Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trocaire Boxes

Options
  • 24-02-2015 1:43am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭

What are you filling your one with this year, im filling mine with condoms anyway. The durex real feel no less none of them lidl rubbish. Have a better chance of my contributions reaching Africa than if i filled it with money.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Have to get one first

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Filling mine with Water. Might momentarily save them walking the 5 miles to get some

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Filling it with salt and vinegar sachets so those African lads can have a bit of sophistication on their chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

CJ Haughey wrote: »
    What are you filling your one with this year, im filling mine with condoms anyway. The durex real feel no less none of them lidl rubbish. Have a better chance of my contributions reaching Africa than if i filled it with money.

Filling them with condoms is far from the worst thing to put in them with the state of sexual education in some African nations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Haven't seen one in about 20 years. Didn't know they were still a thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Still forced on primary school kids every year

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Gatling wrote: »

Condoms?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭CJ Haughey

Have you been living in a cave?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭CarpeDiem85

What, charity and giving? What a disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Have you been living in a cave?

Haven't seen one since I was in primary school.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

What, charity and giving? What a disgrace.

A charity with a religious agenda that they push on the ppl they "help"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭CarpeDiem85

Lol, a religious agenda? What would that be? Are you a Trocaire representative working on the ground, you sound like you know what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Same as every year, jelly babies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

Have to get one first

Everyone in Donegal gets one at the end of Easter.;)

Full.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

I'll save everyone the read of Mr. Ingonito's report.

It says the CEO is on €225k a year plus undefined top ups, last year all the donations were ate up in administration charges which is why we have to do better this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I went to this page
    http://www.trocaire.org/hiv

It mentions the work they do to combat HIV. They don't mention condoms. Now they don't mention anything else either. they definitely skirt what they're advising people. They are either advising to use condoms and don't say because they're a catholic organisation or they are advising against it and aren't saying it because of public backlash.

(Just a side note: besides that I couldn't see anything on their site I disagree with. They seem like a very good charity. I would prefer to give to a secular organisation but these guys aren't actually a bad group to give money to)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

91 cent of every €1 donated is spent on Trocaire expenditure?... Christ.

I'll save everyone the read of Mr. Ingonito's report.

It says the CEO is on €225k a year plus undefined top ups, last year all the donations were ate up in administration charges which is why we have to do better this year.

Ummmmm Page 51. Did you save yourself a read also?
    Trócaire’s Executive Director, Éamonn Meehan, as of May 2014 is paid a salary of €118,750 per annum

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

How come you are receiving them if you so obviously aren't catholic?

• Advertisement

logik wrote: »
    91 cent of every €1 donated is spent on Trocaire expenditure?... Christ.

Other way around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

The sheer craziness of this thread is near overwhelming.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

Can you give an example of this agenda they are pushing? With a link to back up your claim?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Haven't seen them since I left primary school. I'm very picky about charities I donate to, these charities have gone on for years and has there been a significant improvement there? And whenever the RCC is doing good there tends to be a catch or something dodgy going on.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

Ummmmm Page 51. Did you save yourself a read also?

Yes, yes I did . . . Do you not find made up senationalised figures far more entertaining than your drab facts

I also have it on good authority that he keeps a young African boy in a cage in his office to dance for his pure amusement, they pay him in the English coppers which use the boxes to get rid of.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

When I was in school our teacher threw them all in the bin one day instead of giving them to us because the picture on the box featured a big smiling African fella.

He said, 'yer man looks better fed an happier than most of you shower do' and that was the end of that.

There really are a lot of despicable posters in AH, a charity trying to help some of the poorest people in the world and you have people saying they will fill the boxes with all sorts of rubbish and all because of their anti-catholic agenda, pure and utter scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

We haven't received one in years. I honestly thought that they had stopped doing them. They used to be put in every letterbox in the area.

Miaireland wrote: »
    We haven't received one in years. I honestly thought that they had stopped doing them. They used to be put in every letterbox in the area.

They are provided in all churches for those who want them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

The things some people choose to get worked up about!

No-one has ever, to my knowledge, been in way forced to put anything into a Trocaire box....in fact you don't even have to take one if you don't want to.

That some people think it's good enough to get a box just to fill it with contraceptives and other rubbish is worrying....it would make me question their maturity tbh.

Advertisement