Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trocaire Boxes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

There really are a lot of despicable posters in AH, a charity trying to help some of the poorest people in the world and you have people saying they will fill the boxes with all sorts of rubbish and all because of their anti-catholic agenda, pure and utter scumbags.

Tell me what percentage does the people in need actually get from the donations? Its all a scam especially a lot of the Africa orientated charities and a lot of these charities line their own pockets with most of the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

There really are a lot of despicable posters in AH, a charity trying to help some of the poorest people in the world and you have people saying they will fill the boxes with all sorts of rubbish and all because of their anti-catholic agenda, pure and utter scumbags.

Trocaire, like many "charity" setups, are a despicable shower of hypocrites who love wrapping themselves up in sanctimonious do-goodery while scamming a very good living out of people's good nature. The God-botherers would do well to leave decent people alone. And I am not anti-Catholic, I'm anti-Asshole.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

The things some people choose to get worked up about!

No-one has ever, to my knowledge, been in way forced to put anything into a Trocaire box....in fact you don't even have to take one if you don't want to.

That some people think it's good enough to get a box just to fill it with contraceptives and other rubbish is worrying....it would make me question their maturity tbh.

Whos worked up?
    Theres a little concern and bemusement that a charity who claim to help victims of overpopulation attributed famine, poverty and HIV have affiliation to a religion which stands against contraception, family planning and HIV resisting condoms.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭CJ Haughey

That some people think it's good enough to get a box just to fill it with contraceptives and other rubbish is worrying....it would make me question their maturity tbh.

Filling them with money is only lining the pockets of the parish priest and the ceos etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

CJ Haughey wrote: »
    What are you filling your one with this year, im filling mine with condoms anyway. The durex real feel no less none of them lidl rubbish. Have a better chance of my contributions reaching Africa than if i filled it with money.
    We actually have one all year round.

Actually this year I have decided to prioritize charities that give vaccinations to kids. I think it's something that for a little jab protects that child and the community for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Wonder why schools don't champion homeless charities or the St Vincent's ,
    Something that actually relates to students .

The whole oh look at the poor staving African babies belongs in the 1950's.
    and certainly shouldn't be pushed on to 5 year old school children .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Great place to get rid of coppers.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭thehouses

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Tell me what percentage does the people in need actually get from the donations? Its all a scam especially a lot of the Africa orientated charities and a lot of these charities line their own pockets with most of the money.

It's usually about 90%, however the CEO's are on silly wages and that is enough to stop me donating to many charities.

Chuggers usually try and say this vaccine costs 7 cents or something and a donation will do a lot of good, however if you take €150,000 off a CEO salary you can just imagine how many people are being affected by exorbitant salaries. 7 cents divided into €150,000 is over 2 million people. Reminds me of how many Angela Kearns scammed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

I don't use the box since I have a card that allows me donate whenever I want. One thing I particularly like about Trocaire, is that they don't send the begging letters like others do. I haven't donated to Concern in about 4 years and they still send me letters regularly

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Gatling wrote: »
    Still forced on primary school kids every year
    Not in our school.But please, feel free to generalize.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

jaja321 wrote: »
    Can you give an example of this agenda they are pushing? With a link to back up your claim?

http://www.trocaire.org/whatwedo/who-we-are

First Line in there about Us section...

They are part of the C\tholic Church, an organisation that has a history of abuses, and the major abuse they are carrying out in the Africa is not giving out condoms to every man, woman and child

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

First Line in there about Us section...

They are part of the C\tholic Church, an organisation that has a history of abuses, and the major abuse they are carrying out in the Africa is not giving out condoms to every man, woman and child

Are you aware of how Trocaire works?

They are part of the C\tholic Church. . . the major abuse they are carrying out in the Africa is not giving out condoms to every man, woman and child

How come condoms are freely available in Ireland and many people get STDs? Maybe the Catholic Church's position is more nuanced than people like to think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I remember these when I was in primary school in the '70's, can't be making a huge difference if they're still looking for money to solve the same problems in the same countries decades on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

thehouses wrote: »
    How come condoms are freely available in Ireland and many people get STDs? Maybe the Catholic Church's position is more nuanced than people like to think.

You do know the history around Ireland and contraceptives right?

And many African countries are more like past Ireland.

You do know the history around Ireland and contraceptives right?

And many African countries are more like past Ireland.

I'm only 22 so tell me more...

Also how are these countries like Ireland in the past?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

What, charity and giving? What a disgrace.

Now, now. Most people are of the opinion/know that most big name charities are just another money making scheme for those who work for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I'm only 22 so tell me more...

Also how are these countries like Ireland in the past?

Ireland only legalised the sale of contraception without prescription in 1993. The same year it decided to decriminalise homosexuality, and people opposed both of those changes. My husband isn't an auld fella, but when he was in college only married couples could buy condoms and they had to have a prescription. There were court cases taken against Virgin Megastore because it sold condoms openly in the 1990s. Ireland is still has the most restrictive laws on abortion in the EU and a lot of our sex education in schools is laughably influenced by the fact that the vast majority of our schools are controlled by patrons of faiths who oppose the use of contraception, such as the catholic church. Ireland and its past is not a million miles away from countries where religious charities peddle their evangelism and access to the poor in exchange for food and clothes.

lazygal wrote: »
    Ireland only legalised the sale of contraception without prescription in 1993. The same year it decided to decriminalise homosexuality, and people opposed both of those changes. My husband isn't an auld fella, but when he was in college only married couples could buy condoms and they had to have a prescription. There were court cases taken against Virgin Megastore because it sold condoms openly in the 1990s. Ireland is still has the most restrictive laws on abortion in the EU and a lot of our sex education in schools is laughably influenced by the fact that the vast majority of our schools are controlled by patrons of faiths who oppose the use of contraception, such as the catholic church. Ireland and its past is not a million miles away from countries where religious charities peddle their evangelism and access to the poor in exchange for food and clothes.

Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately condoms won't solve the Aids problem and that is what I was getting at regarding the Catholic Church's position being more thought out than people think.

Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately condoms won't solve the Aids problem and that is what I was getting at regarding the Catholic Church's position being more thought out than people think.
    Condoms are about more than the Aids problem. They help to reduce the chances of young girls becoming pregnant and dropping out of education. They help women to exercise more control over their reproductive choices. The birth rate in Ireland dropped after contraception became more freely available. My parents and in laws both came from very large families, their own families were far smaller because they were able to control their fertility.

• Advertisement

Condoms are about more than the Aids problem. They help to reduce the chances of young girls becoming pregnant and dropping out of education. They help women to exercise more control over their reproductive choices. The birth rate in Ireland dropped after contraception became more freely available. My parents and in laws both came from very large families, their own families were far smaller because they were able to control their fertility.

I agree, there are certain benefits which condoms can bring. However, it must also be recognised that there are certain drawbacks and people don't always realise or accept this.

I agree, there are certain benefits which condoms can bring. However, it must also be recognised that there are certain drawbacks and people don't always realise or accept this.

What are the drawbacks?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

What are the drawbacks?

More food for Africans :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Money for the black babies as me granny used to say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

What are the drawbacks?

We could cut straight to the chase, . Whether there are actual draw backs or not The RCCs issue with condoms is that their use is "sinful".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭AlteredStates

Trocaire boxes taught me from an early age to give to charity... I still do.

Probably one of the best ideas they teach in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Drawbacks?

Trocaire boxes taught me from an early age to give to charity... I still do.

Probably one of the best ideas they teach in school.

Trocaire boxes taught me that charity is an industry like any other and capturing vast numbers of school children and indoctrinating them in the idea of giving money to religious organisations to peddle their wares in poor countries was a very inefficient use of resources. If and when my children are in a school that distributes them I'll be asking questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭AlteredStates

Differences of opinion but worth it for me to learn the morale alone regardless of % given to genuine need.

• Advertisement

Trocaire boxes taught me that charity is an industry like any other and capturing vast numbers of school children and indoctrinating them in the idea of giving money to religious organisations to peddle their wares in poor countries was a very inefficient use of resources. If and when my children are in a school that distributes them I'll be asking questions.

Peddle their wares? Please.

They are out there helping the poor people of the world. Have you ever seen the good work done by the missions or heard the stories from priests back from the missions? They do a massive amount of good for the poor.

There is a disgusting attitude driven by blind hatred of Catholicism being displayed in this thread (and many other threads by idiotic posters).

Id love to have the likes of you coming into me if I were working in a school complaining about topics such as this, the satisfaction I'd get telling you to clear off would be high.

Advertisement