Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-gay legislation proposed in Northern Ireland

Options
  • 27-02-2015 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-31076402

Over 1,000 people gathered at Belfast's City Hall on Saturday to protest over the DUP's conscience clause bill.

The crowd was addressed by politicians from Alliance, Sinn Féin and SDLP, as well as community leaders.

Paul Givan's private member's bill aims to create a legal exemption on grounds of strongly held religious beliefs.

He sought to introduce a "conscience clause" into equality law in NI, following legal action taken against a Christian-owned bakery.

The Equality Commission has brought a civil case against Ashers Baking Company after it refused to bake a cake with a pro-gay marriage slogan.

The row first emerged in July, when Ashers revealed it was facing possible legal action over its decision to decline a customer's request.

The cake had been ordered in Belfast by a gay activist for a civic event in Bangor, County Down, marking International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia.

Ashers Baking Company said it had declined the request because it was "at odds" with its Christian beliefs.

Mr Givan argued that the law had to be rebalanced.

He said it was a choice between a society "that can make space for difference or one that is intolerant".

Mr Givan said the Equality Commission's legal action had "created a hierarchy of rights where all minorities are not to be treated equally".

There is a petition against this bill here - https://go.allout.org/en/a/northern-ireland/?akid=4876.930814.Z_Tytv&rd=1&t=1&utm_campaign=northern-ireland&utm_content=english&utm_medium=email&utm_source=actionsuite

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Some people in that part of the island really are stuck in the dark ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

NI is fast becoming this island's equivalent of America's deep south.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭Mr. Remote Control

My name is Kevin. When I am older I want to be a biscuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭O'Neill

The North is stuck behind no doubt about it, but are you seriously judging the entire population over this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭CJ Haughey

Why settle for being a biscuit when you could be a cake. Dream big.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

Fitting choice, i bet you'll crumble under pressure though

CJ Haughey wrote: »
    Why settle for being a biscuit when you could be a cake. Dream big.

Hmmmm. Yeah; yeah - I guess your right! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Is a chocolate biscuit cake more cake or biscuit?

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Is a chocolate biscuit cake more cake or biscuit?

Moooooaar cake and biscuit!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Imagine trying to have functioning Dail if there was a unification of the 32 counties. Instead of discussing important economic matters. I have a feeling, there would be a lot of debating over **** like this. Like the only reason why this law is being proposed as its clearly the views of a sizeable minority of NI.

How is that England is liberal and yet NI is so backwards. They both have Church of Ireland/Catholics. But their social views are literally polar opposites.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

osarusan wrote: »
    Some people in that part of the island really are stuck in the dark ages.

Shouldn't they be bombed then, like the Russians and all Muslims?

Moar cake!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭CJ Haughey

hfallada wrote: »

How is that England is liberal and yet NI is so backwards.

The backwards man has a strong voice up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Imagine trying to have functioning Dail if there was a unification of the 32 counties. Instead of discussing important economic matters. I have a feeling, there would be a lot of debating over **** like this. Like the only reason why this law is being proposed as its clearly the views of a sizeable minority of NI.

How is that England is liberal and yet NI is so backwards. They both have Church of Ireland/Catholics. But their social views are literally polar opposites.
    For many in the DUP, Anglican and Roman Catholic are more or less the same thing. Different demographic altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

Why don't ye say the obvious, the objections to equality come from Unionist reps not Nationalist or Alliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

How is that England is liberal and yet NI is so backwards. They both have Church of Ireland/Catholics.
    NI is 60%+ Catholic and Presbyterian.

Neither come from the English tradition.

Only about 12% of Northern Ireland is Church of England (Ireland).

The latter have a totally different ethos altogether to Presbyterians and Catholics

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭postitnote

The vocal crackpots up here are not representative of the rest of us. I am ashamed and appalled at the DUP and this 'Conscience' clause.

Most of us prefer to keep our heads down and get on with life. It's these bigots that ruin it for everyone.

I plead with everyone with an actual conscience to sign the petition and show these dinosaurs there's no place for their archaic views.

https://go.allout.org/en/a/northern-ireland/?akid=4876.930814.Z_Tytv&rd=1&t=1&utm_campaign=northern-ireland&utm_content=english&utm_medium=email&utm_source=actionsuite

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭md23040

Not that I agree with this nonsense but why don't you go onto a Muslim cafe and demand a bacon buttie or else go into a kosher bakery and ask for a National Front style cake with a big swastika on it and see how far you get in Liberal UK or anywhere else for that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

O'Neill wrote: »
    The North is stuck behind no doubt about it, but are you seriously
    judging the entire population over this?

Not the whole population just the large % who gave the DUP a vote.

Unfortunately in a democracy you get the politicians you elect and in this case I think it's bringing NI's whole image abroad into disrepute
    This aspect of unionism is going to alienate itself from the UK as it seems to represent something totally "foreign" to modern British (and Irish) values.

Are they planning a union with the US bible belt ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I'd add on the plus side it removes NI as a serious competitor for FDI as with laws like that being proposed you'll make it very unattractive to companies wanting to recruit from abroad on areas like the IT sector, serious side of financial services, make it harder to recruit high level academics into universities etc etc etc

So basically the DUP have just made Dublin, Cork, Galway and of course Glasgow, Edinburgh etc etc much more attractive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Anything that stops bitchy offence seekers from trumping up charges against hard working honest business people is fine with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

NI is fast becoming this island's equivalent of America's deep south.

Becoming?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Daith

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Anything that stops bitchy offence seekers from trumping up charges against hard working honest business people is fine with me.

They're not honest business people if they're breaking equality laws when it comes to doing business.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Daith wrote: »
    They're not honest business people if they're breaking equality laws when it comes to doing business.

The law is clearly an ass given that such a thing as simply refusing business can create such a sh1testorm.

The law is clearly an ass given that such a thing as simply refusing business can create such a sh1testorm.

Don't care. Calling them "honest" businessman is incorrect. You want to do business, operate a business, you follow the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

If you're in business why would you refuse business?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

If they were refused service because they were women or because they were black, would you think it was inappropriate then? What if because they had red hair? Or freckles?

Pherekydes wrote: »
    If you're in business why would you refuse business?

People can refuse business. The reason for refusing is the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Daith wrote: »
    People can refuse business. The reason for refusing is the issue.

List some valid reasons...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Pherekydes wrote: »
    List some valid reasons...

'I don't like the look of you'

Advertisement