Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA people = Cavemen?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Please elaborate on this I don't understand haha

You said you want to leave? Just run off the pitch and keep running.

Forrest Gump style!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Why are some GAA people so blind to reality and stupid?

The typical higher up in a GAA club is a devoted Catholic, acts like every other sport other than Hurling and Football doesn't exist and if someone plays other sports and doesn't play a GAA sport then that sport is for "People who are no good at GAA". In my experience they refer to Rugby and especially Soccer as "The Queen's game" and seem to still be very butthurt over the whose Bloody Sunday event. They have also scheduled GAA training with Soccer training to make people sweat.

I might let it be known that I play both Soccer and Gaelic games and enjoy both thoroughly and I probably spend more time watching GAA matches than Soccer, but in my experience the GAA higher ups are very medieval while the Soccer lads have always been very down to earth. I'm just stating my opinions so if you have any opinions or if you question anything I've said, please feel free to comment.

You are right op...small minded, holier than thou, smug bullies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭threeball

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Fairly sure the OP is bang on.

I refuse to let my kids play GAA as they a bunch of wankbags.

Pretty harsh calling your kids wankbags. I'm sure most GAA clubs would still let them play though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Ah the old, Stuck-at-home-on-a-Saturday-Night-Because-I'm-Too-Young-To-Go-Out-so-I-Make-Up-A-****-Attempt-At-a-troll-Thread thread.

At least I'm not an old, wrinkly raisin w*nker like you who probably can't move his hips enough to go out so he has to listen to a supposed "troll".

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Ah the old, Stuck-at-home-on-a-Saturday-Night-Because-I'm-Too-Young-To-Go-Out-.

Poor Timmy.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

sabat wrote: »
    Garrison Games is the expression I've heard many times.

Of course you should never mention to GAA heads that their football is an entirely artificial construct, manufactured purely to be something that wasn't English. The effects of this back-of-an-envelope rulebook can still be seen today as it's almost impossible to dispossess an opposition player without fouling them.

Spot on. Gaelic Football is shíte. Hurling rocks though.

Tho OP is talking bollox though for the vast majority of GAA players.

True there are still a few old dinosaurs left on committees around the place, (mainly up North and in Cork). But they are few and far between anymore and most of them will be dead in a few years.

But in fairness, it's not unique to the GAA. Most sports have their share of ould farts at admin level.

Chucken wrote: »

Forrest Gump style!

Hahaha GAA transfer rules are incredibly strict though!

Hahaha GAA transfer rules are incredibly strict though!

Feck that.

Run Forrest, Run!

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Pocaide

Ah at last it shows its true face

Pocaide wrote: »
    Ah at last it shows its true face

?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Was a member of my local GAA and soccer clubs when I was in my early teens.

The soccer coaches knew I was in the GAA club and never cared so long as I was fit to play soccer when necessary but as soon as the GAA coaches caught wind of me being in the soccer club I was quickly told to choose between the 2.

I just turned around picked up my bag and walked out the door. In fairness I wasn't much of a loss to the hurling team but it was a ****ty thing to be told you couldn't play both sports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Baby Jane wrote: »
    Pretty harsh to refuse to let children play a sport should they ever want to... and for a dubious reason ("they a bunch of wankbags").

(I have no interest in GAA and never played it by the way).

nah, I'm the same with my 10-month old, he'll never darken the door of a gah club.

He'll join Litte Kickers at 18 months, Soccer. And he'll join the kids cricket team down in the Phoenix Park when he's able.

Thing is, we live in Dublin and he's not a Catholic, so he wont be indocrinated from an early age by some bogger teacher - he's registered in the local Educate Together, and his name is down in the 12-kids-in-a-class Protestant school too, so hopefully gah isn't even on his radar, it'll never be on tv in this house anyway.

This is from a guy who used to be brought to see Heffo's Army with his dad, and grew up in the 90s with Dessie Farrell as a local hero, but then the gah got greedy and started to act like bollixes. Want nothing to do with them ever again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Baby Jane

What if he expresses a like for hurling or gaelic football?
    There are things I don't like about the organisation but I don't agree with stopping a kid from getting involved with a sport if they have an interest in it, just because of their parent having a grudge.

Lads I don't want to come across as a GAA basher, I play both and these are just some problems I've had with GAA.

What if he expresses a like for hurling or gaelic football?.

he'll be told to cop on, get a history lesson, and get down to cricket training.

Also "he'll play soccer", "he'll play cricket" - seems pushy. What if he has no interest in either?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

The typical higher up in a GAA club is a devoted Catholic
    Ok... so are most middle-aged men.
    , acts like every other sport other than Hurling and Football doesn't exist
    ditto for rugby, tennis and athletics diehards, but anyway...
    In my experience they refer to Rugby and especially Soccer as "The Queen's game"
    Aand you lost your audience. I'd doubt most people have encountered this expression on a casual basis. Troll harder next time...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Also "he'll play soccer", "he'll play cricket" - seems pushy. What if he has no interest in either?

Plenty of GAA players in the same situation of pushy parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

At least I'm not an old, wrinkly raisin w*nker like you who probably can't move his hips enough to go out so he has to listen to a supposed "troll".
    Poor Timmy.

I'm actually a fresh spring chicken that unfortunately has to work in the morning (You'll learn about that Gh0st when you turn 17) I just like saying things that will fester at the back of your mind in the time when you aren't acting like a cool dude on the internet, like this submission to the world will have ameliorated no ones life whatsoever. Not even your own. You are essentially worthless in the eyes of the many and the few.

And you probably have B.O or some ****.

Timdawg millionaire out.

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Plenty of GAA players in the same situation of pushy parents.
    I know there are, never denied it. Doesn't make any kind of pushiness ok.

• Advertisement

then he can go to dance class or chess or art or play xbox or whatever.

Not gah though, ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Forrest Gump style!
    That's exactly how the last game of gah I played went. Just got fed up and walked off.

Terrible sport for terrible people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

I'm fairly sure cricket kids guy is trolling haha. The smell of troll of that post. Seriously though, I don't think parents should push children towards or prevent them from playing a certain sport. Usually nowadays it seems to be friends getting children into sports rather than parents anyway (from what I've experienced anyway).

conorh91 wrote: »
    Ok... so are most middle-aged men.

ditto for rugby, tennis and athletics diehards, but anyway...

Aand you lost your audience. I'd doubt most people have encountered this expression on a casual basis. Troll harder next time...

I'm giving my experiences, not Trolling.

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Was a member of my local GAA and soccer clubs when I was in my early teens.

The soccer coaches knew I was in the GAA club and never cared so long as I was fit to play soccer when necessary but as soon as the GAA coaches caught wind of me being in the soccer club I was quickly told to choose between the 2.

I just turned around picked up my bag and walked out the door. In fairness I wasn't much of a loss to the hurling team but it was a ****ty thing to be told you couldn't play both sports.
    Being effectively told you couldn't play both soccer and GAA is appalling in fairness. I've heard of that happening other times too, and it's something I do take issue with in relation to the organisation.
    But not letting someone play GAA on the basis of the likes of the above... is kinda doing the same thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Forrest Gump style!

Haha it was actually similar to this how I left, during training at the start of a new season the manager was being an absolute prick to everyone. While doing warmups I disagreed with something tiny he said and he lost his mind and went on a huge rant and I just got up and walked straight past him to get my stuff and leave. I was just thinking the whole time how I was growing too old to listen to such bullsh!t. As I was changing he came in and apologised and got upset but once he'd realised I wasn't changing my mind and backing down he backpedaled and resorted to the classic "right so, gwan and fuk off". Which is what I did.

Thinking back to being a young kid and having middle aged men screaming and shouting at us, even when we almost always won, makes me crack up laughing at them. The best one ever was a man who wasn't even involved in the team at the time coming into our changing rooms and full on crying when we lost a friendly...a fuking friendly. So glad I left the club behind, you get no thanks for it.

Aspiring wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure cricket kids guy is trolling haha.

Nope, I'm not, Cricket is one of the most inclusive sports around, and as an added bonus, there's an excellent chance that if a youngfella is trained from a young age he'll get to represent his country (or closest equivalent) at the highest level, a World Cup..

The "World Cup" of gah is, literally, a makey-uppy game played against disinterested Australian thugs that usually ends up in a fight

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Nope, I'm not, Cricket is one of the most inclusive sports around, and as an added bonus, there's an excellent chance that if a youngfella is trained from a young age he'll get to represent his country (or closest equivalent) at the highest level, a World Cup..

The "World Cup" of gah is, literally, a makey-uppy game played against disinterested Australian thugs that usually ends up in a fight

And if he's really good at it he'll he an England call up

Haha it was actually similar to this how I left, during training at the start of a new season the manager was being an absolute prick to everyone. While doing warmups I disagreed with something tiny he said and he lost his mind and went on a huge rant and I just got up and walked straight past him to get my stuff and leave. I was just thinking the whole time how I was growing too old to listen to such bullsh!t. As I was changing he came in and apologised and got upset but once he'd realised I wasn't changing my mind and backing down he backpedaled and resorted to the classic "right so, gwan and fuk off". Which is what I did.

Thinking back to being a young kid and having middle aged men screaming and shouting at us, even when we almost always won, makes me crack up laughing at them. The best one ever was a man who wasn't even involved in the team at the time coming into our changing rooms and full on crying when we lost a friendly...a fuking friendly. So glad I left the club behind, you get no thanks for it.
    "Ye played like a ****ing camogie team!" was a favourite of a trainer in my neck of the woods. :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Thing is, we live in Dublin and he's not a Catholic, so he wont be indocrinated from an early age by some bogger teacher - he's registered in the local Educate Together blah blah blah....

Anyone reading this rubbish would be forgiven for assuming every kid outside the M25 gets a hurl thrust in his hands by a priest within days of birth before being conscripted into the Christian Brothers for 12 of national service.

Cop the hell on FFS.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement