Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trocaire Boxes

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭CarpeDiem85

A good catholic would do it for less. Jesus would do it for free.:)

You're bloody well right there. I have an uncle who has been out in South Africia for most of his adult life doing missionary work. He gets a small wage and pension that will gives him a comfortable life in that country but the work he does is incredibly draining and it he never has down time. He has helped so many people. He is a saint but I better not use that work around here!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I may be wrong on this, it was decades ago, but I have a vague memory of a primary school teacher reading out a list of amounts of money in each pupils Trocaire box and praising whichever kid had the most money in it. Seems fcuking obscene now. I wonder if they still do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I may be wrong on this, it was decades ago, but I have a vague memory of a primary school teacher reading out a list of amounts of money in each pupils Trocaire box and praising whichever kid had the most money in it. Seems fcuking obscene now. I wonder if they still do that.

They used to do that at the offertory every Sunday too. And it was often the poor buggers that could afford it least were giving most.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭hynesie08

No, my primary school did that circa 1990, there were prizes if you raised the most and extra homework if you raised the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

What, charity and giving? What a disgrace.

Yeah it is a disgrace when maybe .001% of that money actually reaches charitable causes and not some fat cat CEO to stuff his fat greedy face.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

hynesie08 wrote: »
    No, my primary school did that circa 1990, there were prizes if you raised the most and extra homework if you raised the least.

MIND CONTROL MIND CONTROL MIND CONTROL MIND CONTROL MIND CONTROL MIND CONTROL MIND CONTROL MIND CONTROL MIND CONTROL MIND CONTROL MIND CONTROL MIND CONTROL MIND CONTROL MIND CONTROL MIND CONTROL MIND CONTROL

thehouses wrote: »
    €50,000 off that wage would save a huge amount of people and still leave you with a person that is more than capable of doing the job. A large pay-packet does not mean you have the right person for the job.

Why would someone do the job of CEO for only 75k? People a few years into their career in many industries are on that sort of money so don't see why someone with the skills and experience to have got to the stage of being considered for CEO position would work for it. It would most likely be a massive pay cut for the person.

Of course this has nothing to do with a charity or anything its just people begrudging someone on more money than they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Why would someone do the job of CEO for only 75k? People a few years into their career in many industries are on that sort of money so don't see why someone with the skills and experience to have got to the stage of being considered for CEO position would work for it. It would most likely be a massive pay cut for the person.

It would be easier all around if God would sort out the problems of the world himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Enabling the sickest regimes of the world while feeling good about yourself!

What's next, volunteering in an orphanage in Cambodia to boost the trade in children?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

bjork wrote: »
    Enabling the sickest regimes of the world while feeling good about yourself!

What's next, volunteering in an orphanage in Cambodia to boost the trade in children?

Sure we had children for sale in Ireland recently enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Of course this has nothing to do with a charity or anything its just people begrudging someone on more money than they are.

It's not like he is running a charity or anything, I would of thought a person would be happy to work to help others but according to you people will only help a charity for the monetary rewards.
    If he wants to earn money then their are plenty of non charity companies. I suppose their holiday home is more important than those poor children.
    Its got nothing to do with earning more than me, I feel the same about chuggers who probably earn very little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭thehouses

The IMNDA CEO is on less than €75,000 and seems to be doing a good job. There is no begrudging at all, it is about making sure as much people are helped as possible and CEOs siphon off money that could be used in much better ways. They are charities after all and have many volunteers working for them. If money is their motivation to work, then the charity would be better off without them.

The IMNDA CEO is on less than €75,000 and seems to be doing a good job. There is no begrudging at all, it is about making sure as much people are helped as possible and CEOs siphon off money that could be used in much better ways. They are charities after all and have many volunteers working for them. If money is their motivation to work, then the charity would be better off without them.

So if you saw a job advertised but the employer wasn't given (as happens often) and you applied to said job which was paying a good salary.

Then you are told its for a charity and you do the interview and get the position are you saying you would ask to be paid less, not take the job etc?

So if you saw a job advertised but the employer wasn't given (as happens often) and you applied to said job which was paying a good salary.

Then you are told its for a charity and you do the interview and get the position are you saying you would ask to be paid less, not take the job etc?

Yes I would no problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

If the were actually being a good Christian then YES!

I certainly wouldn't even contemplate taking a smaller salary or not taking the job. People are quite foolish is appears when it comes to looking after themselves and their family first.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I certainly wouldn't even contemplate taking a smaller salary or not taking the job. People are quite foolish is appears when it comes to looking after themselves and their family first.

Not very Christian of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Thankfully many people have an attitude towards others more like what Christians are supposed to have.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

I was led to believe it was for the Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association.

See:
    http://imnda.ie/statement-on-salaries-and-payments/

"our CEO was paid €65,000."

Which is among the most well paid in Ireland.

• Advertisement

People in similarly high pressure jobs seem to manage a perfectly good standard of living on significantly less.......

Gits_bone wrote: »
    Which is among the most well paid in Ireland.

How so? From what I have looked at most CEOs earn between €100,000 - €150,000. But I could be wrong of course or am misreading your point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

People in similarly high pressure jobs seem to manage a perfectly good standard of living on significantly less.......

Not CEO level though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Yuri Checkov

What I can't understand is that the Irish government is already firing public money at the Africans so why should I be asked to give more?

It is a fine little racket the churches have going, it would make the Mafia jealous.

So? My aim would be to earn as much as I possibly can not manage on less.

There are loads of people in the country earning 70k+ who are in nowhere near a CEO level position so I cant see why people who work up to that level wouldn't expect to be paid well.

Id be quite disappointed if I was a CEO and only earning 125k, especially as that figure will be destroyed after tax.

Gits_bone wrote: »
    Not CEO level though.

The point I was replying to was that people would be putting their familys livelihood in danger by working for less. That's nonsense.

So? My aim would be to earn as much as I possibly can not manage on less.

There are loads of people in the country earning 70k+ who are in nowhere near a CEO level position.

And are these charitable Christians doing The Lords work?

And are these charitable Christians doing The Lords work?

What are you talking about?

What are you talking about?

Trocaire.... Christian charity....Catholic Charity...... Kinda related to the thread title..
    Try to keep up;)

• Advertisement

Trocaire.... Christian charity....Catholic Charity......
    Try to keep up;)

I think this has moved into talk about charitys in general but in any case no I'm referring to people who don't work for charitys but at the same time a well run charity is run like a business and to get the best people to run it you need to pay at similar levels to similar roles in industry.

Advertisement