Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booze deals [Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

Anyone know of any deals or best price seen for Jack Daniels Honey? My local tesco didn't have it-33euro there usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,070 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

casio4 wrote: »
    how do you know?

Was in sv in lucan on Thurs evening and they had stacks of them - mainly Guinness carlsberg and heineken. Maybe store specific if its Xmas stock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Yiikes

Any good deals on spirits around (naggins, shoulders or 70cl)?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

In any event- what is more likely to happen- is the cheapest crap simply won't be sold by retailers any longer.
    Its an attempt to curb the sale of cheap crap that many people who abuse alcohol depend on- nothing else.
    There will always be some people who will drink whatever is cheapest.

This means you will still have the cheap crap on sale , except now it will cost more. Which means lots more profit for the supermarkets, which they can use to further undercut small retailers, and less pub money for people who enjoy the odd drink at home.

The other brands will price themselves above the minimum to justify they're "quality". Yes Diageo may try to increase the wholesale price, because, let's continue to screw the small retailers, but the discounters have other sources and Weatherspoons laughed in their faces.

And the best bit is that if the plan to reduce drinking actually works (cf. cigarettes on that) then the government will collect less excise duty.

Fairest way would be to increase excise duty across the board, so the rich get to pay more too, not just the poor. And the increase in duty should offset the lower volume of alcohol sold.

But no, let's take money off the poor and give it to businesses.

There is some argument that this is supposed to help publicans by making drinking at home closer to the price of drinking in a pub. But if people are drinking at home to save money then reducing their disposable income isn't exactly going to get them flocking back into pubs.

Anyway.

Most of you are probably aware of pubs selling super cold beer to numb your taste buds.

So if you just want generic lager you could stick a 79c can of Aldi Galahad or Lidl Excelsior in the freezer for a bit. Defo not classy, but way cheaper than Eurospar's Dutch Gold at €10 for an 8 pack.
    79c x 8 = €6.32

Which just goes to prove the point that some people will pay over the odds for the cheapest crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

is the booze doc app not accurate? I downloaded it to my phone today and it said both Dunnes and Supervalu were doing 8's of Guinness for €10 but when I went to both shops they were €13 :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

casio4 wrote: »
    is the booze doc app not accurate? I downloaded it to my phone today and it said both Dunnes and Supervalu were doing 8's of Guinness for €10 but when I went to both shops they were €13 :(

Its only as accurate as the data put in to it. There's a corrections button for this.

Supervalu in particularly can be unreliable due to the franchise nature of the shops.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Fairest way would be to increase excise duty across the board, so the rich get to pay more too, not just the poor. And the increase in duty should offset the lower volume of alcohol sold.

But no, let's take money off the poor and give it to businesses.

The wealthier you are- the less you drink- but the more expensive your drinks tend to be. The poorer you are- you tend to go for whatever has alcohol in it- not be too focused on the taste- its more quantity rather than quality.

Simply increasing excise- wouldn't address this- unless you had some super tax you could apply to wine over 20 Euro a bottle, whiskey over 40 a bottle, cognac etc over 50 etc etc. rather than focusing on the type of alcohol and calculating the excise on a per alcohol unit basis.

If you do want to drive consumption down though- unfortunately- none of this will work. Education- alongside a massive rollout of programmes to reduce people's reliance on alcohol would be called for. In today's day and age- who will pay for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,543 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Booze bargains only here, anyone wanting to discuss the health or economics regarding alcohol please post elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭annie.t

Chang beer is for €1.49 or 2 for €2.50 in Lidl - good price for nice thai beer :)

M

annie.t wrote: »
    Chang beer is for €1.49 or 2 for €2.50 in Lidl - good price for nice thai beer :)

I don't suppose you spotted any deal on Franziskaner while you were there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭annie.t

I don't suppose you spotted any deal on Franziskaner while you were there?

I dont really like Franziskaner (prefer Paulaner :p ) so didnt look at it.
    But they also have sixpacks of Tsingtao (6x330ml) for 6.99 :)

bagels wrote: »
    Looking for John Smiths ale in Galway, the extra smooth variety in the green can. Would be grateful for information about stockists and price. Thanks folks.

Wetherspoons are going to sell it here in their pubs so hopefully it will be available in Tesco or Supervalu later.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/agribusiness-and-food/heineken-back-on-wetherspoon-s-menu-but-not-in-ireland-1.2055095

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

GaGa21 wrote: »
    Anyone know of any deals or best price seen for Jack Daniels Honey? My local tesco didn't have it-33euro there usually.

€26.99 in O'Briens at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 23,846 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

that made my day, been ages since this was available anywhere and last time they had it was 1.49 each
    won't been needing chang for quite a while now :D
    But they also have sixpacks of Tsingtao (6x330ml) for 6.99 :)

nice stuff that also
    costs 9.20 in dunnes for 6 of those

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

mailburner wrote: »

nice stuff that also

Dunnes Cornelscourt had them at €6.99 for six as well this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

that made my day, been ages since this was available anywhere and last time they had it was 1.49 each
    won't been needing chang for quite a while now :D

nice stuff that also

But Chang and Tsingtao are terrible beers, they might be grand as a 30 degrees thirst quencher on an Asian beach but I wouldn't buy them if I had the option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

But Chang and Tsingtao are terrible beers, they might be grand as a 30 degrees thirst quencher on an Asian beach but I wouldn't buy them if I had the option.

One man's meat......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭RayCon

My local Tesco (Celbridge) are clearing Kronenbourg 1664 Bottle Pack 12 x 330ml for €8.00 .... Yellow stickered so maybe store specific but worth a check

kronenbourg_bottle_18pk.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,070 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

FYI its only 5% abv not the 6% you get in Thailand.
    Still good though!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,846 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

each to their own I guess but I'd be a fan of these, tiger, asahi, beer lao
    arent these a hell of a lot better than p1ss like miller, corona, bud corrs lite etc?
    what are good beers in your opinion?

Hell I wish I liked miller and the likes so at least I could be drinking stuff costing less than a euro a bottle rather than 4 big tigers for a tenner when on offer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭badker

Try perlenbacher in lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭et101

badker wrote: »

+1 or Rheinbacher in Aldi I can't tell the difference. Chilled, they are really nice beers

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭yknaa

badker wrote: »

Yup and currently 8x500ml bottles for €7.90.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Bulmers 24 for €26 in Tesco (Dundalk) late xmas present from them :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Saw naggins of Smirnoff for 4.99 in the Ice Box offie connected to Charlestown Shopping Center, Finglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

8 cans of Guinness 11 euro in Aldi, picked some up this lunchtime,.

M

Tesco
    Heineken, Coors 24x500ml €28
    Smirnoff 1 litre €28

SuperValu

Corona 12x355ml €15

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Eurospar

20 Pack 33cl bottles 'Canadian Beer' €12
    Promotion ends 25th (or when the limited supplies run out)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

each to their own I guess but I'd be a fan of these, tiger, asahi, beer lao
    arent these a hell of a lot better than p1ss like miller, corona, bud corrs lite etc?
    what are good beers in your opinion?

Hell I wish I liked miller and the likes so at least I could be drinking stuff costing less than a euro a bottle rather than 4 big tigers for a tenner when on offer

Well I'm a big fan of craft beers (love pale ales) but they are pricey. Those Asian lagers are very poor quality beers full of cheap adjuncts like rice and corn. Like I said, sitting on a beach in Thailand in the roasting heat they are a very refreshing drink and they give you a bit of a buzz too. If I was on a budget here I'd probably drink some of the Lidl/Aldi German beers or Praszky which is made by Staropramen. I actually picked up a couple of cans of that Galahad in Aldi for 79 cent just to see what the hell it would taste like and I'd put it on a par with those Asian lagers. Not far from sparkling water with a bit of alcohol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

user2011 wrote: »
    Bulmers 24 for €26 in Tesco (Dundalk) late xmas present from them :cool:

Theres only 18 cans in those Bulmer slabs :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement