed by GISC or
    in some cases, following sign off by GISC;

According to the excerpt from the GISC report it has happened. Recommendation 4.17

I'm assuming by a member, it is a Garda of any rank, but if I've mis-interpreted it, then I stand corrected.

Yes, you have misinterpreted it through no fault of your own though. There are also 101 legit reasons why a classification might be changed.

• Advertisement

bravestar wrote: »
    Yes, you have misinterpreted it through no fault of your own though. There are also 101 legit reasons why a classification might be changed.

I don't deny there are legitimate reasons that a report can be changed, it would be madness if it couldn't, but there is no over sight on who / why a report is changed.

Is any rank of Garda able to change the reports in Pulse?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Gormley85

Anybody else get a letter from the sports coalition? It has a list of all td's/senators email addresses and examples of things we should be saying to them?

Gormley85 wrote: »
    Anybody else get a letter from the sports coalition? It has a list of all td's/senators email addresses and examples of things we should be saying to them?

Yeah, my club forwarded me an email earlier today including it.

Yeah, my club forwarded me an email earlier today including it.

No I got a letter to the house not an email. Figure it must be all NARGC members getting them.

I haven't been home yet so I'll see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

Or they'll retire. Point is, they won't be fired over this, and seeking that is a fool's errand. And probably self-destructive as well.

I think the protocol is get promoted and retire when the pension increment kicks in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

The heat death of the universe is an inevitable outcome too Grizzly, but nobody's advising anyone not to start reading any long novels because of it...

But still what is considerd radical crankness can with time become the norm. It just takes longer here than anywhere else.
    Yup. Now, how many of those half a dozen would want to (or for that matter, could afford the pay cut it would entail)?

Couldnt be any worse than the current wage I'm on being self employed..:D
    Anyone who thinks the private sector id the way to go here got another think..
    Am under the industrial average wage,again this year.:(
    So if that's how civil servants work, and we can work with that, why did you say above that
    :
    Because you are dealing with a different breed of civil servant,and one with way to much power to make arbitary decisions,and with very little knowledge to make a justified decision from hands on experiance.
    Because if you think the civil servants will be from the Department of Sport, I think you're mistaken.

They can be from the dept of agriculture,weights and measures and conformority of Govt issue tea cups and as anti gun as Dianne Feinstein.All they have to have is the ability to read ,understand ,and use the Net if possible and be able to deal with and issue paperwork without worrying that this decision might affect their career,or that someone up the chain has a political agenda and is ordering them to create artifical barriers or impose restrictions when there is none or no good reason to do so.Or that they have an ego problem and use their littler bit of power to be a mini Hitler to all and sundry.
    For the moment, I'd say that the fact that almost nobody can read the damn rulebook and the few that can have all spotted lots of places where it makes no damn sense is a more pressing problem than looking to hire a referee, even if that is an important problem too.

But if you have two parties insisting on two different interpertations of the already very nebelous rules,how is this sorted?
    Lying in a court is something that the courts take a dim view of, to the point where it's an actual crime. So that's a problem that comes with a predefined solution, all you have to do is prove that it's what's happened.
    (If you're looking for a solution where you can fix that without proving it, you might be there for a while).

I think a certain det Insp of a certain dept relating to firearms is in that situation at the moment,and apprently there is a whole lot more coming down the sewer pipe regarding AGS carry on with firearm liscense holders in a certain part of the country.So no problem there with the system and it is proving to be thankfully impartial.

And your solution to this is?
    (If it's "fire them all" or "get them out of licencing", you might want to rethink those, because the former would be political suicide for the Minister and career suicide for the Commissioner; and the latter, barring a massive sea change, will not be happening anytime soon).[/QUOTE]

Well,sea changes,do come about quite quickWhat I'm saying is dont rule it out outright.TBH alot of AGS will admit from from one of the CS[to me personally] down they havent a bulls notion of what they are dealing with and are relying on ballistics to give them a solution.So if they can do it without losing face,I would proably say its a idea going around the park.After all if they could accept 3 year liscsenses and an post collecting the fees???At one time this was a "security issue" that only AGS could handle from start to finish.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

You really dont have to hunt them either.Give them enough rope they go and hang themselves.As Bertie said "Its the little things that trip you up in the end."
    Seeing that my Super and Cheif are both "retirng for personal reasons"[Which is Irish speak for you are being told to FK off now and you will if you know whats good for ya,but we dont want a scandal either,so this is the polite way of booting you out the back door and giving you a chance to get into the private sector."]

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I thought that the "unlicenced firearm" bit referred to RFD's unsold stock...

Presumably the unlicensed category also includes firearms stolen from the Gardai and the defense forces because thier firearms are not licensed (and we know that some have been stolen).

From the NARGC facebook page.

PRESS RELEASE
    Sports Coalition Lodges Formal Complaint with GSOC Over
    Misleading Garda Figures
    The Sports Coalition, which represents most of the sports shooters in the State in the matter of firearms licensing, has lodged a formal complaint with the Garda Síochána Ombudsman Commission (GSOC) over what the Coalition says are misleading and inflammatory statistical data published by An Garda Síochána.
    The complaint also cites the use of deceptive photographic imagery depicting firearms that are not permitted for licensing in Ireland. The Coalition has forwarded a copy of the complaint to the Minister for Justice and Equality, Frances Fitzgerald TD.
    It is noted that the Minister has had to issue a further clarification on the figures today, which clearly indicates that a very significant number of firearms were in fact unlicensed and therefore did not come from licensed firearms holders.
    ENDS
    26/02/2015.

Dunno why they bother...GSOC as an appaling record with NOT investigating properly any firearms related issues in the Limerick/ Cork regions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    From the NARGC facebook page.

PRESS RELEASE
    Sports Coalition Lodges Formal Complaint with GSOC Over
    Misleading Garda Figures
    The Sports Coalition, which represents most of the sports shooters in the State in the matter of firearms licensing, has lodged a formal complaint with the Garda Síochána Ombudsman Commission (GSOC) over what the Coalition says are misleading and inflammatory statistical data published by An Garda Síochána.
    The complaint also cites the use of deceptive photographic imagery depicting firearms that are not permitted for licensing in Ireland. The Coalition has forwarded a copy of the complaint to the Minister for Justice and Equality, Frances Fitzgerald TD.
    It is noted that the Minister has had to issue a further clarification on the figures today, which clearly indicates that a very significant number of firearms were in fact unlicensed and therefore did not come from licensed firearms holders.
    ENDS
    26/02/2015.
    Shots fires :D
    Dunno why they bother...GSOC as an appaling record with NOT investigating properly any firearms related issues in the Limerick/ Cork regions.

May get some good press off it . But they are right to do so anyways . At least it can be said that they are formally disputing these figures.
    And just might stop all the ak47 pictures coming up in the papers.
    May just reduce the spin a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭knockon

It would be fair to assume that pictures of AK47 and all these instruments of war that appear on RTE are not put in by AGS when doing a press release? Press add them to sensationalize a story. We could certainly do without it.

Reckon its more the little piccie book they passed about to the comittee before Xmas. No doubt GSOC will find that not worth investigating or come up with some cock&bull excuse not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

Journal giving more info on Garda management shakeup

http://www.thejournal.ie/changes-garda-crime-investigation-1962318-Feb2015/

Seem to be getting some kind of compliance oversight regionally. Jury's out on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭tomtucker81

SVI40 wrote: »
    I don't deny there are legitimate reasons that a report can be changed, it would be madness if it couldn't, but there is no over sight on who / why a report is changed.

Is any rank of Garda able to change the reports in Pulse?

No they can't. Certainly not the lowest ranks. And they'd also have no interest in changing categories of incidents to suit statistical reports, as they'd have no involvement in anything like that.
    Now officer ranks.....where low crime stats in your district/division make you look good as the manager of a district/division, well that'd help you when going for a jump up.

• Advertisement

No they can't. Certainly not the lowest ranks. And they'd also have no interest in changing categories of incidents to suit statistical reports, as they'd have no involvement in anything like that.
    Now officer ranks.....where low crime stats in your district/division make you look good as the manager of a district/division, well that'd help you when going for a jump up.

Thanks for the clarification.

Anyone hear the good news out of the HC today???
    I t seems we WON yet again in 25 cases taken as test cases in the situation of the 5 or 10 shot magazine and the looks like a combat pistol bulloney. Apparently the state folded before even going into court as they knew they were going to get hammered again.
    awaiting more news on this

I t seems we WON yet again in 25 cases taken as test cases in the situation of the 5 or 10 shot magazine and the looks like a combat pistol bulloney. Apparently the state folded before even going into court as they knew they were going to get hammered again.
    The reason id say they didnt go to court is that would set precedence which would make it easier and easier to get 10 round mags in the future

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Correct me if i'm wrong but district courts are not courts of record meaning no precedence is set.

Regardless, i'm still wondering why people do not bring the issue to court. I can understand the need to take something if it's being offered and whether or not the district court is a court of record or not at least an actual win, and not some court step agreement, would be better. Surely?

Also for costs you'd need to have an actual hearing, and the recorded wins (whether a precedence setter or not) would stack in our favour.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Deaf git

I hope the Committee take note of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Deaf git

Cass wrote: »
    Correct me if i'm wrong but district courts are not courts of record meaning no precedence is set.

Regardless, i'm still wondering why people do not bring the issue to court. I can understand the need to take something if it's being offered and whether or not the district court is a court of record or not at least an actual win, and not some court step agreement, would be better. Surely?

Also for costs you'd need to have an actual hearing, and the recorded wins (whether a precedence setter or not) would stack in our favour.

Was it not High Court? Grizzly did say 'HC'?

Cass wrote: »

district may or may not not set it , but will refer to high court cases

id would say the agreement allowed the people to get their costs. But if it went on for a few days it would start to get really expensive on the state

Sorry I'll spell it out. HIGH COURT!!!!!:D you do then realise that it has shot down the 10 shot mag "could be " used in a 5 shot pistol and the whole "olympic style" pistols nonsense has been found out for what it is ,a fraud! This has some very far reaching consequences for AGS arguements on the shotgun mag capacity too.

As a person who has an interview on Monday to justify wanting a "military style pistol" can you elaborate on this please :)

• Advertisement

Ok from what I am being told it means that using the excuse of the high mag capacity,or potential high mag capacity in an unrestricted pistol is a null and void reason to say it is a restricted firearm.As it doesnt give you the opportunity to appeal this decision to the DC.As is the" looks like" a military/police /" non Olympic style" pistol concept.As there is nothing to say contry wise in the ISSF rule book as to what a pistol MUST look like.Am getting this 2nd hand and that seems to be the gist of it.

It is a "refer to Super for re consideration" again ruling AFAICMO.So you could end up doing the "DC shuffle" again.But there is the double jepodary now for the Super in the fact costs and decision could go against him too. So it has been equalised now in law.We can loose liscense and solrs fees,the AGS can lose decision and have costs awarded against them.
    Probly take awhile for this to be published in law or via a court guy[cant think of the title who publishes these decisions in a more tidy fashion:confused:]
    So the best thing is say to your cheif that he should be aware of this HC edict in his considerations.

Advertisement