Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA people = Cavemen?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

And if he's really good at it he'll he an England call up

well, he's ten months old now, hopefully in 20 years or so Ireland will have secured Test status - if not, then yeah, an England & Wales* call up would be the pinnacle of Test Cricket, and I'd be absolutely proud of it.

*it's actually England & Wales, not just England.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Figerty

Why are some GAA people so blind to reality and stupid?

The typical higher up in a GAA club is a devoted Catholic, acts like every other sport other than Hurling and Football doesn't exist and if someone plays other sports and doesn't play a GAA sport then that sport is for "People who are no good at GAA". In my experience they refer to Rugby and especially Soccer as "The Queen's game" and seem to still be very butthurt over the whose Bloody Sunday event. They have also scheduled GAA training with Soccer training to make people sweat.

I might let it be known that I play both Soccer and Gaelic games and enjoy both thoroughly and I probably spend more time watching GAA matches than Soccer, but in my experience the GAA higher ups are very medieval while the Soccer lads have always been very down to earth. I'm just stating my opinions so if you have any opinions or if you question anything I've said, please feel free to comment.

Must be a strange part of the world you are in..then again..the lads playing Rugby tend to be hurling failures in Clare.. Never heard it Rugby or Soccer called the queens game. The odd time it might be called the Garrison game for a bit of craic. Seeing as all the Rugby clubs are from old Garrison towns it's a historical echo.
    There aren't many devoted Catholics anywhere in sport. Last weekend Scotland were down a player because it was a Sunday game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

well, he's ten months old now, hopefully in 20 years or so Ireland will have secured Test status - if not, then yeah, an England & Wales* call up would be the pinnacle of Test Cricket, and I'd be absolutely proud of it.

E(nglish)cb trying really hard to include Wales here http://www.ecb.co.uk/assets/images/width340/62aec7e4-c049-4ed4-9ef1-75b33bf26507.png

Figerty wrote: »
    then again..the lads playing Rugby tend to be hurling failures in Clare..

Even if this is t-i-c, which I doubt it is, it's typical of the shíte gah-heads come out with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Haha it was actually similar to this how I left, during training at the start of a new season the manager was being an absolute prick to everyone. While doing warmups I disagreed with something tiny he said and he lost his mind and went on a huge rant and I just got up and walked straight past him to get my stuff and leave. I was just thinking the whole time how I was growing too old to listen to such bullsh!t. As I was changing he came in and apologised and got upset but once he'd realised I wasn't changing my mind and backing down he backpedaled and resorted to the classic "right so, gwan and fuk off". Which is what I did.

Thinking back to being a young kid and having middle aged men screaming and shouting at us, even when we almost always won, makes me crack up laughing at them. The best one ever was a man who wasn't even involved in the team at the time coming into our changing rooms and full on crying when we lost a friendly...a fuking friendly. So glad I left the club behind, you get no thanks for it.

With respect, every GAA club in the country sees guys like this every season: they don't like taking orders or they see things a different way, and they walk away. Some stop turning up, some storm off.

In my opinion those guys are better-suited to individual sports, if any. In a team situation, people have to commit to a certain amount of discipline. OK so you disagree with the coach, and maybe you are correct, but on a team you're going to need to work as part of the machine. You have your job, he has his.

I don;t think this is particularly a GAA issue. I think it's just that the GAA is so pervasive, people are confusing it with being a GAA problem. Maybe I;m wrong, maybe the GAA sometimes takes discipline for granted, and other sports feel the need to be flexible.

Either way, with an attitude like the attitude you describe, I doubt you were missed.

• Advertisement

meh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Do you know whats funny? Around the age of 2 they start developing their own interests. And personalities.

and lol at a Rugger head getting digs in at cricket.

We're both here in the garisson son.

Chucken wrote: »
    Do you know whats funny? Around the age of 2 they start developing their own interests. And personalities.

he's already started on that - he loves cats and cows, and Iggle Piggle.

I'm well aware that he may develop an interest in gah, but with the way he'll be raised, without exposure to the sport, it's doubtful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

I'm well aware that he may develop an interest in gah, but with the way he'll be raised, without exposure to the sport, it's doubtful.

Christ keep him away from Iggle Piggle, that's some Illuminati stiff right there with all the non English words they speak

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

conorh91 wrote: »
    With respect, every GAA club in the country sees guys like this every season: they don't like taking orders or they see things a different way, and they walk away. Some stop turning up, some storm off.

In my opinion those guys are better-suited to individual sports, if any. In a team situation, people have to commit to a certain amount of discipline. OK so you disagree with the coach, and maybe you are correct, but on a team you're going to need to work as part of the machine. You have your job, he has his.

I don;t think this is particularly a GAA issue. I think it's just that the GAA is so pervasive, people are confusing it with being a GAA problem. Maybe I;m wrong, maybe the GAA sometimes takes discipline for granted, and other sports feel the need to be flexible.

Either way, with an attitude like the attitude you describe, I doubt you were missed.

I have no issue with taking orders as long as the person giving them is open to criticism and suggestions from the rest of the, you know, team. And also, clearly I was since I'm still being hassled about coming back years on, now more than ever as well since I've gotten stronger than I ever was playing for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,959 ✭✭✭threeball

Must be fun living in your "inclusive" world while at the same time pigeon holing people into being gah heads, rugger heads. I'd say your young fella has more problems ahead of him than any sport will provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

He likes cows?

How much exposure to farming have you allowed him?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,959 ✭✭✭threeball

Clearly I was since I'm still being hassled about coming back years on, now more than ever as well since I've gotten stronger than I ever was playing for them.

God you must have been brilliant .... or else they're just really stuck. Immigration a big problem in your neck of the woods?

Christ keep him away from Iggle Piggle, that's some Illuminati stiff right there with all the non English words they speak
    he needs to get used to it so he can deal with the gahliban.
    He likes cows?

How much exposure to farming have you allowed him?

he's being brought up to know where his food comes from - steaks are from cows, not the supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Why are some GAA people so blind to reality and stupid?

The typical higher up in a GAA club is a devoted Catholic, acts like every other sport other than Hurling and Football doesn't exist and if someone plays other sports and doesn't play a GAA sport then that sport is for "People who are no good at GAA". In my experience they refer to Rugby and especially Soccer as "The Queen's game" and seem to still be very butthurt over the whose Bloody Sunday event. They have also scheduled GAA training with Soccer training to make people sweat.

I might let it be known that I play both Soccer and Gaelic games and enjoy both thoroughly and I probably spend more time watching GAA matches than Soccer, but in my experience the GAA higher ups are very medieval while the Soccer lads have always been very down to earth. I'm just stating my opinions so if you have any opinions or if you question anything I've said, please feel free to comment.

What dya think of that Joe Brolly?

pmy.murphy wrote: »

there's a guy who's nickname is "umbrella"?

Sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

My oldest grandson is just gone 2. His Dad plays rugby semi professionally so its all rugby in that house. When he goes out playing, the other children are playing football, hurling or killing each other (;)) he wants to join in. And he's not stopped! (well he's not going in the very rough play) but he loves his hurley.

pmy.murphy wrote: »

I've no opinion of him really, he was 100% correct about the Sean Cavenagh rugby tackle epidemic. Actually, I'd say he's alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

The difference is I accept that all sports have their issues and wouldn't bar my child from exploring any sport they expressed an interest in.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

threeball wrote: »
    God you must have been brilliant .... or else they're just really stuck. Immigration a big problem in your neck of the woods?

Immigration? I'm not too sure if many internationals moving here would be too good at GAA...

Chucken wrote: »
    My oldest grandson is just gone 2. His Dad plays rugby semi professionally so its all rugby in that house. When he goes out playing, the other children are playing football, hurling or killing each other (;)) he wants to join in. And he's not stopped! (well he's not going in the very rough play) but he loves his hurley.

I don't play any sports, and I've never seen any kids around here with a hurl in their hand, let alone playing gaelic football out on the field (it's always soccer).

The kid will be brought to see Shels from this summer, and will as I've already said, be sent to Soccer and Cricket kids camps - and will be sent to a non-Catholic school (I went to a Xtian Bros school where soccer was banned, for instance, and the gah player were allowed to skip classes etc).

I have no issue with taking orders as long as the person giving them is open to criticism and suggestions from the rest of the, you know, team.
    How many other team members walked away on that day, and how many stayed?

I assume a majority walked off the pitch with you, did they?

Has the club ever failed to field a team?

conorh91 wrote: »
    How many other team members walked away on that day, and how many stayed?

I assume a majority walked off the pitch with you, did they?

Has the club ever failed to field a team?

Why do you see the need to attack him on something that doesn't affect you? He was fed up so he went home, end of.

Immigration? I'm not too sure if many internationals moving here would be too good at GAA...

The OhAilpins disagree, so does Jayo Sherlock, and the many, many, many Second Generation Africans currently suffering racist abuse every weekend at gah matches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

The kid will be brought to see Shels from this summer...

...turning an innocent young lad into a Shel's fan is appalling abuse.

Shame on you!

Why do you see the need to attack him on something that doesn't affect you? He was fed up so he went home, end of.

he was wrong, GAA was right.

...turning an innocent young lad into a Shel's fan is appalling abuse.

Shame on you!

using inappropriate apostrophes, shame on you.

The poster is insisting that the team sentiment was being ignored.

If so, I'd be curious to know how many of the team left the pitch with him on that day?

None, perhaps.

You get this kind of thing on teams regularly enough. People think they speak for everyone, leave alone, and everyone moves on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

This is from a guy who used to be brought to see Heffo's Army with his dad, and grew up in the 90s with Dessie Farrell as a local hero, but then the gah got greedy and started to act like bollixes. Want nothing to do with them ever again.

How exactly did the non profit making organisation get greedy?

Hurling is by most consensus, a wonderful sport. Although its a popular thing to complain about the football, its still the most popular sport in the country, even in this modern society where tradition is taking a backward step and younger people are very exposed to other international sports. Says a lot.

The GAA has a few faults. It's positives though in the modern day far outweigh the negatives. Simply ignore it if it bothers you

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement